Is Nav worth $2000+

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004 | 08:24 PM
Not an Ashtray

My take:

First of all, comparing the TSX's nav system to the currenty handheld GPS systems is a lot like comparing the sound system in the TL to a Sony Walkman. Yeah, the walkman will give you great sound and do it a lot cheaper, but it is not the same. I have like five PDAs, and have experimented with every GPS solution out there. In terms of power, sheer easy of use, and speed, nothing comes close to the Acura/Alpine system.

As for me, I am glad every day I bought the NAV. I love it, and use it all the time. But, then I live in a big complex city (LA) and I there are lots of places in town where I don't know the streets. Just as an example, I went to a party last night in Encino. I know that part of the valley reasonably well, but not perfectly. Anyway, when I came out of his house, it was pitch black, and I couldn't remember which streets I turn on to get back to the highway. So, I just gave the verbal command "Go home" and Nav got me right there. No fuss. It has really improved the quality of my life.

I agree with those who say the interior is cleaner (and easier to use) without the NAV. But, IMO, the NAV is worth every penny. I would absolutely do it again.

Now, if I lived in small town, or even a city that I knew in and out, it might be different. ....
Old 01-27-2004 | 12:55 AM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by darth62
My take:

First of all, comparing the TSX's nav system to the currenty handheld GPS systems is a lot like comparing the sound system in the TL to a Sony Walkman. Yeah, the walkman will give you great sound and do it a lot cheaper, but it is not the same. I have like five PDAs, and have experimented with every GPS solution out there. In terms of power, sheer easy of use, and speed, nothing comes close to the Acura/Alpine system.

As for me, I am glad every day I bought the NAV. I love it, and use it all the time. But, then I live in a big complex city (LA) and I there are lots of places in town where I don't know the streets. Just as an example, I went to a party last night in Encino. I know that part of the valley reasonably well, but not perfectly. Anyway, when I came out of his house, it was pitch black, and I couldn't remember which streets I turn on to get back to the highway. So, I just gave the verbal command "Go home" and Nav got me right there. No fuss. It has really improved the quality of my life.

I agree with those who say the interior is cleaner (and easier to use) without the NAV. But, IMO, the NAV is worth every penny. I would absolutely do it again.

Now, if I lived in small town, or even a city that I knew in and out, it might be different. ....

Ex. I went to a TSX meet. The navi got me there pretty easily. Another TSX non-navi owner got lost and called us for directions. That type of situation alone is why the Navi was worth it.

I think it was Darth who gave his the directons.
Old 01-27-2004 | 01:24 PM
10th Gear

Personally I think all of you are crazy. Navi makes that car. The Navi does a lot more than just tell you where you are. The only problems is finding a good sales guy to show you how it works. It took me 24hrs to have the Navi down perfect. The best option I ever bought!
Old 01-27-2004 | 05:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mmanus88
then again it doesn't matter what me or kite think, go to the dealership and test it out yourself.
Well said.
Old 01-27-2004 | 05:59 PM
not worthy of a title

Quick question. Can you use the CD player (or radio) and nav at the same time? If so, does the music shut off when audible instructions are in use? And if not, can you pause nav (let's say while your on a freeway) to listen to music, and automatically resume at any time? I haven't had the chance to goto the Acura dealership.
Old 01-27-2004 | 07:24 PM
More On

Originally posted by TSXhopefull
....Can you use the CD player (or radio) and nav at the same time? If so, does the music shut off when audible instructions are in use? And if not, can you pause nav (let's say while your on a freeway) to listen to music, and automatically resume at any time? I haven't had the chance to goto the Acura dealership.
Sure you can use the CD etc. when using the Nav.
But when you activate the "voice" thing (you press a button on the steering wheel) or when the Nav is just giving you an audio instruction, the sounds shuts off for a couple of seconds (then automatically comes back on).
Old 01-27-2004 | 08:09 PM
10th Gear

The last statment is mostly correct. The music sounds do not completely shut when the voice activated direction takes over. Directions are given through the tweeters in the dash as low desibels so the music can still be heard if turned up. Or directions heard if music turned down. Regards you can get voice directions at anytime with a simple click on the screen. I however have not found a way to shut up that stupid woman when I just want to read my directions off the screen.
Old 01-27-2004 | 08:16 PM
More On

Originally posted by BradleeD
.....I however have not found a way to shut up that stupid woman when I just want to read my directions off the screen.
All of your problems are about to be solved.

First of all, you can turn off the voice by hitting the "Set-Up" button on the dash (or activating voice-command and saying "Set-Up"), then pressing "off" on the Volume line.

And you can also change to a male voice if that makes any difference. (A little more complicated, don't remember exactly how offhand. I think you have to start from the "Set-Up" screen and hit "other" or something like that, or maybe it's one of the derivatives from the "Menu" screen. One or the other.)

BTW what I said about the stereo sound turning off for a few seconds is correct about what happens when you hit the voice-command button.
Old 01-27-2004 | 11:40 PM

Originally posted by BradleeD
...I however have not found a way to shut up that stupid woman when I just want to read my directions off the screen.
You figure this one out and ever man in the world will be in debted to you.
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:11 AM
Banned

I live in a large metropolitan area and I have not had one instance where I would have needed to use the Navi in six months. If you're a travelling shoe salesman or you get lost easily... then buy it. Otherwise... save your money.
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
You figure this one out and ever man in the world will be in debted to you.
buwahahahahaha! LOL!