Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would like to do this mod very soon
Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AchcA
i would like to do this mod very soon
Having the right tools makes all the difference in the world. Had it not been for the various dremel tools I had, then this would've been a big PITA.

First day with the key... MAN I love this mod!!! No more banging fob, no more buldging pock (b/c of the fob at least), and it all works so well.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
Having the right tools makes all the difference in the world. Had it not been for the various dremel tools I had, then this would've been a big PITA.

First day with the key... MAN I love this mod!!! No more banging fob, no more buldging pock (b/c of the fob at least), and it all works so well.
i used a hacksaw, and pocket knife when i did this. took forever to do, but it does work. be glad you guys don't memory seats like us TL guys do. the remote works, but the momory function doesn't, and our radio stations, seat/mirror positions, and interior dimmer is hooked up to it
Old 08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rbf351
be glad you guys don't memory seats like us TL guys do. the remote works, but the momory function doesn't, and our radio stations, seat/mirror positions, and interior dimmer is hooked up to it
HAHA... guess WE do have a better car. I keep forgetting you have a TL.

With the dremel, it was so much easier!!! I have that 100 piece kit and my dremel is actually pneumatic, so I get high speed rotation from it too.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool mod! It would be even better if there's an easy way to code match the transponder chip to the immobilizer instead of cutting up the original key. That way all you need is to get a $2.00 copy of the key and insert it to the new keyfob.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
Cool mod! It would be even better if there's an easy way to code match the transponder chip to the immobilizer instead of cutting up the original key. That way all you need is to get a $2.00 copy of the key and insert it to the new keyfob.

Yeah... but I looked at it this way, my OEM key was pretty warn on the outside, especially the fob, so from my perspective, I was upgrading. Besides, if I were to sell the car, I would be most ppl would love to have a single key anyway and since it does all the same things... you aren't losing any functions.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it looks like you have to cut the key. Any trick to that? I figure I could use the dremel tool on it as well.

Does the key fit nice and tight?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Moda,

Can you add some descriptions to the pictures. I can see the pics but I'm not exactly sure what you are doing in some of them.

BTW, this thread (or maybe a new one with pics and descriptions) NEEDs to be referenced in DIY.

Imaginary rep points for you.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt
So it looks like you have to cut the key. Any trick to that? I figure I could use the dremel tool on it as well.

Does the key fit nice and tight?

Definitely have to cut the key. Here's what I did for that. I took the blank Accord key, after I removed it and used a pair of needle nose vice grips to hold them together after I mated them up. Then into the bench vice and I cut. You still have to modify the key a little more because the Accord key will more flat. The tricky part is actually getting the Accord blank out. Takes some patients.

As for the Acura key and getting at the chip, it is incased in a hard plastic box. You see the difference immediate. Cut the rubber like material off the top (Not as easy as it sounds) and pop the top off the immobilizer box.

I'll describe more in my next post.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 AM

you can program the chip

Here's the transponder programming instructions I found:
1.your new key
2.a MASTER KEY (one with the remote in it)already programmed to car.
----to program the transponder- (thats the immobilizer part)
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.

this should work
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

you can program the chip

1.your new key
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.

this should work
NICE FIND!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:58 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
you can program the chip

1.your new key

this should work
thats cool.

I like the getting a new key idea, but it look like you would still have to buy a new tsx key and get it cut, I am sure that is around $50. then we could mod it with the accord fob around $35.

so we are looking at about $85 for a whole new key setup. sound about right?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by virus7
thats cool.

I like the getting a new key idea, but it look like you would still have to buy a new tsx key and get it cut, I am sure that is around $50. then we could mod it with the accord fob around $35.

Yeah, then you have to figure your time to do it. Can get expensive, but I just did 1 key that was already pretty scratched up. I have all the integrity in this key that I had in the original.... I've put a few hard cranks on it already.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:10 PM

Yeah, then you have to figure your time to do it. Can get expensive, but I just did 1 key that was already pretty scratched up. I have all the integrity in this key that I had in the original.... I've put a few hard cranks on it already.
Yeah seems like redoing an existing key makes the most sense ($$ and time). I am always scared to not be able to return something to its original condition, but as you said this is an upgrade.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah seems like redoing an existing key makes the most sense ($$ and time). I am always scared to not be able to return something to its original condition, but as you said this is an upgrade.

If done nicely, I can't see why someone wouldn't prefer this over the stock on resale.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Just dial 1911

thats cool.

Cant we just get the key cut from the Accord blank?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Cant we just get the key cut from the Accord blank?

No the Accord key is thicker and wouldn't even come close to having the right profile as the TSX key. It is very different.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jlukja
Moda,

Can you add some descriptions to the pictures. I can see the pics but I'm not exactly sure what you are doing in some of them.

BTW, this thread (or maybe a new one with pics and descriptions) NEEDs to be referenced in DIY.

Imaginary rep points for you.
here ya go!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24807
Old 08-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its things like this that make this community so valuble.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

you can program the chip

1.your new key

this should work
Good information! Let me see if I'm understanding it correctly...

1. your new key - technically, I don't need a Acura key with the chip inside. I only need a copy of the original key so I can open door and turn the ignition switch. This is the key that will be cut up and inserted into the Accord keyfob.

2. Master key - This is one of the working original Acura keys.

3. Cut up the non-original key and inserted in the Accord keyfob.

4. Follow the programming instruciton with the Acura original master key and insert new key with the Acccord keyfob and chip for programming.

If I'm understanding this correctly, then all you need is the Accord keyfob, a copy of the key. No need to remove any transponder chip as you are programming the one in the Accord keyfob. Right?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:11 PM

Good information! Let me see if I'm understanding it correctly...

1. your new key - technically, I don't need a Acura key with the chip inside. I only need a copy of the original key so I can open door and turn the ignition switch. This is the key that will be cut up and inserted into the Accord keyfob.

2. Master key - This is one of the working original Acura keys.

3. Cut up the non-original key and inserted in the Accord keyfob.

4. Follow the programming instruciton with the Acura original master key and insert new key with the Acccord keyfob and chip for programming.

If I'm understanding this correctly, then all you need is the Accord keyfob, a copy of the key. No need to remove any transponder chip as you are programming the one in the Accord keyfob. Right?
huh....i wonder if you can program the accord chip...i would tend to think no, but I would love to know.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

The immobilizer on the ignition switch is the same for Accord, TSX and TL. Which leads me to think the transponder chip might be the same. If one already has the Accord keyfob, it would be extremely easy to test the programming with a copy of the key. Just stick the new key in the ignition and the Accord keyfob close to the ignition switch during the programming.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 PM

after looking over at some accord forums. I think you are right JTso. I think i am going to give the re-cut key/accord chip a try.

edit: accord key ordered.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
LIFE = TSX ... TSX = LIFE

Flip style Key Fob

First Post on AcuraZine!!!

Stumbled across this today just digging around for cool things to make a great car better! Saw the Accord keyfob and decided that I HAVE to have me a flip-style fob.

I will begin work later this weekend on this venture. I am going to take an Audi A6 remote, swap out the internal electronics with that of an Acura remote and place a TSX key with its transponder in the Audi casing.

If I am successful and everything goes well with no major hitches - I will post plans on the board. I found a supplier where I can get tons of Audi and VW remotes for dirt cheap in large quantities - so maybe if there is enough interest I can work something out!

Keep your fingers crossed!!

-Keith
Old 08-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Keithers
First Post on AcuraZine!!!

Stumbled across this today just digging around for cool things to make a great car better! Saw the Accord keyfob and decided that I HAVE to have me a flip-style fob.

I will begin work later this weekend on this venture. I am going to take an Audi A6 remote, swap out the internal electronics with that of an Acura remote and place a TSX key with its transponder in the Audi casing.

If I am successful and everything goes well with no major hitches - I will post plans on the board. I found a supplier where I can get tons of Audi and VW remotes for dirt cheap in large quantities - so maybe if there is enough interest I can work something out!

Keep your fingers crossed!!

-Keith
sounds like a ton of fabication, but good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 PM

you can program the chip

1.your new key

this should work
I am pretty sure this will not work with an '04 TSX.

After some research the i am pretty sure that the '04 TSX will need a SSD programming tool which should be available at the dealer or a locksmith. It also looks like the keys for the '05 and the '04 might be different.

I found most of my information from http://www.kaba-ilco.com/

let me know if you need help finding something

it is amazing what you can find on the internet.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I've always thought the code matching has to be done by using the HDS. Then again, I'd be interested to try out the programming instructions as well. If nothing else, the $2 key can be used to turn over the engine without energizing the main relay. What this mean is you can perform a compression test or troubleshooting without having to removing any fuses, as no fuel will come out.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

I've always thought the code matching has to be done by using the HDS. Then again, I'd be interested to try out the programming instructions as well. If nothing else, the $2 key can be used to turn over the engine without energizing the main relay. What this mean is you can perform a compression test or troubleshooting without having to removing any fuses, as no fuel will come out.

FYI, the immobilizer chips are IDENTICAL, so technically, I wouldn't have to remove the chips, but it is much easier to just get an Acura key and use it's chip. Actually, getting to the chip on the Accord key is very simple, nothing special.

Only thing that would work (may be repeating myself) is trying to make the Accord key work by getting it cut. It is not the same thickness or width as the TSX key. The TSX key is actually wider and slimmer.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Only thing that would work (may be repeating myself) is trying to make the Accord key work by getting it cut. It is not the same thickness or width as the TSX key. The TSX key is actually wider and slimmer.
I THINK JTso's thinking and mine now, would be to get a generic key cut at a locksmith and then program (using this SDD tool from a locksmith) the accord's chip with the TSX. I am not 100% sure that programming will work, but I should know in about a week when I get the accord key. otherwise i will probably just cut up one of the TSX keys. i hope i am not restating things....

oh and thanks for the write up on the accord fob moda!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I THINK JTso's thinking and mine now, would be to get a generic key cut at a locksmith and then program (using this SDD tool from a locksmith) the accord's chip with the TSX. I am not 100% sure that programming will work, but I should know in about a week when I get the accord key. otherwise i will probably just cut up one of the TSX keys. i hope i am not restating things....

oh and thanks for the write up on the accord fob moda!
I'm almost 100% sure the Accord chip will work. Could be some savings instead of buying a new Acura key to do this. You could easily take the chip out of the Accord key and just tape it to the side of the cheapo Acura key, do the programming and you'd know. Just so long as you keep it about 1 cm from the ignition halo, you should be find.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Just looked at the Accord chip that I took out of the Accord fob... Its made by Philips. Thought it would be interesting to note.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Just dial 1911

I'm almost 100% sure the Accord chip will work. Could be some savings instead of buying a new Acura key to do this. You could easily take the chip out of the Accord key and just tape it to the side of the cheapo Acura key, do the programming and you'd know. Just so long as you keep it about 1 cm from the ignition halo, you should be find.
Ordered my Accord fob. It would be nice to know if the chip would work for sure.

So instead of buying a new Acura key, I could just have a copy made of my key and just cut to fit, right?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Just looked at the Accord chip that I took out of the Accord fob... Its made by Philips. Thought it would be interesting to note.
Is the Acura chip made by Philips also?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Ordered my Accord fob. It would be nice to know if the chip would work for sure.

So instead of buying a new Acura key, I could just have a copy made of my key and just cut to fit, right?
Yep. Just take the chip out of the Accord key and tape it to the Acura copied key. Then go throught the programming of the immobilizer steps.

Is the Acura chip made by Philips also?
Yes. The Acura one has the same Philips insignia on it too.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
10th Gear

If nothing else, the $2 key can be used to turn over the engine without energizing the main relay. What this mean is you can perform a compression test or troubleshooting without having to removing any fuses, as no fuel will come out.
You could also hide this key under the car in case you lock your keys inside. That way, if anyone found it, they could steal what was in the car but would not be able to drive it away.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

FYI, the immobilizer chips are IDENTICAL, so technically, I wouldn't have to remove the chips, but it is much easier to just get an Acura key and use it's chip. Actually, getting to the chip on the Accord key is very simple, nothing special.

The immobilizer unit is also identical, but the Accord and TSX keys are cut different. The Accord key requires laser cut but the TSX key can be cut by the normal key cutting process.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 PM

Yes. The Acura one has the same Philips insignia on it too.
i am going off what i have been reading but the name Megamos also comes up for Honda/Acura transponders. And i it seems that the accord and tsx have the same transponder.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Suzuka Master

The immobilizer unit is also identical, but the Accord and TSX keys are cut different. The Accord key requires laser cut but the TSX key can be cut by the normal key cutting process.
Yeah, physically the keys are different.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM

Yeah, physically the keys are different.
the keys are different, but the immobilizer is the same, i never tried it on my TL, since i found these instructions after i made the key, otherwise i would ahve tried it out

the worst that happens is that it won't work, but it should. it should take you a matter of 60-90 seconds to do the entire thing. if i still had the chip from the accord remote i would try it tonight
Old 08-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

the keys are different, but the immobilizer is the same
Please post your results. I still have my Accord chip, but I won't have time to mess with it until next week.

Quick Reply: my new modded TSX KEY