for modders: does your insurance agent know that u've modified your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for modders: does your insurance agent know that u've modified your car?

i've never told my insurance agent (Safeco) that i've modified my tsx and i've been with them for one year, recently they found out that my car is modified and they were quite mad at it, my agent told me that Safeco will not insure for any modder (what!?) so they are gonna make me switch to another insurance company, and...my agent wanted me to provide her w/ the recepit showing the values of every single mod that i've done to my car ASAP

so...i am gonna switch to another insurance company shortly and let the carrier know about my mods and values, then what will happen!?

will my insurance rate go up a lot (values of mods i have = + 10000 USD)? how much approximately if you had the same kinda experience before?

by letting them know about the mods/values first, will the insurance company cover in full price for the aftermarket parts if something bad happen?

if the insurance company doesn't know about the mods at first, and mods got damaged later on, will they even cover for those mods?

for modders like you, what do you guys usually do about insurance? do you let your insurance carrier know about your mods at all!?

and oh...which insurance company will still offer a "good rate" for modders? if there's any?

these questions may sound a bit dumb, but honestly i haven't faced any situations like this before, help me out here
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dagigu
i've never told my insurance agent (Safeco) that i've modified my tsx and i've been with them for one year, recently they found out that my car is modified and they were quite mad at it, my agent told me that Safeco will not insure for any modder (what!?) so they are gonna make me switch to another insurance company, and...my agent wanted me to provide her w/ the recepit showing the values of every single mod that i've done to my car ASAP

so...i am gonna switch to another insurance company shortly and let the carrier know about my mods and values, then what will happen!?

will my insurance rate go up a lot (values of mods i have = + 10000 USD)? how much approximately if you had the same kinda experience before?

by letting them know about the mods/values first, will the insurance company cover in full price for the aftermarket parts if something bad happen?

if the insurance company doesn't know about the mods at first, and mods got damaged later on, will they even cover for those mods?

for modders like you, what do you guys usually do about insurance? do you let your insurance carrier know about your mods at all!?

and oh...which insurance company will still offer a "good rate" for modders? if there's any?

these questions may sound a bit dumb, but honestly i haven't faced any situations like this before, help me out here
Actually, these are really good questions. Ironically, I was talking to my agent this weekend about these very questions. She is a family member so she gave me the straight dope. While every insurance company is different, most will insure the costs of the mods if you give them the information...that's the good news. The bad news is they have a chart/list/spreadsheet that underwriters look at a determine if the mod increases HP by a certain amount, or if the HP goes over certain limit...(determined by some anal actuary sitting in a dark cubicle who knows nothing about mods), they will put you in a higher category. I informed her of my mods (CAI, Sway bars) and she is going to find out from the underwriters if that puts me in a different category. I also asked about insurance when solo racing, autocrossing, time trialing, etc. She is going to verify but highly doubts there could be any coverage in a situation with the word "racing" involved, even if it is just solo racing. I have approximately the same value involved in mods as you, so I'll post my agents response once I get it.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Um, pretty standard practice for the insurance companies. If you "soup up" your car, they assume that you did it to race a insane speeds and generally behave in a completely unsafe manner. Sadly, there is some truth to this.... I had checked with my Allstate agent, and they would be "reluctant" to insure my TSX if I aftermarket turbo it (but a turbo from the factory is OK?!!) .... A hondata tune-up is OK, though. Good luck! Share your experiences when you finally get your situation resolved, I'm betting may folks aren't aware of your problems.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gpsiir
Um, pretty standard practice for the insurance companies. If you "soup up" your car, they assume that you did it to race a insane speeds and generally behave in a completely unsafe manner. Sadly, there is some truth to this.... I had checked with my Allstate agent, and they would be "reluctant" to insure my TSX if I aftermarket turbo it (but a turbo from the factory is OK?!!) .... A hondata tune-up is OK, though. Good luck! Share your experiences when you finally get your situation resolved, I'm betting may folks aren't aware of your problems.
hey man havnt see you around in a while.

because i am an agent let me say that we can write cars with modifications. we cant insure anything with NOS or anything that would significantly increase the power from stock. however what someone puts on their car and does not inform me about is out of my control. we cannot just not pay a claim if you wreck the car but i wouldnt expect that your mods would be covered for the simple fact insurance companies pay claims based on the actual cash value of your car. ACV means what the kelly blue book or other resourced say the market value of your car is. they will usually make exceptions for wheels and other cosmedic upgrades but i wouldnt ask for a replacement turbo.

now as for what i will personally insure. i have friends that i know very well who may have mods on their car but i know never take it to the track and avoid street racing. since in a sence i have to underwrite the business and can make a better judgement call of each situation i can choose or choose not to insure a car based on the situation.
if some young punk looking kid comes to me asking for insurance and i know he is going to be a fast and furious driver i wont insure him.

someone like GPSIR whom i have met and know and understand him as a person may get an exception. i know he is of good moral character and would not do anything stupid. as long as i know of no mods when i write it there is nothing stopping me from doing so.

as for racing. dont expect your insurance to pay any claim at a racetrack. if you read your policy it usually clearly states that damage caused as a result of a race is usually not covered.
also i belive it may not be written but as basic laws of insurance insurance companies are not obligated to pay a claim if damage occures while committing a crime.
1 example i know for sure
1. if your meth lab blows up your house dont expect your insurance to pay for it.
2. i am not sure and have always wondered if your running from the cops after committing a felony and you crash your car i dont think insurance will pay for it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camoe
Actually, these are really good questions. Ironically, I was talking to my agent this weekend about these very questions. She is a family member so she gave me the straight dope. While every insurance company is different, most will insure the costs of the mods if you give them the information...that's the good news. The bad news is they have a chart/list/spreadsheet that underwriters look at a determine if the mod increases HP by a certain amount, or if the HP goes over certain limit...(determined by some anal actuary sitting in a dark cubicle who knows nothing about mods), they will put you in a higher category. I informed her of my mods (CAI, Sway bars) and she is going to find out from the underwriters if that puts me in a different category. I also asked about insurance when solo racing, autocrossing, time trialing, etc. She is going to verify but highly doubts there could be any coverage in a situation with the word "racing" involved, even if it is just solo racing. I have approximately the same value involved in mods as you, so I'll post my agents response once I get it.

if your agent has issues come see me. send me a PM for my number. since your in colorado i can insure you but i would like to know a little more about your situation first.
just for the record we have the lowest rates in the entire state of colorado. if you call ill explain why.
we also refund 25% of your money every year after 3 years if your claim free.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have read my policy cover to cover and I haven't seen anything in there to suggest that I can't mod my car. Does that mean I'm safe or are there some loopholes I should look out for?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
if your agent has issues come see me. send me a PM for my number. since your in colorado i can insure you but i would like to know a little more about your situation first.
just for the record we have the lowest rates in the entire state of colorado. if you call ill explain why.
we also refund 25% of your money every year after 3 years if your claim free.
Thanks, I'll let you know what she says. 25% after 3 years....damn, I've been claim and ticket free for 10 years...that could've bought me more mods. BTW, that's some serious db for 2 10" subs...you could do internal damage with that setup... I'm a bit of a bass freak myself; I play electric bass through a Bag End 2*10 sub with 900 watts and have REL and Velodyne subs for home theater for the pure 18-100 Hz low end, but I digress and don't mean to
Old 03-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I have read my policy cover to cover and I haven't seen anything in there to suggest that I can't mod my car. Does that mean I'm safe or are there some loopholes I should look out for?

Ask your agent, but I know that I didn't see anything specific in my policy as well, but my understanding at the time was that the insurance company has the right (and I'd guess conversely you have the obligation) to know what it is insuring. Think of it this way, let's say you love your TSX so much that you get some solid platinum rims (gold would be too soft ) worth $100,000, and the car gets ripped off. When you turn the claim into your agent (including the rims they didn't know about), what do you think will happen? Bass Mechanic, care to comment?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Photography Nerd

I really don't care if my mods are covered, I just don't want to have my policy revoked because I had mods on my car. I've heard of people that got in an accident and they weren't covered because their lowering springs were considered "dangerous modifications" by their insurance company.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really don't care if my mods are covered, I just don't want to have my policy revoked because I had mods on my car. I've heard of people that got in an accident and they weren't covered because their lowering springs were considered "dangerous modifications" by their insurance company.
I think it depends on the mods. An insurance company might frown upon mods that increase the HP output (lets you drive faster) but might be OK with the rear sway bar (more neutral handling = safer?).
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Top notch 6MT

Actually, these are really good questions.

Never actually thought about these (though I never seriously modded any car, TSX shall be different!). I need to go to my agent within next couple weeks for my house insurance, they do my auto as well; will definitely ask them about cars with mods.

Anyone else from BC may already know about these? Here in BC our auto insurance is quite monopolized until recent years... not sure if that's good or bad.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Racer

guys, thanks a lot for all the valuable info!

it seems to me that no modders here report about mods before purchasing the insurance, i wonder how much will the rate go up if the insurance company knows about the mods, but i guess the case will be different w/ different companies huh.

i'll go see my agent within the next couple of days, i'll let you guys know ho it goes.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

it seems to me that no modders here report about mods before purchasing the insurance, i wonder how much will the rate go up if the insurance company knows about the mods, but i guess the case will be different w/ different companies huh.

i'll go see my agent within the next couple of days, i'll let you guys know ho it goes.
I subscribe that its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission I made a claim when I had my intake and my agent saw it an noted it on my claim. My insurance proceeded to go down next time, who am I to complain. I have never told my insurance what I have, but I would only tell them expensive things, wheels and body kit. No reason to insure spring, sway bars etc. that are cheap to replace.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gpsiir
Ask your agent, but I know that I didn't see anything specific in my policy as well, but my understanding at the time was that the insurance company has the right (and I'd guess conversely you have the obligation) to know what it is insuring. Think of it this way, let's say you love your TSX so much that you get some solid platinum rims (gold would be too soft ) worth $100,000, and the car gets ripped off. When you turn the claim into your agent (including the rims they didn't know about), what do you think will happen? Bass Mechanic, care to comment?

exactly, you guys have to realise that the premium cost for a particular vehicle has been determined based on the cars crash worthiness, replacement cost and cost of parts. also things like its size and weight are considered. for an example a dodge ram truck carries a higher liability limit than a TSX for the simple fact it will roll right over another car and cause a lot of injury to the occupants of the other car. verses the TSX.

also the way that car is generally driven, like a vette is going to have a higher insurance cost due to the fact many are probly wrecked because of the way they are driven.

so taking all this info into account you have a family sedan that cost a max of about 30k. it gets wrecked and all the syudden to replace that car with mods that werent disclosed. you cannot expect your insurance company to pay for all of it.
imagine for a minute it was YOUR money and YOUR insurance company.
would you think it was fair of the persons you insured decided to drive their cars like a fast and furious racer? what if they told you i lost my turbo, this, that, the other costing $xyz.00 but you were never told about it.
you need to consider that every time one of the people i insure gets behind the wheel the risk for shelling out a claim is riding right in your own very hands.

just last night on my way home i saw a drunk almost roll a brand new ISUSU AXIOM on academy. we went right over the curb at about 35 mph over a bush and got airborne. blew both tires on the left side. trashed the car. i hope he had insurance. i followed him and called the cops. he looked like he was about to cross into oncomming traffic he was so wasted.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

it's not so much the rates going up but more like they wont or dont have to pay the claim.
put it this way. i am usually writing insurance for people who have had a bad experience with their companies from the way a claim was paid or not paid. i hear all the stories and as a result i am writing a lot of business.
keep 1 thing in mind. if you have a claim and depending on if you had the unfortunate luck of picking one of many companies i wont mention, keep in mind that if there is a way thoes companies will walk out of paying the claim they usually will.
if there is any legit technicality they can use they will use it. they know worst case scenerio unless push comes to shove they may be able to avoid paying the claim. even if you win a few disputes and the policy holder doesnt persue the issue they save millions in the long run.
that is one of the reasons i love the fact we have a 5 star claims service. i have yet to see or hear a single time we didnt pay a legitimate claim.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll let you know what she says. 25% after 3 years....damn, I've been claim and ticket free for 10 years...that could've bought me more mods. BTW, that's some serious db for 2 10" subs...you could do internal damage with that setup... I'm a bit of a bass freak myself; I play electric bass through a Bag End 2*10 sub with 900 watts and have REL and Velodyne subs for home theater for the pure 18-100 Hz low end, but I digress and don't mean to
yes 25% back is a big deal i think to date we have paid back over 60 million in refunds. most my clients get between 5-700 bucks back every year. i got a few with more expensive houses and cars getting over 1k each year back. trust me when your getting 1k back every year you wont be making any claims short of your house burining down.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
exactly, you guys have to realise that the premium cost for a particular vehicle has been determined based on the cars crash worthiness, replacement cost and cost of parts. also things like its size and weight are considered. for an example a dodge ram truck carries a higher liability limit than a TSX for the simple fact it will roll right over another car and cause a lot of injury to the occupants of the other car. verses the TSX.

also the way that car is generally driven, like a vette is going to have a higher insurance cost due to the fact many are probly wrecked because of the way they are driven.

so taking all this info into account you have a family sedan that cost a max of about 30k. it gets wrecked and all the syudden to replace that car with mods that werent disclosed. you cannot expect your insurance company to pay for all of it.
imagine for a minute it was YOUR money and YOUR insurance company.
would you think it was fair of the persons you insured decided to drive their cars like a fast and furious racer? what if they told you i lost my turbo, this, that, the other costing $xyz.00 but you were never told about it.
you need to consider that every time one of the people i insure gets behind the wheel the risk for shelling out a claim is riding right in your own very hands.

just last night on my way home i saw a drunk almost roll a brand new ISUSU AXIOM on academy. we went right over the curb at about 35 mph over a bush and got airborne. blew both tires on the left side. trashed the car. i hope he had insurance. i followed him and called the cops. he looked like he was about to cross into oncomming traffic he was so wasted.

So what about cancelling policies for mods that were on the car? If someone were to get in an accident can the insurance company deny the claim if the owner has altered something like lowering springs?
If so, what mods would be a problem?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Photography Nerd

This is what I'm worried about...

Originally Posted by AutoWeek April 2, 2004

No Insurance Coverage: Forming A Policy Against Tuners
Insurance—Or Lack Of It—May Spell The End For Sport Compact Enthusiasts

By ANDREW LUU

Canadian Ron Shortt is a far cry from the fast and furious type: The 47-year-old Toronto man drives a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire back and forth to his job as a computer information technology specialist, and his driving record is snow-white clean—no accidents, no tickets.

None of that mattered when Shortt decided to dress up his Sunfire with off-the-shelf, bolt-on interior parts, special wheels, a trick exhaust and lowered springs. In response, his insurer of 15 years, State Farm, canceled his policy, citing the lowered springs as a big no-no.

As with muscle cars of yore, which faded away as much because of jacked-up insurance rates as the triple whammy of high gas prices, government emissions rules and safety regulations, insurance companies are embarking on a collision course with the booming population of drivers who insist on tuning their sport compact rides.

“The insurance industry may be able to accomplish what the police could never do,” says Shortt, “by making all these cars illegal to be on the streets because they can’t get coverage.” Shortt eventually wound up back with State Farm, but not before he reinstalled the factory springs and had the work verified by an insurance company adjuster.

Steve Budzinski of Ottawa also was dropped by State Farm because of performance upgrades to his Acura Integra Type-R. “My underwriter flat out told me it no longer wants to insure modified cars,” said Budzinski.

State Farm Canada spokes-man Derek Fee says the insurer has no blanket policy to refuse coverage to the sport compact segment, but he acknowledges some sport compact owners—particularly those involved in street racing—are a growing concern. “That subculture is causing difficulties for the rest,” Fee says.

In the United States, major insurers like AAA and State Farm say sport compacts aren’t a problem—at least not yet. State Farm spokeswoman Ana Compain-Romero says the company has no issues with minor upgrades such as lowered springs and tuned exhaust systems, but she recommends informing your agent about any modifications, especially when you go from minor to major. Changes discovered after the fact (say, after an accident when an owner is trying to collect against the policy) may void the coverage.

“Changes are subject to an agent taking a look and an underwriter deciding if we can extend coverage,” Compain-Romero says.

That kind of talk has some people worried Canada’s sport compact insurance woes could be a precursor of similar trouble in the United States. Steve McDonald, senior director of government affairs for the Specialty Equipment Market Association, says the aftermarket group is keeping an eye on the situation and gathering information.

“We’re not sure how widespread it is,” McDonald says. “We are alarmed by the possible implications of this.”

Meanwhile, auto manufacturers are powering ahead with plans for performance models, as well as building up their inventories of performance parts that can be used to turn their sport compact entries into tire-ripping street burners. Automakers contend they are merely responding to demand from customers who want performance.

Are they concerned about potential insurance pitfalls? “To a degree, yes,” says General Motors sport compact expert Bob Kern. “But 90 percent of kids say ‘So what?’ Most kids are dedicated to the cars and aren’t really reading the fine print. I think a lot of them don’t know they could invalidate their policies by modifying their cars.”
Old 03-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Instructor

when i had to fill out the forms.. ie projector into my av6, i put new headlight to replace leaking old ones - tyc oem (haha)

lower suspension - new suspension to replace old sagging ones - hr springs + tokico blues

i never mentioned any "performance parts"

though i never had a turbo or sc so..
Old 03-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ForceSHO
when i had to fill out the forms.. ie projector into my av6, i put new headlight to replace leaking old ones - tyc oem (haha)

lower suspension - new suspension to replace old sagging ones - hr springs + tokico blues

i never mentioned any "performance parts"

though i never had a turbo or sc so..
with the in mind...

new engine to replace one that died = comptech supercharged J30
Old 03-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

This is what I'm worried about...

well i was trying to not say the S, F word when i posted before but this is exactly the company i would have expected this from. i cant tell you the number of people i have talked to that complain of that company in particular finding ways of not paying claims.
they are also the most restrictive company i have seen for what they will and wont write.
i know of a personal story from a very reliable source where that company actually refused to pay a claim on a hail damaged roof for one of their insureds. they actually sent an adjuster to the home in question.
upon inspection of the roof determined that the damage was a result of the insured getting up on their roof with a ball pein hammer and damaging their own shingles.
yea right just like every other neighbor did to their roofs on the same day that they had a major hailstorm!

i dont know about you guys but i am glad i had sence enough to avoid that company both as a customer and as an agent!

i can honestly say that that company would be the first to back out of a claim wether justified or not. in my experiences with them their tactic seems to be to
1. deny any responcibility to pay the claim
2. accuse the insured
3. deny the claim
4. go to court and fight
5. deny the claim
6. if it looks like they might loose the case pay the claim

from what i have seen i know of 3 incidents out of 3 that have personally affected my agency against that company this was the way each was addressed.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

So what about cancelling policies for mods that were on the car? If someone were to get in an accident can the insurance company deny the claim if the owner has altered something like lowering springs?
If so, what mods would be a problem?
it is a real gray area. technically they are obligated to pay the claim. if you really pissed and moaned about it a few phone calls to the insurance commissioner and its likely they would cough up some money rather than have a complaint. also if it goes to court usually the court rules in the insureds favor.

unless your policy says they will deny a claim based on x, y, z it becomes an agruable point on a case by case basis.
i belive it is safe to assume that if you mod your car you are also self insuring thoes items. meaning insurance wouldnt and shouldnt be expected to pay for them.
now there are exceptions

with our insurance company we actually have a policy for classic, hot rods, modified and exoctic cars. you have to have the car appraised, it must be kept in a locked garage, it must be 25 years of age or older (unless exoctic like a lambo or ferrerri for example) and it cannot be driven more than 7500 miles per year.
you can list go fast parts on these cars but usually these cars are ownec by car enthousists that are a bit older than the street racer crowd. they are more of the show car crowd and only drive their cars on sundays.

on these cars we insure at the full appraised value of the car. as an agent i can appraise anything up to 15,000 on my own but over that i need a qualified appraiser with a background in classic and exotic cars.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Photography Nerd

Good info. Thanks Bass Mechanic!

Virtual rep points awarded.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow. we need to put a list on this board and peoples occupation or specialty. i mean right there i would never have even thought twice about putting a sway bar on my car and having it not covered...

thanks guys
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
with the in mind...

new engine to replace one that died = comptech supercharged J30
might have to call that flood damage... new engine + sc .. good one..
Old 03-18-2005, 02:49 AM
Racer

Bass Mechanic...
great info!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Top notch 6MT

update for BC

So I spoke to my insurance agent today. I am in BC, so this info is relevant to ICBC coverage.

The gist I got is that all street legal mods (including engine, suspension mods) do not void coverage. But coverage only covers the car's value as if it were in stock form. For covering $ spent on mods, one can optionally purchase extra coverage from ICBC.

So it's good news that mods don't void coverage