Negotiations for a TSX in Toronto, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiations for a TSX in Toronto, Canada

I was originally looking at an RSX Type-S since I'm used to driving a compact sports coupe. Then I drove the TSX and changed my mind. Although it's not as fast as the RSX, for $3400CDN more, it's worth the price to compromise on the speed, and get the luxury sports sedan (TSX).

Now the question is how much to offer for that car? One dealer already told me they'd give me a price $500 above cost, which works out to be $32,516 (before anything - freight/PDI, taxes, etc ... ) Is that a good deal??? Also, what should I get thrown in ... would they through in rust proofing. How do I get a discount on an extended warranty too?

Any suggestions on which dealers to avoid or not to avoid?

Looking to start up a thread about pricing (once again) in Canadian funds. Also, if anyone has any comments about the car (good or bad) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Check out Acura 2000, in Brampton.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Banned

Thats the dealer that I got that price from ... I like them out at Acura2000, it's just that they are 45 mins from my house and not sure if saving a few hundred is worth going to get my car serviced so far from my house!?!?!?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Instructor

You don't have to get the car serviced at the same place you bought it from. But you could always try to get a local dealer to match the best price you find.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

I know I could get the local dealer to service my car if I don't buy it there. However I am dealing with the local dealer right now and if they don't give me the best price, I'd look like a fool walking in there to service my vehicle that I didn't buy there because they didn't give me the best price. Who knows ... I guess what I am going to do is be up front with both places and tell them that I am price shopping between the 2 dealers and see which one can give me the best deal!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Preppyg
I know I could get the local dealer to service my car if I don't buy it there. However I am dealing with the local dealer right now and if they don't give me the best price, I'd look like a fool walking in there to service my vehicle that I didn't buy there because they didn't give me the best price. Who knows ... I guess what I am going to do is be up front with both places and tell them that I am price shopping between the 2 dealers and see which one can give me the best deal!
You're not dealing with the sales guys when you do your service! I don't even know if they check where you bought your car. The sales and service guys are in different departments.

I was thinking about that too, because I want to be sure I get a loaner car when I come in for service, but Acura clearly wants every dealership to service any of their customers.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Preppyg
I was originally looking at an RSX Type-S since I'm used to driving a compact sports coupe. Then I drove the TSX and changed my mind. Although it's not as fast as the RSX, for $3400CDN more, it's worth the price to compromise on the speed, and get the luxury sports sedan (TSX).

Now the question is how much to offer for that car? One dealer already told me they'd give me a price $500 above cost, which works out to be $32,516 (before anything - freight/PDI, taxes, etc ... ) Is that a good deal??? Also, what should I get thrown in ... would they through in rust proofing. How do I get a discount on an extended warranty too?

Any suggestions on which dealers to avoid or not to avoid?

Looking to start up a thread about pricing (once again) in Canadian funds. Also, if anyone has any comments about the car (good or bad) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Do you know for a fact that the dealer cost is $32,000?? I was pay a fee at one of those sites like the Automobile Protection Association to find out the dealer cost, but maybe I don't need to anymore?

I was also thinking of going through one of those places to get their pre-negotiated price from a dealer. Problem is, I'm also doing a trade-in so I don't know what kind of deal I would get for that... Maybe I'll still need to do some negotiating.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:48 PM
such a dirty birdy

Yes, $32,016 is dealer invoice cost according to APA. The best thing to do when negotiating for the price is to list all the stuff you want (including an ext. warr. if you want one) and negotiate only on the final price "out the door" with all taxes and fees included. That way, there's no opportunity for you to be stung with additional "doc fees" and such later on. It's usually better to settle on a price for the new car before negotiating for your trade, but you can also negotiate simply on the difference amount (again, on an out-the-door basis) if you're sure of what your trade is worth.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

we talking USA cash? 32000?

cant be....

dealer invoice in the USA is 24692
Old 07-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Banned

Well I think I just sold my car privately so there will be no trade-in. I'm thinking of starting off the bidding at $38,000 and see what happens (I want the extended warranty plus rust proofing). Any thoughts???

Do any of you have suggestions on whether or not to get rust proofing done. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance ...
Old 07-11-2004, 10:53 PM
such a dirty birdy

bgillette, no we're talking Canuck bucks.

Preppyg, if you want rust proofing, you're probably better to get it done yourself after the purchase. Whatever the dealer wants to sell you is almost certainly junk and not worth it even if it's free. The APA strongly recommends Krown Rust Control (http://www.krown.com/)
Old 07-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bgillette
we talking USA cash? 32000?

cant be....

dealer invoice in the USA is 24692
Title of thread: Negotiations for a TSX in Toronto, Canada

Old 07-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Instructor

HEHEHE, man i just won't even start with those jokes...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:33 AM
4th Gear

How to decipher VIN#?

I am considering getting the TSX and read lots of feedbacks on this forum. I have heard many stories about the rattles and would like to get a car that is manufactured recently.

How do we know when the car is roll out the assembly line? I read some posts indicating that the VIN # could provide that information. Does anyone know how to decipher the VIN?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blouie
I am considering getting the TSX and read lots of feedbacks on this forum. I have heard many stories about the rattles and would like to get a car that is manufactured recently.

How do we know when the car is roll out the assembly line? I read some posts indicating that the VIN # could provide that information. Does anyone know how to decipher the VIN?

Thanks in advance.
The last 6 digits are the sequence number. Canadian models start from 800000, US models start from 000000.

But the easiest way to determine build date is just to look at the sticker on the door jamb - it will state the month and year of assembly.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the suggestions ... Keep them coming please!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Preppy, if you haven't seen it already, you might want to take a look at this thread here: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11993

Good luck with the buy.