Modifying a Auto TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifying a Auto TSX

Hey guys, I am new here as you can see. I don't know if this is the right spot to make a new thread, so i apologize in advance. Question I have is do i modify a 2006-08 automatic tsx which has a sport-shift? It was between a TL or a TSX, and i chose the TSX for many reasons. First its the gas, im a 18yr old student. Second is it has a sportier look, and love the body. But, the problem is I'm not a huge fan of and manual transmission. I live in Cali where manual isn't needed. Its going to be my daily driven ride. I want to mod it just for the look but also add on some not special mods, like the headers, cold air intake, exhaust. And mod the exterior with some nice rims, lower, and other touch ups. I'm not planning to use this car to race, just for look and maybe a few car shows. I know i will probably get a lot of sh*t talking for modding an auto. So the question, is it a rice and is it not worth doing it? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The 1st gen TSX forum is probably a better place to discuss this. From personal experience however, the performance with a CAI, exhaust, and heads, it doesn't really turn the car around as far as torque goes where you feel the oomph. But then again I had mine in MT, not a slushbox. My personal advice, keep it stock, save your money and spend it on your insurance etc.

Last edited by CAgine; 08-15-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by ThaTsxGuy
Hey guys, I am new here as you can see. I don't know if this is the right spot to make a new thread, so i apologize in advance. Question I have is do i modify a 2006-08 automatic tsx which has a sport-shift? It was between a TL or a TSX, and i chose the TSX for many reasons. First its the gas, im a 18yr old student. Second is it has a sportier look, and love the body. But, the problem is I'm not a huge fan of and manual transmission. I live in Cali where manual isn't needed. Its going to be my daily driven ride. I want to mod it just for the look but also add on some not special mods, like the headers, cold air intake, exhaust. And mod the exterior with some nice rims, lower, and other touch ups. I'm not planning to use this car to race, just for look and maybe a few car shows. I know i will probably get a lot of sh*t talking for modding an auto. So the question, is it a rice and is it not worth doing it? Please let me know. Thanks!
First welcome to AZ.

No one will give you shit for modding Auto since most of people here have Auto

If you are planning to stick around, i would give you a few pointers:

1. They are wheels, not rims. Rims = OOOO
2. Text in bold tell me that you never had a manual car before. Maybe you test drove it or tried to learn.
3. Car shows are so 2002, well you are 18..
4. It is your car. mod it however you want (for show and no go or no show all go)
5. is it worth it? modding cars are NEVER worth it but you do it because you like it not because it will make you car worth more $$$.
6. basic bolt-ons will not give you any significant performance gain on your TSX, (manual or auto) but you'll do it only if you like modding.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
First, welcome to AZ.

Second, no one will give you crap for modding a 1G automatic TSX.

Third, I have moved your thread to the 1G TSX forum so you can see what others have done to theirs.

Last, learn to drive a manual car and you will understand why so many swear by them.

Have fun!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
TSXguy, modding is very personal.

why not tell us your goals for the car?
what do you want to do?
what is your end goal?

once you have those figured out, modding comes easy.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I kept my mods on my 06 5AT to:

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications: K/N drop in air filter, remote start
Suspension Modifications: A-Spec suspension and Progress RSB, HeelToe HTSpec ultimate Camber Kit combo, Fastline Adjustable Powerlinks for sway bar
Wheels/Tires Modifications: 17 inch ASA AR1 chrome rims with Conti DWS, painted calipers (black)
Interior/Exterior Modifications: Interior: Metal trim kit, Acura sport pedals, black all season floor mats, 350Z cargo net, Acura OEM cargo net, black trunk tray, 35% window tint, LED interior light kit, LED back up lights and USAspec iPod adaptor.
Exterior: A-spec front/rear/side body kit, rear wing spoiler, clear bra on front/side mirrors/headlights/fogs, door edge molding, and sun roof air defector.

I've spent around +$6500 in the last 8 years on mods/labor for my TSX. The blue book value is still the same as a 100% stock 06 TSX with Navi. I kept the engine stock because it was a 5AT. Other than a supercharger or turbo, engine mods will cost more than the return on HP with a 5AT. The TSX is a great daily driver and it will take care of you until you grad from college. I would look into something like a S2000, Civic Si or Accord Coupe to mod for a show car and keep the TSX and the reliable daily driver. I would still add mods like wheels/tires, suspension, tint, brakes, etc...; especially if those things are showing wear/tear.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to this forum also. I bought our first Acura 4 weeks ago, a 2005 Artic Blue TSX with the shiftable automatic, and love it as a platform! Would love it more with 100% more HP :-) At the end of the day, do your research and make your own decisions. I can only tell you what I have done so far and why. The car needed tires, so I went with Black Motegi Racing MR118 18x8s with 225/45r18s tires. I wanted better handling and a stance without a harsh ride, so I went with Eibach Prokit springs (lowering f 1.6", r 1.4") with KYB shocks to control the new springs. These changes removed the sloppiness from the suspension while remaining streetable, and gave the car the look I (not others) wanted. The car was too quiet so on went a Skunk2 cat-back dual exhaust system after listening to it and competing systems on youtube. I added 20% rear / 35% front window tint. This has completed phase I, next year I will add forced induction with proper tuning if I can allocate the $$s. In the meantime and I am reading, and re-reading, as many tuning and performance articles as I can related to the Gen I TSX and the k24a2 motor. Enjoy your trip and your destination!