New Radiator, no heat, overheating, air bubbles maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021 | 10:23 PM
1st Gear

New Radiator, no heat, overheating, air bubbles maybe?

Hello Everyone, new to the forums here. My Fiance's 04 Auto TSX's radiator was having the classic seeping between the plastic and the aluminum. Ordered a Denso one and had the job complete in about 45 minutes. This is where I am stumped, I bled the system (I think) but heat never came out of the heater and the car temp started quickly creeping up. I have changed several radiators in BMWs over the years, Mazdas and stuff, and this is the first time I have been this stumped. The cap was left open while watching it bubble and such and I know there is flow as it started to steam and the level kept dropping as bubbled started to pop out like a jacuzzi. Definitely getting air out but not even the smallest bit of heat. Put the cap back on, drove it around her family's property and the temp started creeping up quickly so shut it down, popped the hood, and it is just steaming, I am thinking it is just spilled coolant from the bleed procedure burning off, have seen that several times before. I am just confused on the heat/overheating situation. Any pointers? Heat worked fine literally last night in it. Also, the fans were not coming on either during these sessions, did not check it with the A/C on. Going back there tomorrow with my pressure tester to make sure I took care of all possible leaks. I am thinking just trapped air maybe making the temp on the gauge creep up. I know the temp switch for the fans is in the radiators like my E36 BMWs are, but no dice.