Pollen Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Car Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ ^ ^

That's just naaaaaaaasty! Just imagine what crap you'd be breathing in without the pollen filter!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just ordered one. $19.26 shipped to my door.

I had a similar bizarre markup experience with my former Civic at Jiffy Lube. They wanted $45 to replace the filer - it was a $15 part at Napa.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Is the NAPA filter HEPA or not?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't breath.... must step inside TSX....

lol do ppl even spend time outdoors anymore?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Is the NAPA filter HEPA or not?
I really don't know.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt HEPA filter costs $14.00
Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlukja
Ordered replacement pollen filter from www.fleetfilter.com (the website says its backordered right now). What I received was a Napa Gold filter that fits perfectly in the filter tray behind the glove box. The OEM filter has an extra ridge in the middle and the filter material feels just a bit more stiff than the Napa. The Napa feels to be made of the same material.

The replacement took all of maybe 10 minutes. Here is what my old filter looked like after 20K miles.

i don't want to sound stupid, but how do you replace these yourself? do you have to remove anything?

it popped up on my service reminder this time, but i don't go to the dealer. i'd like to do this one myself if it's a 10 minute fix.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
I got the Accord 03-06 pollen filter less than $20 from the Honda dealer and they fit exactly the same as well.
+1; plus Acura wanted a million bucks to install one in my TSX and the parts guy at Honda walked out and installed one in our 03 V-6 Accord ( two minutes counting walk time) to show us how in the future???? I use the 03 Honda Accord filters on the my TSx.. (three minutes as I walk slow)...
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
i don't want to sound stupid, but how do you replace these yourself? do you have to remove anything?

it popped up on my service reminder this time, but i don't go to the dealer. i'd like to do this one myself if it's a 10 minute fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=pollen+filter

and do a search as there other threads with pictures...in 3g TL section also....easy to do...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bradykp

Follow these directions:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=355466
Except for step 3.

In step 3, locate the plastic tabs on the inside of the glove box along the side walls. They attach to the glovebox wall and hold the stoppers in place. You can pry them up with a flathead screwdriver. Better yet, push in on them from the outside of the glovebox. They are held in place by small compression tabs. Once the tabs release the platic piece will go into the box allowing the stoppers to clear the sides. The plastic tab/stopper can be removed completely (or you can let it hang) so make sure you remember its orientation for when you need to put it back in place.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

^^
I just realized that the procedure is in my 04 Owners Manual. Here is a link (with drawings): https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404O00260B.pdf

Who would have thought to look in the Owners Manual.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
jlukja, thanks for all the links and information. I haven't yet opened my glove box (the wide way) to inspect my filter, but will now be able to do so soon. My car is only 2000-3000 out of the Certified shop (total ODO 38,000), and I'm hella curious if they replaced the filter this summer, or simply left it from the last servicing. Doesn't seem to be on the certification checklist.

We get lots of pollen, and the haze this summer Sucked with a capital S. I imagine a yearly, if not biennial, replacement is a good idea to keep the HVAC running at peak, and keep the interior clean and healthy.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

^^ the pollen filter replacement is on the 30K mi. maintenance list. So, if the previous owner let the dealership do the maintenance then your pollen filter was changed about 8Kmi. ago. If its the original filter then, , post pics.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 AM

No telling if it was changed at 30,000, or during certification (roughly 35,000), but it looks like the latter. I put in a Purolator so I could "measure" use indications at controlled intervals.

... So, I took the opportunity to buy a couple of filters (Purolator, Honda) and compare them. I'll post the results of that in a separate thread.

For this, I took a few extra pictures, as there weren't any that clearly showed how the glovebox stops are released.

The right-hand pneumatic arm is simple. A "C" hook fastens on a bar on the glovebox lid. Just push back gently to release, and it ought to recede out of the way.

The stops are snap-in pieces that attach from inside the glovebox. The bumper stop itself fits through the hole, and sits forward of the hole (facing the engine firewall). To remove, hold the glove box slightly above the point where the stops hit the dash fascia. The stop can be released with a soft pry bar or screwdriver under the lip of the stop on the inside. I found I could put my finger through the hole and just push it into the glovebox to release. They're identical on both sides. You may need to close the glovebox a bit more to get the bumper through the hole and out.

If you're finicky like me, you might want to clean and dress the rubber bumper with a little protectant.

There's a string to hold the glovebox from swinging loose, but don't drop it too hard, as the fastener isn't very sturdy. Emptying the glovebox is probably a wise idea.

The air filter tray is removed by pushing two release tabs inward. It's just like the Honda Accord unit pictured here on Temple of Vtec (you can see the pneumatic arm clearly here, too). Looks like the same air plenum part, to me.

The filter on my '06 slides into the tray, with the filter's "air flow" indicator matching the tray's. On the fore and aft end, the outermost vanes of the filter fit into a slot.

Related part #'s: Napa 4815, Purolator C35519, Honda 80292-SDA-A01 (made by micronAir).

As mentioned, this is so easy, a 10 year old can do it. No reason to have a dealer perform the replacement. And if what I'm seeing on mine is an indication, even the Acura recommended replacement interval for urban environments is too long. According to the micronAir FAQ, "In order to ensure optimum filtration performance, micronAir cabin air filters should be replaced every 15,000 to 30,000 km, but at least once a year. We recommend replacing the cabin air filter before the pollen season, meaning at the beginning of the year and in autumn, so as to guard against misted-up windows in the winter months." I'd say that's wise advice from the horse's mouth, particularly when the filter costs roughly $16, either for the Honda/micronAir unit on discount, or the equivalents from Napa and Purolator.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I just changed mine at 11K and it was very dirty - I threw it out before pics, but it was black with lots of debris in it. I'm definitely thinking once a year...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

I just replaced mine after reading this thread. It was very dirty at 23K.. I asked the dealer how much for a new filter..$39.95.....and for them to change it it was a $115.00 Service.. This is why I don't go to the dealer! Went dow to NAPA and did it myself for 18 bucks.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Follow these directions:

Except for step 3.

In step 3, locate the plastic tabs on the inside of the glove box along the side walls. They attach to the glovebox wall and hold the stoppers in place. You can pry them up with a flathead screwdriver. Better yet, push in on them from the outside of the glovebox. They are held in place by small compression tabs. Once the tabs release the platic piece will go into the box allowing the stoppers to clear the sides. The plastic tab/stopper can be removed completely (or you can let it hang) so make sure you remember its orientation for when you need to put it back in place.

jlukja, do you have photos for this step? I looked at my glove box and can't see what you're talking about. I'm afraid that I may screw up and snap a cheap piece of plastic and there goes my glove box and I'd have to bring it in and spend $$$ more than I would've otherwise had to had I brought it in (80+miles away) to the nearest Acura dealer to change my filter! I'm at about 12k miles and wanted to see how dirty is it.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Instructor

so should I get oem pollen filter or aftermarket?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cestmoi
jlukja, do you have photos for this step? I looked at my glove box and can't see what you're talking about. I'm afraid that I may screw up and snap a cheap piece of plastic and there goes my glove box and I'd have to bring it in and spend $$$ more than I would've otherwise had to had I brought it in (80+miles away) to the nearest Acura dealer to change my filter! I'm at about 12k miles and wanted to see how dirty is it.
Look at the first 2 pics posted by davidspaulding in post #54 above. In the first photo the stoppers are in place (but the glove box has been pulled out to show it). Just put your finger in the hole and push from the outside in. The stoppers will fall into the glove box. (just like davidspaulding described in his post).
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 AM

I dislike the word "should," but...

Originally Posted by JDMPLUS
so should I get oem pollen filter or aftermarket?
Sorry that I haven't yet posted my pics comparing a Purolator to a Honda to an Acura filter.... I spent this weekend de-badging, washing, clean/waxing, primping, beautifying, etc. New thread coming in the next few days.

IMHO the Purolator is a comparable filter, I have it in my TSX now as a "urban environment longevity test," but the Honda part looks slightly better to me. The one I got at a dealer was made by micronAir (link to their information PDFs, including carmaker references and part # conversion list). If you can find the Honda/micronAir Accord filter discounted online (can't remember the link, maybe a Mighty Mod can post) for $16 or so, that's only a few $s more than the Purolator or Napa. I can see almost no visible difference in the overseas Acura and the Honda/micronAir filters except for a glue stick ribbon across the center of the Acura part, which IMHO serves no purpose when the filter is in place.

If you're in a hurry, I suspect that most Honda dealers have the 2006 Accord filter (Part #80292-SDA-A01) in stock. From Crown Honda Chapel Hill/Southpointe (NC), it was roughly $25 plus tax. micronAir recommends semi-annual replacement, so if you can get the filter cheaper, why not buy two or three and change it with every other oil change?

Addendum: according to micronAir's product range document (47 MB PDF), the Honda's can't be retrofitted with a combi-filter. Dang.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM

I'd forgotten the Bosch cabin air filter #P3875 (for 2006 Honda Accords) ... a couple of Amazon vendors sell it for $18-19 (plus s & h), you might find a competitive price elsewhere. Bosch claims superiority, but I haven't seen one (yet).
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Addendum: according to micronAir's product range document (47 MB PDF), the Honda's can't be retrofitted with a combi-filter. Dang.
Correction:

I didn't dig deep enough into micronAir, their US site offers both a particulate and fancier combi filter for the 2004-2007 TSX, part #'s HN03104P and HN03104C. (HD03104P is the part number that's on the Honda Accord filter I bought at a dealer.)

HN03104P

=> micronAir information on all Honda - Acura cabin filters
Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Instructor

how much are those oem pollen cabin filters?

where can I get them for cheaper?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Cruisin'

Lightbulb

I got the same filter at NAPA AUTO PARTS for half the price of the dealer AKA...the Stealer! I also picked up the regular car air filter for cheap.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Older. Wiser. Faster.

Advance Auto Parts has them in stock from Purolator for les than $14. I put one in 2 weeks ago, no problems.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tNumber=C35519
Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM

Angry

Ha-ha,... have you read this thread? (Didja get that memo?) We can post links for you, but we can't click them for you. You have to do your own shopping. Google is your friend.

I've seen the Honda part (presumably the Honda/micronAir US-made part) for $16 from a discount site. jlukja posted earlier that he got a Napa Gold 4815 from fleetfilter.com; YMMV.

Anyone who's bothered to read this thread would've already picked up on these links. Don't ask again, or "I'm gonna hafta shoot'cha." (Stormtrooper, Troops)
www.fleetfilters.com
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/
http://www.cabinairfilters.net/cabin%20air%209922TC.htm
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...Pollen+Filters

I got the same filter at NAPA AUTO PARTS for half the price of the dealer....
When you say "same filter," specify your brand, okay? If you get a Napa or Purolator filter, that's not the same as the micronAir or Bosch filter.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Thanks
Post your name, address, and credit card number and someone will order one for you and have it delivered.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Look at the first 2 pics posted by davidspaulding in post #54 above. In the first photo the stoppers are in place (but the glove box has been pulled out to show it). Just put your finger in the hole and push from the outside in. The stoppers will fall into the glove box. (just like davidspaulding described in his post).
I finally felt brave today and decided to go for it. I pushed the 'pluggers' out and expecting to snap some piece of plastic off but luckily, nothing was broken and this is how my cabin filter looks like at 15,288 miles, vehicle purchased on Oct 29 but didn't drive out the lot until Nov 1, 2006.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I know this is a thread revival, but I wanted to add my pictures to the thread...i have like 13,183 miles, and mine looked worse than cestmoi's

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...c/DSC01717.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...c/DSC01719.jpg

Obviously 13k miles is a long time to wait. I think maybe I'll do it every 10k miles
Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Thread revival? Bring it on. I'd like to see more used filters with annotation of how long it was in.

How dirty in how many miles? Clearly depends on where you're driving (road trips through locust infested fields, or urban jungles, or commute to and from work), but once you've pulled the filter a few times, it's probably clear how often each car needs it changed. I plan to buy them in 2s or 3s.

Of course, if you have one that's not REALLY dirty, keep it for a road trip, pull out the current filter, drop in the older, dingier one for the trip, then put the cleaner one back in when you get home. It's such a DIY, the options are many. For instance, we have nasty pine pollen from April to May or so in NC, I might have a cheap filter in for that mess, then put a cleaner one in for the rest of the year.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did mine last friday. I bought my filter at a honda dealer for 27 and change. I asked for a 06 accord filter and I didnt fully checkout the bag till I got home and it said element, so I guess the accord, element, tl, and tsx share the same sized filter.

Also a honda dealer (different from where I bought the filter) up here tried to ass rape me when I took the TSX in for an alignment. Good price on alignment and they did a great job for 60 bucks. But they told me my cabin filter is really dirty and needs to be replaced to the tune of $150! I feel bad for people who pay that to change the cabin filter...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Ask 'em where the potpourri goes in for that $150 change. Oh, and do they clean out all the vents with a special vacuum cleaner? I'd pay that for a total flush of the system from the filter to the outside air inlet. But only if it was dirty. :P
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nauticapinoy
so I guess the accord, element, tl, and tsx share the same sized filter.

Odyssey, too.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone else ever doused their new filter with an air freshener? I used some new car stuff from Autozone, the scent was pretty strong at first, but it mellowed out and lasted about 2.5 months.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Cruisin'

Man, I can't believe I haven't done this. I'm at 39,000 miles and I picked up the car at 15k...I haven't even looked to see how dirty it is. I'm picking one up at the Honda dealer tomorrow and I'll take a pic if it's worth showing!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by roguemoog
Man, I can't believe I haven't done this. I'm at 39,000 miles and I picked up the car at 15k...I haven't even looked to see how dirty it is. I'm picking one up at the Honda dealer tomorrow and I'll take a pic if it's worth showing!
Autozone has em by Purolator for like $14.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alucard13
By the way, I've said this before but I Hate Esserman Acura. The Smug bastards, if it wasn't that Rick Case is forever away I would never go there. I hope John J. Esserman reads this "You sir suck, you suck with all the effort and enthusiasm as a 2 dollar Tijuana hooker. If there was a sucking contest you would win the gold and literally blow away the competition. I feel nothing but remorse for the golf balls and hose you use to practice your sucking, and pray for the day when your will to suck has subsided and said items can find peace."
Question, did you go to the Esserman Acura by Dolphin Mall or the one off of US1? The one off of US1 is rated the best in Florida and one of the best in the Country. It has won that Acura Dealership award many times over. In contrast, the one by Dolphin Mall is quite the opposite.

I bought My CPO '04 from the Esserman Acura off of US1. nothing but good rating to them there. Very little haggling and got a phenomenal deal. They even swapped out my brakes, tires and headlamps at no charge. Not to mention the great service I had. very speedy and a very pleasant experience.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by roguemoog
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Autozone has em by Purolator for like $14.
See my DIY post for a list (not exhaustive, but representative) of part numbers for various manufacturers' filters for the heater/blower. Also: you might want to get that cheapie by Purolator, then get a Honda (US) filter for le$$ online. (Several dealers cut you a $9 or so discount off the local dealer MSRP for Accord filters. YMMV.)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input...I ended up buying a Honda one because I wanted it right away (driving to autozone is a PITA where I live).

Check it out...taken on a cell phone, the pic doesn't even come close to showing how truly dirty this thing was...between the pleats it was packed with dirt, broken leaves, and dust...I feel like an idiot for putting this off so long.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Always On Patrol

if u want a cheap but good smelling air freshner- take a dryer sheet (bounce or something) place it under the filter all the way opened on the tray than put the filter over it...every time u put the heat or ac on u will smell fresh linen! also if u think it wears out after a while--when u hit the button that closes out the vents- the recirculation button- it will smell again like fresh linen!! cheap and easy air freshner and smells awesome!!

Quick Reply: Pollen Filter Question