Need urgent advice on 04 TSX- VSA malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need urgent advice on 04 TSX- VSA malfunction

What's up guys? This is my first post here. I've been a fan of these cars for a while and i'm seriously condering one.

The Good: 38K miles, mint interior and exterior, and low price $15,000

The Bad: The damn VSA, ABS, and Brake lights are on and it's not a question of a reset. There is no communication going on between the VSA and the sensors?wheels? The front left wheel seems to be the problematic one.

The seller told me that it should be around $1,000 to fix the problem but I'm a bit skeptical. What do you guys think is the worst case scenario for this repair and how much would a new VSA module come out to with labor? The car also needs an alignment. Taking into account these problems is this still a good deal or should I wait till I find one without any issues? I'm willing to shell out $1500 for the repairs but my gut tells me that it's probably going to end up being way more than that.

I know these cars are rather reliable, but i'm still an undergrad and i'll have to look elsewhere if the tsx has frequent electrical issues. Any input is valued. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
I would check it out with another place...
Last time that happen to an older car abs light came on, they said it was 1000 bucks, to reprogram something... on a toyta camry 92

turned out a place was able to reset it, and things were a okay.

Get a second opinion.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by slaveofpain
What's up guys? This is my first post here. I've been a fan of these cars for a while and i'm seriously condering one.

The Good: 38K miles, mint interior and exterior, and low price $15,000

The Bad: The damn VSA, ABS, and Brake lights are on and it's not a question of a reset. There is no communication going on between the VSA and the sensors?wheels? The front left wheel seems to be the problematic one.

The seller told me that it should be around $1,000 to fix the problem but I'm a bit skeptical. What do you guys think is the worst case scenario for this repair and how much would a new VSA module come out to with labor? The car also needs an alignment. Taking into account these problems is this still a good deal or should I wait till I find one without any issues? I'm willing to shell out $1500 for the repairs but my gut tells me that it's probably going to end up being way more than that.

I know these cars are rather reliable, but i'm still an undergrad and i'll have to look elsewhere if the tsx has frequent electrical issues. Any input is valued. Thanks!
I'd rather spend more and get a used car in better condition... if the owner didn't take good care of his car who knows what other problem it might have.

The best way is to ask the owner taking the car for inspection and also get an estimation of the repiar.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced

I purchased my '04 TSX for 20k after lic/tax/etc yesterday. it has 35k miles and is in perfect condition. I would highly suggest you find one that has ben certified pre-owned.

Tell the dealer that you want that all fixed before you purchase the car. Unless of course you are not purchasing from a dealership.

As said above, spend a little more cash and get one in much better condition.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Instructor

It could be many things: broken wheel speed sensor, bad tranny speed sensor, there is also yaw sensor (I think). Take it to a place that can diagnose the problem using a computer. They can hook it up and they will know what needs to be fixed (at least the first thing of a few, if there is more than one).

MBA