Overfilled/Overflowed Gasoline Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overfilled/Overflowed Gasoline Q's

Het guys - long time/first time...

So I have an 06 TSX (which I love more than life itself) and 3 weeks ago went and filled up. I always fill up the tank, and let it fill till the handle "clicks" then I reseat the nozle on the pump. I don't round up or anything - I just let the nozzle do it's job. So, not paying attention, I looked over and there was gasoline pouring out of the car. It didn't stop pumping. It probably leaked about 1.5 gallons. Anyway, I got home cleaned off the car and decided it was a fluke, and got on with my life.

Today, I went to the same gas station, and it happened again. Overfilled, gas pouring out, blah blah blah. Of course the employee in the sation could have cared less. I have been filling my my gas tanks for 15 years, and this has never happened before.

My question's:
- Is it the gas station pumps fault - or my car? I should note that I filled up in between these two visits at a different station and didn't have any problems.
- Have I done any damage to my tank by this overfilling?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:19 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

It's the pump. You haven't done damage to your tank, only the environment and your paint (both minor, don't worry about it, but stop using that gas station!)
Old 07-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Instructor

The same thing happened to me at a station near my house one morning on the way to work. I was not paying attention while I held the handle (because 90% of the handles are broke around here) then it began to pour out all over my shoes.

I made a complaint with the store clerk but they really had no care what-so-ever. Its most deffinately a problem with the pump station. I never went back to it. Luckily they are building a brand new Wawa just up the street from the house. So that station is going to be history soon.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Instructor

why should they care, you still have to pay for the gas. You know they are not containing the run off into the water drain system and back into our lakes and rivers, that should be where the strict laws kick their ASS, for not being more Enviromentely responsible, so stick it to their wallets for not maintaining the pumps and nozzels.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I complained to the corporate office for a gas station about a clerk, and they forwarded the info to the station's owner and started an investigation.

I'm sure if you complain and noted that their vapor recovery system is not working, and that they're damaging the environment, they'll want to look into it. After all, I'm sure there are laws governing the nozzle.

And yes, it's the pump's fault. They're supposed to be designed to shut off when the tank is full.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

i used to manage a gas station a couple of years before. if incidents like that happend, it is the dealer's (station owner or manager) fault. the nozzle of the pumps have sensitive sensors that will automatically react if gas tank has reached it safe limit. its the responsibility of the manager or dealer to have somebody check the pumps from time to time inorder to prevent high risk incidents like this. i guess, whatever company that was, you can contact and complain the district office or state office.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Never had this happen to me before. I agree with the rest that it is the pump. If the pump did not stop on its own, it could pose a safety risk. If it happenes enough, the complaits may pile up and start something of an investigation. Best to get that fixed before something worse happens. Clerks would not care, but the owners of the station might listen. Try and find them. Most that I know are good people and will do whatever they can. to fix any problem.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to be the evening shift manager at a gas station back when I was going to college. We had this happen sometimes and when it did happen we would always knock a few dollars off the total and give the customer a free touchless laser wash. That was the best we could do to make things better...and as for the gas on the pavement it only takes 50 cents worth of gas to make a puddle 2-3 feet wide. One tip I can share with you is to put the nozzle all the way in your tank, then pull it out one inch or so before you begin pumping! For some reason it helps prevent these types of things from happening. Also, make sure you re-wax the area where the gasoline touched your paint.