View Poll Results: If Money was not a problem, which would you get?
2004 TSX, 6MT, Navi
53.09%
2004 G35 coupe, 6MT, Navi
46.91%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

ok serious question here

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004 | 10:06 AM
2004 TL Owner

ok serious question here

Please be unbiased as possible, I understand this is an Acura forum so many will want to be biased, but I just want to get an honest opinion.

if you had the money to afford either, which would you choose

2004 Acura TSX 6MT, Navi

2004 Inifiniti G35 coupe 6MT, Navi

I understand these cars are in 2 different classes so they aren't entirely comparable, but my reasoning is this:

I don't want to consider the TL, although a phenomenal car, it is too big for what I want (and my father may get one so we don't need 2 in the house)

The TSX is a first model year car right now (and don't want to buy a first model year car, esp with rattles and the electrical problems some have faced), I can't wait for the 2005 I need a car sooner than that release.

G35 is a second model year car, its a coupe (really want a coupe), 280HP and RWD. But Honda/Acura's Navi is superior, although Infiniti has 3D bird's eye view, it isn't touch screen like Acura's and the screen is smaller. Biggest plus is I can get the G35 coupe at Invoice price!

SO, if money wasn't a question, which would YOU get.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:12 AM
Photography Nerd

I made this comparison. The TSX won.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:16 AM
2004 TL Owner

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I made this comparison. The TSX won.
could you tell me why? I want to consider all possibilities and reasoning
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:23 AM

get both!
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:27 AM
Lost In Transmission

I was looking at the G35 - and while the outside looks are more 'eye-catching' on the G35 - the interior (where I spent most of my time when I'm with my car) was nasty in the G35 - i hate their analog clock SO much...

So for me, it was interior.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:29 AM
Photography Nerd

I wanted something sporty and the coupe was nice but I do have people in my back seat fairly often so the G35 sedan would have been better. I drove the sedan and thought that the interior was pretty cheap and not very well designed. It drove well but it still felt like an "old man's car". So I drove the new TL and liked it a lot. Then I tried the TSX and thought it was more nimble than the TL and the price of the TSX sealed the deal.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:29 AM
Racer

I'm sure you've been around long enough to have seen all the G35 (coupe) comparisons here.

Things that come to my mind are things like:
Cheap interior of the G.
Driver's seat cushion issues in the G.
The G also has very little trunk space, which we sedan owners value quite a bit.
Questionable styling of the G (I personally think it's a great looking car -- coupe and sedan)

If you've got the money, don't need a lot of space, and can live with the above issues, sounds like the G is for you. I haven't driven one, but it's a blast I'm sure.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:31 AM

Goodness, G35c all the way.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:33 AM
2004 TL Owner

Thanks for the info Dan, yeah I'm usually the only 1 in the car, or there is another person, I'm only 23, soon to be 24, so a family is a long ways away (heck i'm not even married)... I agree with your guys on the interior, no one can beat the quality of a Acura interior, my brother's 00 TL is great, and nissan sucks at interiors (i drive a 94 altima now).... the G35 is suppose to get a new interior for 2005 but again I cant wait for that to come out... there is no real car that I like as much as these 2 for what i want, so its one of the other (:p dabuda2004)
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: ok serious question here

I voted G35 Coupe, for you anyway.

I personally had'nt and would'nt cross shop these two cars. One's a coupe and one's a Sedan, its that simple for me.

Now in your case, I think its just as simple, you say

Originally posted by C_TSX_Go
its a coupe (really want a coupe),
I think that should answer your question.

If you feel you won't need the extra doors and space, then get the copue.

The G35 Coupe IMO looks great, performs great and will be relaible. The interior is'nt as nice as the TSX's, but you can't have it all, and no car is perfect.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:44 AM
2004 TL Owner

the true solution is a 2004 CL... damn you Acura for getting rid of it... damn you :swear2:
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Re: ok serious question here

The TSX is a first model year car right now (and don't want to buy a first model year car, esp with rattles and the electrical problems some have faced), I can't wait for the 2005 I need a car sooner than that release.

G35 is a second model year car, its a coupe (really want a coupe

I think you already answered your own questions. You want a coupe (TSX is a sedan). You don't want a first year model (the TSX is one) and you don't want to wait. The only advantage for the TSX you cite is the better navi system. Objectively speaking, that would not push the decision in the TSX's favor.

I cross-shopped both (but the sedan version). My friend worked for Nissan and could get me one at 1% below dealer cost so the price was not as much an issue (although equally outfitted the G35 was still quite a bit more than the TSX). Obviously I opted for the TSX. I did so because I thought the G35 was too big, I did not like the interior as much as the TSX (layout, gauges, color, materials), I liked the TSXs handling and I don't go drag racing so the HP and torque differece was not that important to me, and the TSX is more fuel efficient.

The cost difference DID matter which made the TSX all the better choice for me.

p.s. - The TL and the G35 are essentially the same size (check the specs)
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:55 AM
2004 TL Owner

Re: Re: ok serious question here

Originally posted by jlukja

p.s. - The TL and the G35 are essentially the same size (check the specs)

the sedan's maybe, the G35 coupe is slightly shorter than the TSX

G35c 182.2 in
TSX 183.3 in

From Infiniti.com
(Overall length 182.2 )
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:56 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down ok serious question here - REPLY

Based upon SERVICE and QUALITY issues I would not give any more of my hard earned money to EITHER Nissan or Honda/Acura!
Horrible experiences with QUALITY and SERVICE from both manufacturers. Anyone want to buy my TSX?
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: ok serious question here - REPLY

Originally posted by wschlegel1
Based upon SERVICE and QUALITY issues I would not give any more of my hard earned money to EITHER Nissan or Honda/Acura!
Horrible experiences with QUALITY and SERVICE from both manufacturers. Anyone want to buy my TSX?
Tell us more. (Or have you already in another thread?)

I think my next purchase will be a Toyota. Have to try something different.
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Re: ok serious question here

the sedan's maybe, the G35 coupe is slightly shorter than the TSX
Yes, you are right. I've been thinking sedans.
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:08 AM
Photography Nerd

So what is your car of choice wschlegel? Anything in particular that you don't like about your TSX?
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:18 AM
2004 TL Owner

i think Acura service is phenomenal, when I took my brother's TL in for the tranny swap, they gave me a 2003 loaner and they let me take it from Milwaukee to New Orleans without any problems, I put 4000 miles on their car and they didn't car... Acura's service is great, perhaps you just had a single bad experience
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:38 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

I was in the same boat that you are in. I am 23 years old (24 at the end of this month) and cross shopped the two cars. I thought a lot about just getting the G35C for the power and all, but took into consideration the following:[list=1][*]The interior is ok, not as nice as the TSX but I could live with it. My problem was the seats. They are not comfortable at all. I had a dealer that was real cool and he let me take it for an extra long test drive (35 minutes) and it doesn't feel good after 20 minutes. Ever notice the adjustment controls are on the wrong side. Who engineered this? [*]I don't need the extra 80hps. I don't drag, and the 200hps of the TSX is enough to satisfy me.[*]Its going to be my commuter car, so the mpg is a big thing for me to consider in the long run[*]I live in NYC, so I would be a little more afraid of the G35C getting stolen. Granted I am worried about getting the TSX stolen, but it just seems like the G35C is a little more flashy.[*]Is this your only car? Are you going to keep your altima? I also just recently bought myself a BMW X5 , so I didn't have to worry about the seating in the G35C 4 years down the line. Are you planning to keep the car that long, that you might have to worry about taking the family/friends/dog/dare I say kid(s) along?[*]Insurance for the G35C is crazy here in NYC. I would check this out before you decide.[/list=1]
Hope this helps a little. Just something I took into consideration before I bought my TSX.

If you don't really care about the list above....G35C all the way! As you can see, money is the main factor for me. (insurance, gas, renting a car for trips)
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by yuhoo22
[*]I live in NYC, so I would be a little more afraid of the G35C getting stolen. Granted I am worried about getting the TSX stolen, but it just seems like the G35C is a little more flashy.
This is a good point. The G35C is much more "look-at-me" than the TSX IMHO. Being young and single you may find the G35C more of a .:-* magnet. I guess the question is do you want chicks to think "wow, you drive a really cool car" (G35C) or "wow, you are smart, have great taste, and drive a really cool car" (TSX).
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:54 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down serious question here - REPLY

TSX - problems fixed:

Console Squeak
Seat Mount/Bracket Replaced
Loose Mirror - Rearview

NOT fixed:

Door rattles - both doors - trim. 4 trips to dealer - still not fixed.
Corporate says "they are working on it." Vehicle is a rattle box.

Last trip to dealer - they damaged the front of my TSX with a jack, returning the car to me thinking I would not notice. HA! Took the vehicle back, they made the repairs - took 8 DAYS. They did NOT replace my SuperShield (Clear Bra). DUH? They can't find anyone to do it in the area is what they said. The are willing to pay for me to have it re-done. How MUCH do I have to be inconvenienced here?

I won't even start with the Nissan quality issues and SUPER LOUSY service departments and claimS under the FL Lemon Law!
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:55 AM
2004 TL Owner

yeah my test drive next week should give me more insight, I drove a sedan many months ago, so we'll see how the coupe fares... in IL insurance is much better plus we'd get a nice deal since my family's cars and house are insured by the same insurance...

this would be my daily driver, the altima has to go, its 10 years old and is going to break sooner or later, otherwise I'd just wait for the 2005 TSX

the G's gas mileage is 20 city, 27 on highway
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:55 AM
Über Geek

This is definitely an apples vs. oranges situation. I needed a sedan and the TSX was the best combo of criteria for me.

It seems like the G35c is the best choice for you.

But if I didn't need a sedan (for a 3-yr-old getting in and out of the car daily) AND I had the money, I'd absolutely be in the G35. Maybe in a decade or so.
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:56 AM
Photography Nerd

Sounds like you need a new service department. Sorry to hear about your problems...
Old 03-10-2004 | 12:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Does everyone think that as soon as they start making 05's that the rattle problem will magically dissapear? The cars will be made on the same line by the same people using the same materials and machinery. For all we know the problems have already been resolved and 04's rolling off the line now are rattle free. If Honda does'nt deem there to a problem or are unaware (which I doubt) then no changes have or will be made to the line resulting in the same problems.

All I'm saying is, don't look for the 05 to be rattle free or not have a single problem, it will essentially be the same car.
Old 03-10-2004 | 12:39 PM
Intermediate

TSX

I always find this interesting becuase I thought that I was the only one comparing the two. I went for the TSX because I use the backseat every so often and i couldn't justify the additional money and get a car that has a crap interior.
Old 03-10-2004 | 01:19 PM
Advanced

Sat in a G35 at an auto show. I'm not big, 5ft 8in and also my wife is smaller and weight 110. It was cramp, our legs were hitting the dash and side in the cockpit. We were very interested in a S2000 as well. Same problem. The TSX is a comfortable car.
Old 03-10-2004 | 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok... if you want the coupe why not get the real z?
Old 03-10-2004 | 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

i was in the same boat too and i chose the tsx over the g35c. the g35 is HOT on the outside but subpar in the inside, but it is alot of more powerful and rwd. to be honest if i didnt have to buy a car now i would wait for the next generation is300 =d.
Old 03-10-2004 | 03:26 PM
Instructor

I would pick the TSX. I looked at the G35 but the interior is so ugly I could never be happy with it. The G35 is nice on the outside and has a nice engine etc but who can stand that cheap interior.
Old 03-10-2004 | 03:35 PM
2004 TL Owner

Originally posted by DEVO
ok... if you want the coupe why not get the real z?
if you think the G35 interior is bad, the Z's interior is 10 times worse
Old 03-10-2004 | 06:15 PM
Drifting

Just for myself, I would get the TSX because I need the interior space and creature comforts that the TSX can offer :-) I commute in city traffic a lot too, so gas mileage is also an issue for me and the TSX wins again. We are up to almost $2 for a gallon of premium gas now!!! (OK, this is still low by European standard but it makes me think more about the environmental issues...)

The G35 will be great as a second car, but it does not work as well for me as the primary car.
Old 03-10-2004 | 06:58 PM
Instructor

I had been following the G35 since it was in the concept stages, and had my heart set on owning a coupe. When the TSX came out, I thought it was a nice car, but didn't pay too much attention to it since it wasn't in the same performance class as the G.

I've been monitoring both the G35 and TSX forums to get an idea on people's experiences with both cars. At the end of the day, I ended up getting a TSX, and I haven't regretted my purchase.

This is how I broke it down for the 2 cars. "+" for pros and "-" for cons. Remember that all of this is just "IMHO".

G35:
+ looks (exterior)
+ power/handling
+/- attracts attention
- cheap looking interior
- poor fuel economy
- uncomfortable seating
- almost unusable back seat
- very stiff ride
- droning exhaust note at all rpms (I don't mind a loud exhaust during spirited acceleration, but I find the exhaust annoyingly loud during cruising)
- very expensive maintenance (tires are >$300 each, Brembo brakes seem to have a short lifespan of <15,000miles)
- various electrical/mechanical issues (doesn't seem to be widespread, but it seems to be a lot more instances than on the TSX)

TSX:
+ looks
+ awesome interior
+ price
+ FWD (can drive it all year in the snowbelt)
+ very comfortable
+/- more understated, but a more timeless design
-/+ less bold and a bit less youthful, but more sophisticated (In comparison, the TL just looks/feels like an old man's car to me)
- FWD (for handling, but of course this is very subjective. I'm used to handling of FWD cars since I'm coming from an Integra, but when you have the G35's power and torque, RWD is a blast.)
- would have been nice to get the TL's V6 and LSD
- relatively weak brakes

The TSX test drive is what sealed the deal for me. It felt a lot stronger than a typical 4 cylinder. The extra power would be nice, but since I'm not planning on seeing any track time in the car, I'll take the better fuel economy over the extra grunt.

I think the G35C excels more as a weekend/pleasure car rather than a daily driver. The TSX is an excellent daily driver while still being fun to drive - it's a car that I'll be able to keep for a long time, even when it comes time to put a baby seat in the back.

With the money I saved over the G35C, I can easily put that money towards mods on the car, or just pocket it and come out ahead.

All I can say is test drive both and decide which car "feels" better for you. If you don't go with your heart (per se), then you'll probably end up constantly wondering "what if" instead of enjoying whichever fine car you ended up choosing. Get it out of your system now - you have a lot of years left ahead to get something else, especially if money is not a problem!
Old 03-10-2004 | 08:17 PM
Race Director

i'm still planning to get a Infiniti pre owned G35 coupe in a few yrs after the TSX is paid off.

my folks have the AWD G35 sedan and I drove it a few times, it rocked! but, the coupe is the luxury Z!! so, i want it!
Old 03-10-2004 | 09:59 PM
2004 TL Owner

wow dowzer, lots of great points made... I appreciate the commentary..
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:34 PM
Race Director

forgot to add, i would buy the cheapest G35c if it was new. like the one w/ the cloth interior, since it would not be a daily driver one. or i would just get the one w/leather an auto or 6spd manual depending if my future wife can drive stick. just the adreneline rush would be enough for me
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:55 PM
Don't listen to me.

I would of taken the G35 over the TSX in a heartbeat. I would of too, but the Infinity dealership didn't want to see me a car. So I bought an Acura instead.
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:29 AM
4th Gear

very interesting thread... I have a biased answer bc i own a tsx. BUT, my TWIN brother owns a G35 Coupe. We are constantly bickering about our cars. i like mine bc of the interior and price. He like his bc of the exterior and speed.
Old 03-14-2004 | 03:54 PM
2004 TL Owner

OK everyone, I thank you all for the information and insight you have given me, it definetly helped me think about things I never considered... that being said, this weekend I did some test driving and I have decided to go with...

A brand new 2004 Acura 3.2 TL!!!
Yes its bigger, but the interior won me over and the ride was excellent. I can't wait to get it, I'll keep you guys updated!
Old 03-14-2004 | 05:46 PM
Old fart

Congrats man!!

What color ya getting?

Quick Reply: ok serious question here