Nighthawk Black Pearl scratches in finish??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nighthawk Black Pearl scratches in finish??

I recently purchased a 2006 NHBP TSX, and have been noticing that in the paint finish there seems to be lines all over the car (only noticible clsoe up). They are not scrathces per say (they surface feels smooth and untouched) but these lines seem to be in the finish itself or maybe very fine scratches on the surface. The scratches are not localized, there are multiple scratches near one another (centimeteres in spacing).

It almost looks like someone took a a hard bristle over the whole car. Is this normal on a new car from the dealer (i.e. would the first wax and buff takes these out) or is this something that I should bring to the dealers attention.

I have washed the car a few times since purhase, but only in the touch free car washes (I havent had the time as of yet to do a full detial wash myself).

Let me hear what you think. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Little white lines? Yes, i noticed the same thing on my dads metallic blue volvo.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Yes they are very small very thin little white lines, all over. Anyone have a clue where they came from?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Not sure, i think they're just scratches.

Thats sorta weird you're getting so many of these so soon. I have my doubts about the TSX paintjob quality. TSX paintjob is nowhere near as good as our 2000 volvo s70.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by coondog64
I recently purchased a 2006 NHBP TSX, and have been noticing that in the paint finish there seems to be lines all over the car (only noticible clsoe up). They are not scrathces per say (they surface feels smooth and untouched) but these lines seem to be in the finish itself or maybe very fine scratches on the surface. The scratches are not localized, there are multiple scratches near one another (centimeteres in spacing).

It almost looks like someone took a a hard bristle over the whole car. Is this normal on a new car from the dealer (i.e. would the first wax and buff takes these out) or is this something that I should bring to the dealers attention.

I have washed the car a few times since purhase, but only in the touch free car washes (I havent had the time as of yet to do a full detial wash myself).

Let me hear what you think. Thanks!
You have to be careful with dark colored cars because they show any imperfections more than light colored cars. Those swirl marks can be buffed out if they're not too bad, but I wouldn't wash my car any other way than by hand.

Dirt trapped between the paint and whatever you wash the car with can cause this, overzealous waxing can cause it, etc. When you wash, using something like one of the soft brushes made for car washing can help, because it won't trap dirt in it. I've had good luck with these.

Dark cars look good clean, but they require more care and attention to keep the paint in good shape. Check with a good local detailer about getting the scratches buffed out.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Begin obsession:

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?

Welcome to thin Acura black paint and the curse of the dealership "free" wash.

These are probably "dealer installed" fine scratches in the paint. Often they wash your car for you before delivery, and do a terrible job. Check out the ablove link, you will find hours of reading on how to properly wash your car, as well as how to remove the marks you have. Good luck, and get some OCD medication, you will need it.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced

find someone good with a buffer and make sure they use quality compounds/glazes/waxes. If you go to AUtoZone or the alike stick with Mothers or Meguiars. If they have their hands on commercial then use AutoMagic or Gliptone.

Makes me realize how much my 96 Accord needs some lovin and I detail 50 hours a week!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:43 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prnstr4life
Makes me realize how much my 96 Accord needs some lovin and I detail 50 hours a week!
Hopefully not all on your own car!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpt
Hopefully not all on your own car!

Of course not...for the dealer I work for! When you do it daily you never want to do your own car. I did the TSX a week after i bought it since the dealer i got it from did such a shitty job (pain not smooth, dust on dash, windows streaky)
Old 04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

You are referring to the Dealer installed swirls. You can only see them in sunlight and what not, and they look cobwebby. Recently I removed MANY of those (my car . It isn't too hard you can do it by hand and your car will come out impeccable.

Basically you need to know what you are doing when detailing a car, I'll give you the basic rundown.

1. Rinse with cold water to loosen up dirt and dust (not in direct sunlight so there isn't any uneven drying)
2. Soap the car up (I prefer Turtle Wax Zip Wash, Meguair's Deep Crystal, or Meguiar's Gold Class (Good for Dark Cars)).
3. Wash off the soap going from top of car to bottom.
4. Use Microfiber Towel or Terry Cloth to dry use strokes that follow the body lines of the car (no mr. miagi wax on wax off stuff yet)
5. Use Meguair's Scratch X (on the whole car) let it sit like you are waxing
6. Optional: Clay bar the car (Meguair's or Mother's is fine)
7. Then apply a wax of your choice (Meguair's NXT works REALLY WELL, but doesn't last as long so I use Meguiar's Gold Class.)->wax on wax off.
8. Optional: Kiss your car cuz it's so damn clean
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info! But I still do not beleive they are swirl marks.....wouldnt swirl marks be in the shape or swirls, or circles? These lines/scratches are all straight (perfectly straight) and run along the contour of the car.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Quattro in.....

The scratches are probably just on the clear coat and could be a result from drying the car with a dirty towel or microfiber. They should come out with a good polish/glaze. Definitely avoid having others wash your car because you do not know the quality of the towels they are using to dry your car. I think this is the main reason why a lot of members say be sure to tell the dealer that you don't want the complimnetary car wash offered at most Acura dealers when you bring your car in for service, especially if you have a dark colored car.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznt1217
You are referring to the Dealer installed swirls. You can only see them in sunlight and what not, and they look cobwebby. Recently I removed MANY of those (my car . It isn't too hard you can do it by hand and your car will come out impeccable.

Basically you need to know what you are doing when detailing a car, I'll give you the basic rundown.

1. Rinse with cold water to loosen up dirt and dust (not in direct sunlight so there isn't any uneven drying)
2. Soap the car up (I prefer Turtle Wax Zip Wash, Meguair's Deep Crystal, or Meguiar's Gold Class (Good for Dark Cars)).
3. Wash off the soap going from top of car to bottom.
4. Use Microfiber Towel or Terry Cloth to dry use strokes that follow the body lines of the car (no mr. miagi wax on wax off stuff yet)
5. Use Meguair's Scratch X (on the whole car) let it sit like you are waxing
6. Optional: Clay bar the car (Meguair's or Mother's is fine)
7. Then apply a wax of your choice (Meguair's NXT works REALLY WELL, but doesn't last as long so I use Meguiar's Gold Class.)->wax on wax off.
8. Optional: Kiss your car cuz it's so damn clean
Sorry, but this is a horrible procedure.

I would post your problem in off topic under the Wash & Wax section. You'll get some better responses. Also, posting pics would be a big help.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Hate to be the ugly noob, but I agree. There are tons of detailing forums that cover a full detail, from wash to topcoat. www.autopia.org and www.detailcity.org are two of my favorites.

We just picked up my wife's car last night. Both the salesman and GM were amazed that I declined their free detail. I was as polite as possible, but when pressed I was frank about my reasons.

Light scratches and swirls are really one and the same...imperfections in the clearcoat that are much more easily seen against a dark color. Depending on the severity, you can get them out by hand, but it'll take some effort. If you're not comfortable with the process, a quality detail done by a pro will cost ~ $200. The kicker...if your car is a daily driver, they'll be back. There's no way to avoid swirls, but careful and frequent washing and topcoat application will certainly delay them. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
DC > *