New car question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:41 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car question...

Hey people, I'm new here, anyway.. in a couple weeks there's gonna be a new CG TSX in the family.. but I was wondering if you guys would have any advice on what a good car for myself would be (I'm 16, love driving a stick). I'm looking for something fun, open to modification, and not too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:50 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

Are you looking for something new or used?? If you want something cheap that i think you would probably have fun in would be the new Scion TC or the Mazda3, they have really good prices and I think that the market is gonna explode with mods soon enough. Granted they will be no TSX, but I am sure you will have a good time with them.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 AM
101 years of heartache...

welcome aboard.

In my case my mom let me pick a car that fit the budget for me to drive when I turn 18. I'm nearing my 17th birthday, so I'll get the TSX in about a year. That would be my choice.

However, like all of my friends, you are looking for a car NOW. I myself have given it much thought. It all depends on the budget. If it does work out, I would die for an RSX-S with an Integra-R JDM conversion . Keep in mind the new tC, Civic-R, Mazda 3 as well.

If you're going for used, my pick would be an Integra (Type-R if at all possible). Cheap, sporty, open for modding. But hey, if you can find a steal for the price (as in the case of my friend who found a '90 300zx N/A for under 5k ), go for that. If you can give your tastes/exact needs/budget, then maybe we can be more specific. Good luck either way. Remember, modding is good. But too much = .
Old 07-31-2004, 02:14 AM
04 remembrance

Civic, Scion, or the Mazda 3.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If you can afford it, go for the TSX for sure!!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice... I would love to find a used Teg type - R but I havent seen any at all here around the midwest.. what about a 2001 Prelude?? yay or nay?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:41 AM
04 remembrance

Yay.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Mmmm... tasty.

Yeah, since you're young, getting something like a used prelude would be a perfect idea. It'll save you spending money and money on your insurance. Later on, after driving a while, you'll figure out *exactly* what you're looking for in a car. THEN, pick exactly what you want in a nice new car.

Anyway.. good luck on your choice. If you're looking for new... Scion TC, Mazda 3, or Civic... just like everyone else said.

My $0.02.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks a lot for the advice... goin to look at a black 2001 prelude type SH (6-speed VTEC) in a couple days.

You guys are awesome + quick to respond.. I like this forum already
Old 08-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Instructor

I for one, am pissed at the prevalance of the TSX among the "my mommy and daddy will buy me anything I want" crowd. Anyone else with me on this (if not, I'll gladly leave the forum)?? I selected the TSX after much thought to brand realiability, perfomance, features and comfort. I didn't buy it because it could be modded, or because it looked hotter than hell (okay, so I fibbed on that last one). However, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I bought a car that I'll enjoy for years (even though I don't have to make payments on it) because I made wise investments, and not because my mummy and daddy did all that for me. I guess I'll just have to go more upscale next time to be assured of a suitable buffer-zone between me (a hard worker) and thee (a lucky SOB). I hope I see your rice'd out ride on the road someday, and you'll realize that I'm so much luckier than you (if only because I earned what I'm driving...)

For all you 16 year olds out there, what ever happend to buying a beater, and fixing it up? Christ, why not get a Neon? If all you care about is mods, nothing is proven more mod-availble than the Neon...plus, for only $9k...how could you go wrong?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
soopir, nothing wrong with a 16 yr-old kid getting a TSX. If he can get it from his parents, he is just very lucky, and that's good for him.

What is wrong with the way you see it, is that for you, the TSX is the symbol of a status, a sort of statement about your achievements. If that is so, then you're alway bound to have someone make a louder statement than you and you'll live a very frustrating life knowing that others have it easier, luckier, better than you.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Sauce- I guess you're right...just simple jealousy, really. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Racer

yeah, you need to chill. ive known 14 year old getting an Audi S4. i've also known a 16 year old pay half of a brand new a4, from his own money. there are people out there who are more... richer. i have a friend who got an E55, 20 years old, and his younger bro got a Skyline. not everyone lives equally. there are people who cant even afford a beat car to drive. be happy dood.
sorry, i just hate people wine and complain about things like this.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:35 PM
6 speed yo!

ya i pay my tsx insurance and car payment...$500/month work full time and go to school and i just turned 17 so it doesn't matter how old you are
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sooner
Hey people, I'm new here, anyway.. in a couple weeks there's gonna be a new CG TSX in the family.. but I was wondering if you guys would have any advice on what a good car for myself would be (I'm 16, love driving a stick). I'm looking for something fun, open to modification, and not too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Whatever you get ought to be a "throwaway car", because in a few years, your tastes and needs will change, and if you have some dreamboat car, then you're stuck with the committment to love it till death do you part - which, unless your parents are really really rich, is what they will expect if you get something expensive.

My stepson went to an urban private day school where some kids arrived via subway from North Philly and others were dropped off by the family's chauffeur. We sent him off to college in my wife's old Toyota Corona, which he traded for a Saab with terminal body rust, then traded for a used Toyota Camry, then a "slightly used" Saab droptop, then a Toyota Tundra awd. He's had a chance to grow into and out of a bunch of cars, and now knows what he likes . The truck is a "keeper" for him; if we had gotten him his dream car at 17, he would not have had the opportunity to screw around with a bunch of different sheetmetal for the first ten years of his driving life. (and we liked "taking care" of the droptop when he was out of town.....).
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 PM
6 speed yo!

[QUOTE=ric]Whatever you get ought to be a "throwaway car", because in a few years, your tastes and needs will change, and if you have some dreamboat car, then you're stuck with the committment to love it till death do you part - which, unless your parents are really really rich, is what they will expect if you get something expensive. [QUOTE]

ya this is my 3rd car. my last car (integra) was an LS and i played with it for over a year and made it into a type r except for the 5 lug and engine haha but i put a lot of money into that car and liked it and found what kind of cars i liked. i had to drive my parents 2001 frontier until i got my tsx. i hated it, i hated being so high. my integra was slammed so much that everytime i turned it scraped the fenders and i luved it. It fit me and what i liked. i luv the looks and how people say its a nice car and its only worth like $4k. people buy $20k Hyandai's but don't say how nice they are. its about personal preferance. My dream car was an Explorer and now i ride in them and its a POS. don't ask bout my first car (2000 VW Bug) long story short, mom got a new car, gave me her old car. it was nice for a couple months (3 exactly) then came the teg. i think your post ( ric ) is true and ive learned and went through that process even though im still young