Ok - Rebadging is the topic......

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - Rebadging is the topic......

Since some people prefer to de-badge their cars, and others put an accord badge on theirs..........any suggestions on where to get a REAL JDM Euro Accord badge?? I just dont like the TSX badge for some reason.......maybe its because my car is really a European Accord, and its easier to explain than "its a TSX"

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But it isn't. There are tweaks that make the TSX different - even if just a bit - from the Euro Accord.

Personally, I think debadging is just plain silly. If you wanted a different name on your car, then just get the other car! Just my opinion....
Old 08-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 08-26-2003, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh boi! dont get that...there is no accord type R for the current generation...

see this thread as we discussed the gay(lame for u PC folks) factor with the type-R badge

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1935
Old 08-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Buy a different car because of the badges? I don't think so! The TSX's basis and heritage are profoundly that of Honda's JDM/Euro Accord, and some people ~simply~ prefer to honor that Honda heritage rather than a contrived marketing scheme in NA called Acura. That a model from one country to the next isn't exactly the same isn't material. There will always be specification differences between models in different markets, regardless of the shiny plastic badge on the trunk lid.

There's substance to what Honda is and means--in constrast to a contrived marketing scheme. Afterall, nearly all of those Acura NSX's, RL's (still Legend), MDX's, and RSX's (still Integra) are all Hondas outside of NA.

I think debadging looks very nice--at the risk of someone misidentifying what the car really is. You can't go wrong by replying that it's a Honda Accord derivative.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Yui
Pro

Sup J-man, where in Dallas are you at?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Yui - North Dallas - valley Ranch/Coppell........have only seen one TSX in this area - SSM. Mines CG. Love the ride, but not too happy with the black leather - since it was only 112 degrees outside when I bought my car in July.......too bad they didnt offer the ivory interior with another ext color choice other than red/black/white.

I agree w Brad on this issue - debadging seems the way to go for me- could there be any warranty issues though if you debadge?????

btw - go to any Honda Europe web site and you'll see that our TSX is pretty much the same car as the Euro Accord- yes with a few minor tweaks - they tweaked mine so the drivers seat moves left to right when you corner
Old 08-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Try Boomplustoys.net for Euro Accord products be aware that the Euro Accord front grille is not a perfect fit it needs modification.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:28 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
If you decide to "rebadge" rather than "debadge", go with the whole package (at least for the exterior). That is to replace the front grill with the JDM Accord grill, remove the "ACURA" emblem on the trunk lid, and replace the "A" and "TSX" with the "H" and "ACCORD" on the trunk lid. However, IMO I wouldn't get the EuroR emblem because the TSX just ain't an Accord EuroR.

If you wanna go all out, replace the "A" wheel caps with the "H" wheel caps, replace the steering wheel with a JDM Accord one (but you may loose the controls on the current steering wheel), and get the floor mats from Accord in Germany (because JDM and UK Accords are right hand drive and the floor mats probably won't fit well in a left hand drive car).
Old 08-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

would you stick some toyota badges ona lexus, or how bout a nissan badge on an infiniti? there is no good reason to put and accord badge on a TSX. just because its technically a JDM accord on the outside, the interior is totally different. its a more luxurious version of a JDM accord. just like an I35 is just a more luxurious maxima, or an ES330 is just a nicer camry. the last thing i want is someone thinking my tsx is an accord. all of us tsx owners paid a premium for all the upgrades it takes to hake a honda into an acura. if i didnt care about driving a luxury brand car id of been shoppin the honda, toyota, and nissan lots.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

B-Geezy... me and you think alike brotha
Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Yui
Pro

Come to think of it, you're right Bobby Gz. I don't think I've ever seen a Lexus owner rebadge their car to a Toyota, or an Infiniti owner to a Nissan. Is this purely a Honda/Acura thing? Or, maybe those manufacturers separate their lines more distinctly so no car is just a rebadging of the other? Dunno...

J-man, I'm close to the eastern edge of Carrollton/southwestern edge of Plano...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:54 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Yui
Is this purely a Honda/Acura thing?
I don't think this is just a Honda/Acura thing. I think it's more like the "pure JDM craze" that some enthusiasts have. Here in SoCali, I've seen quite a few "rebadged" cars such as,

Lexus IS300 --> Toyota Altezza
Acura Integra --> Honda Integra
Acura RSX --> Honda Integra
Acura TL --> Honda Inspire
Toyota Corolla (AE86) --> Toyota Trueno
Nissan 240SX --> Nissan Silvia

I personally rebadged my Integra to Honda Integra simply because it was easier to do. But for the TSX, I feel that I wouldn't rebadge it because I don't want people to confuse my TSX with an Accord. My TSX will stay an Acura TSX.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bobby Gz
would you stick some toyota badges ona lexus, or how bout a nissan badge on an infiniti? there is no good reason to put and accord badge on a TSX. just because its technically a JDM accord on the outside, the interior is totally different. its a more luxurious version of a JDM accord. just like an I35 is just a more luxurious maxima, or an ES330 is just a nicer camry. the last thing i want is someone thinking my tsx is an accord. all of us tsx owners paid a premium for all the upgrades it takes to hake a honda into an acura. if i didnt care about driving a luxury brand car id of been shoppin the honda, toyota, and nissan lots.
Amen! I was gonna bring up the Toyota/Lexus comparison.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bobby Gz
would you stick some toyota badges ona lexus, or how bout a nissan badge on an infiniti? there is no good reason to put and accord badge on a TSX.
I don't know how the Infinitis and Lexuses are marketed around the world, so I don't know if there are any parallels. Does the Lexus brand exist yet in Japan? I know that Lexuses are available in the Oz-NZ markets. I never paid much attention to Lexus or Infiniti. Perhaps those two brands do a lot more creative sheetmetal work than Honda does with Acura? I don't have an opinion or perspective on labeling Lexus as a Toyota or an Infiniti as a Datsun or whatnot.

The truth be told that Honda is a widely scoped brand around the world. That is, it offers very basic economy cars to the somewhat luxurious RL (currently as the Honda Legend) and the exotic Honda NSX--all as Hondas outside NA--not Acuras. The Honda label is entirely appropriate and fully respectable across the board, whether cheap and basic or exotic and fast or luxurious. Yes, Honda includes luxurious and prestigous branding. There's no way around that!

For that matter, Mercedes and BMW, for example, also offer more basic versions of their models that are not available in the NA market. Those MB taxis that we see in Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia are often not the higher-spec higher markup models that we only see here in NA.

I'm often interested in the global perspective on many things. I am a marketing person's nightmare--that is, to look beneath the cover of trumped up marketeering efforts.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Racer

I would claim it to be a Honda/Acura thing. Altho, there are exceptions such as the IS/Altezza and G35/Skyline (those are the only two other luxury brands that I know of that are commonly rebadged). Why is that? I'm not really sure...I currently think Acura never really differentiated their brand from Honda. Considering that the basis of Acura's business plan was to sell more Hondas because of import laws, it was easy to just switch the H to an A and be done with. Lexus and Infiniti quickly jumped on the bandwagon, but realized there's more to the luxury market than re-naming their previous JDM-only cars and focused on luxury. Look where that got them: being recognized as a true luxury brand. Rebadging Acuras has been around the import crowd ever since the whole import scene started back in the early 90s. The only reason people are now rebadging the IS and G35 is because of the JDM craze...