Navi Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Question

Hey guys,

I'm just curious how many of you have the Navi setting on "Auto" so that when it's dark out, the screen isn't as bright? I've been leaving it on the "day" setting all of the time, but I was just curious how many of you use the night setting?

Also, to have the "auto" feature work properly, don't you have to turn down your dimmer switch one notch?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
私はより良い

the auto feature doesnt require you to turn down your dimmer switch to any notch and i use it all the time

the navis too bright during the dark IMO
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it took me two months to figure out the auto setting, but i haven't gone back since.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Pro

It's not that it goes dark when it's dark out, but instead when you turn on any of your lights. Frustrating in dark weather, or dusk/dawn, because turning on the headlights or parking lights in these situations makes the screen too dark to see well. And yes, AUTO works at all dimmer settings except max, otherwise it just stays on the day setting all the time.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Pro

So, how do I enable the "auto" feature for the Navi then?

Also, how often do you all clean your navi screens, and what are you currently using? Have you noticed any scratches in the screen yet?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
So, how do I enable the "auto" feature for the Navi then?

Also, how often do you all clean your navi screens, and what are you currently using? Have you noticed any scratches in the screen yet?
There's a rod in the dashboard by your speedometer. It adjusts the brightness. Twist it so that it is on level 4 out of 5 (e.g., not the maximum level). Then press the "set up" button, and then select the auto setting. Now, whenever your headlights are turned on, it switches to night mode automatically.

If you have to use your headlights (e.g., fog or rain), just twist the rod to maximum, and your navi switches back to day mode (e.g., you don't have to go into the setup screen).

You can adjust your day and night settings independently, so you can make your day and night brightness settings match your preference.

As for my navi screen, I bought some protective layers at javoedge.com (they were either a vendor here or the other tsx site). The anti-glare one is nice, but it's thick so your fingers feel the difference when you're pushing the screen. The ultra-clear one is skinny and feels like oem, but in some situations, I can't see the screen at all.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
私はより良い

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
There's a rod in the dashboard by your speedometer. It adjusts the brightness. Twist it so that it is on level 4 out of 5 (e.g., not the maximum level).
No wayy.... I never knew that did that!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Pro

There's a rod in the dashboard by your speedometer. It adjusts the brightness. Twist it so that it is on level 4 out of 5 (e.g., not the maximum level). Then press the "set up" button, and then select the auto setting. Now, whenever your headlights are turned on, it switches to night mode automatically.

If you have to use your headlights (e.g., fog or rain), just twist the rod to maximum, and your navi switches back to day mode (e.g., you don't have to go into the setup screen).

You can adjust your day and night settings independently, so you can make your day and night brightness settings match your preference.

As for my navi screen, I bought some protective layers at javoedge.com (they were either a vendor here or the other tsx site). The anti-glare one is nice, but it's thick so your fingers feel the difference when you're pushing the screen. The ultra-clear one is skinny and feels like oem, but in some situations, I can't see the screen at all.
So, are those protective layers worth it or not? Also, can you wipe the screen off with the protective layer on, or do you need to remove the layer to clean off the finger prints?

Also, I was thinking about ordering the anti-glare one, since I tend to get a lot of glare, especially during the daylight on my Navi screen. Is this film TOTALLY noticeable, or is it not too bad?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro

I think you also have to go into the SETUP screen and set it to AUTO (the other two settings are DAY and NIGHT, IIRC.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
So, are those protective layers worth it or not? Also, can you wipe the screen off with the protective layer on, or do you need to remove the layer to clean off the finger prints?

Also, I was thinking about ordering the anti-glare one, since I tend to get a lot of glare, especially during the daylight on my Navi screen. Is this film TOTALLY noticeable, or is it not too bad?
I got it because I had a gave a co-worker a ride and he was so stupid and used his finger-nails on my navi screen. Not only that, he would hit each screen very hard...he might as well have whipped out a pencil and stabbed my screen.

You can clean the screen with the protection on it. However, you can easily remove the protection, wash it with soap and water, and then replace it. I had the idea of using the anti-glare during the summer months, and the ultra-clear during the winter months...but I don't have the patience to sit down and do it.

Both the ultra-clear and anti-glare allow really good visibility of the screen (except in instances where there is too much glare for the ultra-clear). With either type, in a normal situation, you won't notice that the screen guard is there (e.g., the screen is in the shade of your roof). The only thing that bothered me is that it is about 1 or 2 mm too skinny for my tastes. They do this so it'll be easy to remove. I put it on starting on the right side so that the uncovered 1 mm width is on the left side which I can see. Next time, I'll apply it starting on the left side.

I think the film is more noticeable by touch than by sight. I can instantly feel the difference when I'm tapping away on the screen (ultra-clear feels stock as if nothing is there, and anti-glare feels like you're pushing on plastic). The anti-glare has that feel though because it has more layers than the ultra-clear...thus, it is thicker.

I'll probably swap to my anti-glare film this weekend. I've noticed more glare on my screen ever since I installed the rearview camera...lol

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
I think you also have to go into the SETUP screen and set it to AUTO (the other two settings are DAY and NIGHT, IIRC.
The AUTO setting is what this entire thread is about. I figure that it doesn't need to be repeated since we're all talking about it...