My first accident..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
actually she turned to the left lane, not the right lane, while we had the green arrow to make a left turn.
I have to double-check my NC driver's handbook,... (and what remembered was wrong). In NC you have to make a left turn into the left-most lane. And I believe this state is like others, that right turns have to be from right-most lane to right-most lane. This is what helps prevent what you encountered.

So she was faulty on two counts: making a right turn on red when there was conflicting traffic (you) with right of way (granted by traffic signal), and turning into the #1 lane. She was probably also running the red light if she didn't come to a full, complete stop. Expensive little gambit had a cop been there to see that driver.

** soapbox **
So many people think it's okay to "coast" through a red when there's no conflicting traffic. I've learned that that full, complete stop is a useful tool to bring your car to a halt and really confirm that there's no conflicting traffic. If you do a "California rolling stop" (why'd we Californians get stuck with the name?) and someone you didn't see hits you, you could be at fault. Worth thinking about. Do rolling stops really save you time and expense?
** end soapbox **
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
I have to double-check my NC driver's handbook,... (and what remembered was wrong). In NC you have to make a left turn into the left-most lane. And I believe this state is like others, that right turns have to be from right-most lane to right-most lane. This is what helps prevent what you encountered.

So she was faulty on two counts: making a right turn on red when there was conflicting traffic (you) with right of way (granted by traffic signal), and turning into the #1 lane. She was probably also running the red light if she didn't come to a full, complete stop. Expensive little gambit had a cop been there to see that driver.

** soapbox **
So many people think it's okay to "coast" through a red when there's no conflicting traffic. I've learned that that full, complete stop is a useful tool to bring your car to a halt and really confirm that there's no conflicting traffic. If you do a "California rolling stop" (why'd we Californians get stuck with the name?) and someone you didn't see hits you, you could be at fault. Worth thinking about. Do rolling stops really save you time and expense?
** end soapbox **
Actually, the rule typically is that if there is only one left turn lane, then the driver turning left can turn into either lane of the perpendicular street. If there are two left turn lanes, then the driver in the leftmost turn lane must enter the leftmost lane of the perpendicular street and the driver in the next turn lane over must enter the next lane over on the perpendicular street.

Right turns are different. Right turns should always be into the rightmost lane unless you are in a situation where there are multiple right turn lanes. Then the rules are the same as the left turn lanes where the rightmost turn lane must turn into the rightmost lane on the perpendicular street.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, the rule typically is that if there is only one left turn lane, then the driver turning left can turn into either lane of the perpendicular street. If there are two left turn lanes, then the driver in the leftmost turn lane must enter the leftmost lane of the perpendicular street and the driver in the next turn lane over must enter the next lane over on the perpendicular street.
Curiously, not in NC. I checked the 12/2007 revision of the Driver's Handbook. There's a diagram and text specifically calling out "Do not turn from or enter right-hand lane." But this state's handbook is pretty sparse. California's is far more detailed and comprehensive.
Originally Posted by California Driver's Handbook
Left turn from a two-way street. Start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. Complete the turn in either lane of the cross street (shown by arrows), if safe. Use the center left turn lane if there is one. A left turn may be made from the other lane, if permitted by signs or arrows.
It has further detailed descriptions (with pictures) of left turn into one-way street, left turn from a one-way to a one-way, right turn to a one-way, right turn from a one-way to a one-way. So clearly, your own state's handbook and/or vehicle code is a Good Idea.

But aaaaanyway ... I should stop hijacking the thread (if the topic is our young friend's crash, not legality of turns from state to state).
Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
So clearly, consulting your own state's handbook and/or vehicle code is a Good Idea.
Fixed.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackToStock
Not to be a teenager, but, screw off.

hah kidding!

You're right, its either the Gcoupe or a Toyota Prius Hatchback..yeah, i know, two extremes.
LOl thats funny i know this old just to brag a little my first car was a 350z at age 16 but my pops made me sell it 6mo after i dropped a twin turbo in it.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard when a car is considered total, if you want you can still stay with the car, so you can part it out and get the most money out of it before you buy your next car!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to buy the car back from the insurance company at whatever they determine the value of the wrecked car to be. It's not like you get a big fat check plus the remnants of the wrecked car. It would be a lot of work of parting out the leftovers to make it worth while.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX408
LOl thats funny i know this old just to brag a little my first car was a 350z at age 16 but my pops made me sell it 6mo after i dropped a twin turbo in it.
You are extremely irritating.