Possible Recall on 6sp tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Possible Recall on 6sp tranny???

I just heard from a friend of mines that our tsx 6sp might have a recall ...
The recall is supposedly stating to fix 2nd gear where shifting to 2nd gear is really hard to do. I do kind of experience this in my 2nd gear and also my 6th gear. Just called the dealer to check about it too. But the guy said no info of any recall on manual transmision. since this is not first hand info .. i might be wrong. but any info would be great.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did your friend get his information?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Say it ain't so.........!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

they never fixed it on the RSX, I wouldn't bet on it for the TSX either
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my friend got his info from a friend who works at the acura dealership i go to... found out his friend is also my friend! so we three are all friends. My homie Trigun (random name for security issues) works at the acura dealership i go to and he recently just worked on a tsx 6sp tranny about 2nd gear being hard to get into. something about lubbing the gear (i dont know). but i've experience this also .. but mainly with my 6th gear. i warm up the car for 1 min .. then drive to the freeway staying under 3k rpm per gear .. once i try to shift into 6th .. feels like there's a mechanical lock or something .. but i cant get into it. so i shift back to 5th .. drive up to 3500 rpm .. and shift back in .. i then 50/50 am able to get into 6th gear. maybe tranny needs to warm up to shift up to that high .. who knows .... any info again would be appriciated
Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Hondaholic

There were technical bulletins about the RSX 6MT; there could, I suppose, be one issued for the TSX, although the problem is far less common than on the RSX.

I seriously doubt there ever be a recall; the tranny would have to be locking up and causing the car to flip over before a recall kicked in. Thy don't issue recalls for minor irritations such as synchros grinding on occasion when cold. Go to any forum for any car made today and you will find a percentage of people with occasional 2nd or 3rd gear grind........
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
but mainly with my 6th gear. i warm up the car for 1 min .. then drive to the freeway staying under 3k rpm per gear .. once i try to shift into 6th .. feels like there's a mechanical lock or something .. but i cant get into it. so i shift back to 5th .. drive up to 3500 rpm .. and shift back in .. i then 50/50 am able to get into 6th gear.
It sounds to me that you may have pulled a little too much to the right when you try to upshift from 5th to 6th. My wife and I never have problem shifting to 6th.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Pro

IMO, the 1st to 2nd shift is a user problem, not a tranny problem. All it takes is a little practice and patience between gears.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crisco
IMO, the 1st to 2nd shift is a user problem, not a tranny problem. All it takes is a little practice and patience between gears.
thats what i think too. the tranny is difft then a generic stick shift tranny, gears are closer in ratio, you have to shift sooner, you have to release the clutch a little faster etc. the 2nd gear goes in notchy if you do it at a lower rpm and let the clutch out too quick or too slow. the engine is designed to rev high, so bring up the 1st gear rev, and then switch smoothly into 2nd and let the clutch out moderatly quick, but still smooth... it should be fine. i tend to have a jerky and notchy shift just because im used to (and too lazy) to rev it higher. so long as you do , it works fine.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why people think that Acura will not issue a recall. I don't have any problems with mine but I know that the last gen TL had a recall for a similar transmission lubrication issue on 2nd gear I believe. That's what separates most of the American manufacturers from the foreign. Honda/Acura has been very proactive in issuing recalls and free maintenance on the dealer's dime for issues that have come up. I think as a community though, we shouldn't all rush out to demand a fix... there are people with over 30-40K miles now with no problems so were not talking about a Pinto gas bomb or anything. Let the system work through and don't over analyze every shift thinking there is something wrong.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
thats what i think too. the tranny is difft then a generic stick shift tranny, gears are closer in ratio, you have to shift sooner, you have to release the clutch a little faster etc. the 2nd gear goes in notchy if you do it at a lower rpm and let the clutch out too quick or too slow. the engine is designed to rev high, so bring up the 1st gear rev, and then switch smoothly into 2nd and let the clutch out moderatly quick, but still smooth... it should be fine. i tend to have a jerky and notchy shift just because im used to (and too lazy) to rev it higher. so long as you do , it works fine.
what crack are you guys smoking? the 1-2 shift is just notchy, its not a user thing. it was the same on the RSX, its a "problem" with the transmission, although its more of an annoyance than anything. Please run your car up to 7400rpm and shift to 2nd and tell me its smooth, if you quick shift (like you can do from 2->3) you'll grind the crap out of the synchro.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by xizor
Please run your car up to 7400rpm and shift to 2nd and tell me its smooth, if you quick shift (like you can do from 2->3) you'll grind the crap out of the synchro.
I do that a few times every night on my way home from work, and I've never had anything but a silky smooth shift. I will say that 2nd gear is hard for the first few shifts when it's cold out (like below 20f), but it doesn't grind.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by LannyM
I do that a few times every night on my way home from work, and I've never had anything but a silky smooth shift. I will say that 2nd gear is hard for the first few shifts when it's cold out (like below 20f), but it doesn't grind.
Lanny do you have a short shifter? It might be my car, but as far as I can tell, 2nd cannot take a very very fast shift.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Racer

Lanny do you have a short shifter? It might be my car, but as far as I can tell, 2nd cannot take a very very fast shift.

Very True.
It also feels to me I can shift into every gear except 2nd with just slight pressure on the clutch. 2nd needs the pedal pressed down just slightly more.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
04 remembrance

Well, I'm too lazy to bring up my previous threads regarding tranny issues, but after getting it fixed twice, it's not hard to believe Acura might issue a recall.

Just for those that are not aware, I first took my car in for "notchy" 1-2 transitions, then second time for gears that "popped out."

The 1-2 shifting transitions been notchy again, but I'm accustomed to it and I've adjusted the shifting timing and clucthing timing to nullify the "jerks", but regardless, it's defintely not an "user" issue.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Hondaholic

I have one on order, should be here this week.

And I'm not saying that there couldn't be a problem with your particular car. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem anywhere near as commonplace as the RSX-S, and there's no recall for that car.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't know....

I've driven a friend's RSX with the 1-2 "problem" and it didn't feel anything like mine. Plus you have to consider that the biggest gap in tranny ratios is form 1st to 2nd gears (3.267 to 1.880 ). When you shift fast, you're making the synchros do more work than usual. I think that's what folks are feeling.

I'd say they'll issue a TSB at best like they did with the RSX. This won't qualify for a recall unless there's the potential for it causing an accident -> death/injury -> Honda getting sued.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
I don't know why people think that Acura will not issue a recall.
Because recalls are usually only done when required by the Federal Government. Additionally, the Government only requires manufacturers to do mass recalls when the car can potentially become a safety hazard (i.e., catching on fire, dying on the freeway, etc..) A notchy 2nd gear doesn't seem to fit the typical criteria.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Hondaholic

Right. The 5AT recall was due to the possibility of the tranny locking up from inadequate lubrication and bringing the car to a spinning stop on the highway........