Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Sealant? Is it worth it?

hey all,

The dealer mentioned he is putting in:
-mudguards, trunk tray, wheel locks
and
-paint sealant ***********

I am sorry folks, this is my first car and I have no idea what a 'paint sealant' is. I searched this forum and the only thing I could find is its kind of wax to protect the outer color coating. I test drove other cars but never heard any other dealer talk about it.

-Do you really need it?
-Is it really worth it?

Junky
(atlanta)
Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How much are they offering the paint sealant? How long do you plan to own the car?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint sealant? I've actually had a car salesman admit to me that it was just really expensive wax.

Cliff notes: DONT GET IT!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Advanced

I am the one in the back of the dealership that applies the "paint sealant" It does somewhat work BUT is not worth the $$ they charge you. Hell I wouldnt even take the mudgaurds, trunk tray or wheel locks from them either...

I laughed at the finance guy at Acura when he trid to sell it to me and i told him i get it for free so i am not paying for that.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Lurker

[delurking myself]Mumbo Jumbo...You can apply your own sealant for a fraction of the cost and it will ne reapplying anyway. (Dealers make me nuts with this stuff)

http://properautocare.com/klasconkit.html
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Advanced

funny, i had a dealer tell me the same thing last night. I have never heard of it either. He claimed that it would help with minor scratchs. They could be buffed out instead of them getting all the way to the paint.

Not sure how much they consider it to be "worth", nothing is "free"
Old 04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

If you're not into detailing and maintaining the finish of your vehicle, I'd say it's worth considering. For the money they charge, you could probably go to a professional detailer (or realistically...he'd come to you) to have a better job done...just request they use a sealant as the topcoat.

I think the mudguards are worth it. I'll be picking up a set for the new TSX, and plan to have them painted-to-match by my local body shop. They're not always the most appealing cosmetic mod, but they're great for protecting the finish from stone chips.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

Definitely don't do the sealant. Even if you have no interest in detailing your car yourself, you could the same (or similar) thing applied for less money by a local detailer.

Sealants are usually just used to refer to a synthetic "wax". They usually last a little longer than waxes. You'll note that in order to maintain the warranty that comes with the paint sealant, you have to bring the car back, usually annually, to get it reapplied. That's because the sealant their putting on doesn't last for years, heck it doesn't even last a year. You could apply something yourself that would probably last longer by applying some klasse or zaino. Note: if you've never waxed a car properly, there's a little of a learning curve to both of these products. The key for both (any wax or sealant, really) is to apply it *thin*.

Should you apply a sealant or wax to a car? Yes, it does help protect the paint. Not from scratches, but more from environmental damage like hard water, bird poop, sun, etc.

Should you pay the dealer hundreds of dollars for it? IMO, no.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Our car is already come with clearcoat so minor scratch won't get into the paint. To Zaino your new baby is not that much of work but give you a good protection and will cost you around $50 and couple hours or even just pay someone to zaino it for you still cheaper than from dealer.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
with all above. Save yourself a few bucks and don't get it.