People who show-off in their cars stink

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who show-off in their cars stink

today it was funny driving, but yet annoying drivers too. since it was a nice sunny, but cold day, i guess lots of guys wanted to show-off their nice waxed hi powered cars. i was driving to work this morning and a guy in tinted mercedes S55 AMG (i think thats what it was) starts cutting off people, then another guy in a G35 coupe all pimped out starts weaving and weaving. then, he is in my lane and starts revving his engine at the stoplight, i'm like , geez, you're cool it's absurd really. ok, i do drive sometimes quick on the expressway, but in city driving not really, cause i like being relaxed and not heart-pounding driving.

yes, it's nice to wash and wax the car to, but not for attention and show-off purposes from other drivers, but to protect your car's finish.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:35 PM
bleh...

I sometimes have to deal with these idiots too. Occassionally, ricers rev on me and such. One time this riced out Civic with altezzas and fart can was side by side with my TSX. He startings revving his engine on me. I just floor it and he was having problems keeping up.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

i just like to think that people who weave in traffic will total their car soon enough for being idiots. If I can a S55 I would not be driving my $100k (whatever it is) car like a maniac; it just takes 1 geo metro to screw you over.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
cmf
ATCer

I have to say I am one of those wax guys. While the wax may protect your car, I will do it and keep the car spotless. Not drive like a maniac, but takin it easy so everyone can see how good the car looks! Shit, I paid 26K for my car, it is never gonna be dirty. I leave the TSX in the garage when the weather is crappy and take the Civic.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned

If someone was driving crazy enough and I was in the right mood... I would TOTALLY call 911 and say that they were driving recklessly.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro

Don't sweat it... people drive like assholes in shitboxes too.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Bound for Europe

What really bugs me are people who let front brake dust go unchecked, waiting for the dealer to take care of it every 5 months or so. My boss lets his Mini Cooper S wheels get blacker than coal. Brutal!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love watching rich people drive; I often find it HILARIOUS (from a safe distance) how flat out sh***y they drive. Whether it'd going down a one way street the wrong direction in their S55 AMG while talking on a cell phone, to driving up a hill half on the shoulder in their Land Rover (because lane lines are for poor people?), to weaving in traffic in their M5 and then getting stuck between cars while I pass them by simply by staying put in my own lane...

I'm aware I'm stereotyping by assuming all rich people drive poorly and that all people driving expensive cars are rich, but there are so many data points supporting this viewpoint that I'm quite comfortable with it :-)
Old 02-14-2004, 04:12 PM
The Voice of Reason

Re: People who show-off in their cars stink

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
.....was driving to work this morning and a guy in tinted mercedes S55 AMG (i think thats what it was) starts cutting off people...
Thought the point of the heavy tint, at least in Illinois, was to keep the drug deals away from Officer Friendly's prying eyes. Maybe he had a "rush" delivery.

Also, while it may be one of those warm and comforting thoughts to believe that people with big Benzes and big Bimmers and big Lexuses (Lexi?) can't drive, the big luxo-barges (generally) seem to be involved in fewer crashes than the cheap little ****boxes. People who make poor judgments in parts of their lives tend to make poor judgments in other parts of their lives. People who make good judgments in parts of their lives tend to make good judgments in other parts of their lives. See HERE.

And sometimes don't.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:11 PM
You want me to break it?

Originally posted by vitocorleone
I love watching rich people drive; I often find it HILARIOUS (from a safe distance) how flat out sh***y they drive. Whether it'd going down a one way street the wrong direction in their S55 AMG while talking on a cell phone, to driving up a hill half on the shoulder in their Land Rover (because lane lines are for poor people?), to weaving in traffic in their M5 and then getting stuck between cars while I pass them by simply by staying put in my own lane...

I'm aware I'm stereotyping by assuming all rich people drive poorly and that all people driving expensive cars are rich, but there are so many data points supporting this viewpoint that I'm quite comfortable with it :-)
You have hit upon what I have for years called my Theory of Socioeconomic Driving Hierarchy. "Look at me, I have a car that is more expensive than your's, you must therefore always yield the right of way and if I screw up and almost nail you, it is surely your fault because you should have avoided the collision with me to begin with." I usually comment that they spent all their money on options for the car and therefore couldn't afford the common sense/courtesy package. It almost seems like a sense of entitlement; sad thing is that with today's legal system they're probably right.

By the way Bob, I looked at that website you linked, interesting. I selected luxury cars - when looking over the categories available, there is no mention of frequency of collisions, etc - the luxo cars are apparently safer if you're in a collision, but that's about all that one can draw from that data. Nowhere is it implied that these cars are in fewer collisions/less serious collisions on that chart. In fact, the collision data suggests that the Lexi, Jaguars, and especially Mercedes are in worse accidents (I am basing this on their 'substantially worse than average' ratings on losses per collision data - it is an inference on my part). It could be that these vehicles simply cost more to fix like a $1000 bumper or something, but that is not stated/clear per those charts. I'd imagine that somewhere (IIHS perhaps) has data about frequency of collisions/claims but that link isn't it as far as I can tell.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Crazy! If I had an M5, S55 or Porsche 911 T, I would use that cars perfromance. It's brutal to see 4 second cars, being driven like Geo Metros by those rich old folks. I live in West Palm Beach, and I see it everyday
Old 02-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Clean you rims with WD-40. Takes that baked on brake dust right off! See my thread in Wheels and Tires for more info...

Slats
Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Instructor

amen to all above.

i just broke up with my fiance because she thought i loved my tsx more than her.

well, i guess i did.

it always makes me smile, does what i tell it to do, and never talks back. ha, ha

seriosly though, people are too concerned with image these days, and so the rest of auto enthusiasts get lumped together with all the jackasses out there.

i plan on buying a 360 modena in the next 10 years. my girl though it was so i can drive around and say look at me. i want to buy the car because i love cars and its one of the nicest cars made. and believe me, i will drive that car, maybe not in the snow or rain, but i will take it to work, and would love to race it on a track. cars are made to be driven not ridden in.

someone who buys a bentley and has someone else drive them around is totally missing the point.