New 07 TSX Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 07 TSX Owner...

I purchased an 07 TSX, CGP/Quartz, 6M/Navi this week. It's basically a "gap-filler" car, since what I really wanted was a 335. With the fuel pump issues, I was unwilling to plunk down 50k for a car that stood a decent chance of being laid up for a month waiting on a fuel pump replacement. I intend to wait till BMW gets those issues fixed, which may be well into the 08 model year.

In any event, my initial impressions of the TSX:
  • Very fun car to drive despite its modest of straight line acceleration.
  • Shifter is like buuuutttteeeerrr. By far the best shifter I've ever driven. Why anyone would buy this car with a slushbox is beyond me. It almost shifts itself.
  • Only time when lack of power bothers me is when passing on 2 lane roads. I'm used to driving CL Type S & G35 Coupe with 6M. You really have to be more careful passing in the TSX. Other than that, the engine is a gem - smooth, linear torque, refined (no NVH) with a nice exhaust note.
  • Ergonomics, interior quality and refinement (except for plaluminum) are outstanding for a 28k car.
  • Navi is the best I've seen. Resolution is very good and GUI graphics are very well done.
  • CGP is a very neutral yet classy looking color. Very similar to sparkling graphite on BMWs.
  • Gas mileage so far is ranging between 19 mpg and 31 mpg...much better than both the CL-S & G35.
Some thing I would change in the next TSX if I could:
  • Offer sport seats with adjustable side bolsters and thigh supports. The seats are OK, but not as good as those in the CL-S, which really wrap around you. They're not even in the same league as the sport seats in the 3 series.
  • Offer some more options for interior colors. A 2 tone red/black interior would kick major arse with CGP, NBP, & SSM exteriors and look very sporty.
  • Make keyless, push button ignition standard.
  • Offer a USB and i-POD interface (not the cheesy-ass headphone style aux jack) and/or an embedded hard disk. It's not that expensive.
  • Make it RWD (not AWD, too heavy)
  • Either turbocharge the existing engine or put in a small 6. I don't care if it makes the car a little heavier, it needs some balls to compete with the 328, G35/37, GTI, A3/4, etc.
  • Offer a sport handling package for $1k but without all the boy-racer add-ons.
  • Offer some real wood or polished aluminum trim
I would gladly pay 35-37k for the above car with 260-280 HP, 240 ft-lbs tq, and the above options weighing about 3400 lbs.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by russ_777
Why anyone would buy this car with a slushbox is beyond me.
Soooo agreed!

plaluminum
Never heard that one before....
I was looking into a previous gen Grand Cherokee just yesterday, and it's aluminum pieces (mind you, not so much the rest of the dashboard) are gorgeous!
Heck even the Versa's plalumimum (hee, hee...that word is awesome!) seems more convincing than the TSX's.

35-37k for the above car with 260-280 HP, 240 ft-lbs tq, and the above options weighing about 3400 lbs.
But then there'd be nothing in Acura's lineup in the high $20's/low 30's. Doesn't the TL already fit that description pretty much to a T (other than RWD, small V6, and keyless ignition? Acura couldn't have two cars so similar in specs and price. You couldn't sell two different cars based solely on RWD vs FWD, most customers probably wouldn't know the difference. Sure Lexus gets away with having both the ES and the IS, but the differences between the two cars (with the ES being such a marshmallow geezer's car) is much greater than the differences between the TL and TSX.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
But then there'd be nothing in Acura's lineup in the high $20's/low 30's. Doesn't the TL already fit that description pretty much to a T (other than RWD, small V6, and keyless ignition? Acura couldn't have two cars so similar in specs and price. You couldn't sell two different cars based solely on RWD vs FWD, most customers probably wouldn't know the difference. Sure Lexus gets away with having both the ES and the IS, but the differences between the two cars (with the ES being such a marshmallow geezer's car) is much greater than the differences between the TL and TSX.
Good point, but I don't see any way Acura could provide a car that I described significantly below 35k. I don't think the TL would be the answer in its current configuration because it's just too heavy. I think the basic issue is Acura's entire line is priced under their competition's comparable cars. On one hand that may explain why the TL sells as well as it does, but on the other hand, that strategy obviously doesn't work for the RL.

My recommendation would be to make the change to a RWD chassis across the line and offer a detuned small V6 (3.0L) or an improved version of the current 2.4L I-4 in the TSX, with a TSX-S having either a tuned version of the same V-6 or turbo version of the I-4 with a handling package, sport seats and sportier interior trim for about 35k. Sure that's going to be over or near the base TL, but the base TL is targeted at a completely different market - generally older people who are looking for elegant design and comfort, not razor's edge performance like a TSX-S would have. Actually I kind of like the idea of a turbo version of the I-4 since that would be a tuner's wet dream and would minimize weight.

Any way you slice it I can't get over how good the TSX could be if Acura really wanted to go after the 3 series market. I also think Acura knows how to do that for a few $k less than what the equivalent 3 series sells for.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I purchased an 07 TSX, CGP/Quartz, 6M/Navi this week. It's basically a "gap-filler" car, since what I really wanted was a 335. With the fuel pump issues, I was unwilling to plunk down 50k for a car that stood a decent chance of being laid up for a month waiting on a fuel pump replacement. I intend to wait till BMW gets those issues fixed, which may be well into the 08 model year.

In any event, my initial impressions of the TSX:
  • Very fun car to drive despite its modest of straight line acceleration.
  • Shifter is like buuuutttteeeerrr. By far the best shifter I've ever driven. Why anyone would buy this car with a slushbox is beyond me. It almost shifts itself.
  • Only time when lack of power bothers me is when passing on 2 lane roads. I'm used to driving CL Type S & G35 Coupe with 6M. You really have to be more careful passing in the TSX. Other than that, the engine is a gem - smooth, linear torque, refined (no NVH) with a nice exhaust note.
  • Ergonomics, interior quality and refinement (except for plaluminum) are outstanding for a 28k car.
  • Navi is the best I've seen. Resolution is very good and GUI graphics are very well done.
  • CGP is a very neutral yet classy looking color. Very similar to sparkling graphite on BMWs.
  • Gas mileage so far is ranging between 19 mpg and 31 mpg...much better than both the CL-S & G35.
Some thing I would change in the next TSX if I could:
  • Offer sport seats with adjustable side bolsters and thigh supports. The seats are OK, but not as good as those in the CL-S, which really wrap around you. They're not even in the same league as the sport seats in the 3 series.
  • Offer some more options for interior colors. A 2 tone red/black interior would kick major arse with CGP, NBP, & SSM exteriors and look very sporty.
  • Make keyless, push button ignition standard.
  • Offer a USB and i-POD interface (not the cheesy-ass headphone style aux jack) and/or an embedded hard disk. It's not that expensive.
  • Make it RWD (not AWD, too heavy)
  • Either turbocharge the existing engine or put in a small 6. I don't care if it makes the car a little heavier, it needs some balls to compete with the 328, G35/37, GTI, A3/4, etc.
  • Offer a sport handling package for $1k but without all the boy-racer add-ons.
  • Offer some real wood or polished aluminum trim
I would gladly pay 35-37k for the above car with 260-280 HP, 240 ft-lbs tq, and the above options weighing about 3400 lbs.
with all your changes why have a tsx-get something else. I love my tsx just the way it is- as far as keyless push button ignition standard would not be a very good idea on manual transmission cars. I donot have that luxury of have that kind of extra money either.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
....[*]Shifter is like buuuutttteeeerrr. By far the best shifter I've ever driven. Why anyone would buy this car with a slushbox is beyond me. It almost shifts itself.
Because the AT does shift itself?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
lololololol!!!!!!!!!

Great answer.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

...Only time when lack of power bothers me is when passing on 2 lane roads. I'm used to driving CL Type S & G35 Coupe with 6M. You really have to be more careful passing in the TSX....
Well, you do have a choice of 4 possible passing gears.

I'd think 5th is fine for a leisurely pass, but heck, even 3rd gear is an option almost anytime you'd be passing on a 2 lane road.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced

[/list]I would gladly pay 35-37k for the above car with 260-280 HP, 240 ft-lbs tq, and the above options weighing about 3400 lbs.[/QUOTE]

Y didnt you buy a tl? or tl type s?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlukja
Good one!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fatalilluzionz
[/list]I would gladly pay 35-37k for the above car with 260-280 HP, 240 ft-lbs tq, and the above options weighing about 3400 lbs

Y didnt you buy a tl? or tl type s?
Because of the 247 other things I listed in the post that I like about the TSX.

Also, my wife has a TL and the Type S is a 3800 lb ricer IMO....that's Y.