my NEW YORK CITY crew!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:44 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my NEW YORK CITY crew!!

How many of you are rolling on 19's???

I'm planning on visiting my father up there for about a month or so, and I'm going to be driving my car up.

I've got 35-Series tires all around on my 19's which are fine for Tampa's roads...

But i'm worried about them being able to hold up in NYC.

I do have my stock rims/tires.... but if i'm rollin around the city it'd be nice to have the extra style of my 19's....

If they're as good as shit though, I'd rather put the stockers back on

thoughts and opinions??
Old 04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it just depends on what part of NYC you are going to. I think it should be fine, just need to swirl around them when you see pot holes. Gd Luck with it ; )
Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Billy M

my advice to you is unless ur some sort of hotshot or drug dealer that can afford new wheels, tires, muffler, bumper or whatever the hell else you break when running over potholes that are the size of tampa, i wouldn't advise it

seriously we have some of the worst roads in the world, sometimes you'd be better off not even paving the roads, look at my thread in the photos section of my car you will see what i mean:

clicky meeee for the pics

do me a favor and make a post on it too so i can get it back on the first page! haha

good luck and welcome to ny
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

just b/c its a road trip I wouldn't advise on it...I mean as long as you stick to the main roads out here, you won't have a problem, just be very very careful. There are many people out here running on 18-20s...but since its a road trip I again say I would go with the stock....think about it tire wear, possible dings on pot holes, car will attract attention to thieves at night when you leave it out on the streets...If you have a garage to keep it in or a driveway, then maybe.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

I just came back from New York last week and lived there before too and never noticed how bad the roads were until i moved to Florida. Here I barely go through potholes but in New York its a nightmare serving pass all of them. I suggest changing to stock.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
It's not just the city that has bad roads. Parts of 95 as you approach NYC have large pot holes, too.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleWhite
just b/c its a road trip I wouldn't advise on it...I mean as long as you stick to the main roads out here, you won't have a problem, just be very very careful. There are many people out here running on 18-20s...but since its a road trip I again say I would go with the stock....think about it tire wear, possible dings on pot holes, car will attract attention to thieves at night when you leave it out on the streets...If you have a garage to keep it in or a driveway, then maybe.
dad's got an 330ci with the sport package and low profile tires, i've driven his car there and cringe at pottholes, he's never actually worn out tires beacuse he replaces them before they get that bad due to potholes and stuff... never bent a rim, but blown out tires several times.

When going into manhattan I'll be takign the subway, but i'll probably be driving in Queens and the Bronx.

The car will be in the garage at the house when i'm not using it.

At tires that cost $250+ a piece and 1200miles of wear on the tire (Each way) is definitly a concern.

Car looks soo much sexier with the rims vs. stock though...

but in light of past experinces with his bmw and the posts here its probably a good idea to just roll up there on stock rims... thing is the tires on them dont have much tread on them at all... but i suppose the trip will be safe.

stockers it is...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SmoothABP
I just came back from New York last week and lived there before too and never noticed how bad the roads were until i moved to Florida. Here I barely go through potholes but in New York its a nightmare serving pass all of them. I suggest changing to stock.
yea back when we lived there my family had an 87 accord, when i think back about the beating that car took, its amazing it survived... it sure was a champ though, they dont build em' like they used to.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Billy M

dude, i misread your post, i thought you were moving up here! anyways enjoy the month in nyc
Old 04-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Intermediate

what?

dude who are you trying to impress with the rims while you are up here?? Switch back to stock, the roads suck hear (i've seen better dirt roads). Not to mention the only people who will be impressed are the natives who just might try to car jack you in the bronx. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Mugen CL9

I have 19's on my TSX with 35 series tires on them and I drive all around Queens, Manhattan and Long Island without any major problems, BUT I know different routes to avoid crappy roads. Since the winter wasn't that bad this year, the pothole count is less, but there are still some areas to watch.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 AM

Yea everyone's right, I've made up my mind to put the stockers on, just not worth the trouble and hassle if osmething were to happen to the 19's

my whole point of going up there is to get away from friends and stuff down here so that i can build myself a cocoon in my father's house and get some hard core LSAT studying in before the June 12'th exam....

having the car is just incase I need it... probably wont use it for much at all.... so with that said, no point in even caring about having the 19's on up there....

I've made up my mind to put the stockers on, just not worth the trouble and hassle if osmething were to happen to the 19's
Old 04-22-2006, 07:50 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldn't use 19s, i didn't even bother getting 18s. i already had to flats fixed, it's good thing they weren't on the sidewall.

welcome back to nyc!