OPP on the lookout for TSXs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OPP on the lookout for TSXs?

Hey all,

I've had my TSX less than a month and I'm preparing to take a road trip to TO. I'm wondering what the OPP think of the TSX.

Are they looking for them at all?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't think so, but I have a sure proof way of not getting pulled over. I keep the car at or under 100km/hr. I can almost guarantee that if you follow that advice you won't get pulled over. Trust me it works.

Seriously though, think of insurance rates these days. Is it really worth speeding anymore? I already pay through the teeth for insurance, speeding is just asking for a rate increase.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro

The police may not be looking out for the TSX, but red light cams are. I got nailed back in December (St. Laurent and Ogilvie) = $190. The light was red for 0.2 sec when I entered the intersection (according to the ticket I was mailed).
Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was stopped for doing 142kph on the 427 on a Sunday morning and the cop let me go! No favors necessary....
Old 02-05-2004, 02:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I was stopped for doing 142kph on the 427 on a Sunday morning and the cop let me go! No favors necessary....
Must have been beggining of the month. If it was end, no way he'd let you off for 42 over.

crisco that sucks. 0.2 seconds? are you fighting it?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro

Not sure if its worth the effort to fight it. They basically have me - photo and all, although I realize that 0.2 sec is not much. What's your opinion?? At least my points shouldn't be affected - I think I only lose points if I'm pulled over by a cop for this sort of violation. With the photo, they can't prove that it was me who was driving.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm fighting a stop sign violoation in March. It was 3 points and $110. I fully expect to still be fined but I intend to at least try and make a deal to lesson the fine and no points. (The cop actually told me to take it to court and he'll do that for me.) In your situation there is no argument, but even without a photo, there's no way you can argue with a cop. The judge will always take their word over yours. You should try and do the same, at least attempt going there to strike a deal. I'm sure at the very least you'll end up paying less.

Not sure about the points thing because of the photo. You may want to look into that.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro

Thanks Domn,

I have to consider it. At least I won't lose points - I dug up the answer on the city of ottawa website. I posted it in the Ticket fighter thread:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=2
Old 02-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Advanced

I had a few bad experience w/ Cops......I got nailed after crossing to Quebec for going 126km. That french Cop who couldn't speak english rounded it off to 130km!!! it doesn't mean much in Quebec, but in Ontario is one extra point!!! and I can't hire a lawyer or agent, I have to attend court in Quebec to fight it......
I didn't of course, luckily it didn;t show on my drivers' abstract for some reason......
Old 02-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Another time, I was driving home and I noticed the Cop was following me, so I stopped for like 5-6 seconds at the Stop sign b4 I go......after the 2nd stop sign (100metres away from my house!) he signal and asked me to stop, then gave me 2 tickets for failing to stop at stop sign!!! I was SOOOO UPSET, I told him straight out he was lying and needed to make quota, he didn;t say a word!!! First, if I failed to stop on the 1st one, he should've signal then, instead of waiting for the 2nd one.....I mean, he can follow me for 15 mins and gave me 70 tickets!!! Then he lied in court saying he was parked in the residential area, and saw me passing on 2 stop signs!!! I almost jumped him in court......I got one ticket off, but still 3 points!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Racer

oh well... next time if there is a cop follow me.. i just make a turn and stop if i can..
Old 02-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by crisco
The police may not be looking out for the TSX, but red light cams are. I got nailed back in December (St. Laurent and Ogilvie) = $190. The light was red for 0.2 sec when I entered the intersection (according to the ticket I was mailed).

Holy Crap! That's crazy. It's still perfectly legal to go through an intersection on a yellow. I would fight it and say that it was yellow and that you could not stop your car in time as it changed .2 seconds before you passed through the intersection. I know the TSX has nice brakes but that's crazy. I think I'll be avoiding that intersection
Old 02-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by owenaldo
Another time, I was driving home and I noticed the Cop was following me, so I stopped for like 5-6 seconds at the Stop sign b4 I go......after the 2nd stop sign (100metres away from my house!) he signal and asked me to stop, then gave me 2 tickets for failing to stop at stop sign!!! I was SOOOO UPSET, I told him straight out he was lying and needed to make quota, he didn;t say a word!!! First, if I failed to stop on the 1st one, he should've signal then, instead of waiting for the 2nd one.....I mean, he can follow me for 15 mins and gave me 70 tickets!!! Then he lied in court saying he was parked in the residential area, and saw me passing on 2 stop signs!!! I almost jumped him in court......I got one ticket off, but still 3 points!!!

Great. Just what we need, cops that lie and cheat. Look on the bright side, he could just have put a bunch of tickets for various driving offences under your wiper when your TSX was parked in the driveway one evening. Would have been even easier for him.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by T Sexy
Holy Crap! That's crazy. It's still perfectly legal to go through an intersection on a yellow. I would fight it and say that it was yellow and that you could not stop your car in time as it changed .2 seconds before you passed through the intersection. I know the TSX has nice brakes but that's crazy. I think I'll be avoiding that intersection
No, no - the light was red before I entered the intersection. All they would say is that if I was going the speed limit (which of course we all do ) I would've been able to stop safely.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Racer

well this morning, around 12:30am I was clocked going 50 and 42 over the limit on Eglinton, then on my street.
Of course the cops pulled be over and double teamed me by coming up on either side of the car with their flashlights on.
I told them I lived just around the corner etc. Since I didn't have a ticket in a while, they let me off with a $17 fine.
I have to admit, I was VERY relieved. They were totally cool about it. I will be slowing down for sure!
Anyway, seems they got an emergency call or something, becuase before I could put on my seatbelt, they were outta there!
Fun Times my friends
Old 02-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

holy dudes i had horse shoes this weekend kids. i guess there is a cop always waiting for people on the allen expressway at lawrence going south because i was doing 145 and just as i passed lawrence, i glanced in my mirror and saw a dark car closing on me fast ....i pulled to the other lane and shifted down hard, by the time he was behind me i was going 87 hehe then he pulled beside me and hovered for what seemed forever.... i pretented i was in the twilight zone didn't even move my head once. he then split ahead of me looking for other people to bother. btw i just was told by my friend that my plate needs to be renewed. that would have been a big one!!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Racer

just wait till Dalton puts photoradar on all those 400 series bridges. You guys will never get your TSXs beyong 2500rpm (an I am talking 6spped, not auto).
Old 02-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

damn that bastard. photo radar we might as well go comunist now and get it over with.....it seemed to work out for the soviet union
Old 02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The best part about photo radar (if there is such a thing) is that there are no points involved with tickets. If I want to do 240kph on the 401 at 2am I can. Sure the ticket will be brutal but hey it's just money :P

The worst thing is that the government claims that photo radar improves safety on our highways but no one has ever proven that. What ends up happening is radio stations advertise where the traps are set up and people slam on their brakes trying to avoid getting a ticket. Now the person who is undoubtedly following too close behind that person has to perform emergency manouevers and will likely get into a collision.

Really great safety equipment
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Advanced

What about all those great pics the cameras get of topless chicks driving in convertables?????

How come we never get to see them??!!! All we get is crappy tickets