problems with dension icelink

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with dension icelink

just installed the dension icelink kit and would like to know if anybody else is experiancing slow response from the ipod when using the dension interface. i got a 3G 15GB ipod.. and i mainly use it in the ipod UI just because i cant stand the lag.

let me knowyour experiances with the dension icelink.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think it's well established that the Dension UI is both slow and small (does not fill the screen). My two month old unit is back at Dension for repair/replacement since it just stopped working. Quite frankly, their customer support sucks and if I had to do it again, I'd consider something else.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would reflashing the Firmware on the Ipod help out with this

Are you running the latest, greatest firmware?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Not really, when you're plugged into the Dension cradle, it uses it's own interface and not the normal Ipod menus.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It's possible that the latest greatest FW from their web site would help.

One problem (explained to me NOT by IcelInk but by the prez of Blitzsafe) is that the iPod AAC (Apple Accessory Interface) is very slow as serial data buses go... so making the HU databus (which is usually fast) and the Apple databus (which is usually slow) creates some sync issues on the data lines on the micros they are using.

I would key in on that last part... that they are using. Better micros would no doubt turn the trick... but up both the poer-unit BOM cost and the startup cost for firmware development tools.

I have experienced glitchy operation on a couple of icelinks that we have installed on Sony radios. I will probably pull them out and replace them with new Sony-compatible units that will allow control AND display title info on screen - these are shipping a a couple of weeks to me. I have a customer who called today whose Icelink stopped recognizing the iPod.

For now we are focusing on a less expensive version of the icelink that does audio and charging and has no controls - I like their cradle and then I can then use anybody's SHOND-style adapter.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

eldude,

Interesting, what is this less expensive option?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 PM
VP Electricity

They call it the I20 AUX Mini...it doesn't COME with a cradle so I have to get one separate. It's about 1/2 the cost of the full Icelink, but add in the SHOND and it's about the same in total cost.

There are cheaper solutions - Blitz is just introducing their charging and line out iPod adapter for a little over 1/2 of the AUX Mini, but it doesn't include a cradle and I really like the icelink cradle.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Advanced

i'll have random problems with the icelink once in awhile.

like it'll be playing, then all of a sudden stop working. the volume gets really low and it seems like a connection problem. im not entirely sure what it could be? maybe overheating in the dension unit?

its getting to be a pain in the ass having to reconnect everything everytime the icelink trips out.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
honk not beep

interesting.. I have the icelink (not plus) and i haven't had any problems with it thus far. Maybe the added functionality of the icelink+ is causing problems?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gCHOW
i'll have random problems with the icelink once in awhile.

like it'll be playing, then all of a sudden stop working. the volume gets really low and it seems like a connection problem. im not entirely sure what it could be? maybe overheating in the dension unit?

its getting to be a pain in the ass having to reconnect everything everytime the icelink trips out.
Unfortunately my wife was driving so I'm relaying her recollection of what happened.

She said it was playing fine, and then the volume dropped off and got real soft. She tried switching sources to the radio and it came on at normal volume. She then shut off the radio completely and when she turned it back on, it would not come on at all.

Now it seems like the icelink is dead. The radio no longer selected the Cd Changer when hitting the CD button. I checked the connections and they were fine on both sides of the icelink module and at the radio. I disconnected the power (both battery terminals) and reset the iPod itself.

Nothing worked. After several e-mails, missed calls, non-returned calls and an indifferent tech support guy, I finally got someone to give me a RMA. I FedExed it late last week, it was received on Monday, but no word or e-mail from them since.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 PM
VP Electricity

I had a customer today whose Icelink would not recognize the ipod all day yesterday. I talked to a very helpful tech support person at icelink (first time!) and he told me to reset the iPod by holding the menu and play buttons together for about 5 seconds, until the screen drops out. Then the apple should appear for a few seconds and then it will comeback (no data is wiped, you're just resetting the microprocessor).

We did that and no issues since. But it was intermittent...

Have you tried that yet?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Advanced

i did that.. well i did it the first time the icelink kit messed up and it worked fine. but a couple days later it just got messed up again.

no fix for this?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

i did that.. well i did it the first time the icelink kit messed up and it worked fine. but a couple days later it just got messed up again.

no fix for this?
Me too, the first thing I did was reset the iPod with the menu/select thing. Then I tried to reset the icelink by disconnecting the battery terminals (both). These were both at the suggestion of Dension tech support. Nothing worked.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
VP Electricity

Just checking... looks like I'll be replacing them soon...
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope they have this issue figured out, I still haven't heard from them on mine. It would really suck for them to keep it for a month and then come up with some kind of story that "we've never seen this before" and say 'no warranty' For some reason I don't have a lot of faith in them right now. Eldude, maybe as a dealer you can get some "inside" info on this?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I hope they have this issue figured out, I still haven't heard from them on mine. It would really suck for them to keep it for a month and then come up with some kind of story that "we've never seen this before" and say 'no warranty' For some reason I don't have a lot of faith in them right now. Eldude, maybe as a dealer you can get some "inside" info on this?
Well still no word on this! I send them a follow up e-mail yesterday just to see what the status is... no answer. I gotta tell you I regret working with them. I should have followed my instints when some questions were 'brushed' off before I placed my order. The only reason I went ahead with it was because I didn't see anyone posting any problems with the product. I figured that as long as it worked, I wouldn't have to deal with their customer service! Right now Dension gets a rotten from me!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow, i didnt think so many people had so many problems. i personally have gone through 3 of these little buggers. most of them were programming faults caused by retarted directions, and of course the slow UI. but i do have to say the staff is VERY knowledgeable and was willing to take back the parts if i was willing to mail it to them.

he suggested first to bring it back to best buy, and with no questions i got another one, exchanged. basically the whole craftsmenship of the product is pretty good, i do have to this from expirence, espeically today since i took apart the whole docking station because i got a new ipod case. with little work i was able to get it to a nice plug. all the internals were done up quite nicely

so with that, tongiht i will load up my ipod with my cds and take it along my way. after dealing with my freinds n their ipods, with the FM adapter, i think the 199 was well spent here. even if it was 150 bucks more, but looking at my other options its well worth it. that and now this is the best quality the ipod can deliever to my radio.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I don't know about going through three units! Its kind of expensive to be sending them back from Hawaii! Oh well, sen them another e-mail that went unanswered.....
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
Well, I don't know about going through three units! Its kind of expensive to be sending them back from Hawaii! Oh well, sen them another e-mail that went unanswered.....
buy them at best buy, they dont ask questions and when they do explain it to them. you get the best looks when you start to explain how the firmware wasnt installed properly from the factory, or something of the sort. theres no shipping fees beucase your driving. trust me, i dont think id want to pay to send it to california, im in florida!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
7thGenAccord

just wondering how long have you guys use the icelink before having problems with it? i had mine for a month and half and it died while i was driving. i had to turn off the car and turn it back on to get it to work. only happen once tho. oh yea my ipod does not turn off when i turn off the car. it turn off sometimes. anyone else have that problem??
Old 07-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
buy them at best buy, they dont ask questions and when they do explain it to them. you get the best looks when you start to explain how the firmware wasnt installed properly from the factory, or something of the sort. theres no shipping fees beucase your driving. trust me, i dont think id want to pay to send it to california, im in florida!
There is no Best Buy here in Honolulu (yet, they're building now). I have no choice but to mail it.

For the poster above, I had mine around 2 months. AND, if anyone's interested, no reply from them yet!?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xjdmb16a2six
just wondering how long have you guys use the icelink before having problems with it? i had mine for a month and half and it died while i was driving. i had to turn off the car and turn it back on to get it to work. only happen once tho. oh yea my ipod does not turn off when i turn off the car. it turn off sometimes. anyone else have that problem??

your ipod is on a timer, the screen comes off (dension) then it goes to ure normal ipod mode from there itll shut off on idle.

ive had mine for a while, it only died when i went to update the firmware. i guess it was the wrong one or something, they said it would need a simple reflash and to mail it or return it. he said hed do it for free.

i just called the number, it was long distance but it was on the cellphone so it doesnt matter.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 PM
8th Gear

Can anyone with a 2004 TSX w/ Navi send me an email: dta@NOSPAMPLEASEcomcast.net (take out NOSPAMPLEASE).

I want to know who the best poeople are to go to to get this installed. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing it myself. I don't really understand what the extra harness is that I need. You can also just reply to this post if you want. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
VP Electricity

If anyone wants, I am an Icelink dealer and I can sell you a plug and play kit for the 2004 w/nav. It would use the subharness mentioned in the FAQ for the SHOND3, and it would cost you about $275 plus shipping - but it would be plug and play with pictorial instructions for your car (becase we have a 2004 w nav : )
Old 07-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
If anyone wants, I am an Icelink dealer and I can sell you a plug and play kit for the 2004 w/nav. It would use the subharness mentioned in the FAQ for the SHOND3, and it would cost you about $275 plus shipping - but it would be plug and play with pictorial instructions for your car (becase we have a 2004 w nav : )
Are you including the subharness and/or the SHOND3 in the price eldude? I'd be interested in that or another solution. PM me maybe.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I finally got mine back today, so it looks like it will be my weekend project to reinstall everything. They had requesed that I send back all the wire harnesses so I've got to pull these through the car again.... pain in the butt!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
10th Gear

I just picked up the ice>link:plus today at Best Buy and surprised at how easy it was to install. I haven't mounted it yet as I'm unsure about keeping it after reading all of this. I did notice that the adaptor between the aux input and the dock is very hot. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

yes it does get VERY hot, i too was a bit nervous putting it next to the material (i have my running down the center console) the first install i had put two pieces of wood like tounge depressor just so that its not right up against the carpet and wont rub against the metal. now its just sitting there. i think its fine.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Advanced

yeA mine gets VERY VERY hot as well.. and its not only when the ipod is playing.

i'm still experiancing problems with the kit as the volume drops after 30-40 minutes of listening time.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeA mine gets VERY VERY hot as well.. and its not only when the ipod is playing.

i'm still experiancing problems with the kit as the volume drops after 30-40 minutes of listening time.

really.... hmm well i took my ipod on a trip the other day and i ran it until the battery died so say it was about 6 to 8 hours. no problems
Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, I read the temp on my old defective one and it was around 105 at the hottest place on the circuit board. Due to the short cables supplied, my unit sits right next to the gearshift in my S2000. This is directly over the transmission and I'm sure myne gets even hotter!

Anyway, I got my replacement unit back and installed this weekend and so far so good.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
VP Electricity

The flat spot that gets hot is the microprocessor.

I guess the thermal conductivity of heat shrink isn't so good : )
Old 07-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by elduderino
The flat spot that gets hot is the microprocessor.

I guess the thermal conductivity of heat shrink isn't so good : )
Well I can't imagine it's doing THAT much processing.... maybe they need a "smarter" processer that doesn't work as hard....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Faster, please.

So is it worth it to get this thing (the Icelink)? I don't want to spend that kind of money if it's going to give me nothing but trouble.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
10th Gear

I have an 05 non navi and would like to use an Icelink. In looking at the Denison website, their compatibility checker doesn't list any options for the 05. Is this true? Anyone else using the Icelink/Icelink+ with an 05? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by daddydliv
So is it worth it to get this thing (the Icelink)? I don't want to spend that kind of money if it's going to give me nothing but trouble.
When it works, its well worth it. IMO if I could have gotten mine from Best Buy, at a local store, returns might have been easier. It's funny, sure it's 250ish, but compared to what we used to spend in car audio.... well it's a drop in the bucket! Heck, I've still got some old audio stuff in the garage, Nakamichi PA-304, some soundstream crossovers, Nakamichi TD-500. Here are some pics of an old Integra we did back in '94-95. Gee the cost of the Ice>link doesn't seem so bad now.

Our old '94 Integra
Old 07-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Slippy maybe...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using my iceLink (purchased from the wonderful elduderino) for the last month and a half or so in my '05 non-NAVI TSX. No problems whatsoever here. I'm actually happy I decided to go with the iceLink instead of one of the other options I was considering.

I've drilled a hole in my storage bin (the one for CDs in the centre stack) just large enough for the round plug to snake through and then made my own grommet to close it up a bit. The cradle just sits in there.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:19 PM
10th Gear

I've read several posts regarding the speed of the ice link. With mine (I have a 4th gen 20GB), switching between songs is instantaneous, and switching between playlists takes maybe 2 seconds. I was a bit miffed because it didn't appear to be charging while it was playing.

Now that I have read the book, the settings control the charging as well as the time delay between changing the playlist. It has a 2 second delay to allow changing between playlists that are farther apart.

I do wish that the radio displayed the song playing, but I guess it isn't critical. Overall I'm happy but I hope that I don't experience the problems that others have. I'm surprised that BB didn't offer the extended protection plan like they do on most everything else. I think I'll take the time now to mount the cradle instead of throwing it in the glovebox. Has anyone mounted theirs on the dash or by the shifter using the ProClip? I would like some pictures if they are available.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Shit, looks like mine died again! I think I need my money back and I'll look into another solution!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 AM
10th Gear

Mine hit the crapper the other day for a bit. I returned it to BB and think I will go with the soundgate solution. not as fancy; should be more reliable.

Quick Reply: problems with dension icelink