Noob and first questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob and first questions

Im interested in purchasing a 2005 Accord Euro 2.0L with Navi.

I currently live in South Africa, the vehicle is a Japanese Import. and therefore the Navi is most likely in Japanese.

I have done quite a few seaches and in some it was noted that if you insert an English Navi disk it will change the System Language. Can anyone Confirm this for me?

Another problem is that in south africa, Honda did not release navigation as yet and you cannot get a local disk at all. So would it be fine if i bought an old disk from Ebay etc and used that to update the sytem files.

Im not interested in using the navigation programme, but more the A/C and fuel Computer etc.

Also how difficult is it to connect a dvd movie interface into the Stock HU.

Damn the TSX in a fine car.

the Japanese import is around $3000 cheaper than a locally sold Accord thats why i want to go for the JAP car
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
9th Gear

If they don't have a disk for S. Africa, then any disk you put in will give you the functions you are asking to use. You just won't be able to use the navigation portion since it won't know where you are. As for your other questions, I don't have an answer
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Not sure if this is possible or not. According to my US service manual there is no setting in the US navi unit for language either in the user menu or the service menu. However, it does mention that Canadian market cars do have an ability to switch between English and French. So this may imply the language is contained on the DVD. I doubt they ship a different Navi unit in US and Canadian cars. But... there may be a different Navi unit in the JDM cars, not sure. The US disc may not even boot in the JDM unit.

If you buy a US market DVD on eBay make sure it is not a copy but the original disc.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 AM
5th Gear

Iv done alot of researching and it seems that the Nav unit is different as the TSx has the dvd rom in the boot as apposed to the Accord euro having it in the dash.

But it could work as theyr both Apline navteq units.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 AM
5th Gear

Heres a pic of the dash. Is it similar to the US accord?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11886049/car%20dash.jpg

If so which nav dosk do i use?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Je t'aime...

You can try to check their Navi site and see if there's any information.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM
5th Gear

This Is what HOnda Japan Had to Say it seems they use a very diff system in japan incl weather, traffic internet and other functions
Some have built in HDD aswell
I guess id rather not purchase the car as then i would be unable to us some functions.

Japan, November 23, 2010
Dear Mr. xxxx xxxxx
Thank you very much for your message on our website, which was forwarded us to reply.
We are fully aware and appreciative of your keenness towards the vehicle of our manufacturing. However, we produce our vehicles for specific markets in accordance with rules and laws, for which our vehicles are different from each specifications.
In this situation, we truly regret to inform that it is impossible to change the language of Navigation system from Japanese into English because the vehicle assumed was manufactured for Japan market and the Navigation System installed in the concerned Accord is only available in Japanese. In addition, Navigation map applicable for this system is only Japan domestic map information, and does not suit oversea areas.
Also we are not able to recommend to replacing the Navigation unit into another one. As you will appreciate, when you install the non original unit, it needs to change the wiring connection, which will be a cause of malfunction on related systems and regarded as modification. As a manufacture, we would like our customers NOT to modify our product.
From the said above, unfortunately we have concluded that we are not able to respond to your request. While we are pleased that you are thinking to purchase our product, hope you will kindly understand why we must take this position.
Thank you for this opportunity to reply.
Takamasa Fujiasaki,
Parts Sales and Service Division
Honda Motor Co., Ltd.