View Poll Results: Do you have Navi on your TSX?
I have Navi--it rocks!
53.71%
I don't have Navi--don't need no help getting around, thanks
29.71%
I have Nav - what a mistake!
0%
I don't have nav - I wish I bought it!
10.29%
I don't have Nav - In Canada, but want it.
4.00%
I don't have Nav - In Canada, and don't want it.
2.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Navi--"Haves" vs. "Have-Nots"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:34 PM
! deadmau5 !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozzman
On a side note, I'm a little surprised no one yet on the poll has said they've regretted getting the navigation yet. No buyer's remorse for anyone on a $2k item? I love mine, but I figured there would be at least a few who wish they saved the 2k.
Considering that the justification for this forum is that we are all enthusiasts, and all want to "improve" our cars -- appearance and performance mods -- it would be an uphill battle to get such a concession here. And it appears from another thread that Acura is purposefully limiting the supply of cars equipped with the navi system, to make ownership of one seem "dear".

A better type of survey question would explore how much people really used the navi, instead of having some benign thing sitting in the middle of the dash "ready to be of service". Big difference!

I have a fire extinguisher in each car, I've never used them -- but I don't regret having them one bit. With navi, there's always the chance that one time during your ownership cycle, it'll save your bacon. So you can't answer until the day you hand your keys over to a new owner.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=jginnane]Considering that the justification for this forum is that we are all enthusiasts, and all want to "improve" our cars -- appearance and performance mods -- it would be an uphill battle to get such a concession here. And it appears from another thread that Acura is purposefully limiting the supply of cars equipped with the navi system, to make ownership of one seem "dear".QUOTE]

I think these are both very poor points frankly. The concession that a person regrets purchasing their nav system really has nothing to do with performance mods and the like. The nav system is a factory option. In addition, there are many members here I'm sure that don't care to modify their car. I'm one of them.

As to your other point about Acura purposefully keeping the supply low to make the care seem more "dear", I would say it is more a function of the fact that they underestimated the percentage of buyers that want the navigation system. Look at the numbers. A majority want it and NOBODY regrets buying it. I don't think for a minute that our statistics are the same as the real world, but they do have SOME meaning. Acura clearly underestimated sales of the nav system and I also believe they produced too few manual transmissions.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
TSX JIGALO

Frankly, I did have buyers remorse on getting the Navi for the first few weeks... I thought I wont really need it since I travel only within Chicago. But I learned in the long run, it did save me from getting lost from a few wrong turns from long trips or even day to day driving and proved more than a navigational tool.

Not only it guides from point A to B, it help me found new routes and new points of interest as well. I can call ahead to see if the restaurant has long waiting or no waiting and even pre-order meals.

I know how gas prices are high esp. in Chicago so I was bored one day waiting for my mom to pick up her medicine. So I researched the NAVI for the nearest gas stations within 3 miles for what are their price of premium gas. Guess what?! I did found one near corner of Milwaukee/Touhy (CITGO @ $2.19). I know it was retarded and a good way to kill time.

Its true, driving with common sense, using PDA/CAR DECK GPS solution and using mapquest.com are ways to save money. Sometimes the hassles of asking directions, frustrations where to go or loss of time and gas to me are priceless.

To me PDA/CAR DECK GPS are great options but I rather have one with the car since its conviniently installed already for use. There's no argument that they are cheaper but feared of mechanical breakdowns and warranty hassles. I'm no mechanic so I opt for the IN-DASH version. If I was more incline to mod this car then my choice was to buy an aftermarket. Its all a matter of personal prefences.

In my opinion, these are the payoffs from getting a IN-DASH NAVI. Plus when you are ready to sell or trade, it will help you retain your overall car depreciation value.

Regardless, this NAVI will help you when you really need it or entertain you in some way when you're bored. Like I said, its all a matter of personal prefences.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i'm a guy. i can find out where i'm going without a navi.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dzuy
i'm a guy. i can find out where i'm going without a navi.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Advanced

we bought the TSX with navi so my wife won't call me anymore to ask for how to get from point A to point B, its one of those things that if you need it use it, and resale value of the vehicle would be higher compared to a non navi
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I bought the navigation because I was sick of my girlfriend giving me incorrect directions. Now I just let the girl in my navigation unit tell me where to go and I don't get lost nearly as often.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 PM
such a dirty birdy

I don't have the navi (Canada, eh?) but don't really miss it. Except for a once a week trip that my wife makes with the car (same destination each time), the TSX is our "city car". It has never been driven outside of the local area we know really well. If we're travelling a long distance, we use another vehicle. When I travel on business, I always fly and rent a car at my destination. I have a Garmin handheld GPS that I've used when travelling and on some wilderness trips. Works well enough for me. I'm not anti-navi (and I'm not your Auntie Navi, either!), it's just that it doesn't fit our pattern of use for the car. I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later though as they end up being more or less std equipment on some vehicles.

Yo Ozzman, you been on sabbatical or something? Haven't seen you post in months it seems. I'm sending some rep, dude. That single green dot looks lonely.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by Jason
That's surprising. Do you live in NYC proper? How often you drive?
Staten Island. My TSX is only 27 days old and she has 365 miles on her. Long hours during the work week, business trips and fishing (Atlantic Ocean not the Hudson) on the weekends has limited my driving recently. Also haven't done any road trips since college.

I do like having the Navi available because you never know when you need a map (there are some not so safe areas in NYC, really) and it does have useful features like listing locations of the nearest restaurant/bars, gas stations, atms, even the nearest Acura Dealer, etc.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Possessed with my Schemes

Originally Posted by majormojo
Yo Ozzman, you been on sabbatical or something? Haven't seen you post in months it seems. I'm sending some rep, dude. That single green dot looks lonely.
Thanks majormojo. I've been lurking but not posting a whole lot. I guess the longer I have my car, the less new things I have to say about my experiences with it. Anyways, thanks for the rep points. I appreciate it, although I'm still not exactly sure what there for.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

I do have 2 cars with navy, Accord 2003 (for 2 years) and the TSX - both are excellent.
Once you learned how to use this device, you can't imagine car without the it.

I've tested navigation systems in Nissan Maxima and Toyota Camry's Navigations, none of them even close to Honda/Acura.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yuri2i
Once you learned how to use this device, you can't imagine car without the it.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I think it's telling that after 130+ votes, no one who bought navi regrets the purchase. Can't beat that.

Clutch, who's in the "I-should-have-bought-the-navi" category
Old 07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Oh yeah... well, I have more Navi than you! lol... this thread seems to be getting so spiteful... sheesh... Navigation is cool, though...

My laptop serves other purposes in my car... Have an OBDII reader w/ 30sec capture that can be uploaded to the laptop to view and monitor A/F ratios, TPS, air temp, coolant temp, press, fuel trim, etc.... it does navi too... but I just use the navi in the car... =o) the palm GPS started to suck so I had to upgrade it with a 30k car... lol
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Max
Racer

After having my TSX for close to 6 months now I still love my Navi, it might be because I'm a lazy bastard who hates pulling out a map or because in general I suck with directions but it's been a lifesaver. Plus the fact that it has so many POI has been usefull, especially when me and my friends are out on the town and want to find something new to do, I actually found a really cool local club because of the TSX. Of course then there's the voice recognition, now generally I don't use it too much -mostly just for audio controls, but nothing impresses the ladies like casually pressing the button then saying "find nearest italian restaurant."
Old 07-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

>>I actually found a really cool local club because of the TSX.

So can we say that TSX+Nav got you laid ?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Max
Racer

Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
So can we say that TSX+Nav got you laid ?
Yes, you certainly may. :bananahump: