Need your opinion on my situation! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your opinion on my situation! Please!

Okay, It's official, the Air Force told me wrong about the orders when I thought I was going to Japan, but I'm not, I'm going to Mildenhall AFB in England. I report October 2004. My wife really wants me to bring it but she's pretty much just pissing me off right now. I'm thinking I keep it till I'm about to leave and sell it, I will owe about 23,000$ on it by then I should be able to easily sell it. I can go there and by a car on base for 2 or 3 thousand and save 540$ a month and put it towards debt. Also, the NAVI probably won't even work over there.. I need ya'lls help, what do ya'll think!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Über Geek

So "it" must be your TSX?

Don't bring it. Seems like a huge hassle to transport there. Even bigger to drive--lefthand vs. righthand and all.

Plus debt is a financial cancer. Avoid the inevitable chemo and pay it down while in the UK.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need your opinion on my situation! Please!

Originally posted by rb4580
Okay, It's official, the Air Force told me wrong about the orders when I thought I was going to Japan, but I'm not, I'm going to Mildenhall AFB in England. I report October 2004. My wife really wants me to bring it but she's pretty much just pissing me off right now. I'm thinking I keep it till I'm about to leave and sell it, I will owe about 23,000$ on it by then I should be able to easily sell it. I can go there and by a car on base for 2 or 3 thousand and save 540$ a month and put it towards debt. Also, the NAVI probably won't even work over there.. I need ya'lls help, what do ya'll think!
I think bringing your car there would be silly.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Well the Air Force ships it for free and all that but I still don't think it's smart when I could buy something used with cash and save all that money.....
Old 09-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by rb4580
Well the Air Force ships it for free and all that but I still don't think it's smart when I could buy something used with cash and save all that money.....
If you are so concerned about saving money, you should not have bought it in the 1st place.

Used cars are sold in the US as well the last time I checked.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

I was stationed in Mildenhall about 4 years ago. Some people bring US cars there, but I found it a lot easier driving a British car. You can get cheap used cars on base. If it was me, I'd buy a used British car on base and then when you are ready to move back to the states look for a good price through AAFES. By the way, what do you do and which unit will you be with? You can pm me if you want more information on Mildenhall.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Need your opinion on my situation! Please!

Originally posted by fdl
I think bringing your car there would be silly.
I gotta' agree. I love the car but that would be a pain in the arse.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro

Either way, it's going to cost you money. If you're going to keep the car, bring the car because it's useless just sitting at home with no one using it and on top of that, if you want a car where you're going to be, you're going to need to pay for that too.

Selling the car is an option. You said you would owe 23,000 on the car by the time you could sell it. So, I'm thinking you could sell it for 19 or 20? (Possibly lower) You're going to have to pay the gap and just break even, but lose all the payments you've been paying on it since you bought it.

Looks like the Air force has got you in the balls.

I'm concerned about your financial situation. You said you need to pay off debt, but you bought a 30,000 dollar car? I would pay the debt off first before buying a car like this. And didn't you know you were going to be shipped off sometime when you were paying off the car?

I would just bring the car and pay it off and at the same time, use it when I'm there. Plus, a lot of British car enthusiasts will like to take spy photos of your car. About the navigation, I wonder if it would be possible to pick up a DVD disc from a Honda Accord dealer in England. Of course their Honda Accord is our TSX. I would think they would have a Navigation system over there too.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 PM
More On

Maybe at some level I try to have a different view -- I don't know. All I know is, I'm seeing this differently.

It if was me and I had a chance to bring it, it would be a no-brainer -- YES. If I'm being shipped somewhere, I'd like the idea of having whatever familiar beloved things I could. A chance to bring the TSX!!?? You bet your bippy.

BTW -- Again and again, we see how great this site is, in unexpected ways. RB comes on here and talks about going to Mildenhall, and it turns out Sogdoc used to be stationed there! How much ass does that kick??
Old 09-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do NOT bring your TSX (or any other North American) car to England!! They drive on the left -- you want the steering wheel on the other side.

Recommend you tell your story to the Acura dealer, or to American Honda's marketing department. They sell Accords in the UK which you can get equipped to almost match your TSX. Meybe they would like to gain some good will with the American public by helping out a G.I.

Don't get me wrong -- making great cars at a price I can afford is good will enough for me. But helping you trade cars really will score points with the public.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Originally posted by larchmont
Maybe at some level I try to have a different view -- I don't know. All I know is, I'm seeing this differently.

It if was me and I had a chance to bring it, it would be a no-brainer -- YES. If I'm being shipped somewhere, I'd like the idea of having whatever familiar beloved things I could. A chance to bring the TSX!!?? You bet your bippy.

BTW -- Again and again, we see how great this site is, in unexpected ways. RB comes on here and talks about going to Mildenhall, and it turns out Sogdoc used to be stationed there! How much ass does that kick??
Yes that was cool, he PMed me some good info and stuff about the base... I will always stay with this site no matter where I'm at in the world, I'm a acura-tsx faithfull!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Cruisin'

Larchmont, I would normally agree with you, but in England with the right hand drive, driving from the left can be a real pain in the arse. Simple things like getting a ticket out of a parking garage gate become a real hassles. Also, if you run into a mechanical difficulty, you may have to wait a couple months for parts. I know it is the European accord, but many parts are US Spec and have to be ordered. Also, I never trusted the British Mechanics with the US Spec cars. Some people had left hand drive, but they were usually the ones complaining about driving there. Now on the other side of the coin, I would love to get out on the winding country roads in England and really put the TSX to the test. I am sure it would be a great ride. Either way, he can't go wrong.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Racer

I say sell it. When they ship your car over there aren't they going to 'tear' it up (removing door panels, etc) checking to see if you have drugs/illegal items in your car?