Problem with Acura OEM Foglights/Hondacuraworld.com?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:07 PM
TSX, baby!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with Acura OEM Foglights/Hondacuraworld.com?

Guys and girls,

I had *2* problems with the 2 orders I placed with www.hondacuraworld.com and I'm trying to solicit feedback.

The first problem was with the OEM Foglights I bought - they came with the box very dented and when I laid out the parts, I noticed that one of the lights had the glass/lens missing from the light and the switch/wiring harness was missing. It appeared to me like it had been a return or someone had already opened the kit.

When I called up, I first spoke to Shawn, who was very nice and was going to set up the exchange. But then Tim (the manager) came on the line and it turned into (what I think) is a major ordeal.

I explained the problem to Tim and he said he wanted to try to "get more information about the problem to make sure it isn't a sign of things to come". He first asked me if I could take pictures of the lens missing and send it to him (I don't have a digital camera, so I couldn't), but I'm pretty shocked as a customer that it wouldn't just be a simple "you have a problem with your order, let's just exchange it". Then, after I was getting upset and said "I'm verbally explaining what's wrong, isn't that enough", he said that was fine.

So, I'm asking (for me and for Tim) has anyone else had any problems with their OEM foglight kit (whether it was bought from hondacuraworld or anywhere else)?? I'm thinking this is *one* isolated problem with my order, but for whatever reason, Tim wants to "open a case" to see if this is a sign of a problem.

We hang up and then about 20 minutes later another order I placed with them arrived, mudguards. Well guess what? They sent me ones for a Honda Element.

I have to say that although I can understand Tim's point about wanting to make sure it's not going to be a problem in the future, I'm a little surprised that he wouldn't just simply exchange my order and that's it. Why do I need to be worried/involved in the "investigation"?

The last time him and I spoke, he said I would be getting exchanges of both items and he would be opening up the foglight kit before he sends it. I told him to not open the sealed plastic bags inside (since I want to ensure I'm getting a *brand new* kit and not a "used" one). He said he would try not to open the bags if he could avoid it. The whole things sounds weird to me.

***PLEASE NOTE*** - I'm not spreading ill will about them - yet. We'll see how the return process is handled and how my new items come (hopefully sealed in their bags)

Finally, Shawn told me I they would send me some extra stuff to make up for the trouble (before I spoke to Tim), so we'll see what happens with that, too. If they go above and beyond to make up for the initial trouble, they will earn a good review/writeup.

I'm probably just upset about nothing and I just need to vent, but I'm a little surprised that I would have to explain myself so intensively and it wasn't just a smooth "I got something defective, can you send me a new one?" I'm used to service like that when something goes wrong.

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2003, 01:36 AM
Blueberry

That sucks, hopefully it'll work out!
Old 09-06-2003, 02:09 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Problem with Acura OEM Foglights/Hondacuraworld.com?

We could hardly blame you for getting mad here. It sounds like you were getting a really raw deal, and you are right that they should be forthright and fix it as soon as possible. Glad you shared this story with us. I've spent a few hundred at that site myself, and will be careful to watch them in the future.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:13 PM
TSX, baby!

Thanks for the votes of confidence, I appreciate them.

Again, I'm not (yet) saying that there is a problem with hondacuraworld - I'm just trying to gather information (just like Tim said he wanted to gather information on my foglights) to make sure there isn't a problem.

Only 2 replies? C'mon - I'm sure more than 2 people have purchased from hondacuraworld. I'd really appreciate some feedback from you guys - that's what makes us such a cool community - we help each other with our experiences.

If people have had GOOD experience with them, then post it - it will make me (and others) feel confident that they will do the right thing when a problem arises. If people have had BAD experiences with them, then post that - it will warn us from problems in the future.

As I mentioned, Tim demanded that he was going to open the new foglights to ensure they aren't problematic. I told Tim that I wanted all the components to remain in their sealed bags and he should only *visually* inspect everything - if I get the new ones and they look used or the bags are opened, I will return them and never deal with them again. I paid for NEW foglights, not opened ones, and if the parts are out of their bags, how do I know they weren't a previous return, etc?

I understand his point - that he wants to ensure I don't have a problem with the next set, but c'mon - have you ever heard of a store that if they should sell you something broken or defective opens the next/new one to ensure it's ok? That would make it sound like there are major problems with the product, and to the best of my knowledge, no one has had any problems with foglights.

Am I off base here?

Thanks to all who reply!
Old 09-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Instructor

I purchased the trunk tray from them and had no issues at all.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Racer

I too bought the fogs and muds from HondaAcuraWorld. My parts arrived complete and in good shape. My door edge guards were on backorder, so they took longer but did arrive in good shape. To compensate for the backorder, they express shipped the other stuff so I could install them that weekend. I've found these guys very helpful and customer oriented. My only problem with them was that their online installation instructions had bad links. I told them a couple of times and it wasn't taken care of. They even had their webmaster email me to find out what was wrong and he didn't believe me the links were bad and it still didn't get fixed for a while. I hope your experience is an isolated case.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Racer

I bought my fogs from them. The only problem I had was when I ordered them, the site billed my CC but didn't put what I ordered. I'm pretty sure Tim is on these boards, maybe you could PM him?

I kind of got the feeling they were blaming you for breaking them?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:30 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Just ordered the fogs, cargo tray and net so we'll see. With how much exposure they get from here and the club via group buy's I'm sure we'd hear of problematic orders by now. Perhaps they were just being extra cautious that your problem wasn't indicative of bad production vs UPS shipping. (that would suck if their recent batch of X fog light kits were effed by the factory)

Keep us updated though.

-r
Old 09-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Bought all season floor mats with no problems! Good service!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The only reason that I had asked questions regarding this order is because I didn't want to have another set of foglights travel to California to realize we've got another issue.

Please understand that I can't rectify the problem if I can't identify what the problem is. I'm sorry if you had felt that my many questions were implicative, but if I didn't examine the products that I'm shipping you before I ship them the second time to rectify the problem, that wouldn't be very responsible of me.

When I'm dealing with (a relatively) new product, and there's a problem with the contents, I have to be sure that (1) the situation is made right immediately, and (2) that nobody else has the same problem. If I didn't ask questions and just sent another set without regard to the contents, how can I be sure that it happens correctly?

I'm simply trying to be proactive here and nothing more.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:08 AM
BDI
Banned

A friend of mine and I both ordered kits for our cars from Tim and got nothing but the best service from him.

I've also spoken on the phone/AIM with him a few times and he seems to be a really nice guy.

He only asked you all these questions just to make sure the problem doesn't occur again.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Problem with Acura OEM Foglights/Hondacuraworld.com?

Originally posted by Y2K4 TSX

I explained the problem to Tim and he said he wanted to try to "get more information about the problem to make sure it isn't a sign of things to come".
Thoughts?
Maybe, just maybe, Tim was worried about some of his own staff mishandling or mix-matching orders. Perhaps he already had some other order problems. If you put that thought into context, perhaps the "sign of things to come" wasn't directed at you, per se? Who knows!
Old 09-08-2003, 01:56 PM
wiz
Pro

I ordered the all-season floormats from them and had speedy delivery and no problems at all.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ordered the all-season mats and had no problems at all. also ordered the trunk tray 2 weeks ago and according to UPS tracking should be here this week
Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
TSX, baby!

UPDATE: I got a call from Tim today and it appears that he didn't understand the problem I described. (which doesn't make me feel any better, because I spent a decent amount of time explaining what the problem was, and the problem is explained above, and I know he read this post) - but at this point, I give up. I just hope it all works out.

Anyway, I re-explained that one of the foglights was missing the lens and it was also missing the switch/connector. He said he would send out the new set today, along with the proper mudguards, along with something for my trouble.

I've heard so many good things about hondacuraworld, so I hope this really was just an isolated case. I'll keep 'ya posted when I know the final outcome.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-12-2003, 02:48 AM
TSX, baby!

I promised I'd reply when this situation came to a conclusion - so here I am.

I received the correct set of mudguards and a new set of foglights. The foglights *were* opened to visually inspect each piece, but Tim did respect my wish to leave each piece sealed in its individual plastic, which makes me feel comfortable about the replacement set.

Everything was there and in new condition on the set, and they also sent me 2 really nice TSX keychains for my trouble. I'm thinking 1 keychain for each problem?!

They also sent me a prepaid (and pre-filled out!) mailing label to return the incorrect mudguards and "incomplete/broken" foglights.

So, all's well that ends well.

I am happy now, but I want to add my 2 cents on this whole situation.

Since I had *2* problems, I'm still wondering if my problems were isolated experiences, but in the end, everything is fine, and Tim kept his word.

They say feedback and input are the ingredients for a successful business - so here's some of my own:

When a customer has a problem, no matter what that problem is - you should ask the customer would he or she would like to do (within your posted policies) and then make it happen.

If you read the replies above, Brad eluded to the possibility that Tim could have been investigating problems with his own staff, and ssm_tsx said something that I felt, too - that maybe it was my mistake.

You should never doubt the customer or involve the customer in a problem that the customer didn't create. It might foster a suspicious and unhealthy customer relationship.

I realize there are devious customers out there and businesses need to protect themselves, but again - when someone calls up with a problem, my feeling is that you shouldn't involve the customer in the problem - just fix it and then figure out and correct whatever happened internally (and transparently!)
Old 09-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Racer

i'm glad your stuff is finally here and everything ends happily ever after.... now u just have to get the fog lights installed:P . As for 2 keychains, i'll happily take one off your hands.