NYPD 1, Tints 0

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYPD 1, Tints 0

I'm a 22 year old college kid. So i drive a TSX with tints, big deal. I have no criminal record and up till recently have not gotten any tickets. Cops lately have been pulling me over for my tints. The shop i got them from told me they were 30's but the nice cop took out the tintmeter and measured the tints to be 25. Then he preceded to write an $80 summons. WTF. Its not like I'm hiding a stack of dead bodies or kilos of cocaine. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so i would assume with all the rape and murder going on like 10 minutes away, they would have better sh*t to do. Ugh, and they wonder why noone likes cops. Sorry, had to vent, been really stressed lately with school and taking the LSAT. Any of you guys have similar beef with the 5-0?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry to break it to ya its the law...

They stop us cuz we have a nice car and they want to get a background check on us. Then they want us to stop breaking the law so we get a summons.

Same thing happens to me when i pass through holland tunnel. Your lucky if you don't get a ticket 3x going through i was stopped and no tint ticket.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:47 AM
10th Gear

I know its the law, im just saying it sucks that the already limited resources of the NYPD are busy catching serial tint offenders instead of real criminals. I guess its safer to pull us over than some crack head with a gun. Go figure.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 AM
10th Gear

Lol after reading this post i feel like i started it. i was driving and the lane was about to end due to construction. i passed up about 5 or 6 cars before mergeing into the right lane. there was a good 40-50 feet of road left when i switched. got pulled over and was givin a ticket for improper use of a lane. what the fuck is that all about. i didn't even kno that was punishable. and yes i know how u feel im a full time college student and im taking the lsat dec 6th.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by russiantsx
I'm a 22 year old college kid. So i drive a TSX with tints, big deal. I have no criminal record and up till recently have not gotten any tickets. Cops lately have been pulling me over for my tints. The shop i got them from told me they were 30's but the nice cop took out the tintmeter and measured the tints to be 25. Then he preceded to write an $80 summons. WTF. Its not like I'm hiding a stack of dead bodies or kilos of cocaine. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so i would assume with all the rape and murder going on like 10 minutes away, they would have better sh*t to do. Ugh, and they wonder why noone likes cops. Sorry, had to vent, been really stressed lately with school and taking the LSAT. Any of you guys have similar beef with the 5-0?
Before my TSX I had a scion tC with 15% tint. I got pulled over 3 times, and the last time I received 2 tickets (1 for each window). Since I've had my TSX (with 35% tint) I have never been pulled over. Knock on wood. I think it has to do with the fact that mine is bone stock except for the tint, and you have mods on yours. NYPD hates young people like us with hot cars and will watch us closely in order to pull us over.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
busting 'serial tint offenders' is easier than actually catching criminals. sorry to break it to you.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 AM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to have 25% tint on my old car, and i never got pulled over in Queens, Brook or LI.. maybe i got lucky

but i guess papa needs a brand new watch
Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TsXForLife
Lol after reading this post i feel like i started it. i was driving and the lane was about to end due to construction. i passed up about 5 or 6 cars before mergeing into the right lane. there was a good 40-50 feet of road left when i switched. got pulled over and was givin a ticket for improper use of a lane. what the fuck is that all about. i didn't even kno that was punishable. and yes i know how u feel im a full time college student and im taking the lsat dec 6th.
I saw one guy got pulled over for the exact same thing and I must say, the cop did the right thing. Just what make you think your time is more important than other people?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't take my TSX to NYC for this exact reason. The only time I've ever driven it there I got a warning for my 20% tints. I'm not risking it. Plus NYC roads suck anyways.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
East Coast Crew

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I have never been pulled over for my tint. Its been over 2 years and I'm still using the 30% Huper Optics. But then again, they don't look as dark as other tint.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

in Ny i've never been pulled over for my tints...but going in to jersey yes.
everytime i go viste my pips in jersey, i do so ...but with my front windows down.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just because you broke the law and got caught for doing it, the cops are the bad guys? If you're a psychic that can predict crimes before they happen, then join the NYPD so that they won't ticket the obvious and visible violations on the road. You broke a law, so you're a criminal. They went after you. End of story.

Remember, the tint laws are there to protect people from you. At night, tint can make it hard for pedestrians to be seen. On some streets with low lighting, I have to open my window to see if there are any pedestrians still on the road. I'm sure New York has a huge pedestrian population. Here in So. Cali, everyone drives a car (even to go to the store 1 block away). There's only a handful of pedestrians, and the police is lax on tint. I've sat at red lights beside police cars with my windows and moon roof closed; they just look over and ignore me.

You have a stinking attitude. You'll understand when you grow older. And just because the shop says it's 30% doesn't mean it's 30%. The manufacturer might label it 30% when its actually 25%. Also, other conditions might be different than in the manufacturer's plant, such as cloud cover, color of the vehicle's interior, etc.

People who don't like cops are violators. Law-abiding citizens love cops.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
People who don't like cops are violators. Law-abiding citizens love cops.
Now there's an awesome blanket statement.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Go back to your tint shop and urge for a refund or RE-TINT your TSX w/ proper 30%. You got screw up by them.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The stock windows come with certain % of tint, so shouldn't the "effective tint %" = stock tint + your new tint?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:51 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by JTso
The stock windows come with certain % of tint, so shouldn't the "effective tint %" = stock tint + your new tint?
That's probably accurate. I had the shop install 20% on my car, but both times a cop has used the tint gauge on my window, it's read between 17-19. This could also be caused by the windows being dirty. In any case, down the line I am going to have my windows re-done to 35%. It's not worth the hassle, at the end of the day. I regret the 20% tint.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Heres the question if your out of state can they give you a ticket for tints?
since tint laws are different in every other state and you have to follow your state?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Is waiting in

Had my windows tinted 20% when I bought the car. Stopped about 4-5 times but never a ticket.

Two years later, I've been given 8 tint tickets from Feb to June. First 6 were only for the front windows, took them off. Last 2 were for the back windows, which was ridiculous.

Tint is just a reason for the police to stop you. 7/10 times they usually find something else to take you in. (warrants, drugs, suspended license, etc.)
Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I read from my tint shop that most factory windows are tinted ~3%. I played it safe and went with 35% bc I know for a fact if it was anything under, cops here would pull me over. and I see where you are coming from. you would think NYPD would have more problems on their hands than they could handle. unfortunately, this is how states make easy money.

when I was in college, we would always get news flashes of students getting mugged off campus. what did the police decide they were going to spend money on? going to all the bars on-campus and carding everyone random weekends.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
That is correct. When the dealership did mine, I asked the guy about it specifically because I've gotten the tint ticket before. He told me that they used something like 23% for the back and 37% for the front to get it within a percentage point of the legal level here. I don't remember if 23 and 37 were right, but they weren't multiples of 5 (I'm sure it wasn't 25 and 40.) Almost like the tint manufacturers took that into consideration.....

As far as the question of being ticketed in other states for what's legel in your state, I've been pulled over in SC. Apparently, their tint laws are different, but because I have Florida plates, Florida insurance, Florida license, etc, he let me go without even a warning. I wasn't speeding, I wasn't weaving, my plates were current. He pulled me for the tint. It's like Rex said, they pull for the tint so they can run you for warrants, outstanding tickets, drugs, etc. I'm sure they get a lot of people that way. It sucks for us law abiding citizens, but if it gets criminals off the streets, I'm willing to accept the minor inconvenience.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

I saw one guy got pulled over for the exact same thing and I must say, the cop did the right thing. Just what make you think your time is more important than other people?
lol i guess i would understand if it would of been busy. it was 1:15pm. i didn't cut anyone off or even speed up. i just kept driving then switched. my favorit part was on the ticket he wrote that i passed up 25 cars. there wasn't even 15 cars total in the area. it was def less than a quarter mile from where it had the first sign to where the lane ended. u honestly think theres traffic like that at 1pm.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Stop saying tints.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I've been driving around here for more than 2 years with 20% tint all around. I got pulled over about two weeks ago on Bedford Ave for the FIRST TIME and they gave me 2 tickets. 1 for each of my front windows. The tintmeter said I had 13%! They got me outta no where... "White Acura Please Pull OVer". AHOLES. OH Well. I know its illegal so I cant really bitch about it. I paid the $160 off at the DMV. Just go to to Atlantic Mall and pay it off.

Nowww Last week that I drove to jersey I made sure I had my windows down
Jersey cops

Good Luck!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey RussianTsx.... Your like my twin in Brooklyn Pwp!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
So ... 30% is legal, but 25% isn't? Show the judge the documented invoice from the tint shop (you DO still have it, right?). Or, like mentioned, get the shop to correct your tinting to legal limits. Or ... pay the fine and consider it a convenience expense for having the tints that you have.

I appreciate the ruffled feathers over being pulled over, me too (particularly that Labor Day speed trap last year when I was going to work on my day off), but as someone with several friends in uniform, I can tell you that cops' average work day is a helluva lot harder than yours. And they're usually not paid enough to have a couple of Acuras in the barn. As Anton Ego said, 'How about a little perspective?"
Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 AM
10th Gear

lmaooooo i kno what u mean. i kno there days are hard. i guess i just hate it when i kiss ass at high levels and still get smacked with a ticket. lol.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 AM
10th Gear

oooo which reminds me of a funny story. my friend got pulled over for going 20 over. he knew he was going to get a ticket regardless of what he said. so while the cop was asking for his info he was leaning on his car. my friend told him "get ur hands off the paint i just washed the car."
Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Is waiting in

Originally Posted by Ruserious
I paid the $160 off at the DMV.
That's a lot for two tickets. I had them reduce it from $480 for 8 tickets, to $270.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM
East Coast Crew

That's a lot of money for a fine. Say NO to Bloomberg.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
In NJ, for example, you can't tint the front windows at all. So any legal tint application looks rather stupid. Allowing the front windows to be tinted at all is a nice compromise between appearance and safety.

I feel very sorry for your $80 ticket. It must be a great hardship considering your admittedly a "college kid" with a nearly $30k car and enough disposable income for the mods in your signature...
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by rex.
That's a lot for two tickets. I had them reduce it from $480 for 8 tickets, to $270.
I got a $160 ticket for my tint in Greenwich earlier this year. I think you got a better deal... stupid Greenwich.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel very sorry for your $80 ticket. It must be a great hardship considering your admittedly a "college kid" with a nearly $30k car and enough disposable income for the mods in your signature...
Old 10-11-2008, 04:15 PM
resident asshole

What do you people need tint for?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Oliver!!!

Because it cuts down on the beating sun and helps keep the interior of the car cool. Not to mention the fact that decent tint reduces UV rays and helps to prolong the life of the interior. Asking that is like asking why people need sunglasses.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Is waiting in

I need the tint to protect me from the women who attack me after they see me because I'm too sexy. It's like an axe commercial
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 AM
JDM Addict

lol.

litesout has it dead on.
my TSX is tinted with quality tints.
my G35s has no tints on it yet.

I hate driving the G35s because it gets so hot in there and the
sun is so intrusive (it gets hot here in the summer in the south).
The tints make the car so much cooler and it really cuts down
the glare and harshness from the rays. makes the car more comfortable.
plus for some cars, like mine, I like the look it adds.

gonna ask why I need a clear bra now?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Oliver!!!

And I don't even look at it from an aesthetics point of view. Yes, I think the tint makes the car look better, but it's beside the point. I got the windows tinted for comfort, and I got them tinted legal to keep from getting tickets.

One of the biggest reasons for tint laws that people ignore is safety. Not just the safety of the occupants of the vehicle, or the safety of the others on the road, but the safety of the officers who are pulling you over. If they can't see into the vehicle, they can't tell if you're drawing a gun on them. They can't tell if you've got a knife just waiting for them to get up next to the car. Ever notice how they shine that bright spotlight into your rear view mirrow when they pull you over? It's not because they want to be an a$$, it's because they need to be able to see into the car for their own safety.

I don't mean to lecture, but the laws are there for a reason. And for the record, I have been pulled over and cited for illegal tint. When I bought my POS Neon, it had 5% all the way around. I paid somebody to strip it off the car. My only regret was not doing it sooner so I could have avoided the ticket. Worse part of the whole thing was that I was already looking at buying something else, and less than a week after I got the tint stripped and the car inspected (just for the ticket, we don't have those in Florida) I bought my Mazda. And then I got it tinted legal.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by litesout
Because it cuts down on the beating sun and helps keep the interior of the car cool. Not to mention the fact that decent tint reduces UV rays and helps to prolong the life of the interior. Asking that is like asking why people need sunglasses.
If its hot out I'll put a blocker in the windshield.

And please, people dont need sunglasses... most people do it to look cool... similar to auto tinting....
Old 10-12-2008, 03:41 PM
resident asshole

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
lol.

litesout has it dead on.
my TSX is tinted with quality tints.
my G35s has no tints on it yet.

I hate driving the G35s because it gets so hot in there and the
sun is so intrusive (it gets hot here in the summer in the south).
The tints make the car so much cooler and it really cuts down
the glare and harshness from the rays. makes the car more comfortable.
plus for some cars, like mine, I like the look it adds.
yea, it makes it cooler... but it still isn't needed. It gets hot here in Chicago, but I don't give a fuck if i don't have tint. Bottom line, you don't need tint.

Like I said, a majority of the people who get tint is mainly for the look. And then, morons like the OP complain about getting tickets for it.

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
gonna ask why I need a clear bra now?
cuz you have man-boobs?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Oliver!!!

Originally Posted by odannyboi
If its hot out I'll put a blocker in the windshield.

And please, people dont need sunglasses... most people do it to look cool... similar to auto tinting....
Okay, first off, blocker in the windshield does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while you're driving. Window tint on the other hand helps to drastically reduce the effects of the sun beating down into the car on a clear day.

Second, there are people out there with a legitimate medical need for sunglasses. Myself included. I didn't put out $200 on sunglasses to look cool as you put it. High quality, polarized lenses are an absolute must for me. And for me to wear them at work, they have to be ANSI rated safety lenses to boot.

Is it necessary for people to tint their windows to survive? No. But it does make life a lot more comfortable. Is it necessary for anybody to drive an Acura, or any vehicle at all for that matter? No. But it does make life a lot more comfortable.

Quick Reply: NYPD 1, Tints 0