MPH on break-in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPH on break-in...

I know that I am revisiting a topic that seems to come up way to much...engine break-in. I actually did some searches and found Kurt and ClutchPerformer's threads on breaking in the engine( by the way)...however I could not find advice when it actually came to MPH when you are highway driving. I read the owner's manual too and didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I am blind and did not see it. Basically I want to know if there is a MPH barrier you should try and stay under when it comes to highway driving for the first couple hundred miles or so? You always hear people say to keep in at 65mph for the first 600 miles or so when driving on the highway...is that accurate or just some old wive's tale? I have been keeping my RPM's at 3K and under on acceleration from stop with no high revving and no extremely hard stopping. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Apex Clipper

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MadDog_NC
I know that I am revisiting a topic that seems to come up way to much...engine break-in. I actually did some searches and found Kurt and ClutchPerformer's threads on breaking in the engine( by the way)...however I could not find advice when it actually came to MPH when you are highway driving. I read the owner's manual too and didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I am blind and did not see it. Basically I want to know if there is a MPH barrier you should try and stay under when it comes to highway driving for the first couple hundred miles or so? You always hear people say to keep in at 65mph for the first 600 miles or so when driving on the highway...is that accurate or just some old wive's tale? I have been keeping my RPM's at 3K and under on acceleration from stop with no high revving and no extremely hard stopping. Any help would be appreciated.
MPH isn't the factor, it's the RPM that coincides with a given MPH...

First 1-200 miles don't rev the engine past 2k RPM,
2-300 miles, don't rev past 3k RPM
3-400 miles, don't rev past 4k RPM
4-500 miles, don't rev past 5k RPM
5-600 miles, don't rev past 6k RPM
6-700 miles, engage VTEC but not gratuitously

Brake bedding in process- Getting on the brakes hard is actually good. The hotter the pad gets, the faster it cooks away the resins that bind the brake compound together. However, DO NOT come to a complete stop after hard braking! Go/find an empty road/area where you can perform 60mph-10mph stops repeatedly. Do about 8-10 HARD (ABS activated) 60mph-10mph "stops" 1 after the other. You'll most likely smell the brake pads, don't worry, it's aforementioned resins "cooking" away. Again, do not come to a complete stop. If you need to stop for some reason bring it down to approximately 1-2mph and use hand/parking brake to bring the car to a halt. Stopping the car can warp the front rotors while hot and/or transmit melting resin to the rotor.

After initial 8-10 "stops" find a road/highway where you can completely cool the brakes off. Get on road/highway and drive about 70-75mph for a good 10 minutes.

Repeat the 8-10 "stops" and cool down run one to two more times and your brakes will be properly bedded in. Repeat process when changing pads and rotors in the future.

NEVER, wash your car while brakes are hot, this will warp your rotors and will eventually lead to cracking as well.

Hope this helps and happy motoring.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Not that I don't believe you Canyonball, but the Acurazine FAQ states that you should avoid hard braking during the break-in period..

Has anyone done a poll to see what the general consensus is on brake bedding in? The internet is a great place where everyone can be an expert.. Technically, doing a poll means nothing b/c anyone could vote however they want but it would give a more concise forum for recommendations..

I just want my new baby to last as long as possible..
Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog, The RPMS are what you need to worry about! See Canyons chart and drive all weekend long so you don't have to worry about it next week!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by glacius
You bought a honda, you already took care of that one.

I think you just need to drive your car moderately for the first 600-1000 miles and everything will be just fine.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Apex Clipper

Not that I don't believe you Canyonball, but the Acurazine FAQ states that you should avoid hard braking during the break-in period..

Has anyone done a poll to see what the general consensus is on brake bedding in? The internet is a great place where everyone can be an expert.. Technically, doing a poll means nothing b/c anyone could vote however they want but it would give a more concise forum for recommendations..

This process was brought to my attention through the manual that came with my StopTech kit. Similar instructions were given to me with my AEM front and rear brakes for my Integra. I believe you could also find it @
HTML Code:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical/
Old 04-27-2005, 09:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Canyonball

The car barely moves below 2K.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by domn

The car barely moves below 2K.
lol, I hear ya'.
I suppose if that isn't possible, you could sit in your driveway/parking lot and keep the rpm's at that level for a cerain time interval.

I forget where I read that procedure, but it's for proper cam/valvetrain break-in.

It can be done while driving, I did it, but you won't be going anywhere fast, and the people behind you might get a little pissed. lol, I was passed more than a few times under "acceleration", but I layed down a lot of money for my baby and I'm not gonna' compromise her for someones impatience.

Besides, "alot of people are in a hurry just to wait!" lol (someone brought that to my attention and it's pretty funny if you think about it...)
Old 04-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the info guys, this forum continues to be a treasure chest of data for n00bs and experts alike..

Here's what I gathered to formulate my opinion on braking:

From StopTech FAQ
FAQ #2: What happens if I can’t do the bed-in right away?

Often times, weather or other conditions can prevent one from fully bedding-in the brakes before having to drive the car. Fortunately, this is not a dire situation. If you are running new street/performance pads and rotors, remember that they are designed for the street and will slowly bed-in by themselves over time. Typically just a few stops from moderate speeds will start the bed-in process for normal driving.

In general, as long as the brakes are not overheated, you can drive them at normal street limits indefinitely without worrying about a formal bed-in. It’s only when you get them good and hot that a fully bedded-in system becomes so important. This is why we recommend a slightly more aggressive bed-in procedure than most…we know performance brake customers are not “normal” and typically can’t wait to try their new brakes at speed.
Reading that, it sounds like Canyonball's process is not wrong, it's just more for those who intend on using their brakes a bit harder than the average user.. Bedding in your brakes can happen naturally through normal braking according to this FAQ..

I think once I get my TSX (in 2 weeks ) I will break-in the engine as I've read on the forums for the first 600-1000 miles and use the brakes like I normally would, maybe a little more gingerly while breaking in my engine..

- g
Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Racer

yea i can never understand the guys while im driving to work through the city who like to ride my ass when the light coming up is clearly red and wont turn green for another 4 min. I guess using gas wisely and just rolling to the light isn't smart enough for some people.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Canyonball
MPH isn't the factor, it's the RPM that coincides with a given MPH...

2-300 miles, don't rev past 3k RPM
3-400 miles, don't rev past 4k RPM
4-500 miles, don't rev past 5k RPM
5-600 miles, don't rev past 6k RPM
6-700 miles, engage VTEC but not gratuitously

I would also add that you want to vary the RPMs as much as possible. So even if you're keeping them below, say, 3000 don't get on the highway and just sit at 2300. Its best to exercise the engine at all RPMs and city driving, where you go through all the gears, is actually better for that purpose.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Apex Clipper

Thanks for all the info guys, this forum continues to be a treasure chest of data for n00bs and experts alike..

Here's what I gathered to formulate my opinion on braking:

From StopTech FAQ

Reading that, it sounds like Canyonball's process is not wrong, it's just more for those who intend on using their brakes a bit harder than the average user.. Bedding in your brakes can happen naturally through normal braking according to this FAQ..

I think once I get my TSX (in 2 weeks ) I will break-in the engine as I've read on the forums for the first 600-1000 miles and use the brakes like I normally would, maybe a little more gingerly while breaking in my engine..

- g

There you go, I never read that part in the tech section, and yes, I was eager . Good luck and happy motoring...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by jlukja

I would also add that you want to vary the RPMs as much as possible. So even if you're keeping them below, say, 3000 don't get on the highway and just sit at 2300. Its best to exercise the engine at all RPMs and city driving, where you go through all the gears, is actually better for that purpose.
Good point and well taken...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i hit the governed top speed the first day i had the car.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i hit the governed top speed the first day i had the car.
lol WTF... You're kidding right?

I got my Integra up to 152mph w/ about 1-200 rpm left and traffic coming up real fast... that was with about 30k miles on a blown motor...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the knowledge...this will only help my TSX in the long run!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Got Ramen?

Canyonball, good info.

altho i think i might have did some no-no's like hitting 4000 rpm at one time... but last night i was modulating different speeds since my friend told me i should be doing that. i haven't gone beyond 70mph on the freeway yet.

man...i dunno if i can handle driving under 2000 rpm for the first 200 miles. that's torture!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TypeRS
Canyonball, good info.

altho i think i might have did some no-no's like hitting 4000 rpm at one time... but last night i was modulating different speeds since my friend told me i should be doing that. i haven't gone beyond 70mph on the freeway yet.

man...i dunno if i can handle driving under 2000 rpm for the first 200 miles. that's torture!

Yeah....as was stated above I think the 2K RPM is next to impossible. That is barely getting the car going. I could see possibly 3K and under for the first 400 miles or so.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Got Ramen?

Yeah....as was stated above I think the 2K RPM is next to impossible. That is barely getting the car going. I could see possibly 3K and under for the first 400 miles or so.

we'd be driving slower than most grannies out there then. it's possible to go that low but it'll take awhile for the tsx to get up to speed.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Keep it under 3500-4000 the first 600 miles varying the RPMs (don't sit that long on any) and no WOT and you will be fine. After that let it rip.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"don't sit that long on any"

Could you define "long" 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
send me a link to JDM??

I did my best... although I know I popped above 3500 a few times. I couldn't help it I swear the car begs you to do it...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
I did my best... although I know I popped above 3500 a few times. I couldn't help it I swear the car begs you to do it...
And if you don't pay attention to the gauges you can find yourself speeding quite easily too.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Got Ramen?

omg...i tried keeping revs at ~2000 on my way to work. it took me a minute or so to get up to 50-60mph. there are times it had to go 2500 but yea, it's doable, but insanely slow. I think ill try to keep revs under 3000

what does "WOT" mean?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts

we'd be driving slower than most grannies out there then. it's possible to go that low but it'll take awhile for the tsx to get up to speed.
Plenty of those grannies here in Florida...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Instructor

WOT = wide open throttle

- g
Old 04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
My Love & My Life

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
i know the feeling
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

omg...i tried keeping revs at ~2000 on my way to work. it took me a minute or so to get up to 50-60mph. there are times it had to go 2500 but yea, it's doable, but insanely slow. I think ill try to keep revs under 3000

what does "WOT" mean?

"Wide open throttle" WOT

Just don't floor it. Especially if you have to floor it at a lower gear (in order to keep RPMs down) just to get up to highway speed. That would be worse than getting the RPMs high. Keep it under 4000 RPMs as much as possible. That should be easy since I can do about 80 mph and keep it under 4000.

I also know some people that think you should drive a car hard from day one, but I chose to follow the manual and dealer's advice.

If you do a search there are many threads on this subject.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Apex Clipper

Canyonball, good info.

LOL, trust me, so have I . And to tell you the truth, I engaged VTEC before 400 miles once. But for the most part, I did maintain those low RPM's.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Apex Clipper

LOL, tell me about it. However, I'm not too sure which one, but I did get this info off of a Cam Manufacturer, possibly Crane... Not too sure.

It is your car so drive at your discretion. I'd rather be safe than sorry...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you found my earlier post regarding proper break-in procedures, but I almost forgot to tell you that once you're done with that....feel free to open 'er up like I do: