"Nav": Fixing the English language, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:30 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Nav": Fixing the English language, part 2

What's with that stupid "i" in "Navi"?

I've already argued for spreading the use of "y'all" and I know that all right-thinking persons agree on that.

So we can move on to the rest of the English language.

I don't know who it was who ever decided that the short-form for the navigation system would be "navi" and not "nav,"
but whoever it was, we don't have to follow. We can lead.

I know it's just one letter -- but no, it's not. It's also an extra syllable, every time we say it -- and it sounds wuss.
Try it both ways. Hear it. Feel it out. Ain't it so?

One syllable is almost always better than two. Easier, crisper, stronger.
Like on this board -- Provench becomes Prov, Jason becomes Jase......etc. Soopa soop, Motown and Moreace Mo, Iceman ice, Ebcheon eb.
I suppose Ishenretty should be Ish but we haven't gotten around to that yet. And oh, somebody or other becomes Stash.

So, you don't have to follow if you don't want to, but for me, it's "Nav," not "Navi."
Just like it should always have been.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro

I like Navi. Navi is a great option. I am getting navi w/ my TSX. Navi helps u get where u r going. navi navi navi. Did u get navi larch. I think navi is one of the best options and well worth the money, don't y'all think so. I think y'all should get navi.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:37 AM
More On

I guess that's one vote I'm not getting......

(BTW That's the first time Mo's ever spoken in complete sentences.)
Old 07-27-2003, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

navi sounds cuter
Old 07-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont
2004 TSX Carbon Gray/Ebony AT w Navi,
4/28
Well...if you're so set on it, why does your signature still say NAVI?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:55 AM
More On

Originally posted by accsueprstar
navi sounds cuter
My point exactly.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:56 AM
More On

Originally posted by TWong1200
Well...if you're so set on it, why does your signature still say NAVI?
Ooops, my bad! (Gonna change it right now!!!!)

Boy, you're sharp.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Instructor

I'm sorry, but Nav is too ambiguous. When you say you have a "carbon gray with nav", do you mean that you have a Navarro canoe as well as the TSX? Or maybe a naval shipyard? Maybe there's a navel orange in the glovebox? Or does it just mean that you have Norton Anti-Virus installed on your computer?

With Navi, all confusion is eliminated
Old 07-27-2003, 01:08 AM
More On

Originally posted by shaf
I'm sorry, but Nav is too ambiguous. When you say you have a "carbon gray with nav", do you mean that you have a Navarro canoe as well as the TSX? Or maybe a naval shipyard? Maybe there's a navel orange in the glovebox? Or does it just mean that you have Norton Anti-Virus installed on your computer?

With Navi, all confusion is eliminated
You can tell from the size of the wheels.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Ouch! I need to work on my jedi mind-tricks to convince you guys that I never said that
Old 07-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm.. this thread got me thinking. The point you make larch is most related to a pattern (and quantity) of syllables.

All the example usernames you listed are two-syllable. Those names properly fit into a single-syllable nickname...hence, larch instead of larchy or larchi.

NAVI fits because the real word is four syllables. (nav-i-ga-tion) The same applies to my username (minus a syllable)... Most call me handy (not sure why) instead of hand.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Racer

Originally posted by handruin
Hmm.. this thread got me thinking. The point you make larch is most related to a pattern (and quantity) of syllables.

All the example usernames you listed are two-syllable. Those names properly fit into a single-syllable nickname...hence, larch instead of larchy or larchi.

NAVI fits because the real word is four syllables. (nav-i-ga-tion) The same applies to my username (minus a syllable)... Most call me handy (not sure why) instead of hand.
true my name is also 4 syllables. Most call me final or fh. Both still have 2 syllables.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Racer

this is a useless thread, but i use navi and i'm going to continue using navi.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Larch! for God's sake!

You have way too much time on your hands.

ell (as in LSHenretty)
Old 07-27-2003, 11:09 AM
More On

Originally posted by lshenretty
.....ell (as in LSHenretty)
Oh yeah, sorry -- forgot!

I still think it's gonna be "Ish."
Old 07-27-2003, 11:20 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by finalheaven
true my name is also 4 syllables. Most call me final or fh. Both still have 2 syllables.
To paraphrase the Big Lebowski:

I'm the Count. So that's what you call me. You know, that or uh, His Countness, or uh, Counter, or El Counterino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Volvo calls their's VNS. I prefer "Navi".
Old 07-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I like navi because it reminds me more of the song Feliz Navidad.

Doesn't apply to me, but for some this could mean Happy Navigation Using Father. The Navi-Dad.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM
More On

Originally posted by Ozzman
I like navi because it reminds me more of the song Feliz Navidad.

Doesn't apply to me, but for some this could mean Happy Navigation Using Father. The Navi-Dad.
Hmmmmm. What would Freud say?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:56 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: "Nav": Fixing the English language, part 2

Originally posted by larchmont
[i]I don't know who it was who ever decided that the short-form for the navigation system would be "navi"
Talk to Honda. They put "NAVI" on the window sticker. If you still have your window sticker, take a look. I still have my window sticker, and it says "2004 TSX 4DR NAVI".

Oh...and I also prefer calling "navi" as well.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:10 AM
More On

Re: Re: "Nav": Fixing the English language, part 2

Originally posted by vwong
Talk to Honda. They put "NAVI" on the window sticker....
I know, dude. We're gonna make THEM change.

Now that you mention about it coming from Honda, let me ask you a question. Honda of course is an Asian company, and it seems like you're probably Asian, and therefore someone with a meaningful view on this:

To the extent that it's meaningful at all to consider it this way, doesn't "navi" sound more Asian than "nav"? -- I mean, significantly more Asian? I can well imagine that if an Asian were considering the question of what "short form" to use for "navigation," he would feel that "navi" sounds more right than "nav," more like a "real word." This is all so subjective, but I'm pretty sure that to someone steeped mainly in our culture, both would sound equally plausible. I'm wondering if maybe to an Asian ear, "navi" sounds significantly more plausible. Not the most important thing in the world, but perhaps part of the explanation for why it became "Navi."

BTW I'm completely prepared for you (and others) to tell me that this is complete garbage.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:23 AM
Instructor

I'm not Asian, but I do know some Japanese, and I can tell you that Japanese syllables are broken up such that "n" is the only consonant that can be used to end a word (when represented in roman characters).
Navigation system is this (might not show up correctly)

ナビゲーション システム

Which is spelled out

NA - BI - GEI - SHON -- SHI - SU - TE - MU

So you are right; Japanese speakers would never use Nav.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by shaf
I'm not Asian, but I do know some Japanese, and I can tell you that Japanese syllables are broken up such that "n" is the only consonant that can be used to end a word (when represented in roman characters).
Navigation system is this (might not show up correctly)

ナビゲーション システム

Which is spelled out

NA - BI - GEI - SHON -- SU - TE - MU

So you are right; Japanese speakers would never use Nav.
How about that, folks???? Thanks, shaf.

I was afraid I might really be stepping into deep doo-doo on this one. The reason I risked it was that I had a real feeling I could be onto something, and it looks like it's possible.

I had sort of a sense of what shaf is saying, without being aware of any specifics. From my very meager acquaintance with the sound of Asian languages, I had some impression that words usually don't end in consonant sounds, and that when they do, "v" wouldn't be one of them. I did think that other consonants besides "n" could be an ending -- such as "m," although I understand that maybe in Asian languages the two sounds are very close??

Interesting stuff. I'm waiting for the real experts to weigh in. It's not going to answer the question of whether "nav" is better than "navi," but maybe it'll help us understand why Honda would have come up with one rather than the other.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:14 AM
Instructor

Larch, could it be that it bothers you because it sounds/feels like a diminutive? Like Billie instead of Bill or William, or Jimmy instead of Jim or James? I wouldn't use diminutives with my kids for the very reason that it seemed to relegate them to a less important status.

So if we think it's cute, we call it navi. If we think it's an important piece of technology, we call it navigation. If we want to be familiar with it, but still want to make sure it get's the respect it deserves, we call it nav.

Lord! How did we get to this point in our lives?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Über Geek

Help. Confusion setting in…
Value systems failing…

First Larch, all-knowing, Larch (or Larchmont?) makes good point -- filling me with riteous indignation. "Navi? How STUPID."

Then people resist…are they stubborn or infidels to the wisdom that is larch?

Then the 4-syllable counter-argument rises and sets original logic spinning.

Navi? Nav? Navi? Nav? Aaaaaaarrrrgghhhhh!

Too much to contemplate…
Must log off…
Must talk with non-car geeks…
Must …get…life…
Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 AM
More On

Originally posted by captainjack
Help. Confusion setting in…
Value systems failing…....Must talk with non-car geeks…
Must …get…life…
I know (?) that Cap was mostly (?) just kidding.
But I gotta say -- to me, at least, this kind of thread is one of the things that's great about this club.....oops, site.

It's absolutely NON-car-geek stuff. It starts out as that, but where we go with it, and how we go about it...... If we wanted to, we could probably arrange college credits for a lot of the threads on here.

Hey, Cap -- we're talking linguistics, logic, international relations, political incorrectness......

OK, you win.

I'll go back to the car geeks.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Über Geek

Larch, you're wrong.
I was completely kidding.

Actually, I was serious about being swayed back and forth. Guess I'll have to see how this thread directs the nomenclature.

And thanks for using "Cap". I rather like that.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by accsueprstar
navi sounds cuter
And thus, is supremely lame to describe a cool feature like a navigation system. Larch, I'm with you on this one. Chalk up another vote for nav/non-nav.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by captainjack
[ ... ]
Too much to contemplate…
Must log off…
Must talk with non-car geeks…
Must …get…life…
You know, you're starting to sound less like captainjack and more like Captain Kirk.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by lshenretty
Larch, could it be that it bothers you because it sounds/feels like a diminutive? Like Billie instead of Bill or William, or Jimmy instead of Jim or James? I wouldn't use diminutives with my kids for the very reason that it seemed to relegate them to a less important status.

So if we think it's cute, we call it navi. If we think it's an important piece of technology, we call it navigation. If we want to be familiar with it, but still want to make sure it get's the respect it deserves, we call it nav.

Lord! How did we get to this point in our lives?
Ishenretty brings up a great point y'all. Navi sort of keeps with the y'all flavor of the new larch language. Taint snooty if'in ya gets my drift.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Not really trying to hijack the thread, but here goes a tangent based on Larchmont's "linguistic curiosity"...

I was first drawn to this site (well, actually its predecessor) by the intelligent discussions. This set it apart from most run of the mill message boards. But I think this has taken a serious turn for the worse with some of the new members that seem to be attracted by all the '04 TL discussions.

All the expletive-laden descriptions of the TL as "tite" or "sick" or "hella --fill in the blank--" make me check the URL in my browser to make sure I haven't gone back to the other side. When I don't see ANY of the usual suspects on a thread, I'm beginning to think that's a bad sign.

Anybody else feel this way or am I just being crotchety on Monday?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:36 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by planman
I was first drawn to this site (well, actually its predecessor) by the intelligent discussions. This set it apart from most run of the mill message boards. But I think this has taken a serious turn for the worse with some of the new members that seem to be attracted by all the '04 TL discussions.

All the expletive-laden descriptions of the TL as "tite" or "sick" or "hella --fill in the blank--" make me check the URL in my browser to make sure I haven't gone back to the other side. When I don't see ANY of the usual suspects on a thread, I'm beginning to think that's a bad sign.

Anybody else feel this way or am I just being crotchety on Monday?
Well, I think this is just a consequence of the TL's large (relative to the TSX) following. That population will have a distribution, the fringes of which will have some d00dz with no mAd RowInG skIlLz (or mad spelling skills, for that matter). If the TSX becomes very popular I would not be surprised if a similar population settles down here at a-tsx.

But even with its current mix of posters, I don't think a-tsx is anywhere as bad as some of the other automotive boards out there.

[Added in edit Now that you mention it, I agree: some of the 04 TL posts are pretty bad.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:59 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
my navi ownz jo0
Old 07-29-2003, 12:17 AM
More On

Originally posted by planman
......I was first drawn to this site (well, actually its predecessor) by the intelligent discussions......But I think this has taken a serious turn for the worse with some of the new members that seem to be attracted by all the '04 TL discussions......
Before we get to planman: Hey, soop ("one syllable" ) -- you're way over my head!

And, Ish -- Yeah, sort of. In fact I do usually dislike those diminutive names -- if they're for males. (Call me sexist....) My sister, who has 3 kids, LOVES those forms, and she only picked names that can easily be made into such diminutives. The first two were girls -- no problem. But with the third, Joseph, I lobbied hard (to no avail) to keep her from using "Joey." What's wrong with "Joe"? No good, she said.

So, yes indeed -- I see the diminutives as being less "masculine." And others seem to agree -- Navi is "cute."
I prefer "stronger" terms for aspects of my car.
(I know, I'm just compensating for a small penis.)

To Planman: What's great about this site is that it's a veritable smorgasbord. That's what hooked me on it. Originally I came for the car stuff. I saw how knowledgeable, how vivid and accurate it was, and how intelligently it was expressed. (Pretty great right there.) But there was more. I saw the wonderful controversies, the debates, sometimes the yelling and screaming -- so well handled by the mods, too. And I saw the great humor, the inimitable cast of characters (who projected themselves so strongly in their posts), and the great range of subjects, especially on Off-Topic.

This "TL" stuff is just a (probably temporary) concentration of one of the servings of the smorgasbord. But the rest is still here, too.

Eat only what you like, and all you want.