Potential TSX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential TSX Owner

I'm looking into getting a new car this summer, and TSX looks really good (from what I've seen on the web; haven't gone to dealership yet). Here are the cars that I am trying to decide between:

1) TSX
2) TL
3) Accord
4) H3 Hummer (unlikely option)

My main question with TSX: is there enough room for 4 adult passengers to fit comfortably in it for prolonged periods of time?

Another question: is the built-in navi worth it? Is it intuitive, or is it distracting?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
theres plenty of room and yes the navi is more than worth it...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:35 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, the TSX is the smallest of the bunch. Why, if size is a concern, would you want the smallest car out of your choices? I have fit 4 passengers for 3-4 hour trips fairly comfortably, but they probably would have been more comfortable in those other cars.

The navi, if you want it, is very intuitive and not distracting in any way. Whether it is worth it is a question only you can anwser.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LOL...what the heck is that Hummer doing in there?? Any of the other 3 are great choices. Everyone who's sat in the back of my TSX has been fine as far as I know.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 PM
for EVER more!

As far as fun to drive is concerned, I'd have to go with a 6spd TSX. It was the 3rd car I test drove (along with an AT TL, MT TL, and Camry XLE) and it was BY MILES, the most fun thing I've ever driven; more fun than some of the porsche's I've gotten the privelege to drive.

That being said, I'm 6'2" and my dad is 6'5". During the test drive in both the TL and TSX, we moved the front seats to comfortable driving, riding positions for us, and then sat in the back. We both had plenty of room. The TSX has cutouts for the back passenger's knees, which means his legs won't push the driver or front passenger -- this sounds dumb, but those inches make a huge difference for tall passengers and drivers. For the money and fuel economy alone, the TSX seems to be YOUR BEST choice.

Why get an accord when you can get all the options you probably want STANDARD in a TSX? Why get a Hummer with gas at $3.00+ a gallon -- I find that to be idiotic and driving a hummer comes with a huge stereotype -- one i'm not a huge fan of. The TL is just a bit too big and "old" for me -- but I'm not quite 22 yet, so keep this in mind.

The refinement of the TSX for the money makes it an incredible value. Your choices don't really let this be a contest worthy of having. But please do keep in mind this is a TSX board, and these guys/gals proally wont spend time bashing something they just spent $30k on.

That being said, the complaints here are available for the taking. I did a search for them and found they were all minor and fixable. There are some general quirks (I want a Sirius option too), but all in all, the TSX is unbeatable.

Good luck in your decision and be sure to keep us up to date.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer the navi question: Yes, it is totally worth it. I would never get a car, particulary an Acrua/Honda which has the best, without one. I do like to travel and explore, so I find it incredibly useful, and while it is by no means perfect (the "Points of Interest" is missing a lot of stuff and has some silly bugs), it's really close a majority of the time.

It can be distracting if you let it, but if you set your destination beforehand and just listen for the voice cues, it's a lot less distracting than searching for street name signs instead of looking at the road.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as we're on the subject of comfort here. Not sure about the H3. But i sat in the back seat of the H2. I'm 6'3 and i dont really consider that much taller than average. But my head would be up against the liner on the roof of the car on the interior. I was kind of stunned. I figure a car that big ought to at least be able to fit someone of average size. After asking the salesperson he was all like "well... you're a big dude." and i said "well... that's a big car". He then shrugged. Oh well... so much for that. I'm sure an H3 being even smaller though... it might be a problem if you are taking longer trips. Front seat was ok though.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Hummer? Are you out of your mind? Poor GM quality, Poor fuel economy, UGLY IMO. Hummer drivers, like an earlier poster said, have a stereotype, one I wouldn't want. It seems they "need" the Hummer to compensate for things they are lacking

The other three cars are all excellent choices, go drive each of them and make your decision. Here are my thoughts:

Accord - I hate the new tailights when they light up (brakes applied).
TL - Big car, nice looking, but a bit bloated looking, sucks more gas than the TSX and does not handle as well.
TSX - Best of all worlds, best looking, best handling, best fuel economy (vs TL), higher resale I think.

If your looking for a fast car - 0-60, get the TL. The TSX is very adequate though. You could also wait for the '08 TSX, rumored to possibly have a turbo.

I chose the TSX for many reasons, but here are two of the main ones - No turbo, I wanted a naturally aspirated engine, have owned three turbos previously. I wanted a four cylinder - Lets remember what MADE Honda's famous - High revving reliable four cylinders.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:26 AM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

Sit in the cars and see for your self. The Accord and TL have about the same room and the TSX a little less; but its bigger inside than you think. The TSX has probably the best materials of the cars your looking at. The TL has better door panels but thats about it. The TSX is a lot of car for the money. The fact is that getting 1000km to a tank on mostly highway with 65mph driving is very appealing for a car that delivers as much fun as the TSX. If you want power and want an AT, don't look at the TSX, its good (which is better than fine) but not like the V6's in the Accord and TL.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Advanced

I must chime in with get the Navi well worth it. I would not buy another car without it.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
for EVER more!

If you don't mind a wire or two, an aftermarket portable GPS will suit you fine. I considered getting navi, but I can get a TomTom with bluetooth traffic technology that automatically downloads new Points of Interest on the fly, and use this when I travel on business to make sure I know where EVERYTHING is.

I will update you all on the TomTom when it comes -- anxious to see how all the bells and whistles work, etc. I am moving to a completely new part of the country (PA-->FL) next week, so tom and tom will be holding my hands....
Old 05-29-2006, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you all for your advice. The Hummer is off my list now