Memory seats question on 06 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memory seats question on 06 TSX

I just got my 06 TSX last week and had a question about the memory seat settings.

Does anyone know if the rear veiw mirrors are supposed to have memory on them to so that they adjust along with the seats?

I ask as I have a friend that owns a CL and he thought that the mirrors in the new TSX moved along with the memory seats.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Nope. The mirrors are not linked to the seat memory. Maybe for next year.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmetcalf
I just got my 06 TSX last week and had a question about the memory seat settings.

Does anyone know if the rear veiw mirrors are supposed to have memory on them to so that they adjust along with the seats?

I ask as I have a friend that owns a CL and he thought that the mirrors in the new TSX moved along with the memory seats.
No.

FYI, the key mod we did for the 04-05 TSXs does work for the 06 TSX though... thanks to Lagasi for verifying it.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Thats a shame as my wife likes to have her mirrors facing in so much you can see the side of the car and not much of the road!!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tmetcalf
Thats a shame as my wife likes to have her mirrors facing in so much you can see the side of the car and not much of the road!!
You need to explain to her that doing that creates big blind spots that can easily lead to an accident.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by STL
You need to explain to her that doing that creates big blind spots that can easily lead to an accident.

Yeah, tell her how it is. Let us know how that turns out . . .
Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock

LMAO
Old 01-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by STL
The only reason for having any part of your own car in your side mirrors is for that feeling of "comfort" of having your car as a point of reference, which isn't a good reason at all. It doesn't take long to get used to not seeing your car in the mirrors. It's much safer without, as you can see a lot more of the area around you.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:46 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock

If she's got a problem with accepting constructive criticsm based on logic then I cannot help with that. I admit, it's all about how you go about the suggestion though.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Instructor

I know the whole blind spot issue, and thats why I place the mirrors so that only the road is in veiw and not the car. I've also explained it to her numerous times but like swirlie said "Its a feeling of comfort of having your car as a point of reference". And I know its a bad reason, but women will be women !!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by STL
she .................................logic ..........................

Bwhaaaaa Haaaaaaaa (except for LuvMyTSX, who has proven to be cool and rational)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I bet if you could find some material on the issue (from a "trusted" source like AAA) she might finally be convinced.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Instructor

good point ! Will check !
Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Instructor

This is what one website said....

"Setting your mirrors
Here's the correct way to set your side mirrors to eliminate blindspots. Sit in the drivers' seat as you normally would, but move your head over to the left until it is resting on the side window glass. Now re-set your left mirror until you can just see a sliver of the left side of your car. For the right side mirror, position your head in the centre of the car (use the rear-view mirror mounting post as a guide) and then position the right mirror until you can again just barely see the right side of the car. That's it - no more blindspots.

However, it really isn't that easy. You will have to adjust your habits, and that will take a few weeks. At first you will be a bit disoriented when looking at your side mirrors, because that old familiar view of your door handles is gone. You now have a much wider field of rear-view vision, albeit without reference points. This takes some getting used to, but after driving with these settings for awhile you will quickly become very comfortable with the much wider range of rear side vision you now have."
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
IMO this is a "no win" situation. If she changes the mirrors after years of driving, and then has an accident...........well, let's just say it'll be ugly.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Well then, try doing it slowly. Set the mirrors without moving your head position. You'll get some benefit of a wider view, but not the full set. It won't be as dramatic a change. Once she's comfortable with that (maybe give it a few weeks), move the mirrors out further. It'll be smaller shifts, less disorienting initially.

Which reminds me, my mirrors need to be set wider. I haven't seen the sides of my car in the mirrors in years, but I've only recently heard of the "move your head out to the side" bit.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Instructor

For years I set my mirrors on my door handles, despite hearing the abberviated description of setting the side mirrors in Tmetcalf's post. I just didn't get it.

Then I encountered Car Talk's explanation:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/step1.html

They discuss the method (leaning your head against the window, etc.) but I really didn't get it without the graphics. The Step 2 adjustment (using a row of parked cars) really helped:

Step 1: Start by setting your rear-view mirror as you normally would.

Then, lean your head all the way to the left so it touches the driver's window. From that position, set your left side-view mirror so you can see the back corner of your car. Now lean the same distance the other way, and set your right side-view mirror the same way.

Now, here's what happens. When a car comes up behind you, you should first see it in your rear-view mirror. But as it passes you (let's say on your left), you'll see it move to the left side of your rear-view mirror. And as its left headlight disappears from your rear-view mirror, it should instantly show up in your left side-view mirror. There should be no delay. It should slip from one to the other, so you can always see it.

Step 2 - Left-Side Mirror Alignment: Set your left-side mirror so that as soon as the passing car's left, front headlight disappears from your rear-view mirror, it appears in your left-side mirror.

You might need to make some slight adjustments to your side-view mirrors to make everything line up perfectly. And pulling up next to a line of parked cars (to simulate another lane of traffic next to you) is a good way to do that.

Step 3 - Right-Side Mirror Alignment: Then do the same thing on the right.

Step 4: End result? No huge blind spots.

Driving with the mirrors this way takes some getting used to. You have to learn to rely on your rear-view mirror first. And you'll have to get used to what your side-view mirrors are now looking at. But, the good news is that your blind spot should now be gone!