From Prelude to TSX... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Powered by Hondanium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool From Prelude to TSX... opinions?

Hello all!

After months of reading reviews and hopping around in this forum, I am basically conviced that the TSX is my next car. Currently, I am the proud owner of a '97 Prelude that has been absolutely outstanding. In fact, if Honda had released a new Prelude, I probably would not be on here right now, but sadly that isn't the case. Either way, I'm finding myself getting a little older, a little calmer, and stuck in Boston traffic much more frequently. So as I get around to looking at my next car (probably looking to buy this March), I find myself looking at more than just sheer performance. Now I'm not quite at TL level yet, but the idea of heated/power leather seats for these sub-zero winter mornings, a 6-disc changer to pass the time on the Pike, a back seat that my friends might actually want to sit in, and a trunk that can hold a decent amount of groceries ...these are all sounding like very good things. Plus, it's an Acura, and I have always loved Acuras (learned to drive stick on a '94 Integra). The seats are of special concern as I have an hour plus commute each way and the Prelude seats just don't feel as comfortable as they once were (eating too many donuts on the way in, I guess).

So here's my question:
Do we have any ex-Prelude owners (or at least folks that have driven a 5th gen. Prelude around the block a few times) out there that have switched to the TSX? How does it stack up? Am I going to be kicking myself for giving up the Prelude 2 weeks after I buy the TSX? Or am I making the best decision ever here? Or somewhere in between?

Either way, thanks for all your posts, the TSX sounds like a great car!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Ex Lude owner

Hi There....I have alot to offer on this topic as an ex lude owner! I had my 97 Nordic Mist for 2.5 years. Pretty modded at about $8000! In the time I owned the car I put 80K on it driving at least 70miles round trip to work every day. I found myself in the same exact position you are in right now. Growing tired of the lude seats, the poor handeling in the snow, the exhaust and keeping up with the mods! It was my baby in every way...parting with her was not easy at all and i still miss her! SHHHHH...I was crying as I left her in the Acura lot and drove off in the TSX! It's only been a month and I still think I am going through some seperation anexity!

HOWEVER, I call the TSX my grown up car! And I do love it! I swore up and down that i was not going to mod this car...that I was going to leave it alone...but I am getting ready to order a set of Comptech Springs as I type this and all I can think to myself is "here I go down this road again!" Not sure if you are into modding but don't think that if you are you will stop when you get this car! I am sure someday I will like this car as much as I loved my lude! The TSX does have many, many nice features that the Lude did not...to many to name but they are easy to figure out!

I can tell you this though...and I hope anyone who reads this does not take it the wrong way.... The TSX is not a Prelude, does not look like a Lude, does not feel like a Lude, does not get looks like a Lude! For some reason I was thinking that this car would be everything to me that the Lude was and to be honset...those are some big shoes to fill!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm an ex lude owner, the TSX seems more nimble but cornering is definitely not near the lude, the steering is a little bit better than the lude in terms of road feel but is still numb, just not as numb as the totally non communicative steering in the lude. brakes i feel are a bit weaker than the lude. TSX is for grown up/old lude owners, i feel the lude has the edge in performance while TSX is more of a comfortable sedan for someone that needs a little more pampering.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
CDR
Instructor

I drive a 6MT TSX and my spouse has a 99 Prelude SH (5MT) which I also drive frequently. Both excellent cars, but the TSX is MUCH more comfortable while retaining most of the nimble handling quality of the Prelude. When we go someplace together, we almost always take the TSX because it's much quieter (and she loves the heated seats!). The Prelude is annoying loud (IMO).

I chose the TSX over the TL and 325. Compared to the TL, I liked the smaller size, more nimble handling, and interior layout. A TL would seem huge compared to a Prelude! Compared to the 325, I liked the (potential) reliability, up to date interior design, and value. I missed the 325 engine and handling, but only for a little while.

TSX negatives compared to the Prelude? Not many for me. Visibility is a bit worse (and the Prelude isn't great either in this). More body roll than the SH. Weaker brakes relative to the weight of the car. A little slower (but the TSX power seems smoother and makes it more fun to drive, to me).

Just my opinions; whether you like the change will depend on what qualities are most important to you.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Bound for Europe

I owned an '82 Lude and I gotta say the TSX will not dissapoint you one bit. It kills my old Honda in every category!

Seriously, I'd probably be driving a Prelude if Honda had redesigned it instead of killing it off.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I used to own a 2000 Prelude, and my advice is definately hold on the the Prelude until it is certain that the build quality of the TSX has been improved.

Rattles are problems for many users on this board (do a search for rattles to see) and I would hold on till that lude until Acura gets off its butt and issues a recall/service bulletin or improves it's build quality.

Others will probably disagree, but as a recent owner of both, I often wish I had held on to my prelude a little longer.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CDR
I drive a 6MT TSX and my spouse has a 99 Prelude SH (5MT) which I also drive frequently. Both excellent cars, but the TSX is MUCH more comfortable while retaining most of the nimble handling quality of the Prelude. When we go someplace together, we almost always take the TSX because it's much quieter (and she loves the heated seats!). The Prelude is annoying loud (IMO).

I chose the TSX over the TL and 325. Compared to the TL, I liked the smaller size, more nimble handling, and interior layout. A TL would seem huge compared to a Prelude! Compared to the 325, I liked the (potential) reliability, up to date interior design, and value. I missed the 325 engine and handling, but only for a little while.

TSX negatives compared to the Prelude? Not many for me. Visibility is a bit worse (and the Prelude isn't great either in this). More body roll than the SH. Weaker brakes relative to the weight of the car. A little slower (but the TSX power seems smoother and makes it more fun to drive, to me).

Just my opinions; whether you like the change will depend on what qualities are most important to you.
doesn't your lude have heated seats mine came with heated seats and heated mirrors as well
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Mighty1 I'm with you on this one. I have an 02 RSX Type S and would love to switch over to a TSX for the room and the luxury but I'm not one who deals with rattles and squeaks that well especially on a Honda product. I hadn't planned on waiting till the 05's came out but by then maybe Acura will get the kinks out of the TSX. I've been over to the dealer several times and they know I'm biting at the bit to buy one. How long can i postpone my purchase remains to be seen....I might get weak.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Instructor

another lude owner here !

I really loved my 98 prelude (2.0 litre euro version) but needed something a bit bigger and roomier.

The Euro Accord (TSX) beats it easily on power and refinement

BUT I'm positive so far in my 2 months of ownership that the lude handled a lot better.

About build quality that seems to be a US issue ?

The Euro versions are yet to seen with any problems (touch wood)

Go for it you won't be disappointed.

I too wish a 6th gen Prelude had been produced :-(

Ernie
www.eazi-k.com/car - my euro accord
Old 01-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my buddy 00Prelude00 and raced... straightline. The TSX and Lude were EXACTLY the same, other than he shifted before me through every gear. (both of us took our resonators out too, he's running a K&N drop-in, I'm not)

He would probably have me in cornering unless I changed tires to something more grippy and lowered my TSX.

The only thing he doesn't like between the cars is his wintertime knocking from the rear shock tower (well known issue for the lude).

I don't like the weak a$$ braking from the rear on my car.

All-in-all, he's stated if he had to replace the Prelude he said, "I think the TSX is a 4dr Prelude, it's the closest replacement Honda has. The RSX type-S seems like a step back to me." So I think that sorta speaks volumes.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I still have my '99 Prelude - wifes daily driver (4AT). The TSX and Prelude are 2 completely different cars. I traded the '98 Accord for the TSX. The TSX is more refined and as mentioned more comfortable. The VTEC is certainly not as pronounced in the TSX but it is a different engine altogether. You will not be disappointed with the TSX but to lessen the performance change get the 6MT.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have my '97 lude. in terms of performance, the lude definitely feels faster thru 1st/2nd gears due to the gear ratio. my lude also corners better but then a stock TSX. but what the TSX loses on in performance, it's a winner on all other aspects. there is hardly any cabin noise, ride is smooth, more space, bigger trunk, comfier seats, and better MPG. you also dont get that loud engine sound when you're revvving up to vtec...even tho that was one of my fav things on the lude
Old 01-29-2004, 02:01 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm also an owner of both a 98 Prelude SH and a 04 TSX 6MT. You won't go wrong with the TSX. But IMO, if financially allowed, keep the Prelude also. My Prelude has almost 120k miles on now, it's a retired auto-x car with 2 regional championship titles under its belt, every day when I drive the car, I still tell myself "damn, this car still pulls strong!"
Old 01-29-2004, 07:27 PM

vwong, I think we've owned almost the exact same cars (see my signature). Also, my GS-R is R.I.P. also. My friend totalled it a month after I bought it. Thank god for insurance. So, what car are we getting next?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

i also had a 98 lude SH and then had a 2001 TL. i used to regret sometimes trading the lude for the TL but now that i have the tSX i feel like im still driving the lude and still have the cool factor of the TL. so in my case i would say you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

I had a '92 Fresco Blue Pearl Si Prelude. I bought it just when that body style came out. It was gorgeous. The TSX is the spiritual successor to that car but more practical. And it's even quicker and handles as well (or better).
Old 01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

I have a 95 prelude srv and waiting to get my white 2004 tsx in two weeks from the dealer. Am i ever so glad i'm trading the firecracker in....!!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:32 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Ozzman
vwong, I think we've owned almost the exact same cars (see my signature). Also, my GS-R is R.I.P. also. My friend totalled it a month after I bought it. Thank god for insurance. So, what car are we getting next?
I noticed that too! Good choices of cars you had there! Next car? Hmm...I've had my eyes on the 04 S2000 lately.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: From Prelude to TSX... opinions?

Originally posted by Mighty1
...Either way, thanks for all your posts, the TSX sounds like a great car!
Glad to have you here, Mighty. I've never driven a prelude, but I need to advise you to start looking for a new interior/exterior color combo on your future TSX. Black's not availible with Quartz interior (or I'd be in one). Sorry.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

My first car was an '88 Prelude.. I owned it from 96 to 98. I don't guess that helps much, though.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Well, I have had my new TSX for just 6 days. I was having fun for two years driving my 98 Prelude MT when it was taken away from me. I was rear-ended on the interstate. She was bad off in the front and rear. My black/parchment NAV 6spd TSX is certainly more practical. I now have a car that others will regularly ride in. I think it looks more conservative also which should help hide away from traffic cops. (I tend to have a heavy foot). What do I miss about the LUDE? It felt better in handling as far as confidence goes, although not as solid feeling as the TSX. The VTEC in the Prelude was just fun when getting high up in the tach. The TSX definately has more low end torque which is much more practical. I rarely ran the prelude to redline...i just felt like i was asking to get pulled over. Regardless, I am out of college and starting my career. It was about time to get in a more sophisticated, professional looking car. Those who are not DRIVERS will never know how much fun this car really is to drive.
I've got about 300 more miles to go before break-in is over. That is when I will be able to give a better judgement. Honda/Acura really did their homework with this car. It is easy to pretend that I am driving a hot new German ride. Then I smile and think about how many more times a German car would probably be in the shop....after warranty.
In the end, both cars are great. I just feel like the TSX is a perfect combination between the Lude and German luxury.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by vwong
I noticed that too! Good choices of cars you had there! Next car? Hmm...I've had my eyes on the 04 S2000 lately.
Oh man, that would be sweet.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was a Lude owner as well before I got my TSX last April. I had a 1991 Prelude and when I traded it in I had 161,000 miles on it. I bet I could have gotten over 200,000 miles on it, but I was ready for something new.

Here are some pics of the old and new...

http://www.cifrancis.com/newcar/
Old 02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX is like the mature brother compared to my '97 Prelude. I loved that car, but I like the TSX even more. It is not quite as performance oriented, but it still handles nicely and has WAY more luxury. The TSX is much more comfortable on the road, more refined, and has a bigger trunk. Also, the tranny on the TSX is a killer, much better than the Prelude's even though that tranny rocked.

Get the TSX!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Race Director

i've only been in a prelude once, my aunt's 90 prelude with that 4WS remember that!

cool car at the time, but too bad Honda ditched the lude, cause in 2001 no one really wanted to buy the Prelude no more
Old 02-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
[B!

but too bad Honda ditched the lude, cause in 2001 no one really wanted to buy the Prelude no more [/B]
Um wrong I was 15 in 2001 and my number one choice was the Prelude and 4 months b4 I was 16 they stopped making them and what a terrible day that was for me I wanted the SH in Electron Blue (the nicest color ever created) but good thing is Honda knew how upset I was and created the TSX for me to get next go with the TSexyX
Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by MoMocedes
Um wrong I was 15 in 2001 and my number one choice was the Prelude and 4 months b4 I was 16 they stopped making them and what a terrible day that was for me I wanted the SH in Electron Blue (the nicest color ever created) but good thing is Honda knew how upset I was and created the TSX for me to get next go with the TSexyX
No man, just in general when I was at various Honda dealers back in 01, the sales managers and sales reps told me that no one was looking at the ludes anymore and said that from 97-01 prelude sales dropped each year.