New 2008 Owner - Advice or Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2008 Owner - Advice or Tips?

As of Saturday, I am the proud owner of a 2008 TSX. I went for the automatic w/ Navi package in Carbon Gray with Ebony interior, which my dealer had to locate and make a swap for.

So far I love the car. I can't say the Nav is quite as user friendly as everything I've read. I have used portable Garmin units before, so I guess this will just take a little getting used to.

I wanted to ask advice of other TSX owners if there was anything I should be aware of. Little tricks or tips you've figured out about your TSX in the past. I don't want to be that guy who uses it for 2 years and then realizes you can search for a location by entering the phone number! Fill me in!

I look forward to participating in the Acurazine community.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! Try searching for the easter egg thread.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Racer

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
2008 Acura TSX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by teddyoh
As of Saturday, I am the proud owner of a 2008 TSX. I went for the automatic w/ Navi package in Carbon Gray with Ebony interior, which my dealer had to locate and make a swap for.

So far I love the car. I can't say the Nav is quite as user friendly as everything I've read. I have used portable Garmin units before, so I guess this will just take a little getting used to.

I wanted to ask advice of other TSX owners if there was anything I should be aware of. Little tricks or tips you've figured out about your TSX in the past. I don't want to be that guy who uses it for 2 years and then realizes you can search for a location by entering the phone number! Fill me in!

I look forward to participating in the Acurazine community.

I just picked up my NBP on the 4th
Just subscribing to this thread in case someone drops some good advice.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
congratulations-i do not have it but others recommend the clear bra as the tsx gets road chips easily. love mine-still learning the nav- a little at a time.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Yeah, theres a thread somewhere about these things. But one thing you can't miss out on is the auto window roll down and window roll up. Pressing the unlock button on the remote twice and then holding down after the second press rolls down the windows until you let go, and if you put the key in the driver's side door and turn counter clockwise twice, holding the second time, the windows will roll up until you let go.

This is no secret but it's something you might not think to look for. The info is also in the little quick reference that comes with the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Read the manual. No, read themanual. The quick start guide (if they still provide that) is handy to get off the lot, but if you make a point of reading the manual for a week or two (good bathroom, erm, brain break reading), you'll learn all kinds of stuff you wouldn't discover by accident for months, or years.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Oh-- I totally second reading the manual!! I've only had mine a month, but I found myself calling my boyfriend randomly to tell him something else my car would do. I was telling my mom stuff, and she realized there some of it her car will do that she didn't know about! AND, she mentioned the auto-relock thing to a friend of hers, who said she was going to tell her daughter about it as her daughter always thinks she's losing her mind when she goes to get in her car & it's locked, even though she unlocked it.

I just couldn't *not* read it... It's an entirely new machine from what I've ever had, so I wanted to know everything about it! Though I know I also saw something in there about a limited slip.... and that can't be right...
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM
2008 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Read the manual. No, read themanual. The quick start guide (if they still provide that) is handy to get off the lot, but if you make a point of reading the manual for a week or two (good bathroom, erm, brain break reading), you'll learn all kinds of stuff you wouldn't discover by accident for months, or years.
Yeah I been studying the manual for some time now. I see you are from Durham, I am currently living there. Where did you get your Acura?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Poser / Fanboi

RTFM is really good advice. I read it before I knew this forum existed... after I found this place I was cruising the Easter Egg thread and came across a couple (like the auto window down) that I already knew, because I RTFM...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
Oh-- I totally second reading the manual!! I've only had mine a month, but I found myself calling my boyfriend randomly to tell him something else my car would do.
I can imagine...! I know the Quick Start manual (damn, that little plastic coated "Bernie book"[1] is a great idea) covers it, but plowing through the 20-30 pages for the driver customization settings, you get to see just how many of the amenities (like auto lock, headlights cancel, interior lights fadeout) are adjustable to your preference. It's amazing....

[1]Bernie book is a nickname for the small, durable, plastic-page protected book of emergency procedures and checklists that pilots carry. Much of the contents were memorized, but carried for quick reference in an pinch.

Originally Posted by HondaAcura83
I see you are from Durham,...
I bought my certified pre-owned from Performance Acura in CH, from Todd and David. Nice dealership, we had a glitch on the deal, but the pre-owned mgr swept that aside double-quick. Good people, I think. I'd recommend them. And they sell Bimmers and Porsches there, so someone could test drive one of each and make a sound judgement.

If someone here chimes in and says, "Wait, did you buy the March 2006 TSX with 34.5K ODO,... that was mine," I will @*%^ a brick. Really.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
2008 Acura TSX

I bought my certified pre-owned from Performance Acura in CH, from Todd and David. Nice dealership, we had a glitch on the deal, but the pre-owned mgr swept that aside double-quick. Good people, I think. I'd recommend them. And they sell Bimmers and Porsches there, so someone could test drive one of each and make a sound judgement.

If someone here chimes in and says, "Wait, did you buy the March 2006 TSX with 34.5K ODO,... that was mine," I will @*%^ a brick. Really.
Yeah I bought my 08 from Performance. Good place, wish I could have gotten the price down some more, but overrall great customer service. Michael Barr helped me out, great person to talk to while I was waiting. See ya on I-40 lol.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Have camera, will travel

Tip: Take it easy for 600 miles then have fun! Congrats on the car and welcome to Acurazine.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah I bought my 08 from Performance. Good place, wish I could have gotten the price down some more, but overrall great customer service. Michael Barr helped me out, great person to talk to while I was waiting. See ya on I-40 lol.
Did you buy a silver TSX recently? I saw one with temp tags driving by me on 40 one morning,.... I also saw a carbon grey model, and wondered, Hm, wonder if that's the 2005 model from Carmax that I test drove, or the one at that Toyota dealership that I passed up on.

Mine is recognizable. Chrome-metal lic. plate frame. Honk if you see me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
2008 Acura TSX

Did you buy a silver TSX recently? I saw one with temp tags driving by me on 40 one morning,.... I also saw a carbon grey model, and wondered, Hm, wonder if that's the 2005 model from Carmax that I test drove, or the one at that Toyota dealership that I passed up on.

Mine is recognizable. Chrome-metal lic. plate frame. Honk if you see me.

Naw I have the NightHawk Black with temp tags
I always honk at TSXs, even before I had one lol.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Here's the Easter Egg thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939

Welcome to AZ!!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Best "new to TSX" advice you can get is posted above:

1. Be easy on it for the first 600 miles, this is manufacturer's recommended break in. Do not drive in cruise control, and vary the RPMs intentionally (working the sport shifter if you like) but do not redline it, or spend much time above 6000 RPMs.

2. Read the manual. All of it. You'll love yourself for it and you'll be amazed at all the questions asked that you know the answer to... just because you read the manual and other people didn't.

Welcome to Acurazine, glad to have all of ya'll here, and enjoy your stay!

Don't forget to use our search feature to find all kinds of great info!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
2008 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by Reach
Best "new to TSX" advice you can get is posted above:

1. Be easy on it for the first 600 miles, this is manufacturer's recommended break in. Do not drive in cruise control, and vary the RPMs intentionally (working the sport shifter if you like) but do not redline it, or spend much time above 6000 RPMs.

2. Read the manual. All of it. You'll love yourself for it and you'll be amazed at all the questions asked that you know the answer to... just because you read the manual and other people didn't.

Welcome to Acurazine, glad to have all of ya'll here, and enjoy your stay!

Don't forget to use our search feature to find all kinds of great info!
Didn't know about cruise control, glad I only used it a few times. Maybe I didn't see that in the book :-\ Thanks.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Yeah, in case it wasn't said bluntly for the OP, read the Breaking in section of the manual first. You're not going to ruin the car if you don't, but treating it with TLC will earn its long-lasting loyalty. (Say that 5ive times fast.)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Do you mind telling me what you paid for the 08 TSX and all the details like money down, APR and incentives? I am looking to get one this month and I need ammo to get a good deal. I am probably going to lease a TSX instead of financing just in case after 3 years i hate the car.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
Though I know I also saw something in there about a limited slip.... and that can't be right...
Yeah, everyone here on AZ has read that part of the manual...we figure Acura just copy and pasted for the TSX manual and forgot to edit that part out.

As for tips...the car is a computer on wheels. There are tons of stuff to learn about. There's a switch in the glove compartment that can disable the trunk release (basically you flip the switch and lock the glove compartment if you're going to use valet), there's an aux port for a mp3 player in the center console, the center console pulls forward for your convenience, your navi system will accept a back-up camera (requires very slight hacking on your part) since the 06+ navi system is the same as the MDX, the door sills are actually silver but most dealers don't pull off the blue protection covering, the homelink remote works even if the car is off (don't program your garage if you don't park in there...someone can just break the window, reach in, and open your garage), the microphone is in the roof area just above the rear-view mirror (talk towards it if the navi can't understand you), there's a blue ambient light by the microphone which shines on your gear knob at night, get ceramic or dyed tint for the rear windshield if you have navi (the antenna is below the rear shelf...metallic tint can reflect the satellite signals away from the antenna), and lastly...ask your navi "find blow job" for the location of the nearest hotel room (works for everyone but me...my navi always sends me to the closest courthouse).
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sluday
Do you mind telling me what you paid for the 08 TSX and all the details like money down, APR and incentives? I am looking to get one this month and I need ammo to get a good deal. I am probably going to lease a TSX instead of financing just in case after 3 years i hate the car.
$420/mm loaded nothing down except title dmv etc.

$800 to add backup camera and DVD
Old 11-04-2007, 12:54 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A CD Player Tip: (that might not be obvious)

If you press and hold the LOAD button to load CD's until it beeps it will keep accepting CD's until it runs out of space. The same is true with the eject button, if you press and hold it the CD player will eject all discs one after the other (after you remove each one of course).
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 AM

^ You can also eject a cd (or CDs) if you press the EJECT button even with the audio and ignition off. (Owner's Manual, p. 192)
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Best tip you will get besides the obvious "read the manual" and "break it in for 600 miles" is GET A CLEAR BRA!!!