Purchasing a vehicle out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Purchasing a vehicle out of state?

Hello all,

I currently live in northern Nevada, and the closest dealership to me is Niello Acura of Sacramento. Has anybody had any experiences purchasing a vehicle out of the state that you reside in? I'm looking to make a purchase either in Concord, CA, Sacramento, CA, Salt Lake City, UT or Ashland, OR, but I'm not sure how it all works with regards to paying taxes and moving the vehicle out of that state. Does the dealership handle all that for me? I also heard on this forum that CA is looking to raise their car tax rate...there's a car tax rate? I thought you just have to pay for the state tax or sales tax? If this is the case I was looking to purchase from Oregon, since they do not have any sales or state tax...right (can anyone confirm), and pay for the taxes and registration in Nevada (7.37%).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-S
Old 09-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

that won't work. You can't buy from other state because your insurance company, plate, etc... It's pretty complicated, but im sure of it that you can't purchase from other state and bring it back to your state.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Advanced

but what if your state doesn't have a local dealership? there is a dealership in las vegas...and they suck. there has to be a way to purchase out of state...right

any other thoughts?? :'(
Old 09-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by CraZydudE
that won't work. You can't buy from other state because your insurance company, plate, etc... It's pretty complicated, but im sure of it that you can't purchase from other state and bring it back to your state.
That's not true. I bought my car in NC, and moved to NJ the next day. I had a temp registration in NC, but paid NJ tax and got NJ registration and plates. As long as you have an address in the state that you wish to register, it's not a big deal. The plates and registration were mailed to my new address.

As a matter of fact, a slip came with the plates/registration that allowed me to skip having the car inspected here, since it was a new car purchased in another state. So, the state has a procedure for dealing with this sort of thing as well. The only trick is that you have to pay sales tax for the state in which you register... that keeps people around here from buying in Delaware (a sales tax-less states) and registering in NJ or PA.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally posted by jcg878
That's not true. I bought my car in NC, and moved to NJ the next day. I had a temp registration in NC, but paid NJ tax and got NJ registration and plates. As long as you have an address in the state that you wish to register, it's not a big deal. The plates and registration were mailed to my new address.

As a matter of fact, a slip came with the plates/registration that allowed me to skip having the car inspected here, since it was a new car purchased in another state. So, the state has a procedure for dealing with this sort of thing as well. The only trick is that you have to pay sales tax for the state in which you register... that keeps people around here from buying in Delaware (a sales tax-less states) and registering in NJ or PA.
hmmmm....... very strange, my salesman told me it was unexceptable...I guess my salesman was a lieing son of a bitch. He probably told me that because he wanted me to buy the TSX there
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Advanced

jcg878: did u have to pay for tax in the NC and in NJ when you moved? I kind of figured that you would pay for taxes that you register the car in, but what about the taxes that you have to pay for purchasing the vehicle out of state? double tax???...ouch
Old 09-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Purchasing a vehicle out of state?

Originally posted by overkast
I also heard on this forum that CA is looking to raise their car tax rate...there's a car tax rate? I thought you just have to pay for the state tax or sales tax? If this is the case I was looking to purchase from Oregon, since they do not have any sales or state tax...right (can anyone confirm), and pay for the taxes and registration in Nevada (7.37%).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-S
When I lived in both Virginia and North Carolina (not simultaneously), I had to pay a car tax. In those states it's a personal property tax, assessed several times a year and based on your car's value. I'm not sure about Virginia, but in NC the sales tax on new vehicles is only 3% (6.5% or so on everything else) to compensate.

Unless the rules are different out west, you won't have to pay CA's car tax since you don't live there. BUT you will have to pay Nevada sales tax and registration fees. Oregon won't save you any money versus California since you shouldn't be double-taxed.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

jcg878: did u have to pay for tax in the NC and in NJ when you moved? I kind of figured that you would pay for taxes that you register the car in, but what about the taxes that you have to pay for purchasing the vehicle out of state? double tax???...ouch
outkast - you snuck a post inbetween mine!

I only paid NJ taxes/registration. It wasn't too bad.. the only issue was getting new car insurance since I was moving to the state of car insurance hell!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Advanced

jcg878: certain parts of northern CA state tax/and or sales tax is 8.25%, whereas in northern Nevada it is 7.37%. if I purchase from Oregon (without sales tax), I would get away with paying Nevada's tax of 7.37% rather than CA's 8.25%...right? and that 3% car tax wouldn't apply to me since I don't reside in that state?....woohooo! Good to know

thanks for all the info.

-S
Old 09-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by CraZydudE
hmmmm....... very strange, my salesman told me it was unexceptable...I guess my salesman was a lieing son of a bitch. He probably told me that because he wanted me to buy the TSX there
that sucks- where did you get your car?? Sound like he was full of shit!

When I bought my saturn a while back in nj, the guy told me that they didn't put the front plate mounts on the cars since sometimes they'd have Philly people buy cars here.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

jcg878: certain parts of northern CA state tax/and or sales tax is 8.25%, whereas in northern Nevada it is 7.37%. if I purchase from Oregon (without sales tax), I would get away with paying Nevada's tax of 7.37% rather than CA's 8.25%...right? and that 3% car tax wouldn't apply to me since I don't reside in that state?....woohooo! Good to know

thanks for all the info.

-S
Wow, I thought taxes were bad here. Based on my experience, you'd pay 7.37%. 7.37%... how the hell did they calculate that??? Has it gone up 0.01% per year for the past 37 years???

Since NC's tax was 3% versus NJ's 6%, I considered buying it with my NC address, paying the 3%, registering it there, moving, then changing to NJ and paying registration here. Too much of a pain in the ass to save $200-300 though.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:04 PM
anti-dentite bastard

You should check your state's DMV web page for information about bringing in a car from out of state. I know for California it says that if you buy a car in another state and bring it into California less than 90 days after the purchase date, you have to pay California taxes. It does not say if you have to pay the other state's taxes, but I'm pretty sure you don't (as long as you don't register it in that other state). When you buy the car, the dealer will ask you the exact location that you will be registering the car (I bought my car 2 weeks ago in a different county than where I live, and they had to look up the county's tax rate because they said I had to be taxed at the rate of where I live, not where I bought it). Also, the rate increase in CA that people have referred to is the Vehicle License Fee, which is part of the registration fee (so it's a tax/fee above and beyond the sales tax)- it is tripling October 1, but since you will not be registering your car in CA, it should not have any effect on you. Good luck with whatever/wherever/whenever you decide to buy your new car!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:10 PM

I sell cars to people out of state every week. I work in Missouri however the Kansas border is a 1/2 mile away. It is no big deal.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally posted by jcg878
that sucks- where did you get your car?? Sound like he was full of shit!

When I bought my saturn a while back in nj, the guy told me that they didn't put the front plate mounts on the cars since sometimes they'd have Philly people buy cars here.

It was ardmore Acura&VW dealer on mainline
Old 09-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone...the information that you provided was exactly what I needed to know.

-S