My first accident..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Finding my TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first accident..

It finally happened. Got into a wreck.

Situation:

Took exit off highway, came to a red light, stopped maybe 3 feet ahead of the white line, where you are supposed to stop.

Look down to turn on seat warmer, and BAM. A car coming from the left hit my driver side headlight area. Took off the entire grill, bumper, etc. Doesnt look to be too much mechanical damage, mostly cosmetic. It was so sad seeing my headlights dragging on the road as they hauled it off..

Yes, pictures will be coming tomorrow when I go to see it.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

your fault or their fault?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That sucks. It's a horrible feeling to see your car like that.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
If he was at a stop, it's the other driver's fault (blew stop sign or light?)
Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i couldnt understand the OP too where of where he stopped at the red light. He said 3 feet ahead. So im guessing you are a good driver and stopped 3 feet before the white line. in that case it was the other party's fault. im guessing if your car wasnt there then they could have hit another car or went up on the curb?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Finding my TL-S

I believe his light was green. though, i was stopped infront of the white line. No idea whos fault it is, offically. but, pretty sure its ATLEAST partially my fault for being infront of the line.

Also, I think he was speeding, his car ended up on its side. Dont know how, didnt even see the people in the car, we ended up at 2 different intersections.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
i couldnt understand the OP too where of where he stopped at the red light. He said 3 feet ahead. So im guessing you are a good driver and stopped 3 feet before the white line. in that case it was the other party's fault. im guessing if your car wasnt there then they could have hit another car or went up on the curb?
Yeah, no. I was being a 'bad driver' and stopped AFTER the line.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

there wasn't a police report written? also were your front wheels 3 feet past the line?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Finding my TL-S

there wasn't a police report written? also were your front wheels 3 feet past the line?
Yes, there is a police report. But, I didnt get the other drivers insurance, officer didnt let me go till the other people had already left, so i didnt get a chance. Nor, did they get my info.

Picking up my rental tomorrow, on behalf of AAA. Deductible is $250.

EDIT: and yes, i was about 3 feet past the line.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... tough to say.

first, beyond the line is Not where you're supposed to stop.
you're supposed to stop behind the line.

I guess technically you were parked in his driving lane.
That may end up being your fault.

Sounds like a nasty wreck, glad you're okay.
Hope your insurance fixes it. I used to have AAA insurance.
By far the worst insurance company I've ever delt with.
Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
hmmm... tough to say.

first, beyond the line is Not where you're supposed to stop.
you're supposed to stop behind the line.

I guess technically you were parked in his driving lane.
That may end up being your fault.

Sounds like a nasty wreck, glad you're okay.
Hope your insurance fixes it. I used to have AAA insurance.
By far the worst insurance company I've ever delt with.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

They have been pretty good with me now..family has been with them for about 7 years now. AND, yes, even my agent said it was most likely my fault.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Grammar Police! J/K

The OP wrote:

I stopped 3 feet in front of the line, where you're suppose to stop.

I think what he meant was.

I stopped 3 feet in front of the line where I was suppose to stop.

Just to clarify for the OP.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
JDM Addict

oh, I guess that makes more sense to me.
that would imply that he actually knew what he was talking about,
and from the rest of the OP's posts, I see that he does.

so yeah, that makes better sense to me.

in any case, this really sucks. so many TSX's getting in accidents.

here's wishing a speedy recovery.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dam that sucks man, hope you're ok
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Finding my TL-S

yeah, im fine. a person in the other car had some minor scratches. ..woohoo, get my rental tomorrow..
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
on to a CRZ

like others, im glad your ok.. i hope all turns out well
Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry about that man! Maybe luck will strike your way and it won't be 'all your fault'?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey man, glad you are ok. Just to clarify, you are not at fault of this accident since there was 3 feet between the line and the front of your car, right?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Pro

sorry 2 c that...glad your ok
Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Finding my TL-S

***********UPDATE******

Well, CAR WAS TOTALED OUT. NOW IM IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW CAR! Looking at a G35 Coupe.
But, here are some pics of what happened to my car.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
that is not a good look =( sorry for your loss. i'd be crying if my car resulted in a total loss in the accident i was in 3 weeks ago..
Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Race Director

that is interesting that an Accord coupe and a white TSX in the background are also there.

i almost got into an accident today too!! i'm telling you, no offense to the women TSX drivers on here, but women can't drive!!!!

i was in the left turn lane and then the car in back of me and I had the right of way because the green arrow was on us ready to go.

then a lady in an audi who was turning right from the opposite side of street turned and wanted to beat the red light and she turned onto my lane as i was turning left and she didn't brake, it seemed like she was blind or thinking that no one was there. So, I honked my horn and almost hit her, luckily i went to the other lane in time. what an idiot!

so, i got so angry that I sped up to catch her on the other lane, honked my horn again, yelled and gave her the middle finger. then i drove off. i gave her the middle finger about 3 more times out the window.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Anybody know what that round filter on the drivers side is for?? That is not the air or pollen filter is it?? I remember the pollen filter being under the glove compartment and the air filter being enclosed in a black plastic case.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Not to be an ass, but realistically, an 18 year-old who was just in an at-fault accident and had a vehicle totaled should probably not be considering a $35k coupe on the insurance alone.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Anybody know what that round filter on the drivers side is for?? That is not the air or pollen filter is it?? I remember the pollen filter being under the glove compartment and the air filter being enclosed in a black plastic case.
Its a cold air intake.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Not to be an ass, but realistically, an 18 year-old who was just in an at-fault accident and had a vehicle totaled should probably not be considering a $35k coupe on the insurance alone.
Not to be a teenager, but, screw off.

hah kidding!

You're right, its either the Gcoupe or a Toyota Prius Hatchback..yeah, i know, two extremes.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Racer

zain you're dumb lol, I told you to be more careful. I know you, and knoww you will be purchasing the G35 you already called me to ask about one from an auction, dont worry im looking there is one tomorrow so I will call you tonight and let you know.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
well since you had a TSX then im assuming you dont care too much about speed anymore. So the prius is nice. much more practical then the coupe. I have a CL-S and i think things would be easier sometimes with a sedan. you can save lots of gas over the G35 and keep the insurance low too. I was thinking of a prius for my next car if not the TSX.

just depends what you want. the G35 says sporty, fast and fun. but expensive to gas up and insure and not as practical as your TSX. The prius is more "granny" slower and not as fun. but the same practicality as the TSX and if you get leather w/ navi, good sense of luxury like the TSX and we can all use the MPGs. But remember if you do more hwy driving then city then the civic hybrid might be more suited since it gets better hwy MPG then city and the prius is opposite of that. the civic can also be equipped with leather and navi.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM
who dat lil kid?

18 with an "at fault" accident on file before 25...

you're officially screwed...you'll never find another "reliable" insurance company for years...you're stuck with your current carrier now...
Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear this, just scraped my car against another and I said the F word in front of my little girl. I know how it feels.

My reckless suggestion.... Get something affordable and sensible for a while.[1] You've had a nasty accident, where (if the police report determined you were at fault) you were way over the limit line. There's some irony in that fact you can slice with a knife. Pity that the other driver could've been speeding, but in that circumstance, it might be irrelevant (speeding probably shortened their reaction time and stopping distance, and your nose sticking out was just more of a hazard).

No offense, I was 18 once (a whole year) too, and did some awful things to an otherwise adorable MGB,... I still feel strong pangs of remorse over that. IMHO it's time to rein yourself in a little bit and get some experience under your belt with a car that won't encourage you to push the envelope. In 4 or 6 years, you could move back up into ... a '09 TSX!

[1] No not a hippy-mobile like a Prius, but not a $35,000+ coupe either. Civic Si? Scion xC? Celica GT? Maybe Mom and Dad will buy you your heart's desire, but consider the next car you drive being squashed like that ... it will sting less if it's a car that cost half what you're targeting. Just my .
Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Finding my TL-S

Thanks, David. Yeah, I think I'm getting either a Prius or Honda Fit. time to be responsible..
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
i almost got into an accident today too!! i'm telling you, no offense to the women TSX drivers on here, but women can't drive!!!!

i was in the left turn lane and then the car in back of me and I had the right of way because the green arrow was on us ready to go.

then a lady in an audi who was turning right from the opposite side of street turned and wanted to beat the red light and she turned onto my lane as i was turning left and she didn't brake, it seemed like she was blind or thinking that no one was there. So, I honked my horn and almost hit her, luckily i went to the other lane in time. what an idiot!
So she turned right into the #2 lane? Ahem. In some states, you have to make a left turn into the #1 lane of the street only. Yours may differ.
so, i got so angry that I sped up to catch her on the other lane, honked my horn again, yelled and gave her the middle finger. then i drove off. i gave her the middle finger about 3 more times out the window.
Hello, Road Rage. Helps nothing, achieves nothing, and risks more. Just Google for "road rage Florida" for a snoot-ful of ugly events that start up with someone getting hysterical. Do yourself a favor, cool down and take the high road. I see 'tards like that lady daily,[1] and just mutter, "Hurry up, your next wreck or 3-point ticket is up ahead waitin' on you. Just stay away from my car."

[1] People pulling in front of me without signaling, then braking ... running a red light to cross an intersection I'm already turning left across ... tailgating me at 75mph then wondering why I slow down when my radar detector goes off ... the list goes on. Really, I see this daily. Maybe I'm jaded, or maybe I'm just watchful to prevent them from hitting me.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by BackToStock
Thanks, David. Yeah, I think I'm getting either a Prius or Honda Fit. time to be responsible..
Now that I have a mental picture of what happened, I see that your "error" wasn't grievous ... just the wrong place at the wrong time. Sucks like a wind tunnel, knowing that you could make that mistake a hundred times and never get a scratch, but that intersection, that day ... ker-POW. Been there, done that. The sting will pass, but the defensive driving lesson can last a lifetime. "Learn to expect the unexpected. ... The next hooligan who comes hurtling at you will come from a direction you're not looking in." Off the soapbox for tonight....

Happy hunting finding that next car to enjoy.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch.. ur damage sounds similar to my wreck
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38729
Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh yikes.. i didnt see all these posts... =X
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by davidspalding
So she turned right into the #2 lane? Ahem. In some states, you have to make a left turn into the #1 lane of the street only. Yours may differ.
Hello, Road Rage. Helps nothing, achieves nothing, and risks more. Just Google for "road rage Florida" for a snoot-ful of ugly events that start up with someone getting hysterical. Do yourself a favor, cool down and take the high road. I see 'tards like that lady daily,[1] and just mutter, "Hurry up, your next wreck or 3-point ticket is up ahead waitin' on you. Just stay away from my car."

[1] People pulling in front of me without signaling, then braking ... running a red light to cross an intersection I'm already turning left across ... tailgating me at 75mph then wondering why I slow down when my radar detector goes off ... the list goes on. Really, I see this daily. Maybe I'm jaded, or maybe I'm just watchful to prevent them from hitting me.
she turned in the #1 lane because there are 4 lanes of traffic, 2 lanes on each side. so, really it was her fault wasn't it. well, i told my gf that and she laughed, but said, we need to get you a stress ball reliever.

oh yeah that happens daily on roads in the USA, but I don't see that in Europe when I was there. wtf is wrong with us USA drivers?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mokos23

If I understand right, I got this very question wrong on my NY driver's written test, it's a tricky situation. Technically you are only supposed to go into the leftmost lane of the road you are turning onto, you should NOT go into the right lane, which sounds like this lady went into the right lane. Most people when making a left turn onto a two-lane road pick a lane(as long as there is 1 left turn lane, obviously. If there are 2 left turn lanes then it is very important you stay in your lane, and there are usually dashed lines through the intersection to guide you). The lady might not have been at fault, if she only turned right into the rightmost lane. But the law might differ in your state, and it's hard to describe in words.

But I know the feeling, and I bet when you honked your horn and flipped her off, she looked at you like you had 2 heads, right? "duh, what did I do?" That or busy yapping on a cell phone, which everyone in NJ still does, even though it's now a primary offense.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ak3883
If I understand right, I got this very question wrong on my NY driver's written test, it's a tricky situation. Technically you are only supposed to go into the leftmost lane of the road you are turning onto, you should NOT go into the right lane, which sounds like this lady went into the right lane. Most people when making a left turn onto a two-lane road pick a lane(as long as there is 1 left turn lane, obviously. If there are 2 left turn lanes then it is very important you stay in your lane, and there are usually dashed lines through the intersection to guide you). The lady might not have been at fault, if she only turned right into the rightmost lane. But the law might differ in your state, and it's hard to describe in words.

But I know the feeling, and I bet when you honked your horn and flipped her off, she looked at you like you had 2 heads, right? "duh, what did I do?" That or busy yapping on a cell phone, which everyone in NJ still does, even though it's now a primary offense.
actually she turned to the left lane, not the right lane, while we had the green arrow to make a left turn.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BackToStock
Get the Fit. Its very fuel efficient and sporty. And there is a huge aftermarket support for the Fit/Jazz. But if you are very skilled in the electrical field, maybe go for the Prius, I've seen owner modified Priuses that are now plug in hybrids that consistently return 50-70mpgs. But go for the Fit, its dirt cheap
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
where is my garage?!

'cosmetic' was an understatement. yeesh. good that you're ok. good luck with whatever you plan to buy next.

Quick Reply: My first accident..