New TSX's on hold for recall *Auto-Trans Issue*

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the bulletin fdl just posted, there's one thing that bothers me about the way this situation is being handled.

From what I've read here, it appaers that all dealers have only been given instructions not sell cars in the affected VIN ranges until they have been inspected as well as specific instructions on how the inspections should be done. That's all fine and good, but have the dealers been told what the actual problem is? Any customer with half a brain is going to ask this question. Acura/Honda is really putting dealers in a bad position if they're not passing down the details.

Feel free to point me to another post if I'm wrong. But I don't recall anyone saying they were told specifics of this problem by their dealer. And from a customer point of view, the dealer is really all that matters in this situation.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Orangeblood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well today I avoided the whole problem by taking delivery of a 6MT (CG/Quartz).

The dealer was still pretty mystified. Theyre holding and the rumor is transmissions being shipped from Japan, which normally takes about 6 weeks.

Its a bummer for the dealers as well as anyone hung up by it.

Man the 6MT be nice. Whole car is nice. I encourage those who are hung up to persevere. IT'S WORTH IT!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

What do you mean the problem is a mystery? The car has the wrong tranny case. Its right there in black and white.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by Billiam
Acura/Honda is really putting dealers in a bad position if they're not passing down the details.

Feel free to point me to another post if I'm wrong. But I don't recall anyone saying they were told specifics of this problem by their dealer. And from a customer point of view, the dealer is really all that matters in this situation.
I believe I read somewhere that the affected cases are out of spec, and can cause leaks.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Billiam my car was in the affected VIN range and since it was cleared for sale, it means that it came from the factory with the correct transmission case. I called my dealer to make sure that my car was inspected, and they gave me a copy of the inspection sheet, which was dated March 26 the same day the the email, which was posted here earlier, was dated. I do not think that a solution has been given for the cars which are currently on hold, so if a car is for sale, the only thing done to it was an inspection.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally posted by yuhoo22
{SNIP}I called Acura Corporate today and asked if there was a hold on the TSX. The rep. I spoke to said that there was a note on all TSX within a range, although he said he did not know the range or could not release it to me.

He did however say what the problem was. He told me that the wrong tranny case was put on for only the AT. All the cars in the range had to be inspected and the tranny case had to be swapped out. The current case that is on the car causes the tranny to leak.
{SNIP}
This is the only reference I've seen to "the wrong transmission case." Have there been others? As far as I've read, Colin and Kurt's posts from their dealer perspectives have never mentioned the case being wrong. I only bring this up because how many times have we all heard about inaccurate information coming customer service reps in a corporate office. The dealers, not Acura Corporate, are the first one's that are going to get bitched at about this. I'm simply asking, have they been told all the information they need to answer a barrage of questions from PO'd customers?

I'm trying to put a positive spin on this. Perhaps the RCL-1 isn't the wrong case. Could it simply be that there are two tranmission plants or production lines and something went wrong on one of them?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally posted by conant
Billiam my car was in the affected VIN range and since it was cleared for sale, it means that it came from the factory with the correct transmission case. I called my dealer to make sure that my car was inspected, and they gave me a copy of the inspection sheet, which was dated March 26 the same day the the email, which was posted here earlier, was dated.
Conant, I just read your post after I put up my latest response. Out of curiousity, does the inspection sheet say you have the "correct" transmission case or does it say that you do not have the one with the problem? Again, I'm just hoping that maybe those with the affected case won't need a full swap. Just a fix of some sort.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:04 AM
Racer

???
if my vin number doesnt fall in that range, then i dont have to worry about this whole issue, correct!?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes Dani, that would be why the gave a range of affected (key word) vin numbers. Not all of the numbers in that range have the problem they just need to be inspected. If you're outside that range you can forget reading any of the above posts....
Old 04-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by Billiam
This is the only reference I've seen to "the wrong transmission case." Have there been others? As far as I've read, Colin and Kurt's posts from their dealer perspectives have never mentioned the case being wrong. I only bring this up because how many times have we all heard about inaccurate information coming customer service reps in a corporate office. The dealers, not Acura Corporate, are the first one's that are going to get bitched at about this. I'm simply asking, have they been told all the information they need to answer a barrage of questions from PO'd customers?
Until recently, we did not know the nature of the problem, only that they needed to be replaced. As for "bitchy" customers, I don't think there will be too much fallout from this. Only people here will really know about this "hold order" (TOV isn't even reporting it yet), and then it only affects those who are waiting for their cars. I don't think any have been actually delivered to customers. We are only talking about SOME of the 3000 cars in the affected VIN range.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Billiam - There was an email posted in this thread from Honda NA (I think) which stated that the cars in this affect VIN range either had a transmission case RCL-1 or RCL-2, this was also confirmed by my dealer. The defective case was RCL-1, and if the car has it it must be put on hold until a solution is found. My car had the RCL-2 case and was thus released for sale, if the car does not have the correct case, from the factory, it currently can not be sold, as there is no solution yet (to the best of my knowledge). My dealer was very forward about the situation and stated that none of the cars on there lot had the defective case, which leads be to believe it was probably a single run and this is the current range they can narrow it down to. The inspection sheet states "Trans case inspection" then "released for sale", it was dated March 26, the same day as the email sent to the dealers from Honda.

Hope this helps
Old 04-07-2004, 11:11 AM
You all suck.

Alright, my VIN ends in 04318, so where is my car?! Purchased the middle of March, due....
Old 04-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Canadian cars have a different set of VINs.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:59 PM
You all suck.

So I need to find the Canadian service bulletin, any helpers?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So far nothing released for canadian cars so you can breath easy.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:54 PM
You all suck.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I just have a hard time believing the greasy salesman that there isn't a single SSM 5AT in all of Canada, or his story about transoceanic shipping delays...

Thanks for at least a little moderate relief Dan!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

I've been mostly lurking for a while, and haven't kept up with the forum for a while. I am glad I decided to check on this today. Special thanks to "fdl" for the copy of the memo to dealers.

I have been trying to get a TSX CG/Quartz/6MT for three months now, and when I stopped by the dealer after work yesterday to check on the status of the car, I was told about the problem. But I was told the problem was on all TSX's and they had temporarily stopped production on all of them. I find out here that it was just for AT's.

This means the dealer was 1) seriously mistaken (perhaps incompetent?) or 2) being deceptive or just plain lying. As i said, I had asked for this car over 3 months ago, and still don't have a build date. This really pisses me off. Maybe it time to check out a new dealership.

I live in the Houston, TX area, and now I'm not particularly thrilled about any of the dealers here. I've seen kurt_bradley posting here, and might even be willing to go to Austin (~ 3 hours) if I could get a good deal with respectful treatment. My GF has family there and it would a good excuse to drive there for a weekend. (Sorry Colin, you're just a bit too far away and then there's that small problem called the Pacific Ocean).
Old 04-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Orangeblood

Sounds like bushwa because I just bought a CG/Q 6MT on 4/4. It had just come into the dealership in Dallas.

Goodson, by all accounts a pretty decent place.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

My dealer has informed me that the replacement transmissions are in the U.S. and that they should have one by Fri. or Sat. 4/16-4/17. Should have my car with newly installed transmission Fri. or Mon.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:03 AM
You all suck.

Picked my car up last night, with the new transmission housing installed. The sales rep was no help, so I asked to go over the PDI with the service manager. My car had sat there for 4 weeks according to their dealer invoice...
Old 04-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by TdotSSTSX
Picked my car up last night, with the new transmission housing installed. The sales rep was no help, so I asked to go over the PDI with the service manager. My car had sat there for 4 weeks according to their dealer invoice...
My car came in on Mar. 21st. So it's been over 3 weeks for me. The General Manager at my dealership did say they would pay the first months lease payment since it took so long and that he would also see about an extended warranty on the transmission. No official paperwork on that, only the word of the GM... so we'll see.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:03 AM
You all suck.

I can't complain too much, the dealer gave me a loaner EL on the first of the month to hold me over with only my $500 deposit to secure the sale. I'm REALLY happy I didn't quit and get the S60, the TSX is a blast to drive, plus, I'm not driving around in a car that's hot with the baby boomers.

TSX
Old 04-22-2004, 09:59 AM
8th Gear

Hi guys, I bought my car on mid march, picked it up 3/19. This recall happened much later right? So it doesn't affect my car?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM

sad to have to replace the trannys on a new car...guess sh!t happens
Old 04-28-2004, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

for a good laugh check out the TSB for a 2000 Chevy Cavalier http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/001041GK.html

wonder which car/model/year has the most?
Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Colin,

How would I find out if my TSX was on the train that got derailed. The VIN # of my TSX is JH4CL95824CO26139. The reason I ask is that the suspension/alignment on my TSX is outside of Acura's specifications. I picked up the car on March 26, 2004 and it was delivered to my dealer (Whit Bear Acura in White Bear Lake MN) on March 15. The dealer is working with me to resolve the alignment issues my car has. I have put a number of posts on another thread (I Recieved a Defective TSX) in this forum. Please go there for more info about my particular situation and my contact info. The service manager at my dealer is Bill Leigh. My speculation is that the suspension on my car was damaged in transport. I am interested in finding any information that can help me and my dealer get the suspension/alignment of my car into specs so that it handles and feels the way the car was designed to. To that end, I am interested in contacting other dealers and owners who have successfully resolved similar suspension/alignment issues on TSXs.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Just got a call saying that my TSX will need to be brought into the dealership to be inspected. They did say that it just needs to be inspected not replaced...Yet
Old 05-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

So it turns out the TSX that I bought on Saturday falls in the range. I called the dealer and they told me that the transmition was replaced (new one from the factory). They did not disclose this information prior to sale to my salesman or myself. Should I be concerned about this?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Orangeblood

GMU, really hate to be a wet blanket, but one guy who got caught up in that had an alignment problem that wouldn't go away. Turns out they farked up his front end dropping the tranny to change out the case.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=8979

I would be on the lookout for a) front end problems of any description, and b) tranny problems. If any arise, raise holy hell.

The person I speak of posted on here, might search for the thread. They did him right and gave him a new car.

Might write a letter to your dealer and not ask for anything just put them on notice that you have received what you consider a "factory second." That should pave the way for good treatment in the event something DOES arise.

Really hope it doesn't. But I don't have much faith in the average grease monkey.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Cruisin'

Mark, thanks for the information and solid advice. I will definitely be sending the dealer a certified letter expressing my concern.

I need to decide pretty quickly if I should go after a concession now (extended warranty, paid maintenance, other options) or wait it out. I feel like the dealer was dishonest in the transaction for not disclosing trans replacement. Do you guys think that's a fair statement?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

update:

I just spoke with the GM at my dealership who said that he dissagreed that the new trans might affect the value. Regardless, he is willing to take back the car for a replacement vehicle that was not part of the trans problem VIN range. The GM said he would do this because the trans replacement was not disclosed prior to sale. Hopefully he will stay true to his word.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

Just got inspected today have rcl-2 all is well
Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Update:

I picked up my new car this afternoon. Dealer followed through as promised. Car had 3 miles on it at delivery! They went above and beyond my expectations.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:07 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gmucowman
Update:

I picked up my new car this afternoon. Dealer followed through as promised. Car had 3 miles on it at delivery! They went above and beyond my expectations.
holy cow! you got a new car?! nice!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Orangeblood

Good deal GMU.

One can get the impression that Acura and their dealers are somewhat indifferent to our squeaks, rattles, and sliding seats (on the other hand, one can safely conclude that this is among the most OCD bunch of car owners on the planet).

Good to see theyre doing right by those affected by what could (doesn't have to be but seems theres a lot of margin for error changing out tranny case) be a serious pre-sale mod.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Banned

Fuck ! Just spoke with the dealer...they NEVER perform the mandated inspection on the car I bought.
(My AT VIN is in the range)
Took delivery 6/4/04...they have what ? 3 months to do it ?
lazy bastards