My TSX is here but now at FULL sticker price!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TSX is here but now at FULL sticker price!!

I ordered my PWP TSX ^MT w/NAVI in April. The vehicle arrived June 5. The dealer called today to tell me to come in and sign the paperwork. One small problem, the price had risen to full sticker from what we had previously agreed upon. It was an agreement but on a document I did not sign. The price we had discussed was on the agreement but crossed out and marked up to full sticker. Wasn't a huge difference in price($1,200) but that kind of crap just isn't right!! Anyone had this happen?

Pissed off in Indy!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'd go to another dealer on principal alone. If there is another dealer of course.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

yea, i wouldnt buy.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats screwed up, they can't just jack up the price when you come in

i would report to http://www.bbb.org/ and go somewhere else too
Old 06-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Walk out immediately and don't go back to that dealership. That is effed up.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Cruisin'

Old 06-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

The dealer just called and offered me $500 off full sticker. Am I a lucky guy or what? (Please note sarcasm!!) The only other dealer in town has no manuals.

Guess we'll wait and see what happens!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

i wouldnt buy just because of the principle involved. DONT BUY!!! at any other price man.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mach58
The dealer just called and offered me $500 off full sticker. Am I a lucky guy or what? (Please note sarcasm!!) The only other dealer in town has no manuals.

I'd refuse to buy from the first dealer, then go to the second dealer and explain the situation. Tell him the first dealer has the car you wan't and you'll buy it immediately at your previously arranged price if the second dealer can do a dealer swap with the first.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Dude...that's just fucked up. If they agree to something and put it on paper, they need to abide by it. Skip this dealer and do try what jlukja suggested.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Keeping emos out of

I ordered my PWP TSX ^MT w/NAVI in April. The vehicle arrived June 5. The dealer called today to tell me to come in and sign the paperwork. One small problem, the price had risen to full sticker from what we had previously agreed upon. It was an agreement but on a document I did not sign. The price we had discussed was on the agreement but crossed out and marked up to full sticker. Wasn't a huge difference in price($1,200) but that kind of crap just isn't right!! Anyone had this happen?

Pissed off in Indy!
Dude,

That sucks in a major way. Don't buy from that dealer and try to work something out with the other dealer in town or search around for other dealers. You'll get a better deal.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

1. Change dealership
2. Wait for a 2005.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Drifting

do you still have the written offer for the initial price from the dealer, i.e., your copy without the scratched-out price? in my very humble opinion, a sales offer is a sales offer, and they can't renege on what they offered to you.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Registered AssHat

I agree with what other people are saying. Try to give the guy a chance to fix the mistake, but if he doesn't, walk. And remember...you can go to Ft. Wayne, Evansville, etc. to get a car (or have it transported at dealer cost).

But my opinion, don't put up with that bullshit.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Pissed off in Indy!
tell them to f*** themselves...you still got the paperwork ? bitch to Acura HQ & send a copy, let Acura whip their ass.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like other's said, tell them to "F*** themselves. i'd tell they agreed initially on principle and should honor it and show them your copy!

tell 'em you'd post that shitty business practice on the 'net and they'll have no customers!!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Master in Science

Give :sqntfawk: to them. They suck.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlukja
Walk out immediately and don't go back to that dealership. That is effed up.
_________-
I second that. You're not obligated to buy since you did not sign anything. On the other hand, since you did NOTsign the agreement, you are not entitled to the price previously agreed upon. Games people play.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

I walked! At least got my deposit back. The last thing they said was a 6MT was so valuable and hard to get they couldn't discount it at all. I asked them then since it was pretty easy to get mine, why didn't they order more to stock? They hung up!

Will be looking at other dealers and at other cars.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:30 PM
9th Gear

mach85, I say, post a note in the dealers forum saying which dealer you went to and why no one else should go to that dealer!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Instructor

I'd be right-pissed off about this...you can't change the price after you've made an agreement. Especially if it's on paper...if it was simply a verbal agreement, then I'd say you were S.O.L. (to quote Judge Judy, "A Verbal agreement is only as good as the paper it's printed on") but this is wrong.

I would definitely contact Acura Customer Service and the Better Business Bureau.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
04 remembrance

Nothing you could do, but opt for other dealerships.

Good luck, and hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 PM
w00p!

Don't give up on the TSX because of one bad dealer. Visit other dealerships or email some dealers in your area. I'm willing to bet you'll find a dealership that will match your original offer.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
DON'T BUY FROM THIS DEALER! It makes me so mad that these "luxury car dealers" still play these games! This is disgusting. I am sorry but if it's the only TSX in town, I still would not buy it out of principle alone!

If I were you, I would go to another dealer and also wait for a 05 model. Just a few months away!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
! deadmau5 !

0. WHY wasn't your name signed on the document with the numbers?!

0.(a) When you put down your deposit, was there any weasel language on the document you DID sign, that explained when and where there could be a price increase? Have they demonstrated explicitly that they have legal grounds for an increase? Don't get pushed around.

1. Post your experience to http://dealerrater.com. Name names, dates -- all details.

2. Write the details to "Acura_Auto_Client_Services@ahm.honda.com". (You can post their followup reply here, but they'll probably reefer you to a district sales mgr and it might take weeks for any action to get done.)

3. Look at who's sponsoring these "enthusiast forums" -- acura-tsx.com, acurainspired.com, vtec.net -- and see if any associated dealers are willing to conduct an internet deal. You already know what you want, and that's 90% of the battle.

4. Wherever you get your TSX you can still use the local for warranty work. But since you've already made yourself known to them (and vice versa) through a contrarian process, it will be mandatory for you to document every future contact in writing. That means, don't just run in and say "there's a squeek in the right door" -- put it in writing, get a signed copy back from the service rep., and follow through on every detail. They will need to prove that you can trust them, but it's 2-strikes 0-balls, etc.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Buy it and run over your sales, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
w00p!

Originally Posted by HelicobactEr Pylori
Buy it and run over your sales, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
this post is worthless without a photoshop.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Advanced

legally speaking, the dealer didnt do anything wrong, an offer is only valid up till the point of acceptance, and without a signature, you did not accept, you only agreed to accept if that makes anysense.

you did the right thing by walking, there will always be another 6MT tsx, they are awesome cars but give me a break they are not rare and hard to get. good luck in your search, keep us updated!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so have you talked to another dealership yet?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Drifting

You should have paid full price!! Just kidding of course. You may want to consider driving up to Chicago for the car. I could put you in touch with my guys at Continental Acura...Don't let those a-holes stop you from getting the best car in it's class. Who was the dealer BTW. Let us know loud and clear.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...what a shitty dealership... Definately look for another dealership...and don't give your hopes up..the TSX is a fine car
Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Battousai the Manslayer

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Wow...what a shitty dealership... Definately look for another dealership...and don't give your hopes up..the TSX is a fine car
When your right your right, and your right...Right?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Team Owner

Great idea, Helico

Old 06-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Master in Science

Old 06-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
A car is a commodity like many others - it would be nice if one could buy it directly from the source without all the road bloacks that dealers put up.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

That is some seriously messed up $hit, I say walk, thats what I did, not to jack this thread, When i went to one dealer for my test drives, this one salesperson helped me both times. After the second test drive i knew that this was the car for me, the question was in the price. So to make a long story short, the salesperson and I sat down and worked over the numbers for a bit, and he said that he would have to get back to his manager. A few days later he calls me and said that the deal is a go. About 3 days later when i was able to get off from work and grad school, I headed down to the dealer to leave a deposit and sign the paperwork etc.... When i got there the sales manager came over and told me that the salesperson was using had "left the dealership" and that i was basically S.O.L., and they told me they couldn't "in good conscience" honor his deal. So i walked away and waited a few more weeks till I could find the same if not better deal (which I eventually did). The really F'ed up thing though was that about 2 weeks ago i went to get wheel locks for my car from the first dealer bc they are about 10 miles closer, and low and behold who was standing there right when i walked in??? You got it, my first salesperson that had conviniently "left." I wanted to kick his ass right there but just told him that he lost a good commission and was on my way, man i shoulda kicked his ass, sorry just thought i would share my experience....
Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX CSI
That is some seriously messed up $hit, I say walk, thats what I did, not to jack this thread, When i went to one dealer for my test drives, this one salesperson helped me both times. After the second test drive i knew that this was the car for me, the question was in the price. So to make a long story short, the salesperson and I sat down and worked over the numbers for a bit, and he said that he would have to get back to his manager. A few days later he calls me and said that the deal is a go. About 3 days later when i was able to get off from work and grad school, I headed down to the dealer to leave a deposit and sign the paperwork etc.... When i got there the sales manager came over and told me that the salesperson was using had "left the dealership" and that i was basically S.O.L., and they told me they couldn't "in good conscience" honor his deal. So i walked away and waited a few more weeks till I could find the same if not better deal (which I eventually did). The really F'ed up thing though was that about 2 weeks ago i went to get wheel locks for my car from the first dealer bc they are about 10 miles closer, and low and behold who was standing there right when i walked in??? You got it, my first salesperson that had conviniently "left." I wanted to kick his ass right there but just told him that he lost a good commission and was on my way, man i shoulda kicked his ass, sorry just thought i would share my experience....
Sounds to me like you shouldn't kick his ass but rather the sales managers ass. Sounds like the sales manager didn't like how good your deal was and decided to screw with you.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

This isn't normally my style, but I would suggest taking a good :shit: right on their doorstep. Then badmouth them to every potential car buyer you can think of, because what they did is but not uncommon. Isn't Acura supposed to be a "luxury" brand? Seems we have a way to go 'til Lexus. Bitch to Acura - this dealer is hurting their rep.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

The dealer in question is Ed Martin Acura/Pontiac in Indianapolis. Ed Martin's other dealerships (Nissan) are incredibly friendly and honest but the North side (yuppieville in Indy) is not. They made another phone call to tell me that they couldn't discount any manual tranny TSX but they could deal on an auto. A lot of the reason I'm so pissed is that I knew better and should have had the quote in writing. I didn't so bad on me but I'm done with that dealership for good! They truly did nothing illegal, unethical and underhanded, yes but quite legal.

The other dealer in town said he was forced to work close to the sticker (+/-$300). If sales is that bad, I don't even want to think about the service department.

Thanks for all the opinions and offers but I believe I'll look elsewhere. Just too much hassle to deal with the locals for sales or service.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
9th Gear

Quick Reply: My TSX is here but now at FULL sticker price!!