Need some good honest opinion!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Need some good honest opinion!!

Okay, a few days ago..I was stuck in traffic and waiting for the light to turn green. Then out of no where this guy in a SUV hits my car in the rear. I went out to check my car to talk to the guy. He gets out of his car and started to say how he didn't see my car but it was total BS. I think he was little drunk but I didn't care because I just wanted to check my car. There were a few damaged areas but they were not big at all. There were a few scratches, two nicks on the oem kit, and a little crease on my lower middle bumper (near the oem kit). I went to 4-5 different bodyshops and got an estimate of around $800 ish. I was so shocked that the damage came out to be that much. I was ready to call the guy to drop some bad news on him but wanted to ask my dads' friends(owns a bodyshop) opinion on getting the new paint job. He told me not to get the new paint job. He said that the paint isn't going to be painted the same way as a factory would do it. The factory paints the car while they bake the car but shops can't do that. The quality of the paint wouldn't be any near as factory paint (even though, they use same paint).
My question is should I fix it or not? I mean, its not that noticeable..the only thing that bugs me the most is the crease part. I can just take the money and buy the new oem kit (back only).
What should I do? Fix the whole thing, just the oem kit or what?
thanks guys,
Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics would be helpful.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think your uncle is correct. I say "I think" because I have no direct knowledge but I hear this a lot.

If it was me, I would fix it regardless. I believe its worse like this than non-baked second paint job could ever be. How bad can a non-factory paint job be (even over time) in comparison to a damaged bumper.

Also, keep in mind, I dont think the OEM kit is factory painted anyway.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disagree with uncle 'Joe' - any good painter should be able to blend the paint seamlessly - this is part of their trade for obvious reasons.
The car and body parts are dipped in the paint, then oven cured as they travel along - they're not baked as they're painted, again for obvious reasons.
Depending on his contact speed, I wouldn't rule out potential rear sub-frame damage as well as purely cosmetic. Best get it checked out fully before giving him the final tally.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:23 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
I think your uncle is correct. I say "I think" because I have no direct knowledge but I hear this a lot.

If it was me, I would fix it regardless. I believe its worse like this than non-baked second paint job could ever be. How bad can a non-factory paint job be (even over time) in comparison to a damaged bumper.

Also, keep in mind, I dont think the OEM kit is factory painted anyway.
Yeah, I'm just going to take it to the shop and get it fixed. btw, oem kit just comes with factory painted.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by PJS
Disagree with uncle 'Joe' - any good painter should be able to blend the paint seamlessly - this is part of their trade for obvious reasons.
The car and body parts are dipped in the paint, then oven cured as they travel along - they're not baked as they're painted, again for obvious reasons.
Depending on his contact speed, I wouldn't rule out potential rear sub-frame damage as well as purely cosmetic. Best get it checked out fully before giving him the final tally.
I doubt my frame is damaged...He was traving less than 2mph so. If there is frame damage then I should never drive my acura ever again.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:52 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Since the other driver is liable and is going to pay for it,

I would take to the Official Body shop for Honda/Acura.

Its located in Auburn and its Hinshaw's Honda Auto Body.

It would not be second rated body shop as I can be sure that they use honda paint.

They are top notch and are tied together with Hinshaw's Acura of Fife.

So I hope that addresses your concern about the paint not matching because Hinshaw's would use Honda Paint.

Hinshaw's Honda Auto Body
Old 09-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Got Phó?

Yeah, its gonna bug the hell out of you seeing that everyday. I know my dent did. Get that shit fix!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd get everything fixed. You'll feel better about it. The other guy is paying for it anyway.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PJS
a skilled painter can paint and blend NBP, but make sure you're taking it to a place that's familiar w/ Acura colors, like the local Acura body shop. And go through insurance, don't let the guy pay out of pocket. After the shop starts removing hte bumper you never know what else might be damaged
Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by xenonhid

It would not be second rated body shop as I can be sure that they use honda paint.

So I hope that addresses your concern about the paint not matching because Hinshaw's would use Honda Paint.

yeah but its kind of far for me plus, I need to talk to the guy about the whole rental car issue too. I found few shops that are recommended by Acuras so should be okay.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Yeah, its gonna bug the hell out of you seeing that everyday. I know my dent did. Get that shit fix!
Originally Posted by loveMYTSX
I'd get everything fixed. You'll feel better about it. The other guy is paying for it anyway.
yeah, I'm just going to get it fixed. thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:13 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by xizor
a skilled painter can paint and blend NBP, but make sure you're taking it to a place that's familiar w/ Acura colors, like the local Acura body shop. And go through insurance, don't let the guy pay out of pocket. After the shop starts removing hte bumper you never know what else might be damaged
He doesnt want to go through his insurance and I told him that thats okay with me. what to do???? Should I take it to the shop and ask them to remove the bumper and see if there is any damage? I dont know......
Old 09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Yeah, I'm just going to take it to the shop and get it fixed. btw, oem kit just comes with factory painted.
when i was going to get the oem kit, they told me i didnt have to decide, cause they could use it on any other tsx if i decided against it, which to me, implies it doesn't come to the dealership factory painted.....
Old 09-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by xenonhid

if you didnt file an accident report, i don't know how you're going to get the other guy to pay for it (unless he's a nice guy).
Old 09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by bradykp
if you didnt file an accident report, i don't know how you're going to get the other guy to pay for it (unless he's a nice guy).
I would love to go through insurance because its much easier and less work but it doesnt really matter to me as long as my car gets fixed...I talked to the cop and they dont told me that as long as the damage is no more than $700...no need claim the file but damage came out to be more than $700 so I should file the accident report but dont want any bad title under my car. Everyone might think that it must be pretty big damage to do $700-800 damage but seriously....its nothing!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:15 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

I doubt my frame is damaged...He was traving less than 2mph so. If there is frame damage then I should never drive my acura ever again.
In the absence of a speed mentioned in your original post, I felt it worthwhile to mention the sub-frame. At 2-5mph - then obviously you've less need to worry about it than you would otherwise.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Familiarity with Acura/Honda/BMW/VW/MB/etc colours has nothing to do with whether they are competent to do the job correctly.
Some independent bodyshops have superb painters that'd shame the franchised dealer's guys, charging at a higher hourly rate as well.
If possible (time permitting) speak to some of an intended garage's recent repair customers and see how they rate them and would use them again.

I don't see any benefit to the driver being coerced into paying via his insurers - that'd affect his no claims bonus if he did. If he's happy to fork over a cheque for the amount, then take it and use it.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

there are someplaces that will bake the paint. you just have to find them. i cant find where mine was painted of not.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

I would love to go through insurance because its much easier and less work but it doesnt really matter to me as long as my car gets fixed...I talked to the cop and they dont told me that as long as the damage is no more than $700...no need claim the file but damage came out to be more than $700 so I should file the accident report but dont want any bad title under my car. Everyone might think that it must be pretty big damage to do $700-800 damage but seriously....its nothing!

7-800 bucks is easily taken up with labour for removal, inspection of bumper and frame, painting and installing bumper once again, as well as the paint itself.
Make sure to get at least 3 quotes for the work done - just in case the guy gets antsy about the cost, figuring you're trying it on with him.
I presume you did exchange details at the time, including insurance - on the off chance he might have a change of heart once the quotes are presented to him?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:29 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rpappi
there are someplaces that will bake the paint. you just have to find them. i cant find where mine was painted of not.
All 2-pack paint needs cured in an oven - 60ºC, IIRC.
Any proper bodyshop should have one or more ovens.
Bear in mind once the painting is done, the paint will not be fully cured for at least a further 3-4 weeks. So no claybaring and very delicate washing. No waxing either - especially not carnuba based.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TSX paint isn't like the spaceshuttle paint or something so any good paint shop should be able t do the job. I myself bought the matching factory paint from West Bay Auto and painted my kit myself and it came out almost exact (before the WA rocks got to it). So with that being said, any paint shop that paints everydays hould be able to hook it up without a problem. If your bumper is creased you're gonna want to get a new one. Might as well get a full rear bumper after market styley If the guy gives you any crap about the cost show him how pristine the rest of you car is and say "the bumper of the car use to look this good till you smacked me "

Good luck and see you soon for that window!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Advanced

I think you should learn how to spell honest first.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by pbjpb
:gheylaugh: Oh NO, schpelling police, PULL OVER SILLY. :gheylaugh:
Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by pbjpb
forgive me...English isnt my first language.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:08 AM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by PJS
7-800 bucks is easily taken up with labour for removal, inspection of bumper and frame, painting and installing bumper once again, as well as the paint itself.
Make sure to get at least 3 quotes for the work done - just in case the guy gets antsy about the cost, figuring you're trying it on with him.
I presume you did exchange details at the time, including insurance - on the off chance he might have a change of heart once the quotes are presented to him?
I acutally got around 6 quotes so should good enough.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 AM
CGP Ebony

forgive me...English isnt my first language.

Thats a good thing, Right now I speak fluently English, Korean, and now working on Japanese.

You wont believe how well you can conduct business being mulitlingual!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
CGP Ebony

Nevertheless, I hate to see your baby like this S14ntsx, I hope everything gets sorted and fixed.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by PJS
Familiarity with Acura/Honda/BMW/VW/MB/etc colours has nothing to do with whether they are competent to do the job correctly.
I think it does, if a painter hasn't done many three stage pearls, I wouldn't take my PWP to get it done. the TSX colors aren't found on your everyday Ford or GM. If the painter is talented he can probably blend the damaged area well, but he doesn't do the stages correctly, it'll be the wrong color
Old 09-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by bradykp
when i was going to get the oem kit, they told me i didnt have to decide, cause they could use it on any other tsx if i decided against it, which to me, implies it doesn't come to the dealership factory painted.....
it comes painted, the end
Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 PM
mmmmmm....

it comes painted, the end
thats what I thought too.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

whatever you do, u better get paid for the damage, whether u use it to repaint it or put it in your pocket
Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Instructor

aftermarket paint peels after a while, get a new back lip
Old 09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by tlbkcal
eh??? what you mean by aftermarket paint? Didn't you read the earlier posts?? They do use factory paint...I need to talk to the shop people if they are going to repaint the whole thing or going to get me a new lip kit.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Racer

If the job is done coreectly it will never peel and it should look the same as factory.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

I think it does, if a painter hasn't done many three stage pearls, I wouldn't take my PWP to get it done. the TSX colors aren't found on your everyday Ford or GM. If the painter is talented he can probably blend the damaged area well, but he doesn't do the stages correctly, it'll be the wrong color
Errmm, I think that's where the term I bolded in my previous reply, quoting you, comes into play.
Skilled means exactly that - they've progressed from learning the basics to being able to do them without having to think about it.
That's the reason they get paid more than the apprentice just hired.

A proper skilled painter will have done enough different colours and types of paints to build up his knowledge base. He'll have also spent many hours playing with different paint brands to learn and understand his craft away from his normal work - such as airbrushing bikes/helmets/canvas, etc.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tlbkcal
No it doesn't - the type of paint used does not lend itself to peeling.
You're thinking of powder coating metal, and then oven baking. That type of paint finish is plasticised and if done on alloys say, then kerbing it could lead to it peeling.