When I was 22 I wanted a Porsche 914, which costs twice as much as
the average car. Like the S2000, it was a two seater. So I bought a
Datsun (Nissan today) B210 instead. Not quite the same thing and it
only lasted a couple of years.

Many years later I bought a Porshce 944, also a two seater but with
a hatchback and loved it. It lasted 18 years. Besides being well built,
it had automatic transmission, which is a pleasure to drive in stop
and go city traffic. I get a kick out of hearing people brag about
driving manual transmission. My first 3 cars were MT. But as you get older...

That Porsche costs $24000, but divided by 18 years and great fuel economy,
it was one of the least expensive cars I've ever owned. I paid a 25% premium
on auto insurance for it, but living in the suburbs the rates were low compared
to living in a major city.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
No longer in denial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for the s2000. You're young, and if you can afford it, do it. Work can possibly pay for your schooling if you do want to go back. Since you're living at home you'll be able to afford it. I'm in a similar boat meaning I live at home, but I paid out of pocket for my TSX and for my education and I just got my masters at the lovely age of 24.

You can do it all, especially since you're lucky to have parents that will help you keep a roof over your head. But then again, if you're trying to move out soon, I wouldn't recommend getting a nice ass car if you're going to have to worry about rent and insurance. That and most chicks don't usually dig guys that still live at home with their parents even if they have a nice car. My
Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Omg S2000! Do It! Do It Now!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

I'm going to turn 22 next week, and have owned a 2004 S2000 (Silverstone / Red-Black) since I was 20. I figured what the heck, I'm young and I should get one.

God it's a fantastic car. The gearbox is pure brilliance. I've driven other manuals and I don't think I could ever drive a manual that wasn't as good as this. The problem is, I'll probably be getting autos from now on because I won't find anything as good. lol

I love the attention. I love the small car, two seat approach. I never haul people around, why waste car by having a back seat I don't use. The car is pretty comfortable for me from the driver's seat, but tiresome over longer trips. Acceleration is beautiful, and the roofless aspect is awesome. I drive 90% of the time with the top down.

Now there's downsides. No VSA. Not a biggie for people who are experienced RWD drivers, but the car is light and driving in winter is difficult without it. Also, you need winter tires to really be able to drive the car during the winter. Some people handle it no problem. I have another car at the moment that I use during the winter.

Also, there's no advanced technology in the car. Yes, the engine and "top down heater" is brilliant, along with the handling and performance. However, for a $32,000 car, I want automatic climate control and a better radio. Yes, I know that's not what the car is for, but as a daily driver, the car is hardcore. It is my daily driver, and isn't bad on the short trips I normally take, but lately I've been longing for something with the power, most of the handling, and a lot more comfort.

It may be that I'll lose my winter beater here in a month or so (family situation) and then my S2000 will be my only car. That means I'll probably have to part with it because I don't want the winter hassle it'll bring. Call me a baby, but as an only car it isn't going to work.

Now I'm looking for something that is just as good looking (the S2000 isn't ostentatious, but very elegant), has a lot of performance, and has the creature comforts you'd expect from a car in this price range (this = S2000 price range).

Fact of the matter is I'm not using the S to it's full potential, and I feel bad about that. I appreciate and respect the car, but as a daily driver it's just not practical.

The car has made me some friends (good conversation starter) and owning has been an excellent experience. I don't want to get rid of it, but if I have to I don't know what I want to get.

My $0.02
Old 07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Haha I figured this post was dead. So I didnt bother deleting it. I did go with the TSX in the end, but thanks for the input everyone provided.