My door lock froze up on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
My door lock froze up on me!!!

I just cannot believe that it happened!!! It has been pretty cold here, and the temperature was in the teens today. I went to my 04 TSX after I left my office this evening, only to find that the door lock would not unlock! There was a faint click and then nothing happened. I tried to manually unlock the door with the key, but it would not do a thing. Then I tried to open up the windows with the key and the windows were stuck too!

I was panicking as it was freezing cold in the parking lot and it was late. I tried to call Acura Roadside Service but the recorded message stated that due to the bad weather, they were overburdened with calls and the next available service person would be in 8 hours' time!

So I grabbed a colleague who drove me to get some de-icer for the door lock. I squirted that stuff in, and the door lock still would not work. However, miraculously, the windows started to go down with the key! Then using the interior door switch, I could get the other three door locks to unlock, but the driver's door lock was still stuck. At least, I could get into the car through the passenger seat now!

After I drove for a while, with the heat cranked up to 72F, finally, the driver's door lock started to work again.

BTW, apart from that door lock, the passenger side front power window also acted up by coming up extremely slowly to the point that it almost stopped!!!!

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!? I mean, it's 18F out there - it's cold, but it's not THAT cold!

Has anyone else had the same problem too? If so, how did you fix it? I am dreading my day tomorrow. I dread that after parking in my work place lot for many hours, the same thing would happen again. Perhaps I should just drive it to my dealership service first thing tomorrow, evening though I don't have an appointment, and see what they can do for me....

And I thought I was loving my TSX!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sigh..... :angryfire
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hasn't happened to me yet. but you're right about the windows, my windows are covered with salt and it makes a gawd aweful noise coming down. i'll need to wash her this weekend, undercarriage and all!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should've entered the car via the trunk. I had to do that once.

True Story: I had just moved to Spokane, WA and it was my second day there. My baby was dirty so I decided to wash her before the sun went down on a chilly October afternoon. Well, the sun set before I thought it would and the temperature dropped pretty quickly (from about 35 F to about 15 F in about an hour). After I finished washing my baby (and almost freezing to death) I found myself locked out of my car because the water had froze inside the door hinges and cracks and I couldn't open the door. I had to climb in through the trunk and lower the windows from the inside (they were manual windows) so I could have enough leverage to pull the door open.

My buddy did one worse, he washed his car in a drive-through car wash and got stuck inside his car, LOL.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ostrich

After I drove for a while, with the heat cranked up to 72F, finally, the driver's door lock started to work again.

I'm confused. When I'm freezing cold, I change the thermostat to high in order to heat the car up the quickest. There's some people that say they never really change the temp of their thermostat. How can you leave it at 72 when your shivering and sitting on cold leather?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes it is!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by studville
I'm confused. When I'm freezing cold, I change the thermostat to high in order to heat the car up the quickest. There's some people that say they never really change the temp of their thermostat. How can you leave it at 72 when your shivering and sitting on cold leather?
I just leave mine at 72 or 75 at all times. I use the seat warmer.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by studville
The climate control in "auto" mode will try to reach your SET temperature as quick as possible. Setting it to HI or 72 will not make any difference in how fast you reach your desired temperature(72)
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Well, I took my TSX to the dealership this morning. Though I did not have an appointment, they were nice enough to fit me in. An hour later, they told me that for some reason, the electronic control system was off. So they had to re-program it. In other words, it was a software failure. Now everything is working fine again, including the passenger side window and the door locks.

Gosh, I guess as Acura is catching up with its German rivals, it is picking up the German electronic Gremlins too!!!!!!!! Sigh.....
Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Instructor

you shouldve rolled down the windows with your remote, then climb in dukes of hazzard style.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Drifting

No I should not...

Originally Posted by mojox20
you shouldve rolled down the windows with your remote, then climb in dukes of hazzard style.
.... because I could not. What you said was obvious but for some reason, the windows would not come down for hours. Once I got the windows down, I could unlock 3 doors from the inside, so I did not have to climb in.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by synthetic
The climate control in "auto" mode will try to reach your SET temperature as quick as possible. Setting it to HI or 72 will not make any difference in how fast you reach your desired temperature(72)
totally agree, setting it to a higher temp doesn't help anything, i mean how would the vent blow hot air if the engin is not hot yet......lol
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro

I've got an '06 tsx and that happened to me in the worst winter blizzard of the season - we had more than what seemed like 5' dumped on us. Anyway, I braved that crap to cross a freeway, it had stop lights, to get to a gas station where i bought the de-icer.

The key wouldn't turn in the lock and the door wouldn't unlock using the fob, altho the panic button worked. I completely forgot that I could wind down the window using they key till i just read this post. Feck... woulda saved me a helluva lotta time!

Wouldn't've frozen my @$$ of either!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Advanced

My driver side door lock is frozen too. Not the first time this has happened, and the windows freeze in place too all too often in the cold. My last car never did this. Weak ass motors in these Acura's.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Intermediate

Mine did something really similar this morning! It was pretty chilly this morning (above freezing) and I couldn't unlock my door locks with the remote. I opened the door with the key fine, but the door lock switch inside will not lock/unlock any of the doors. I can hear the relay click (very faint) when I press the lock/unlock switch. Can anyone help?!?!?!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Advanced

I recently had my driver's side lock mechanism replaced by the dealer. It stopped working with the remote but would work with the key. It had also "froze" a few times in the winter.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
happy mine isn't the only car having this problem...
Thanks AZ!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Intermediate

Well, I've fixed my problem, kind of. The power door lock fuse was blown. The strange thing is that when i replaced the fuse and hit the door lock switch, the driver front door made a buzzing sound and the fuse blew again. So i tried one more fuse (same size). This time, no buzzing and the door locks have worked fine since. Not sure what was going on but I think the buzzing might be a bad door lock actuator.