Planning to buy a TSX, have a few ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning to buy a TSX, have a few ???

I've been in love with the TSX since it hit the states. I was tempted to buy one a few years ago, but went with a cheaper option (Mazda 3). Well, I looking to buy again and this time am seriously considering the TSX 6MT w/Navi.

I'm in the Bay Area and it seems that the dealers don't have many manuals on the lot. One dealer said a Glacier Blue with Black interior was in transit. This was my first choice on colors so I was pretty excited and put a hold on the car ($500 hold fee). The car left Japan on 3/31 and should arrive in a few weeks.

My main question is how will putting a hold on the car affect my negotiating power. Am I kinda screwed here? How can I get the best deal?

There's 2 other dealers in my area. I looked at one and they didn't have any manuals in a color I would want. I haven't checked with the second dealer. But if no other dealer has the car I want, how can I negotiate the best deal. Looking for advice please.

My other question is about the Acura Music Link. I do have an iPod mini and it would be nice if it sync'ed up with the radio. But I thought I read that it didn't really work with the 06's and if it did, I don't know if it's worth a couple of hundred bucks. Anyone actually get this option and have some opinions on it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hey there...how you like your Mazda 3?? Which trim did you get and why are you considering a new TSX so soon after your Mazda 3 purchase?? Sorry for the question but I was initially interested in getting the 3 instead of a TSX to save money.

As for your questions, don't let the dealer make you think you need the car more than they need to sell it. Be ready to walk out and I am sure they will call you back. Manual is rare but with patience, I am sure you can get another one. Don't pay a premium for it (most cars cost LESS with manual) .

If you do a searh for MusicLink, I remember there been many discussions on it when it was first released (look in the audio/video section). I also remember Acura saying it doesn't work with the 06 and the concept is mostly a failure. And it's not worth the extra $$$.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
10th Gear

I really liked the Mazda 3. It was a great car for the money. I got the 3 Hatchback pretty much fully loaded. Leather seats and navi. Actually, the navi system was pretty decent. It really came in handy when I needed it. And I liked the fact that you could hide the screen when you didn't need it.

It was a peppy car and could easily hold 4 people. I think it actually has more interior passenger room than the TSX if you look at the numbers.

The reason I'm looking at cars again so soon is because I totalled the car a few weeks ago. Lost the rear end in the rain and rolled it once on the side of the road. However, even though no airbags deployed, I walked away without any injuries. Pretty amazing.

Thanks for the info about the Music Link.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what having a "hold" does for you. Usually you negotiate the price first, then put down a deposit on the specific car that is being built for you.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:23 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

A hold fee (if it's refundable) won't affect your negotiating position. If it is non-refundable, the dealer could theoretically add up to $500 to the market price of the car and you'd still have to go with him because that $500 is already paid and will be credited towards your purchase at that dealer only.

What will hurt your negotiating position is the fact that you're obviously excited about the TSX. Make it clear that you are willing to go to another dealer (or even another make) if you don't get a price you can live with.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
10th Gear

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain the hold fee very well. It is a refundable charge. All it does for me is give me first dibs on the car when it arrives. I can test drive it and if (for some reason) I don't like it, I can get my money back and walk away.

The hold fee is not a deposit on the car.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking tactically for you (negotiation wise) you have shown interest in the car and the dealer may try to take you for a little extra $$ as a result.

Figure out the price that YOU want to pay for the car, and don't budge from it. Start low with him and don't budge. Even if you have all the $$ in the world to spend on your next car, tell him your last car was the 3 because it cost less than the TSX.

If you still can't get him down, feign interest in an RSX. Test drive one, its a fun car, and its cheap (relatively). Get excited about it (and paying less), then say you'd still buy the TSX if he gave it to you for your low, low price. One way or another, the salesman isn't going to make any money unless you drive out of there in a new car, so he'll break to your price eventually. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

The true answer, as lame as it sounds is, "it depends." You're after what seems to be a pretty rare car (we wanted to test drive one...our dealer didn't have one, nor did either of the other two stores within 30 miles). So, is it rare because not many people want it, or because all cars identically equipped are snatched up quickly?

In this case, probably little bit of both. I don't think you've hurt your chance at paying a fair price for the car, but my guess is that "fair price" isn't going to be $500 over invoice. The internet sources - edmunds.com and cars.com for example - are great. You can get a taste for a fair market value on the vehicle, and decide if that's what you're willing to pay for it. Good luck with everything! I love that color combo, by the way.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnd'oh
I really liked the Mazda 3. It was a great car for the money. I got the 3 Hatchback pretty much fully loaded. Leather seats and navi. Actually, the navi system was pretty decent. It really came in handy when I needed it. And I liked the fact that you could hide the screen when you didn't need it.

It was a peppy car and could easily hold 4 people. I think it actually has more interior passenger room than the TSX if you look at the numbers.

The reason I'm looking at cars again so soon is because I totalled the car a few weeks ago. Lost the rear end in the rain and rolled it once on the side of the road. However, even though no airbags deployed, I walked away without any injuries. Pretty amazing.

Thanks for the info about the Music Link.
I know this your preference, but what would you rather have a Mazda3 which is really a Ford Focus or a Acura TSX, which is a Japan/Europe Accord?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I know this your preference, but what would you rather have a Mazda3 which is really a Ford Focus or a Acura TSX, which is a Japan/Europe Accord?
Hmm...let's see...for $21.5k otd for a Mazda3 S GT w/ moonroof package, I get
- Heated leather seats
- Auto wipers (not found on tsx)
- Trip computer
- One touch moonroof (not one touch on tsx)
- Bose audio system (no aux jack)
- HIDs
- Comparable interior (but not as high quality)
- Automatic Climate Control (not dual zone)
- Trunk release on fob
- Only a lilttle bit slower than TSX
- Slightly better gas mileage
- Save $5k to $6k

Soo......yea...the Mazda3 is actually a more practical and economical and smarter buy than the TSX if you don't mind driving a Mazda/Ford Focus/Volvo S40. Both are great cars and depends on what you can afford, your concern over your social status, and your style preference.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Nothing wrong with Mazda3, it is still made in Japan and also blast to drive too. For me I will get Mazda3 over A3 even they are the same price. But the butter smooth manual tranny and the 7000+ redline ivtec still steer me towards the TSX.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

Don't get me wrong, the Mazda 3 was a great car. However, the TSX has always been my "first choice" car. I got the Mazda because I was concerned about the payments so I went with a cheaper option. The Mazda was my first new car buying experience. Now that I'm used to having payments, I think it's easier for me to think about buying something a little more expensive.

It is amazing how well the Mazda 3 compares against the TSX, but my preference will always be with the TSX for now.

Thanks for all the advice, if there's anymore out there, keep it coming.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

I've been watching the "How much are you paying..." thread for a while now and it seems that $28,500+- (w/Navi) is most are paying. I'm going to pick one up (w/Navi) in the next couple of weeks and will hold firm to that figure plus $100 at most. The highest I'd go with a dealer is $28,600 becuase I can get one, in my area, through CarsDirect for $28,600. I am going to use this as the first quote that I take to the dealer(s) to have them match if not beat in order to get my business. I'm hoping I can get them down to $28,250, I'd be pretty happy with that price.

P.S. I've never used the CarsDirect service before so if anyone has any comments good or bad I'd be interested in reading them.