New TSX's on hold for recall *Auto-Trans Issue*

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New TSX's on hold for recall?

Well I've finally thrown my hat into the ring and started the process to get my TSX. I had agreed to a price over the phone with the internet manager at the dealer this afternoon ($27,500.00, 6mt w/ navi no extras) when he told me that he was just found out that all the dealers were told by the factory not sell any TSX's. All cars were on hold for some reason. He thought there was some sort of recall issue or something. He can't even sell the 3 he has in stock until further notice. Is this true? Should I call another dealer for back up? This is the same dealer I've been taking my 2000 Integra GS-R sedan to for service and he know's that I'm a current loyal customer. Do you think he might be trying to back out of the deal or is there really some sort of issue out there on the cars where the dealers were told to halt sales temporarly?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

whow - wierd ... ok dealer buddies on here ... any insight? Where's "the oracle"?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well no official recals. 5 TSBs though: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/04013446.html
Old 03-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
On the Acura Interactive Network there is a note regarding a "hold" order on TSXs within a certain VIN range. It seems transmission cases are out of specification. Repair directions to follow.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
cmf
ATCer

colin-- do you have a link or copy of the VIN ranges
Old 03-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Colin
On the Acura Interactive Network there is a note regarding a "hold" order on TSXs within a certain VIN range. It seems transmission cases are out of specification. Repair directions to follow.
So the expectation is these are ones that are on lots or maybe recently sold? Dumb question ... 5AT or 6MT?

As always, thanks Colin
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Race Director

man, this stinks, if my TSX is in for a recall, this will be my first and last Acura and my last Honda car ever.

my money will go to either Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti if this is the case.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
man, this stinks, if my TSX is in for a recall, this will be my first and last Acura and my last Honda car ever.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

No sure if I should post this now since I cannot do this annomously, but here goes:

Certain TSXs in your new car unsold inventory, as well as vehicles in-transit to your dealership between VIN JH4CL96***C025689 and VIN JH4CL96***C028611, are affected by this Special PDI Inspection. These vehicles CANNOT be sold or leased until they have been inspected.

Please note that this does not say they MUST be replaced. It simply says they MUST be inspected. Try not to get too excited people.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks Colin ... great info for "about to be" TSX owners ... can't hurt to be aware.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Photography Nerd

Well none of those companies are doing much better. The G35 Coupe has 3 safety recalls, 2 general recalls, and 32 TSBs! http://www.alldata.com/TSB/27/03271412.html

The Lexus TSBs are similar to what Acura has: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/0331_mo.html
Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Well all the cars we have on hand right now are all before the VIN dates above. On the plus side, maybe some of those cars were in the batch that got derailed.:P
Old 03-25-2004, 10:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rather they recall my car then not do anything and wait for things to break, like they did with the TL/CL trannies.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Instructor

I certainly hope you posted that comment for the comic value.
If not, than you need to wake up. Your Acura will last longer than anything out there.

Nissan? You've got to be fucking kidding.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:46 PM
cmf
ATCer

Maybe not specifically Nissan, but you have to Admit, Toyota/ Lexus is pretty tough competition too. I think Hondas are the best, but if I had to go another route, it would be with Toyotas
Old 03-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Teh ?

Thank goodness I took a look at this post.

I checked all the VINs at the Denver/Boulder dealerships but none of those numbers match. But then again, I emailed the internet sales teams at the three locations and I've had no reply for three days, so... maybe they got concerns as well.

I'll find out on Friday afternoon.

Junkster, whose itchin' for a TSX now.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Race Director

of course it would be biast to say that our Acura will last the longest because all of us or mostly all of us are Honda/Acura buyers, but i hate to admit this, but Toyota/Lexus is still better quality than our beloved Honda/Acura.

i just kind of overreacted because i was just sick of all of these complaints with the TSX with the rattles, rust, and stuff like that. well just expected Acura to still have their troublefree reliable days like they did when the company first started in the late 80s and 90s.

i guess the Japanese made TSX is still more reliable I think than any BMW, Mercedes, or Audi luxury cars am I right?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 AM
10th Gear

Wow! I guess I fell better that they did this now before I bought mine! Anybody know if this is 5AT or 6MT or both and to what extent this transmission issue is?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Like Colin said earlier in this post...Don't get too excited just yet. All the message to us last week said was to perform an inspection on the automatic transmission equipped cars that started arriving as of last week and the ones that are in transit if they fell within a certain range of VIN. Not that there was a recall out or any sort of problem just yet. Lighten up. So we can't sell the cars just yet that fall under the VINs they selected if they have a certain code on the transmission case. That doesn't mean a whole lot. We'll keep everyone posted if anything comes up. I'd know...look at my sig. I have to check in the cars personally at my dealer. I'll be on top of this one. Trust me. I am curious too, but I'm not going to start jumping to conclusions. Breath a little easier.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

of course it would be biast to say that our Acura will last the longest because all of us or mostly all of us are Honda/Acura buyers, but i hate to admit this, but Toyota/Lexus is still better quality than our beloved Honda/Acura.

i just kind of overreacted because i was just sick of all of these complaints with the TSX with the rattles, rust, and stuff like that. well just expected Acura to still have their troublefree reliable days like they did when the company first started in the late 80s and 90s.

i guess the Japanese made TSX is still more reliable I think than any BMW, Mercedes, or Audi luxury cars am I right?
Every car I have bought new in my life has been one of the German 5 (Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche and VW) or an Acura. I can say without hesitation the Acura's were the most reliable of the bunch by a significant stretch, also cheaper to maintain and service when something did go wrong. In my opinion if you value driving excitement with a dash of reliability tossed in BMW/Porsche et al. is the way to go, if you prefer long term reliability with a decent amount of driving excitement then the new Acura's are hard to beat for the price.

Some of the issues Acura is having are related to how much more complex their cars are than they were, this is something the German's have been fighting for years. In the last couple of years car manufacturers have made a huge effort to reduce cost (case in point post Renault, Nissan) this at the same time there has been significant public pressure to add many new complex sub-systems such as Nav. This has tossed manufacturers into a difficult spot. This may be the main reason M-B has been hit so hard with QC problems in recent years! Bottom line, the worst cars are better than the best cars from 15 years ago, in every aspect, and in general reliability has increased across the board, but we expect more and want more toys in the cockpit. Plus, in the end it is a roll of the dice, you can buy a extremely complex Audi and drive it 100k and never visit the dealer for anything but routine service and you could also buy a Honda Civic DX with little more than a steering wheel and tires and it could live at the dealer. Picking Acura simply means you are rollon' with loaded dice, not a sure thing but you shift the odds away from the house.

Vandy

Vandy
Old 03-26-2004, 08:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by provench
Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Maybe these are the TSX that were involved in the recent train wreck. Chances are that not all the cars were destroyed. Some would survive and may appear fine on the outside but its possible some components that are not visible have been damaged during the violent derailment and Acura wants dealers to inspect them thoroughtly before selling them.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by shabaaz
Maybe these are the TSX that were involved in the recent train wreck. Chances are that not all the cars were destroyed. Some would survive and may appear fine on the outside but its possible some components that are not visible have been damaged during the violent derailment and Acura wants dealers to inspect them thoroughtly before selling them.
No way, the cars in the train wreck will all go to the crusher. This is unrelated. BUT it is possible that some of the cars involved in the wreck are affected by this notice.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No way, the cars in the train wreck will all go to the crusher. This is unrelated. BUT it is possible that some of the cars involved in the wreck are affected by this notice.
Wouldn't they salvage them for parts?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

No No No No! No part from a wrecked vehicle will ever find it's way into another car! Ever! AHM policy.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Advanced

I don't think every single car would have been destroyed. Depending on the severity of the train wreck there are probably some cars that are totaled and some may just have scratches, dings and minor damage that the dealers can fix. One guy on this forum said his TSX was on the train and he got it undamaged.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=2
Old 03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by shabaaz
I don't think every single car would have been destroyed. Depending on the severity of the train wreck there are probably some cars that are totaled and some may just have scratches, dings and minor damage that the dealers can fix. One guy on this forum said his TSX was on the train and he got it undamaged.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=2
Granted, some of the cars may not have been damaged enough, and will be repaired. I've never seen a derailed train, but it must shake the cars up quite a bit.

But any car damaged enough to be totaled out will go to the crusher. No parts will be salvaged from these cars.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Advanced

...But any car damaged enough to be totaled out will go to the crusher. No parts will be salvaged from these cars.
Yes, I agree with that.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by domn
Old 03-26-2004, 05:34 PM
6MT Snob

Back to the TSB's real quick..

Those TSB's are just updates on the factory documentation, none of them are "this is how to fix this fucked up thing that WILL happen"

I am waiting for one that says "rattles, how to fucking fix"

Old 03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Toyota quality...???? I have a 93 4Runner, blown 2 tranny the first 3 years (mechanic suggested it was because I would not let the car warm up for 25 to 30 minutes when it was very cold outside !!!!?!?) blown 2 set of heads gaskets within the first 2 years, corroded brake lines after 6 years and a sleugh of other minor problems.

On the other hand I have a 91 Accord and other than changing oil and spark plugs very few problem. The ironny of it all is the 4Runner was assembled in Japan. Worst peice of sh....t I ever bought.

Honda beats Toyota hands down when it comes to quality...in my books anyway
Old 03-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

It's difficult to determine overall brand quality from "my experience" vs. "your experience" on a car by car basis. Look at how bitter crazytree is while the rest of us have a much better view of Honda/Acura.

Consumer Reports and JD Power suggest the odds that you are going to have a better quality car when you are looking at Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura than just about any other car.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

my favorite link . Honda and Toyota rock for quality, nuff said.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:23 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Well now that I have seen this thread, I can say that the cars that are within that range are not the ones that were on the train only. Apparently this is why I have not received my car and that I am still waiting 2 weeks + now.

My car is #26592 which has been in NJ, transported from Cali and assigned to my dealer since March 2nd and still has not been released. My dealer knows crap apparently because since the original delivery date of March 15, he has given me 4 other dates saying that the car is coming. (March 17, 20, 26, 27) Everytime one of the dates pass, he just says "yeah, I don't know why it didn't arrive today". He still insists that I will be getting it before the 31st, which is the end of March and the last day that I said I would wait for the car before I wanted a refund and would go to another dealership. I purchased it on Jan 20th and was promised a delivery date of March 3 but was later changed to the 15th.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by xizor
my favorite link . Honda and Toyota rock for quality, nuff said.
Good link. I'm surprised that there is such a difference between BMW and MB. Also what the hell is Caddy doing at the bottom. They're worse than VW! That's just sad.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Orangeblood

CRAAAAP

Mine's in the range. WTF? How long is this gonna take?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Photography Nerd

Mark it will just be a part of the PDI. Shouldn't affect delivery at all.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Orangeblood

Well that isnt the information I am getting.

Dammit focker.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Mark,

You've got mail.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by MarkPinTx
Well that isnt the information I am getting.

Dammit focker.
Well according to Colin's post it shouldn't be an issue.
No sure if I should post this now since I cannot do this annomously, but here goes:

Certain TSXs in your new car unsold inventory, as well as vehicles in-transit to your dealership between VIN JH4CL96***C025689 and VIN JH4CL96***C028611, are affected by this Special PDI Inspection. These vehicles CANNOT be sold or leased until they have been inspected.

Please note that this does not say they MUST be replaced. It simply says they MUST be inspected. Try not to get too excited people.
Who is telling you otherwise?

Quick Reply: New TSX's on hold for recall *Auto-Trans Issue*