New TSX's on hold for recall *Auto-Trans Issue*

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Orangeblood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I won't get into who is telling me what. But if a car in that VIN range has a tranny with a certain code (batch number I assume) then it's indefinite hold until Honda figures something out. Judging by how fast theyve reacted to the rattle and seat slide problems, looks like I'm going ahead with the PWP in mid April rather than the CG now.

Guess it's better than an exploding tranny, but kinda sux ass to get your hopes all up.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Damn, I've got two dealers trying to get me in a TSX and the delivery schedule just got pushed back another week for one dealer, the other hasn't seen a new TSX to the lot for over a week. Very curious if it's the effect of the derailment or if something is in fact going on. The VIN one dealer gave me started with JH4CL95....maybe not related to the hold?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

our car is in even more demand now. Glad the train derailed, now our car will stay exclusive
Old 03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Orangeblood

This is kind of givin me the creeps about this car.

First the rattles. Then the chips. Then the center console lights.

Now a recall/hold after a year of production.

WTF? I mean WTFF?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You're right Mark it's a garbage car. Run while you still can...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Orangeblood

Lookin for a little reassurance.

My last car I bought in first year of production and had one weird problem. It was frustrating for a couple of weeks, but it got fixed and it wasn't a systematic problem, but an intermittently shorting connector.

10 years old in September. Rear ended by a Caddy goin 45 while at a standstill 8 years ago. Rattle free to this day. And its a GM!

I have to say that I am a bit perplexed at the lack of answers or reassurance that Acura/Honda seems to give on things. Hell, make something up.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Hi all - I am new to this forum and just bought a CG automatic TSX yesterday, which is with in this identified VIN range. I was not aware of this issue before, and I am now wondering why I was allowed to buy this car. I got a very low price and now think that this is the reason. What would you do?

Thanks
David
Old 03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Orangeblood

Excellent question. I don't know. Noone seems to know what the problem is. As soon as I get some info, I'll post it.

My salesman was kind of embarrassed since he can't provide any details and apparently neither can service.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Photography Nerd

There was no recall. They haven't even mentioned what could possibly be wrong. It's just a notice sent to dealers to inspect something in the transmission before they sell the car. If everything is fine they can hand the keys to you. If you are worried about it, ask your dealer to confirm that they did the special PDI on your car.

It could be as simple as improper torque settings at the factory for installing a component. Nothing to be alarmed about. It wouldn't have anything to do with the deal you got. Congrats by the way.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the quick replies, I would not say that the dealer I dealt with was shady, quite the opposite, but he did try to say invoice was $800 over what was quoted on Edmunds, and I had to provide a print out of the Edmunds invoice to get the price which was original quoted. Is there any documentation I could ask to get copies of to ensure that my car was inspected? I get the feeling that if I ask if it was done, they will say yes, but might not even know what it is.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
10th Gear

I picked up my car on 3/4/04 my vin is in the range in question. Should I call my dealer?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well since this whole derailment and recal//PDI issues has come into play, my mind has been coming up with all these stories about why my car is not in my possession right now. (2 weeks late and counting)

I called Acura Corporate today and asked if there was a hold on the TSX. The rep. I spoke to said that there was a note on all TSX within a range, although he said he did not know the range or could not release it to me.

He did however say what the problem was. He told me that the wrong tranny case was put on for only the AT. All the cars in the range had to be inspected and the tranny case had to be swapped out. The current case that is on the car causes the tranny to leak. There is no turn around time for this, but he said something like this is relatively quick once they know the problem....within 1 week to repair once they get around to it, but when they get around to it is up to the dealer.

Hope this helps everyone.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by yomama
I certainly hope you posted that comment for the comic value.
If not, than you need to wake up. Your Acura will last longer than anything out there.

Nissan? You've got to be fucking kidding.
bwhahahha........seems you are the one that needs some waking up or keep smoking the powerful stuff you've been smoking.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Orangeblood

He told me that the wrong tranny case was put on for only the AT. All the cars in the range had to be inspected and the tranny case had to be swapped out. The current case that is on the car causes the tranny to leak.
Assuming that to be true, the question is, do I want to accept delivery of a vehicle that has had the tranny case swapped out? What do you guys think?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Well I do not know how severe a problem switching a transmission case is, but I really wish I would have like to have been told about this issue by my dealer. It not only decreases my confidence in them, but also this car. If I had known, I would have definitely waited to get a car not in the VIN range.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i guess the Japanese made TSX is still more reliable I think than any BMW, Mercedes, or Audi luxury cars am I right?
Audi sucks! Stay away like the plague.

BTW, I'm selling one. See my signature.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Photography Nerd

What difference does it make if the tranny case is swapped at the dealer? If anything more attention to detail will be spent at the dealer than in the factory.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Orangeblood

What difference does it make if the tranny case is swapped at the dealer? If anything more attention to detail will be spent at the dealer than in the factory.
To a certain extent, this is logical. However, anyone who has ever had anything repaired more than once at a dealership might differ. Another thing, I am sure it is easier to install a transmission on a bare(r) chassis than it is to drop one on a fully assembled vehicle. The margin for error seems troublesome.

Right or wrong, when one buys a new car, one is paying for "virginity." Such a vehicle would no longer be virgin. It seems a discount might be appropriate. If, so, how much?

Just seeking opinions.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Ah, you'll turn that virgin into a whore in no time!

I wouldn't worry about it but by all means ask for a different VIN.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Orangeblood

Talking

Ah, you'll turn that virgin into a whore in no time!

Virginity is probably an overrated concept in both cars and other applications.

The inhabitants of these fora seem to be a bit pickier than most, so I want to see what people think.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Old timer

Old 03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

There is a thread on this ... but I'm not sure if anyone has posted the notice in this much detail.

Actually I am going to merge the threads.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Teh ?

Couldn't help...

IBTL
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Cruisin'

I just spoke with the service department, and my car indeed has the RCL-2 transmission case; I will be going to pick up documention of this fact tonight. Maybe they have identified a region were these errors have occured, but it seems that not every car with in this VIN range was affected. If the car is released for sale it then it came correct from the factory.

Thanks to all the helped, I will be posting my purchase story shortly, I think it is a ringing endorsement for the TSX. Basically I could have gotten a MB C230K for 1% under invoice and then recieved the $1500 rebate or the new Volvo S40 for invoice, because of x plans, and I choose the TSX.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Orangeblood

Thanks much guys.

Now what should I ask for if mine is RCL-1? Cool jets? Or discount?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by MarkPinTx
...Now what should I ask for if mine is RCL-1? Cool jets? Or discount?
I'd wait for a different car if you have that option. If you need the car now..... (Edit: and from the "repair strategy" paragraph, it looks like they won't sell it to you now anyway...you'll have to wait either way).
Old 03-30-2004, 08:48 PM
bleh...

Originally posted by xizor
our car is in even more demand now. Glad the train derailed, now our car will stay exclusive
Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

note the use of smileys
Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Where do you guys get those great smielys?
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

JRock, why did you delete the post?

For those that missed it, the issue is that some AT TSX's were shipped with the wrong tranny case. If the tranny case is RCL-1, it will need to be fixed.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by NOAL
Where do you guys get those great smielys?
When you post a reply just click on [Get More]
Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: New TSX's on hold for recall?

Originally posted by cowboywoody
Well I've finally thrown my hat into the ring and started the process to get my TSX. I had agreed to a price over the phone with the internet manager at the dealer this afternoon ($27,500.00, 6mt w/ navi no extras)...
Wooah! Hold the horses! Isn't 27500 a bit HIGH for the 6MT NoNAVI? That's above MSRP. Or is 27500 the total out-the-door price?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

I recently (03/15/04) purchased a TSX 5AT in carbon gray pearl. The expected delivery date was 03/31/04. Before I could get the car I was informed there was a stop sale on a select few TSX's. My dealer is saying it's a casting problem with the transmission case. The mold was wrong. They are shipping a new transmission and changing it out. They have been very upfront and proactive about correcting the problem. Should get the car around Apr. 10-13th. I am concerned about them taking the tranny apart and putting it back together. Will things be like new after such major work? Should I be concerned? It's all covered by the warranty so I guess no worries. And if it goes in too many times for the same problem I can claim lemon right?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Advanced

What does VIns does this include. I got mine on Maarch 17th and its vin is 25147
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

DATE: March 26, 2004
TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: Special PDI Inspection and Stop Sale Order

Basic Problem: Some TSX vehicles may have an automatic transmission case that is out of specification.

Stop-Sale Order: Certain TSXs in your new car unsold inventory, as well as vehicles in-transit to your dealership between VIN JH4CL96***C025689 and VIN JH4CL96***C028611, are affected by this Special PDI Inspection. These vehicles CANNOT be sold or leased until they have been inspected.

Support Materials: On March 18th, American Honda posted on ISIS a Special PDI Instruction Sheet and an Affected VIN Matrix.

New Information: The matrix was updated today to reflect vehicles that were/are in-transit to your dealership and, therefore, must be inspected before retail sale. Please print out and fax the new matrix to American Honda AFTER you have transferred the inspection results from the first matrix, plus the inspection results of the additional vehicles that you have inspected.

We need your updated inspection information so that we can accurately predict the quantity of required repair parts.

NOTE: On ISIS, Look under “What’s New” then “Job Aids” then “PDI Transmission Case Inspection Instructions” and “PDI Transmission Case Inspection VIN Inquiry.”

Parts: No parts are needed for the inspection.

Repair Strategy: If the transmission case number is RCL-1, the vehicle cannot be sold. The supply of parts to repair vehicles with the RCL-1 case is still being finalized. We expect to have more information early next week. If the transmission case number is RCL-2, the vehicle can be returned to an “Available for Sale Status.”

Customer Notification: You will be notified about customer handling for any vehicle that was sold at retail.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Cruisin'

I guess for those of us getting the new tranny installed, we can advertise "partially assembled in USA". Should help the resale value.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

Re: Re: New TSX's on hold for recall?

Originally posted by Brad
Wooah! Hold the horses! Isn't 27500 a bit HIGH for the 6MT NoNAVI? That's above MSRP. Or is 27500 the total out-the-door price?
It was $27,500.00 plus tax, license, etc. for a 6mt with (w/) Navi. Seemed rather fair from what I've of seen others on this board have paid. He's placed a order for one since there are'nt may around in the color I want (PWP). When we agreed upon the price on the 24th there were only 3 available in the whole state of California!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: New TSX's on hold for recall?

Originally posted by cowboywoody
It was $27,500.00 plus tax, license, etc. for a 6mt with (w/) Navi. Seemed rather fair from what I've of seen others on this board have paid. He's placed a order for one since there are'nt may around in the color I want (PWP). When we agreed upon the price on the 24th there were only 3 available in the whole state of California!
My error. For some reason, I had mis-read no-Navi into your message. Sorry! Good deal. Have fun!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Advanced

This whole thread has me on hold. I have found the CG/Quartz non-navi I want yet it is in the indicated vin range. The sales guy told me that this car is not impacted and cleared for sale. However, based on my experience trying to buy this car with other sales guys I dont know what to believe. Combine that with the 2001 Accord EX we have with an auto trans issue that resulted our original tranny getting replaced (thankfully under warranty) and I am scared to buy it now. I am very cautious I know but buying a first year model with this type of thing just scares me. Am I being ridiculous?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Instructor

I would say you might be pushing it. They found out the problem and now they're fixing it. Having not been an Acura owner before I'm already more impressed with their quality of service than I'm used too and I don't even have the car yet. You've got a car that's based on some good solid engineering designs that have been tried and tested in other models. And face it, all cars have problems, new and old models. It's all relative. How much more comfortable would you be with another manufacturer remedying a similar problem?

Quick Reply: New TSX's on hold for recall *Auto-Trans Issue*