Navigation Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Accuracy?

Hi everyone. I have an 06 TSX and have just a couple of questions about the navi accuracy. I have searched as much as I could, but I still have a couple of questions. First question is, how accurate do all of your navi's place you on the road? On the screen, I appear to be a little behind and to the left of where I actually am, probably 10-15 ft. I have tried to adjust my position in the set-up but that doesnt seem to change anything, and I have tried to reset my navi by disconnecting the negative battery terminal. should i have also disconnected the positive terminal? Second question is have any of you ever gotten the reception icon to turn green? I have checked to see how many satellites I am using and it seems i am using well over the required 3-4 satellites, but I have never gotten "green" reception. Just some extra info: stock no tint and I have also tried taking out the DVD and examining it for scratches. Again sorry if these questions have been covered before but I have searched over several navi threads already.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this just when you started driving? Sometimes it takes it a little bit to search for satellites but then it becomes really accurate later on once it's found the satellites.

Or... your GPS may just be out of calibration. If it is... i think the dealer would be the place to go isntead of you messing with it.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
6th Gear

This is even after I've started driving. As I said, its not off by much, but it is noticeable so I'm just wondering if it's normal for it to be off or is everyone else's pretty much right on the dot. Also, when I zoom in all the way, it looks like I'm driving along the left edge of the road.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Racer

Mine isnt perfectly accurate on my 05. Ive tampered with it myself as well, but Im about 10-15ft behind the icon as well. That makes a difference when Im already at the intersection, but the Navi says Im not. Zooming in close, I just assumed the left/right side placement was no big deal. I do notice that in neighborhoods when Im rolling up my street the Navi address numbers arent accurate. I just assume the calibration is off slightly, and I could live with it. However if it could be tuned more precisely then I would be all for it.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:07 AM
6th Gear

Same here. I could live with it, but if other people know of a way to make it more accurate or if the dealer can calibrate it I think it would be well worth the trip. But if it's normal, then I have no complaints
Old 03-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mine's always slightly behind also. You get used to it.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Out n about

Originally Posted by Alin10123
.. i think the dealer would be the place to go isntead of you messing with it.
You're still under warranty - rather than the aggravation...on another note, I wish the Nav system would "ding" when it comes time to make a turn in addition to the second window - I would rather not have to look at that second window to see the distance, esp. when there are small intersections ahead.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can calibrate it yourself. It's not that hard, just go into the diag screen.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
6th Gear

as I have said, I have already tried to adjust my position using the setup menu, but it did not help at all. I wouldnt mind taking it to the dealer, but I don't want to take it in if it is normal for the navigation to be a little behind.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Assuming your problem isn't related to the newer '06 Navi computer, here's some reasons why it may seem a bit off. GPS is only accurate to within about 25 feet (on good days you can get 10-15 feet) for civilians. So, you will usually be about one road width off. The navigation computer will take the GPS calculated position, and the internally stored maps, and try to "guess" where your most likely position is on the road. Part of the problem is that different parts of the country, different cities, have more accurate road surveys than others. I've personally found roads in my area (Colorado Springs) that appear to be "off" by a minimum of 30-50 feet. The way I know is that GPS is typically 20-25 feet off (or less), and when I try to turn on these roads, the navi computer *always* struggles to figure out which road I've just turned on. Since it always does this, it's a pretty fair indicator that the survey that placed the road is off in the database. Pay attention to how your nav system behaves in other than the areas you've observed problems in. It may be that the map information for your paticular area is off. Over the next few years, as more of the newer GPSIIRM satellites replace the older GPSII/IIA birds, you should see a significant improvement in the accuracy, which may help as well.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:14 PM
6th Gear

Thanks gps. so it sounds like a trip to the dealer wouldnt be so useful. by the way, I'm in the LA area (no not downtown, so the buildings wouldnt be a cause) so if anyone around here gets more accurate results or the same results i get please let me know, but thanks to all those who chimed in.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

My 2004 TSX has Navi and it is off by several miles sometimes. I have realigned it from the setup menu but when I drive it seems to go off course again. I usually reset it when I get home. I am having the dealer look at it now and hope for a good outcome..

Has anybody had a repair done on these? Do they upgrade the DVD Disk to the latest version? Orange 3.5 I think...
Old 03-11-2006, 06:19 PM
6th Gear

when you say reset do you mean you disconnect the negative battery terminal and enter the code again? please let us know what the dealer does with it.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gobritgo
when you say reset do you mean you disconnect the negative battery terminal and enter the code again? please let us know what the dealer does with it.
By "Reset" I mean go to the menu and 2nd screen bottom button and reposition the cursor on the map to my current location (home)
Old 03-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsiir
Assuming your problem isn't related to the newer '06 Navi computer, here's some reasons why it may seem a bit off. GPS is only accurate to within about 25 feet (on good days you can get 10-15 feet) for civilians. So, you will usually be about one road width off. The navigation computer will take the GPS calculated position, and the internally stored maps, and try to "guess" where your most likely position is on the road. Part of the problem is that different parts of the country, different cities, have more accurate road surveys than others. I've personally found roads in my area (Colorado Springs) that appear to be "off" by a minimum of 30-50 feet. The way I know is that GPS is typically 20-25 feet off (or less), and when I try to turn on these roads, the navi computer *always* struggles to figure out which road I've just turned on. Since it always does this, it's a pretty fair indicator that the survey that placed the road is off in the database. Pay attention to how your nav system behaves in other than the areas you've observed problems in. It may be that the map information for your paticular area is off. Over the next few years, as more of the newer GPSIIRM satellites replace the older GPSII/IIA birds, you should see a significant improvement in the accuracy, which may help as well.

10-15 feet is pretty good for us civilians. I was surprised to see that it was even that close. gpsiir is right the maps play alot in the computer guessitmating your position.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

Portable GPS and Alpine in car unit, do they use same sats?

I have a Garmin eMap device. It's a handheld. More often than not I can detect movement within 5 to 10 feet I have walked around in my house to test. I was impressed. When it connects to more than three satelittes it is very accurate. It includes elevation measures. It is nice for hiking but I mainly use it when I feel like exploring on my Honda Sabre v750.

I guess that is why I had so much expectation from the Alpine Navi.

Do you think this uses the same satellites? If so then my system is probably goofed up.