Not sure what is going on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Not sure what is going on...

I had my 2006 TSX in for service and the replaced the rear brakes, resurfaced the rotors and rotated the tires. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed the car pulling to the right. Not excessively, but if I let go of the wheel on a straightaway on the freeway I will be in the next lane over in 3-4 full seconds.

I figured, OK, maybe they knocked it out of alignment, and I haven't had an alignment in a long time, so I had one done this morning.

Car still pulls to the right.

What's next?

Car is stock with Yokohama S-Drive tires, and didn't pull either way prior to dealership service.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Did they rotate the tires right? Are the S-Drives unidirectional? If so, make sure the arrows on the side wall go forward.
If the tires are pointing the right direction, then I'd say your wheels/tires need to be rebalanced.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Yeah, I was leaning toward a rebalance as well, unfortunately the alignment shop doesn't do tires..

OK, off to get a re-balance!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Well, The dealership re-rotated the tires back to their original positions, and the pull went away.

I guess i should have gotten that alignment right when I got the Yokohamas put on, instead of waiting 8 thousand miles.

Something about how the rears wore makes the tires back there (when moved to the front) cause the car to pull to the right.

I can either rotate them, and deal with the pull untill it wears away, maybe, or just let the tires stay in their current places and replace the fronts when they wear out before the rears.

BTW, the dealership was pretty pissed that I put aftermarket tires on the TSX (said Yokohama tires were not very high quality tires...) and also that I didn't have THEM do the alignment.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your dealership will always put down anything they didn't sell you. They'll try and tell you they know what's best for your car but if they did, they wouldn't have sold you those horrible tires on it when you bought it. I would avoid that dealership in the future whenever possible.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
BTW, the dealership was pretty pissed that I put aftermarket tires on the TSX (said Yokohama tires were not very high quality tires...) and also that I didn't have THEM do the alignment.
What was your reply when they said that to you?

I'd say the OEM Michelin's don't hold up to my performance needs, that's why I drive on Yoks.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I replaced my OEM michelin tires on my 06 tsx at 74,000 miles. I now have Yokohama Avid 4Vs tires. I hate them. Very noisy, lose traction on wet pavement and gas mileage went down. With the michelins I would get them rotated and balanced every other oil change. With the Yoko's I have it done every oil change. My car now has 89,000+miles.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Your dealership will always put down anything they didn't sell you. They'll try and tell you they know what's best for your car but if they did, they wouldn't have sold you those horrible tires on it when you bought it. I would avoid that dealership in the future whenever possible.
Originally Posted by PACman
What was your reply when they said that to you?

I'd say the OEM Michelin's don't hold up to my performance needs, that's why I drive on Yoks.
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I replaced my OEM michelin tires on my 06 tsx at 74,000 miles. I now have Yokohama Avid 4Vs tires. I hate them. Very noisy, lose traction on wet pavement and gas mileage went down. With the michelins I would get them rotated and balanced every other oil change. With the Yoko's I have it done every oil change. My car now has 89,000+miles.
I understand the dealership's position. I was blaming them for the problem, since the car did not pull prior to them replacing the rear pads and rotating the tires. They felt like I was asking for a bunch of free diagnostic work, etc...

I put aftermarket tires (Yokohama sDrives) on the car because the OEM Michelin tires were garbage, and I told them this. I live in Arizona, not Michigan. It rarely rains and traction, noise and handling are more of an issue than longevity and all weather abilities. I told them this.

NJ, I too lost a small bit of mileage with the softer tires, but I expected this, and what I gained in handling has MORE than made up for the lost 2-3mpg.

I will let the fronts wear without rotating, and will replace in pairs when needed rather than all four at once. No big deal I guess.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
G36
Instructor

If it didn't happen when you brought it in and did when you picked it up, they likely didn't torque in proper sequence and over tightened. In other words, they probably just drove one lug home at a time, which will result in a warped rotor making the wheel pull and a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal. If rotating helped, then keep that tire at the rear. It could also be Radial pull, which there is no fix for, other than replaceing the tire.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Modding newbie

I can gaurentee you they overtightened them. The first thing you do after getting any work done that required your wheels to be taken off and put back on is take them off and install them properly. Any shop that uses an impact to "run them up" will overtighten them in the process. The only way to do it is running them up by hand then hand tighten them while wiggling the wheel to remove the gap completely before getting out the torque wrench.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my 2006 TSX in for service and the replaced the rear brakes, resurfaced the rotors and rotated the tires. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed the car pulling to the right. Not excessively, but if I let go of the wheel on a straightaway on the freeway I will be in the next lane over in 3-4 full seconds.

Car is stock with Yokohama S-Drive tires, and didn't pull either way prior to dealership service.
One of those yokes is defective - take them back to the yoke dealer and complain. They should replace a defective tire.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by nbtx
One of those yokes is defective - take them back to the yoke dealer and complain. They should replace a defective tire.
OK, but how do I demonstrate that it is defective to the dealer? I don't see anything unusual in the wear pattern...
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are not the only one.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=pulls

i'll be taking my car in a couple of weeks to get this looked at as well. now that it's been mentioned in this thread, i did notice that my brakes pulsate ever so lightly now under moderate braking... the wheel installation/overtorque theory might be on to something.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, but how do I demonstrate that it is defective to the dealer? I don't see anything unusual in the wear pattern...
Let the dealer drive the vehicle as it is, and then after they put the rear tires
back on the front as they were when you noticed the pulling to the right.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
update:

foreman at the dealer drove the car and confirmed that my car did pull to the right.

he said its probably "radial pull" aka tire problem.

problem is gone after rotation. looks like ya'll with the problem should rotate the tire to the rear and see if the pulling goes away.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
update:

foreman at the dealer drove the car and confirmed that my car did pull to the right.

he said its probably "radial pull" aka tire problem.

problem is gone after rotation. looks like ya'll with the problem should rotate the tire to the rear and see if the pulling goes away.
I didn't have the problem UNTIL they rotated rear to front... THEN it started pulling. I had them swap the tires back.