Mazdaspeed 6 Eats TSX For Lunch?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazdaspeed 6 Eats TSX For Lunch?!?!

I just watched Driving Television this morning.

They did a review of the new Mazdaspeed 6. See video below.

http://www.drivingtelevision.ca/seg...sweek&segment=5

Fast forward almost to the end if you don't want to see the whole review.

They claim the Mazdaspeed 6 will eat our TSX for lunch.

BOO HISS BOO HISS!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
it doesn't take much to eat the tsx for lunch man, its not a fast car.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Yep, the TSX is maybe "quick", but not "fast".
Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.drivingtelevision.ca/segm...=323&segment=5

We didn't buy our cars to be fast...I'm more about looks, luxury, and refinement. I already expected the Mazda to be faster.

The way he says Mazda sounds wierd to me...in all my years, no one around here pronounces it like that lol
Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Horsepower : 274 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque : 280 lb-ft @ 3000rpm
Redline : unknown

thats for teh mazdaspeed 6, the tsx is what 210hp? the tsx wasnt built for speed, if thats why you bought a tsx, then you're in trouble
Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Let me help you!

He states that the car is $36,000 (the site is Canadian, so I guess it's Canadian dollars). I think that brings the price closer to the TL's price. In any event, I believe he's comparing a bare bones Mazda to an Acura with all the bells & whistles standards. If I bought any other car, I would have easily bought up all the other accessories to get what I wanted (Acura gave me everything I wanted standard)

By the way, the link is

http://www.drivingtelevision.ca/segmentviewer.php?episode=323&segment=5

(Automatic parsing sucks)
Old 06-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

They're not talking speed or performance...their talking value.

In Canada, the Mazda is $35,995 and the TSX (Non-Navi) is around $37,000.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Instructor

ohhh... prolly shulda looked at the link
Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by vidhartha
Horsepower : 274 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque : 280 lb-ft @ 3000rpm
Redline : unknown

thats for teh mazdaspeed 6, the tsx is what 210hp? the tsx wasnt built for speed, if thats why you bought a tsx, then you're in trouble
With those numbers, it would be better suited to head-to-head with the TL or 330i.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

tsx looks a lot better. IMo all of mazda's cars look horrible
Old 06-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ck123
tsx looks a lot better. IMo all of mazda's cars look horrible
Naaa, the Mazdaspeed6 looks nice. Im intrested to see how the Mazdaspeed3 turns out...
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
TSX - Luxury performance....a mature experience.

Mazdaspeed 6 - Family sedan performance....supposedly a no-holds-barred Mazda6.

Its obvious the way the Mazdaspeed 6, Jetta GLI, Altima SE-R, etc want to be portrayed. Black grills, lowered stance, hotter engines, more performance oriented. The TSX doesn't have that pretense, maybe a luxury pretense, but not a performance pretense. It handles sporty, has a willing if underpowered engine, and is still the best blend of all worlds for under 30k,, but appeals to slightly different audience than these. The demographics may overlap, but no TSX Type Rs (R Spec?) have been made by Acura yet.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by kenzo
Yep, the TSX is maybe "quick", but not "fast".
Wrong...the TSX is plenty fast, it's just not quick.

Quick implies speed within a period of time.

Fast implies top speed.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bbisaillon

When you consider what the Mazda lacks and the quality of the interiors, the TSX looks like a great value. Plus, they have very different focuses.

And don't just listen to the babbling of some silly TV personality. Instead, test drive the cars yourself and form your own opinions. I was never that impressed with the Mazdaspeed 6 after driving it.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

Okay, the Mazda 6, whether it has the L4 that was designed for a truck in the late 80's and then bored out, or the Ford V6, are not good vehicles. Mazda's have always had suspension issues with noise in the past, Mazda's also very noisy valve bodies, they use plastic that is suitable for lawn furniture and are certainly not the most efficient engines for their respective classes. This all amounts to a cheap vehicle. The TSX is a far more balanced car than the Speed and even contains aluminum components on the rear end setup; and the TSX doesn't need a steel bar in behind the backseat (which blocks the chance of a rear passthrough) to make up for a lack of body rigitity. I don't need a car that accelerates as quick as the Speed, I feel confident enough in my driving skills that I don't need that reserve. But Mazda is smart, much like the Dodge brand for Chrysler...stick a high output motor under the hood and screw the rest of the car's design materials and production because the consumer will love it! Trust me, people are stupid, I used to sell used cars and VW's were always great sellers! Anyways, those are my 2 cents. One last thing, that chick who co-host 'Drivers Television' is hot.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by bbisaillon

According to Acura's canadian website, the TSX (non-navi) is $35,900. Canadian Mazda says $35,995 for the Speed 6. So the non-navi is cheaper.

Speed6 has turbo, TSX doesn't. The 04 TSX has an available Supercharger kit which adds +50 hp I believe, so that would bring in the gap closer if both were FI.

The features that the TSX has over the Speed6 is:

heated mirrors, moonroof, ABS brakes, 8 more months covered by warranty, more cargo space.

Speed6 has all wheel drive, turbo, smaller turning radius, and slightly better fuel economy. ABS brakes is apparently not available???

I don't really have a need for AWD, and my last turbo car blew up while I was on the road (so I'm shaken on the reliability of turbo's). For me, the TSX is better. The comparison websites I checked out didn't even mention anything about HFL, so I don't know what other features they left out
Old 06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
According to Acura's canadian website, the TSX (non-navi) is $35,900. Canadian Mazda says $35,995 for the Speed 6. So the non-navi is cheaper.

Speed6 has turbo, TSX doesn't. The 04 TSX has an available Supercharger kit which adds +50 hp I believe, so that would bring in the gap closer if both were FI.

The features that the TSX has over the base Speed6 is:

heated mirrors, moonroof, ABS brakes, 8 more months covered by warranty, more cargo space, HandsfreeLink, memory power and heated seats, XM radio, VSA, dual zone climate control, leather, satellite radio, etc.

Speed6 has all wheel drive, turbo, smaller turning radius, and slightly better fuel economy.

I don't really have a need for AWD, and my last turbo car blew up while I was on the road (so I'm shaken on the reliability of turbo's). For me, the TSX is better. The comparison websites I checked out didn't even mention anything about HFL, so I don't know what other features they left out
Fixed...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
4th Gear

I wouldn't generalize the quality issues on the mazdaspeed6 too quickly....
This car is supposed to be the pride of mazda. It is made at mazda's plant in japan, not in michigan. I know where the car is made shouldn't make too much difference, but mazda has definately stressed that the mazdaspeed6 will be given more attention than other models.

I do agree with most of you, the only direct comparison between these two cars is the price.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 PM
TSX4EVR

We didn't buy our cars to be fast...I'm more about looks, luxury, and refinement. I already expected the Mazda to be faster.

The way he says Mazda sounds wierd to me...in all my years, no one around here pronounces it like that lol
That's how it is pronouced around here. Maz da. Perhaps it is a zed / zee thing.

I think that the TSX and the MazdaSpeed 6 can both be great cars. Without a doubt the TSX is more refined but if speed is more important perhaps the 6 is a better choice for them.

The TSX has more than enough practical speed for me ( acceleration for on ramps, highway passing and steep hill climbing).

There was a time that I considered the MazdaSpeed 6 (never test drove one because they hadn't come out yet) but the TSX was the better choice for me.

Excited
Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In the straight lines accelerating from a standstill yes, i'd say most cars have a good advantage over the TSX. From a roll, fewer, but still a lot have advantages over our rides. Through the twisties? For 4 door cars, there are few contenders left.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Speed6 has all wheel drive, turbo, smaller turning radius, and slightly better fuel economy. ABS brakes is apparently not available???
mazdaspeed 6 is rated at 19/25......our tsx's is rated at 22/31
Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i would've loved to have test drove the speed6...

i think it's a very nice competitor to the sti and evoIX.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:50 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I actually got to test drive one yesterday. It was VERY fast. It wouldve made mine run with its tell tucked! The Grand Touring Edition (32,000 OTD with Navi.) is equipt with Bi-Xenon heads, sunroof, heated leather.It also has the SmartKey device.(doesnt need a key. You simply carry a card in your pocket/wallet and when you get close to the car, it unlocks. walk away locks, stand by trunk it opens.) Had a great feeling clutch/shift. It didnt sound like a "psychotic-vacuum cleaner" as motor trend reported.

Tell you the truth, I really liked it. Does it look as good as a TSX, of course not. does it have the iterior appeal as the TSX, of course not. Its a different car not marketed as a luxury vehicle, but a sport sedan.

I def. recommend a test drive.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:43 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

One of the car mags tried to test the mazdaspeed. Couldn't get it to perform, needs an intercooler or 100 octane or cold weather or sea level or something. Car did not work as intended. Buyers howling

If you want this kind of car, go subi legacy gt limited. Nice car, good reliability. Don't be scared by price. Can get maybe $2,000 off list, and sometimes they have an additional $1,000 to $2,000 cash back.

Why? I aint paying $30,000 for a subi
Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

maaaaaaaaaaaaaazda speed haha the maaaaaaaaaaazda speed miata lol idiot.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

so you want a lexus?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gilboman
so you want a lexus?
GO AWAY TROLL

Peddle your Lexus bullshit somewhere else.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is funny how the TSX is being portrayed as more mature when the average age is 16-24. Everything you are stating that is better than the mazda is exactly where the quality of materials falls short on the TSX vs. other brands you bash. BMW, Audi, Lexus etc. The TSX is good, reliable, sporty family sedan. Despite the Acura badge it is not luxury. No one would call an Accord a luxury car would they? The TSX is a Rebadged Accord. A family car that is a little sportier and good reliability. Also I would be interested in seeing who leases their cars vs. buying them, and who keeps there cars for more than 4-5 years. I have already seen 2004's trade hands for 06's. If the average ownership is less than 4-5 years than the reliability kind of goes out the window. I just paid $122.90 for my 10,000 mile service on the TSX. Have never paid a penny for the A4. Also the service tech at Acura had to fix a few rattles on the car. His quote was " they really skimp on insulation materials on the TSX so they end up with a lot of noises and sound like a tin can. It pretty common to have to strip them apart and put in more sound deadening." The service advisor right away said the same thing when I first told her about it. So if ownership is not that long then the reliability is small peanuts compared with it's short comings. Oh, The service guy also said he used to work at Lexus. He said hands down that they are built way better. Unfortunately Acura pays him more.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTC05
It is funny how the TSX is being portrayed as more mature when the average age is 16-24. Everything you are stating that is better than the mazda is exactly where the quality of materials falls short on the TSX vs. other brands you bash. BMW, Audi, Lexus etc. The TSX is good, reliable, sporty family sedan. Despite the Acura badge it is not luxury. No one would call an Accord a luxury car would they? The TSX is a Rebadged Accord. A family car that is a little sportier and good reliability. Also I would be interested in seeing who leases their cars vs. buying them, and who keeps there cars for more than 4-5 years. I have already seen 2004's trade hands for 06's. If the average ownership is less than 4-5 years than the reliability kind of goes out the window. I just paid $122.90 for my 10,000 mile service on the TSX. Have never paid a penny for the A4. Also the service tech at Acura had to fix a few rattles on the car. His quote was " they really skimp on insulation materials on the TSX so they end up with a lot of noises and sound like a tin can. It pretty common to have to strip them apart and put in more sound deadening." The service advisor right away said the same thing when I first told her about it. So if ownership is not that long then the reliability is small peanuts compared with it's short comings. Oh, The service guy also said he used to work at Lexus. He said hands down that they are built way better. Unfortunately Acura pays him more.
So you've done a survey and know the average age of all TSX drivers? Link? FYI - a survey on this board is not representative of the general population. Acura markets them toward young professionals 30+ and making a nice salary (if you know anything about the car).

Yes, the TSX is a good, reliable, entry-level sport-luxury sedan that can haul a family. Acuras are considered "luxury" cars because they defined that category for Japanese automakers. Just because it is a re-badged European Accord (but not a 100% simple switch-the-badge if you know anything about the car) doesn't mean it's not an Acura.

I bought my car. Unless something unforseen happens, my family will still be driving it in 2014. I'm pretty certain I've seen a figure somewhere indicating that "average" car ownership is indeed shorter than that as you surmised. How long have you had your A4 and where will it be in 2014?

There are reports of rattles in A4's as well, not to mention other luxury brands. And then there's the wonderful track-record of that vehicle line and the speedy response of Audi to address things (note - that was extreme sarcasm). We know that Lexus is built a little better. And they cost more. And they drive more like a Buick than a BMW. The TSX drives more like a BMW than a Lexus.

I wouldn't touch a VW with a 10 foot pole.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I'd rather have a rattle in my tincan Acura than the electrical system screw up in an Audi In my one test drive of an A3 a headlight was out w/ a light on the dash, the salesman said just ignore it. And Audi is cancelling their free maintence program likely because... it costs them too much money
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
so you want a lexus?
Whoa!? The masochist martyr is back!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Instructor

I think the better comparo for the Mazdaspeed 6 is with the Legacy GT spec b.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It mostly is a switch the badge, And that is knowing quite a bit about the car. It is no secret that the greatest portion of american car buyers lease. Americans are well known for living in debt and above there means. Because of this young professionals 30+ are easily swayed into a TL or just opt for the BMW or Audi. Example, my lease on the TSX is $325 a month. The dealer right away tried to get me to look at a TL for $395. For just a cup of Starbucks a day, I could drive a TL instead. The local Audi dealer also has billboards with A4 leases of $324 a month on a Quattro model for 24 months. BMW has a 325 advertised for $365. The young professional wants to feel like he or she has finally made it, and all of these models will be that much more impressive at the class reunion. Unfortunately this is the American way. I already have the A4, so when I needed a reliable 4 door that could hold a baby seat in the back, give me good mileage and be a little sportier than the Accord, the TSX was the answer. So even though Acura targets the 30+, the 20 somethings are buying them. The 40+ are buying RL's and 30+ TL's. And I hate to break the news to you but the old IS300 would beat up a TSX and the new IS does a fair job as well. So as far as it driving like a Buick? maybe the ES.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

some of you have totally been sucked in by the advertising...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
Whoa!? The masochist martyr is back!
I took a look at the post dates just make sure I wasn't seeing things.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:40 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

So even though Acura targets the 30+, the 20 somethings are buying them. The 40+ are buying RL's and 30+ TL's.
Bullshit. I have seen at least 20 distinct TSXs in this area and have seen exactly one TSX driver under 30 outside an AZ meet -- and he pulled over to ask me if I post on AZ! Most TSXs I see are driven by 30-to-50-year-old women, actually. My neighbor (40yo woman) almost bought a TSX but she went with a 325xi because she's paranoid and wanted AWD. By contrast I have seen quite a few 18-24's in TLs.

And the TSX is not a rebadged USDM Accord. There is no similar car you can buy in the US or Canada. The fact that it is called an Accord and sold with different option/engine combinations in the EDM and JDM is irrelevant; almost every car is badged and marketed differently in these very different markets.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpt
Bullshit. I have seen at least 20 distinct TSXs in this area and have seen exactly one TSX driver under 30 outside an AZ meet -- and he pulled over to ask me if I post on AZ! Most TSXs I see are driven by 30-to-50-year-old women, actually. My neighbor (40yo woman) almost bought a TSX but she went with a 325xi because she's paranoid and wanted AWD. By contrast I have seen quite a few 18-24's in TLs.

And the TSX is not a rebadged USDM Accord. There is no similar car you can buy in the US or Canada. The fact that it is called an Accord and sold with different option/engine combinations in the EDM and JDM is irrelevant; almost every car is badged and marketed differently in these very different markets.
Because most of the young TSX drivers (at least by heart ) are from Toronto!

Wasn't the Accord Euro Type-S is very very close to our TSX in terms of technical spec?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 AM
No-navi, yo

Troll... ... alarm...... going..... crazy...

Must... resisst ... to post....
Old 06-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Have camera, will travel

It mostly is a switch the badge, And that is knowing quite a bit about the car. It is no secret that the greatest portion of american car buyers lease. Americans are well known for living in debt and above there means. Because of this young professionals 30+ are easily swayed into a TL or just opt for the BMW or Audi. Example, my lease on the TSX is $325 a month. The dealer right away tried to get me to look at a TL for $395. For just a cup of Starbucks a day, I could drive a TL instead. The local Audi dealer also has billboards with A4 leases of $324 a month on a Quattro model for 24 months. BMW has a 325 advertised for $365. The young professional wants to feel like he or she has finally made it, and all of these models will be that much more impressive at the class reunion. Unfortunately this is the American way. I already have the A4, so when I needed a reliable 4 door that could hold a baby seat in the back, give me good mileage and be a little sportier than the Accord, the TSX was the answer. So even though Acura targets the 30+, the 20 somethings are buying them. The 40+ are buying RL's and 30+ TL's. And I hate to break the news to you but the old IS300 would beat up a TSX and the new IS does a fair job as well. So as far as it driving like a Buick? maybe the ES.
Wow, more sweeping generalizations in one paragraph then I've read on this board in a couple of months.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The TSX is a Rebadged Accord. A family car that is a little sportier and good reliability.
Yes, rebadged from the Accord OVERSEAS, where the car has a totally different market than the USDM Accord. They are different cars with different intentions, so don't make the mistake by saying that the TSX is a rebadged USDM Accord.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed 6 Eats TSX For Lunch?!?!