Next Generation TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Generation TSX

Didn't see this posted here yet. I found this at ToV, and from the sounds of it the next gen TSX may not get a turbocharged motor as previously speculated, but it probably will get SH-AWD, if you can believe the info here:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=618899

Is a V6 in the offing for the next TSX? Discuss.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you didn't search hard enough.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waTSX
Didn't see this posted here yet. I found this at ToV, and from the sounds of it the next gen TSX may not get a turbocharged motor as previously speculated, but it probably will get SH-AWD, if you can believe the info here:

I'd prefer a V6. I'm just not convinced that a 2.3L turbo, with all the additional heat and pressure, will hold up as well as a normally aspirated 3.0L V6.

Generally, I think Acura has very sound marketing strategies, but one thing I'd like to see is more variety in their offerings, like Lexus. Lexus offers three versions of the IS, soon will have two ES options, three different GS's and both short and long wheel-base LS models.

So, for the 2009 TSX? How 'bout (1) SH-AWD in a coupe, with either the turbo or V6. (2) Offer the same drive train options in a convertible. (3) For the sedan, leave it as FWD with a four, soften the ride, and make it a bit quieter, maybe stretch it an inch or two, and target the non-performance entry level lux buyer. Maybe in 2011, offer the bigger engine and SH-AWD in the sedan. my

Oh yeah, also: offer a second shade of red - TL's got a great red.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

While it would be nice to see some other options, that would defeat the whole mission of Honda. Going to different engine or drivetrain options, having a convertible or coupe option, etc. will just push the "value" pricing up and up and up. By refusing to go a completely a-la-carte route, Honda has been able to offer so much for much less than competitors because the operating efficiencies it gains are passed down to the consumer.

Originally Posted by Washington
I'd prefer a V6. I'm just not convinced that a 2.3L turbo, with all the additional heat and pressure, will hold up as well as a normally aspirated 3.0L V6.

Generally, I think Acura has very sound marketing strategies, but one thing I'd like to see is more variety in their offerings, like Lexus. Lexus offers three versions of the IS, soon will have two ES options, three different GS's and both short and long wheel-base LS models.

So, for the 2009 TSX? How 'bout (1) SH-AWD in a coupe, with either the turbo or V6. (2) Offer the same drive train options in a convertible. (3) For the sedan, leave it as FWD with a four, soften the ride, and make it a bit quieter, maybe stretch it an inch or two, and target the non-performance entry level lux buyer. Maybe in 2011, offer the bigger engine and SH-AWD in the sedan. my

Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Washington
... more variety in their offerings, like Lexus.
Lexus new L-Finese design has all thier cars looking the same. The IS, ES, LS should be called Small, Medium, Large, instead.

Definately! If the TSX had the TL red with parchment it would be a nice combo. The TSX red is just too RED for me.

But if Acura puts SH-AWD (and frankly I don't need this one bit) and a turbo or v6, they will price it out of the niche it is in. And it is the value of the car that made the decisoin for me. I the car was north of ~$32K I would be looking at other cars more seriously. It would not surprise me to see the TL with SH-AWD as standard, and it has the engine to handle it, to have the TSX the same is not much different than Lexus "Small, Medium, Large" approach (TSX, TL, RL).

I think one of the ways they keep the TSX prices low is that they leverage the production off the JDM and Euro accord. Splitting too far from this baseline will raise the complexity of production and increase costs and unless these cars are headed this way (SH-AWD, V6 etc), I don't see the TSX heading that way either. And that will make me happy. If I want all that I'll buy an Audi or BMW xi.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Lexus new L-Finese design has all thier cars looking the same. The IS, ES, LS should be called Small, Medium, Large, instead.
I agree, and I'm getting tired of looking at them, and they're not even half-way through their run. But they offer cars that appeal to the performance minded, and other cars for those who just want high quality and comfort. If, down the road, Acuras all have SH-AWD and mostly turbocharged engines (a la Volvo), they'll probably not have a car that is a match for me.

I think Acura could greatly expand the number of cars they offer without really expanding the number of platforms: offer a luxury version of each of their three cars with costs in line with what they are now, and performance versions at increased cost.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
. . . By refusing to go a completely a-la-carte route, Honda has been able to offer so much for much less than competitors because the operating efficiencies it gains are passed down to the consumer. . .
Yeah. And I think this is one of the areas where Acura really beats their competition: Leather, moonroof, HIDs, etc. (even automatic trans), don't get piled on top of the base price. If I was buying a Lexus IS, I'd have to have $3000-$4000 of optional stuff. But I do like the option of buying the IS with or without AWD, or with the choice of the 200 HP or 300 HP engine.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waTSX

what's with the 'discuss'? no shit.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
More like "Grande", "Venti", and "Out of your price range". How sweet does that new parallel parking assist look on the long base LS tho.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by pbjpb
Thanks for your valuable input.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pbjpb
quit being a dildo
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As someone pointed out of at TOV, the Euro Accord has not to date been fitted with a V6, so its not likely the next generation will get one either. Its not likely they will do the re-engineering needed to fit one into the US market TSX. I think this would be a mis-step at any rate. V6 is midsize sedan territory in the world of Honda, not compact sport sedan territory.

The K23T would be far more practical as a performance or "Type-S" engine if they wanted to offer a high zoot version of the car. It would work fine with the AWD system, and the re-engineering needed would not be as severe since the K23T is based off the K24 to begin with. It would plop into the engine bay without alot of extra fuss or weight gain (maybe 70-90 lbs of total turbo componentry)
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
As someone pointed out of at TOV, the Euro Accord has not to date been fitted with a V6, so its not likely the next generation will get one either. Its not likely they will do the re-engineering needed to fit one into the US market TSX. I think this would be a mis-step at any rate. V6 is midsize sedan territory in the world of Honda, not compact sport sedan territory.

The K23T would be far more practical as a performance or "Type-S" engine if they wanted to offer a high zoot version of the car. It would work fine with the AWD system, and the re-engineering needed would not be as severe since the K23T is based off the K24 to begin with. It would plop into the engine bay without alot of extra fuss or weight gain (maybe 70-90 lbs of total turbo componentry)
I agree that a V6 might not be the solution due to size constraints and the handling penalty of more weight up front. I do not understand why they would mate an AWD system to a NA 4 cylinder however. I'd consider buying one if they added the factory turbo.

Since the HP gain was fairly moderate for the '06 refresh, I don't guess there is too much left to squeeze out of the current engine block. Is there any room yet to grow the displacement of the current motor and leave it at 4 cylinders? 2.8 sticks in my mind as the largest I've seen. Would this even help with the AWD system adding weight and increase drivetrain loss?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Have camera, will travel

It doesn't seem to make sense that Acura would add weight with the SH-AWD without compensating by increasing engine power, either with a turbo 4 or smallish V6. Many consider the TSX to be underpowered as it is now.

One of the posters responding to the ToV article suggested a steep angle V6 in the 2.5L range, putting out around 250hp. That would solve the size problem of adding a V6, according to that poster.

I wouldn't be opposed to a turbo 4, if they could also keep vehicle weight reasonable. The car doesn't need to get any heavier.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Maybe they will do a low pressure Turbo 2.3L (230hp/220lb-tq) and a high pressure Type-S turbo sedan/coupe later (250hp/260lb-tq). This worked for other manufacturers like Volvo.

Scratch the V-6 because it will no larger than a 3.0L and it might be smaller (remember the old 2.7L V-6 Legend) and Honda seems to make a better I-4 tranny compared to a V-6 Tranny for some reason.

Any naturally aspirated engine by Honda/Acura will ALWAYS lack what it needs most which is displacement and torque. S/C or Variable flow Turbo with DOHC i-VTEC would provide the only missing ingredient to the Acura power and performance category since they don’t like to use displacement (RL, TL, and TSX).

I love my 06 TSX, if the all new TSX comes with sh-awd with no turbo; I’m giving a Comptech vendor a call and scheduling my S/C upgrade.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by amadeus303
While it would be nice to see some other options, that would defeat the whole mission of Honda. Going to different engine or drivetrain options, having a convertible or coupe option, etc. will just push the "value" pricing up and up and up...
I agree. To me, one great value in buying an Acura is that you're not confronted (confounded) by a labyrinth of options and packages and packages that require other packages. You pick your color, your tranny, navi, and go. It simplifies their production and it simplifies my buying. I hate it when I find a car that is the color, etc., that I want but has the such-and-so package that is "worth" $3k even though it isn't worth anything to me. Or to get the 17" wheels you have to buy a package with a spoiler. Bah.