My 1 week old TSX in an accident....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My 1 week old TSX in an accident....

So i was just about to formally introduce myself to the forum this week, after picking up my new 2007 TSX w/ navi a few days ago......but i have some bad news.....

I was coming to a stop at a light today....and a lady in a navigator rear ended me preety good going about 30MPH. Probably one of the worst sounds I've ever heard. I've never had an accident before, and this is my first new car.

The TSX held up preety well considering the impact. I'll post pics soon.

The funny thing is.....the dealer actually called me 5mins before the accident to make sure I was happy with the car.....now I wish i could call him back and ask for another one.

Hopefully it will be repaired well. I am totally happy with the car...i'm just sad it will have a bad carfax now.

Sorry for the long post...but thanks guys for helping me out the past month and steering me towards the TSX.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
07 NHBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! I just bought mine last monday and I'd be crushed! Good luck with the repair!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Car Nut

Sorry to hear about your misfortune... the sound of an accident is horrible, and after owning the car only one week, i would have been devastated.

I hope they fix her up nicely and that you can enjoy your new TSX for years to come.

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

glad to hear you're ok, but sorry to hear about the accident. darned women drivers!!! and ouch, a navigator too, that must have hurt those things are big. did the airbags deploy?

call the salesguy back and say "on second thought... the back end is a little short and crumpled on this one, can i get another?"
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear bout your car...
i know how you feel =( well except half of my front end is destroyed now...
19 more days til my car is done!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 PM
East Coast Crew

You can sue the lady for diminished value also.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Advanced

You can sue the lady for diminished value also.

I was just about to ask this. Should I get a lawyer involved for seeking diminshed value since the car is so new?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frack
I was just about to ask this. Should I get a lawyer involved for seeking diminshed value since the car is so new?

absolutely. suing (or just requesting compensation to start off with - if she's nice, she'll doing it without her hand being forced) for dv is getting more popular these days.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
East Coast Crew

Since it's a new car that just came out of the dealership, there's no reason not to sue her.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I always wondered if everything truly shows up on carfax...I had a minor accident when I ran into a guard rail with my 4runner and I got it repaired a few months later. However when I ran the carfax recently which was 4 years later...I didn't see a record of my car being repaired from that incident. My car had frame damage too...
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Wow...what's with the spate of accidents recently...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
man... sorry to hear about the accident, good thing nobody got hurt... but man I would be I hope everything works out
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Race Director

People in suv's think the TSX is a small car. I see these huge Expeditions behind me sometimes and I try to accelerate to be far from them because they're huge.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by revitupwriteitoff
absolutely. suing (or just requesting compensation to start off with - if she's nice, she'll doing it without her hand being forced) for dv is getting more popular these days.
I'm sorry, but are you guys kidding? That's what insurance is for. What if you hit somebody and they decided to sue you for the same reason or worse? Is that fair? This world has gone to hell with this type of behavior and mindset.

Btw, sorry to hear about OP's accident. Let the insurance take care of it and move on.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

that's what i was thinking the other day. makes me kind of paranoid.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by JTso
I'm sorry, but are you guys kidding? That's what insurance is for. What if you hit somebody and they decided to sue you for the same reason or worse? Is that fair? This world has gone to hell with this type of behavior and mindset.

Btw, sorry to hear about OP's accident. Let the insurance take care of it and move on.
The insurance will not care about the loss of value if you do not ask for it.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced

So i called my insurance to report the claim today....and the insurance has NO record of my car....they said the dealer never even registered the car!!!

How did they sell me a new TSX with no registration or insurance??!! ((i had transferred plates from a trade)) But I gave the dealer all my insurance information. They really messed up. And its unfortunate it took an accident to uncover all this.

But I still love the car!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Tormented by mod choices

So i called my insurance to report the claim today....and the insurance has NO record of my car....they said the dealer never even registered the car!!!

How did they sell me a new TSX with no registration or insurance??!! ((i had transferred plates from a trade)) But I gave the dealer all my insurance information. They really messed up. And its unfortunate it took an accident to uncover all this.

I believe the legal liability here then falls to the dealer. They're required by law (at least in Cali) to set you up on insurance before you purchase your vehicle, otherwise they are on the hook for any damages incurred after you leave the dealership and before you set up your own insurance. When I bought my TSX, they were very clear about this.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
gbm
Intermediate

been there

Last winter, some idiot in front of me backed into my 2-week-old-TSX while stopped. I was devastated for about a month, and have never quite recovered from the shock. Suing for diminished value is out of question. Take it to a reputed shop, and your TSX will be as good as new.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! An accident after 1 week of ownership!! I guess an accident can happen at any time. Glad your okay. Hope the repairs go well.

On an up note, welcome to AZ
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Illinois, if all of your vehicles are insured by the same company, they will automatically insure the new vehicle for thirty days.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frack, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope everything gets squared away. Keep us posted.

Serious man. That's whack.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Inattention, I reckon. It's probably not going to get any better.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Have camera, will travel

Sorry to hear this.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

I almost wiped out during my second week with the car. I was on the highway and I was going around 80-90 and I looked down for 1 second and out of nowhere I see a guardrail. I immediately flick the steering wheel, drifted a little, and I regained control by make sharp repetitive left and right turns. The ABS and the VSA I believe played a great part in allowing me to regain control. If I had no ABS I don't think I would remember to pump the brakes in a flash. I was shaking right after. Now I know to never look down at such speeds.

Just felt like I need to share that. But anyways it good that your ok. At a stop I usually look in my rear view mirrors for oncoming cars. If I see they are about to tail me, I punch the accelerator to get out the way. You never know when your dealing with a fraud artist.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't have to sue for diminished value, just be very stern and demand it from the insurance company. Most of them will cave in to the pressure, if not, then find yourself a lawyer. A brand new car will take a good hit in value for having any type of body damage. Good luck with everything and glad you are okay.

-Shaun
Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no way I would've been able to get out of that car and not start shouting and swearing at that woman.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
East Coast Crew

Tell the dealer you never got the car from them and ask them to give you one. Since it was never registered, the car was never even bought =]
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

My TSX was involved in a minor accident 2 weeks after I purchased it. I was pissed. The other driver was a visitor from another country driving with an international drivers license, he had his wife and newborn in the rental car.

This happened on the freeway, he changed lanes into me luckily I was observant and saw and was able to swerve to avoid serious damage, he just ended up side swiping me.

When we got out to exchange info I was yelling and cussing at his ass. He was concerned about his 2 week old baby. I was like I dont give a fuck about your 2 week of baby, you just hit my 2 week old car.

All in all the rental car company ended offering to pay 75% of the damages so they obviously are taking and assuming they are majority at fault. So I had my boss [I work for a law firm] contact the claims person and had them cover the entire thing.

They damage is not noticeable, very minor so I just pocketed the $$$$$$
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Cruisin'

My 1st TSX was rear ended with 250 miles on the odo. The damage was about $5,600. The other party's insurance company paid me an additional $2,400 in diminsihed value. In GA they are required to pay diminished value, but only if you ask will they pay. My dealer took the insurance proceeds and diminshed value settlement and paid off my lease with AHC. My new payment stayed the same so it worked out OK.
You need to talk to your own insurance company for advice.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

Y'know, I thought of this thread on my way into work this morning. Some woman in a Volvo XC90 was tailgating me REALLY close on a city street in traffic. Or on second thought, I'm not sure what kind of Volvo it was, couldn't tell because she was SO CLOSE up my tailpipe and the car was still freakin' huge in my rearview mirror!).

Anyway, I was really paranoid, with all the news and pictures from accidents lately (especially with new TSXs - mine's still only a month old!), having this woman tailgate me in her big bulky Volvo, not paying attention every time traffic was stopping, she nearly crashed into me every time! Then at one stop light, I realized she was paying more attention to the kid in her front passenger's seat (looked about 5 years old)!! Isn't that illegal!? The next chance I got, I turned onto a side road and went around traffic, just to get away from her. What is UP with people???
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Advanced

So the dealer finally fixed all my insurance information. And they still won't admit they messed up. The insurance company was appalled they sold me a car with no insurance. Amazing.

And now the dealer is trying to convince me to have the car repaired at Acura. He reminds me the car will have a bad carfax now, and its important the repairs are done by Acura to try to retain its value. blah blah. ((i still haven't received my survey call from Acura corporate, so you'd think he'd be kissing my ass. I'm going to tear him up on that survey.))

Also, my insurance agent said a diminished value claim is not possible in my state of New York. Its only in GA, and NC? Oh well, i tried. I just want the car fixed so I can enjoy it again.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
talk about mudflaps....

So the dealer finally fixed all my insurance information. And they still won't admit they messed up. The insurance company was appalled they sold me a car with no insurance. Amazing.

And now the dealer is trying to convince me to have the car repaired at Acura. He reminds me the car will have a bad carfax now, and its important the repairs are done by Acura to try to retain its value. blah blah. ((i still haven't received my survey call from Acura corporate, so you'd think he'd be kissing my ass. I'm going to tear him up on that survey.))

Also, my insurance agent said a diminished value claim is not possible in my state of New York. Its only in GA, and NC? Oh well, i tried. I just want the car fixed so I can enjoy it again.
Unless your particular Acura dealership has a bodyshop, they are probably going to subcontract a lot of the work to someone else anyway. He just wants a bit of the $$$.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
私はより良い

I'm going to tear him up on that survey.))
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
sorry to hear that and welcome.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX2345
When we got out to exchange info I was yelling and cussing at his ass. He was concerned about his 2 week old baby. I was like I dont give a fuck about your 2 week of baby, you just hit my 2 week old car.
While I understand the pain of getting hit, and the other driver's negligence causing it, this is someone's life we're talking about.
A newborn child versus a replaceable, inanimate object. Show some compassion.

The society we live in these days...
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Just a quick question for all you folks out there.. back in Vancouver, Canada, we have insurance that you pay about $60-70 more per year for a max of two years if you buy a new car. This insurance will pay for your diminished value of your car if you totalled it, in essence, you get a brand new car.

When I got here in Tennessee, I looked for an insurance company that would offer similar insurance. They call it gap insurance. I immediately jumped on it. Not all Insurance companies offer this much to my surprise! That's why I'm with Allstate. I'm in 'good hands'..

Guess the point here is or my question is: ISN'T IT AUTOMATIC TO BUY GAP INSURANCE IF YOU'VE JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR??
Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by TSX2345
Seriously? You equate being upset for some minor damage (not even worth repairing, according to you) to a new father being worried about the well-being of his newborn baby, after an accident that could have been much worse? Come on, man, you obviously 1) don't have kids, and 2) lack the appreciation of what it means to be responsible for someone else's life, and 3) seriously lack empathy for your fellow humans.

Another thing: what does yelling and cussing at the other driving give you? Was he driving recklessly? If not, the guy obviously didn't see you, and some paint was traded... now, there's a good reason to verbally abuse someone...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
Seriously? You equate being upset for some minor damage (not even worth repairing, according to you) to a new father being worried about the well-being of his newborn baby, after an accident that could have been much worse? Come on, man, you obviously 1) don't have kids, and 2) lack the appreciation of what it means to be responsible for someone else's life, and 3) seriously lack empathy for your fellow humans.

Another thing: what does yelling and cussing at the other driving give you? Was he driving recklessly? If not, the guy obviously didn't see you, and some paint was traded... now, there's a good reason to verbally abuse someone...
Yeah I agree with you here. Sometimes I have a short temper but getting angry doesn't really solve whats already said and done...vice versa. It always takes the bigger man to just put all things aside and think about the well being of others. Material possessions can be replaced / repaired...lives can't be replaced.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
East Coast Crew

I thought it was a woman in the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: My 1 week old TSX in an accident....