Project Save a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Project Save a TSX

i bought this car about a week or two ago. its an 05 with about 60k miles.

something with in the electrical system had cause an engine fire. I believe it was the alternator wires. but after a full day's worth of work, the car is almost ready to start. it actually should have started already, but when i cranked it, the fuel line started spraying every where. so thats the last part i need to get and after that it should be working fine, just as new!

as you can see in the picture, the Hi-pressure PS hose also burnt down and i know that there was a recall on that, which was performed already so i couldnt get acura to replace another one. So i ended up buying a brand new one and it was about 10 minutes to replace it.

Other than that, are there any other major issues or problems that i should be aware of?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
i bought this car about a week or two ago. its an 05 with about 60k miles.

something with in the electrical system had cause an engine fire. I believe it was the alternator wires. but after a full day's worth of work, the car is almost ready to start. it actually should have started already, but when i cranked it, the fuel line started spraying every where. so thats the last part i need to get and after that it should be working fine, just as new!

as you can see in the picture, the Hi-pressure PS hose also burnt down and i know that there was a recall on that, which was performed already so i couldnt get acura to replace another one. So i ended up buying a brand new one and it was about 10 minutes to replace it.

Other than that, are there any other major issues or problems that i should be aware of?
I'd try to nail down the cause of the fire; hate to see the same thing happen to you. Salvage title? Hopefully not.... Couldn't be much fun replacing all that plastic stuff at the base of the windshield (and everywhere else for that matter), but I suppose if the price was right.... like any damaged car purchase, it may have been a good find.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes!

Can you take it back or is the insurance handling this?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 PM

i bought this car from the owner after insurance had totaled it out and paid the owner off. But great news is that it turned on fine and everything, but i had a CEL, P2176 " Throttle Position Not Learned"
I erased it but it would come right back. The accelerator wouldnt work at all and the car would only stay idle.

So i had the car towed to a honda dealership where my friend was going to use the HDS and see if he can make the ecu relearn it. but a weird thing happend when the car got towed there. Right when my friend started the car, the accelerator started working fine and he could rev it up easily. We cleared the codes again and nothign came one. Did the oil change and replaced all fluids. Now its running perfectly fine. just need to change out tires and a couple of small suspension parts in the back and its good to go!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
i bought this car from the owner after insurance had totaled it out and paid the owner off. But great news is that it turned on fine and everything, but i had a CEL, P2176 " Throttle Position Not Learned"
I erased it but it would come right back. The accelerator wouldnt work at all and the car would only stay idle.

So i had the car towed to a honda dealership where my friend was going to use the HDS and see if he can make the ecu relearn it. but a weird thing happend when the car got towed there. Right when my friend started the car, the accelerator started working fine and he could rev it up easily. We cleared the codes again and nothign came one. Did the oil change and replaced all fluids. Now its running perfectly fine. just need to change out tires and a couple of small suspension parts in the back and its good to go!
OK, so since it was totaled, it must have come with a salvage title? Were you able to get insurance for the car? I know things are kinda loose in Texas, but I've always been under the impression that insurance companies hate to pay for a car twice (even if another company paid for it first). Just curious.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, awesome
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Did you repair or replace the engine? Looks like you got a nice DD for cheap
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Simba91102
OK, so since it was totaled, it must have come with a salvage title? Were you able to get insurance for the car? I know things are kinda loose in Texas, but I've always been under the impression that insurance companies hate to pay for a car twice (even if another company paid for it first). Just curious.
it is a salvage title now. And you can definitely get insurance on a salvage title car again.

Salvage is not the only kind of title out there. there's also, "for parts only", "export only" and some others, but i cant remember. Now these titled cars are the ones that cant come back on the raods and insurance companies wont insure them.

Originally Posted by Aman
Did you repair or replace the engine? Looks like you got a nice DD for cheap
No, same engine, there was no damage to it. Only the valve cover and everything else on top.
No DD, I bought it to fix it up and resell it.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it is a salvage title now. And you can definitely get insurance on a salvage title car again.

Salvage is not the only kind of title out there. there's also, "for parts only", "export only" and some others, but i cant remember. Now these titled cars are the ones that cant come back on the raods and insurance companies wont insure them.

No, same engine, there was no damage to it. Only the valve cover and everything else on top.
No DD, I bought it to fix it up and resell it.
nice, i bet you'll make a pretty good lick.