Plate bulb swap is an ordeal!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plate bulb swap is an ordeal!

I searched on this forum and the existing thread looks dead, so...

How do you change the license plate bulbs? I know you have to go in through the trunk lid under the carpet. I already did that. I've been trying to remove the housing to swap the bulb and its ridiculously hard. It won't budge. I can't get my fingers in there good enough to grip it, and it hurts furthermore.

The other DIY thread said to squeeze the release levers on the sides and it should slide right out, but its not sliding out. I also can't feel any release levers that actually move when you squeeze them.

Am I not pulling hard enough or something? Maybe I'm being too gentle as to not break it? Should I give it a good yank?

Let me know how you handled this.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I did the swap to LED license plate lights this weekend, it took about 20 minutes, mainly because I was trying to be careful. It is definitely easier to get to them from inside the trunk lid. There are three plastic screws that need to be removed to allow the carpet to come loose, plus pulling the carpet loose from around the 4" wide rubber tabs on each side and the inner trunk handle. I didn't have to remove the rubber tabs, the carpet stretched around them. Once you get the carpeting loose, and pulled out of the way, put your head up under the lid to see where the lights are connected from the inside. Squeeze the tabs on the sides of the light socket to get it to come loose (it doesn't take a ton of pressure). The bulb will stay plugged into the socket. Pull the light out, put the new one in, and snap the socket back into place.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Advanced

I just did mine also. Switched to white leds. Took em off from inside the trunk lid. It was easy removing the bulb bracket but putting it back in there was a pain. I had a hard time trying to get it the right angle to pop back in. Overall took me about 20min. to do.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slwTSX
I just did mine also. Switched to white leds. Took em off from inside the trunk lid. It was easy removing the bulb bracket but putting it back in there was a pain. I had a hard time trying to get it the right angle to pop back in. Overall took me about 20min. to do.
I agree that it was tougher snapping them back in. Word to the wise, do one light at a time so you can reference one installed at the proper angle...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+license+plate

may be you should wear a plastic glove or something to remove the OEM bulb
Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Racer

ya i remeber i had to put my arm in a wierd way to get a good grip on the tabs. putting them back in was the easy part once you figure it out just lay the flat tab sticking out against the hole and lead it into the socket
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

I also just did this mod the other week. its tedious the first time, especially because i was too lazy to read any DIY posts and literally did it myself. You kind of have to get one arm in from the left side and one from the right to hold the bulb down. It took me like 10 minutes just to get the oem bulb popped out but after that its a breeze. If anyone is looking for a decent pair of license plate leds i have a pair of white ones left. If you're in the nyc area, pm me.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Mike D from Ohio

Yea its an aggravating task, as small as it is. I started out pushing the wrong plastic projectiles inward because I thought they were the release tabs you push. That's why I had so much trouble. For a little bit there, I was thinking that maybe my bulb housing were broken because the levers wouldn't push in. That's why I asked.

It took me like 10 mins after I realized that I was pushing on the wrong lever. But it took me like 45 mins to realize it, haha.

Oh, but after messing with the trunk carpet, I now hear a small pop sound coming from the trunk when i open the drivers door. It only does it when the trunk's closed. I think its because I didn't put the carpet back on tightly enough. hmmm.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are some vents behind the carpet towards the back of the car. They are down below where the plastic bumper cover comes up to on the outside. Their purpose is to allow the pressure in the car to equalize quickly when you close or open a single door with everything else closed. These vents have a little flapper on them to prevent moisture from entering the car while it's sitting there. I'll bet what you're hearing is these little flappers. If you roll down a window and no longer hear the noise when you shut the door, that was definitely the source.